Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Almost 12 years since Mona Lisa Smile and Julia Roberts is still the highest paid actress ever.

Why is this record not broken even today? The highest I heard after that was 21 or 22 million for Jolie and that too a year or two back. Why aren't actresses today unable to match the star power of Julia ?

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2020 12:56 AM

FYI Julia was paid 25 million dollars for MLS which was almost 40% of the film's total budget. Yes, 40%

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2015 8:25 PM

"Why aren't actresses today unable to match the star power of Julia ?"

There are - people just realized that NO ONE is worth $21 million. Not even Julia (Mona Lisa Smile bombed)

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2015 8:31 PM

[quote]Why aren't actresses today unable to match the star power of Julia ?

Because Julia swallowed.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2015 8:43 PM

I can't believe she starred in a flick called Mona Lisa Smile. This is a more accurate artistic depiction of Ms. Roberts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2015 9:18 PM

Please don't post troll responses guys. Let's have some discussions.Ok ?

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2015 9:26 PM

How much did Topher Grace get paid? He was the only reason to see this shitfest.

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2015 9:42 PM

Big budget movies aren't about stars anymore. They're about CG spectacle and nobodies in superhero costumes. Those are what make the big bucks.

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2015 9:44 PM

Because like it or not, Julia Roberts was the last female movie star. Not Streep, not Bullock, and certainly not JLaw.

by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2015 2:19 AM

Her cunt is truly snatchtastic

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2015 2:38 AM

This is BORING! Let's talk about COLTON HAYNES!

by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2015 2:48 AM

r8, all the women you mention are stars - more so than Julia

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2015 8:18 PM

OP, salaries for top actors have fallen, that's all.

Movie studios have realized that in today's entertainment climate, no actor on Earth is a reliable film box-office draw. Julia was fortunate enough to be a young actress in an era when they hadn't figured that out, that's the secret of her success.

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2015 8:26 PM

Movies have changed so much since Julia Roberts headlined movies. Last year, there were ZERO romantic comedies in the top 100 grossing films.

One day, maybe Jennifer Lawrence will get there but there's so few projects being developed for young actresses today (or older ones like Bullock) that it makes it difficult for them to capitalize on their successes and move on to the next project. There's just no pipeline...

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2015 11:44 PM

And how successful was Mona Lisa Smile?

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2015 6:48 AM

When I was teaching English in Japan, there was a young Yakuza guy who paid for English lessons. Since he paid, our conversation school still had to teach him but most of the teachers were scared of him and refused to teach him. Since I was new, young and Asian American, they made me his teacher. When I asked him why he wanted to learn English, he always replied, "I want to fakku juria robertsu."

by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2015 7:25 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2015 2:38 PM

r11 is in their teens to early 20s and doesn't even get where female movie stars were on the radar before Julia Roberts happened. They didn't exist any more. Period. Sandra Bullock got chances and has always capitalized on Julia's trailblazing. Roberts turned down quite a few (to Sandra's benefit) more that just a few Bullock movies. Sandra is a scab, always was (since she looks like a homely, faucet nosed lesbian) and made the best career a scab ever has out of it.

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2015 3:12 AM

"is in their teens to early 20s and doesn't even get where female movie stars were on the radar before Julia Roberts happened."

No, I'm actually old enough to remember Julia's "glory days" and her accomplishments are not unique. There are still bankable movie stars out there. Meryl Streep is still playing leading lady roles at 60+ years old (God bless her) and has had remarkable longevity in an industry that is harsh towards aging women

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2015 7:31 PM

R18 I mostly agree with you. Julia got lucky where she happened. But I do think it's somewhat unique to get studios to push female driven films. She did do that imo. Much of the 70s and 80s studios did not make many movies with movies at the center on a regular basis. They dismissed it could be lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2015 6:04 AM

*with women at the center I meant

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2015 6:16 AM

You still don't get it and obviously won't if you continue to talk of Streep. I mean that Julia Roberts was the last female movie S T A R. That era seems over but she was the last to possess whatever it is that makes one a star on screen. Streep never had that and never will. Bullock is a TV show kind of actress and certainly has no screen impact. Even in August Osage County Meryl looked like a sketch player loon and Julia like an Ansel Adams portrait. She has real presence on film, and the world for a long time agreed.

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2015 6:32 AM

I've got what she had! Tell me her secret!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2015 6:32 AM

R21 says it better than anyone has. Julia was very big and very good for the industry in her heyday. That's why most of her peers have respect for her. She is widely admired. Most performers know what a feat hammering any kind of power into the film business means. She belongs in the Hepburns, Monroe, Davis, Crawford, Taylor, Streisand, Fonda conversations.

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2015 6:49 AM

Julia also made the faghag cool. After My Best Friend's Wedding we saw Will and Grace get developed and all kinds "best gay" characters all over. I hate the term best gay.

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2015 7:03 AM

I've never seen MLS. Any good?

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2020 12:44 AM

The costumes were nice... I can't remember who designed them.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2020 12:46 AM

This thread is adorable.

I got $70m for Gravity.

It's all about the back-end deal now.

Julia wouldn't know what that is given she's so frontloaded.

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2020 12:54 AM

It's because her acting ability is so much greater than ours.

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2020 12:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!