Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Name famous people you'd never heard of until after their deaths

For me it's Aaliyah and some of the rappers who have been murdered.

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2020 9:20 PM

I'm hoping to hear all about Kanye West soon.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2015 3:06 AM

Michaelangelo, Hitler, Queen Elizabeth I, Titian, Washington, most anyone who died before 1965 or so.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2015 3:23 AM

r3 Are you sure you don't mean 1950 or so?

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2015 3:30 AM

Selena

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2015 3:35 AM

George Washington

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2015 3:42 AM

Dale Earnhardt, Sr.

I had just moved to the South the year he died, and when it happened people acted like the President had died. I had no idea who he was.

Thank God I moved out of the South again.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2015 4:12 AM

[quote]Selena

Came here to say the same thing. I remember a friend of mine was visiting the weekend after she died and we kept hearing the story about her death on news updates. My friend finally looked at me and said "Are we supposed to have known this person?"

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2015 4:49 AM

Elliott Smith. Then became a huge fan of his music.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2015 5:05 AM

Selena here also.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2015 5:37 AM

Nick Drake

Actually, nobody had heard of Nick Drake until after his death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2015 6:00 AM

Corine Blakemore

(yes you haven't heard of her now but just wait until she goes!)

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2015 6:07 AM

OP is 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2015 6:56 AM

I might say Bill Hicks, but I was aware of him prior to his death (I'd seen him do a relatively innocuous set on an HBO Rodney Dangerfield special). I wasn't aware of his amazing mostly political work until just after he died, and that's always haunted me.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2015 8:14 AM

Kurt Cobain.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2015 8:50 AM

Eva Cassidy

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2015 11:27 AM

DL fave Louise Rainer

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2015 4:16 PM

Poor Jenni Rivera

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2015 4:20 PM

Townes Van Zandt and Bill Hicks.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2015 4:47 PM

Michael Jackson

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2015 11:19 PM

JonBenét Ramsey

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2015 11:25 PM

River Phoenix

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2015 11:37 PM

Aaliyah, Paul Walker. Tupac Shakur. Pretty much any rapper, hip hopper, and athlete.

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2015 12:38 AM

Aaliyah, Paul Walker, Cole Tucker

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2015 12:41 AM

Lefty "One Eye" Lopez.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2015 12:43 AM

Same here, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2015 12:47 AM

Paul Walker

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2015 12:48 AM

R24, You mean Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes.

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2015 12:50 AM

Dick Van Patten. But then I'm not American.

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2015 12:56 AM

Paul Walker, but I saw him in one of his early movies, and he was beautiful. I looked him up on IMDB and realized he was the guy the media made such a big deal about when he died. Still, he didn't leave a history of particularly good movies. Money-makers, yes, but not good movies.

by Anonymousreply 29June 26, 2015 1:04 AM

[quote]Came here to say the same thing. I remember a friend of mine was visiting the weekend after she died and we kept hearing the story about her death on news updates. My friend finally looked at me and said "Are we supposed to have known this person?"

R4, R7, R9 are you guys white or black?

Selena was not known in the mainstream media, but she was a big deal in the Latin community. I'm Guatemalan, but came to the US (Massachusetts) as a kid and had a typical American upbringing. If it hadn't been for my older sister and her Puerto Rican boyfriend/friends, I probably wouldn't have heard of her, either. My sister also used to get magazines like Hispanic and Más, which were English-language magazines aimed at Latino-Americans. Anyway, they always featured established Latin stars and up-and-comers. Selena was pretty much established in the Latin American community by 1995, when she died. What she was trying to do was break into the American mainstream media, and she was being propositioned as the next big star, which was exciting for many of us Hispanic Americans, because, other than Gloria Estefan, there wasn't another viable Hispanic singer in the American market., certainly not female. But Estefan was nearing forty and had a niche market, and Selena at 23 was fresh blood and was expected to invigorate the Latino market in the US. She was called the 'Mexican Madonna' because she was expected to become as big as her. She had the voice like Whitney and Mariah and the dance moves like Madonna and Janet.

That's why her death was a big blow to the Latino community. Little did we know, that in death she would be an asset, anyway. After the issue of People which featured her death (and had FRIENDS on the cover) sold out, People Magazine decided to do a commemorative issue, which they had only done twice before -- for Audrey Hepburn in 1993 and Jackie O. in 1994. Those sold out like hot cakes, so People printed some more. When those sold out, too, they decided to start People en Español, which was launched the following year. Her death also got massive coverage, never before accorded a Hispanic star, never mind a heretofore unknown. Thousands from all over the country and Latin America passed by her casket. It was insane! Needless to say, Selena's death and massive coverage of her death helped to usher in the so-called Latin Explosion of the late 1990s (Enrique Iglesias, Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, Thalia, Shakira, Mark Anthony).

The movie of her life (released two years later) also set a milestone, when Jennifer Lopez (in her lead role debut) became the highest-paid Latina in Hollywood with $1 million, which was a big deal at the time. It's hard for people today to imagine, what with popular Latin singers like Selena Gomez and Ariana Grande and established actresses like Sofia Vergara, Eva Mendez, Eva Longoria, Michelle Rodriguez, Salma Hayek, how devoid of Latinos the American mainstream was. Heck, the year Selena died (1995), the movie THE PEREZ FAMILY was released with Italians Marisa Tomei and Chazz Palminteri and Scotch-Irish actress Anjelica Huston playing Cubans. Not to mention, in 1993, Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, Jeremy Irons, and Winona Ryder playing Latin Americans in THE HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS. Today, there would be an outrage!

Anyway, my point is that Selena wasn't just this random nobody whose death coverage was a fluke. She was already famous in the Latin American community and lit up a whole road of possibility for a generation. I know that sounds corny, but that's how we felt back then.

by Anonymousreply 30June 26, 2015 4:24 AM

Ricardo Klement

by Anonymousreply 31June 26, 2015 4:32 AM

Thank you for the information, R30. I learned a lot from what you wrote.

by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2015 6:31 AM

Great post, R30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2020 9:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!