Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ridiculous Tourist Attractions

My college friends were in town (Washington, DC) and wanted me to take them to the "Exorcist Stairs." I obliged but was laughing to myself. However, the stairs were packed with out-of-towners so my friends were in good company.

What are some of the (other) most ridiculous tourist attractions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 16, 2020 7:39 AM

Abba The Museum.

Stockholm.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2015 9:38 PM

9/11 Museum

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2015 9:53 PM

The Amityville House. I was even in Pa once talking to someone and I said was from Long Island ( didn't say where) and the guy said "Oh I was just there last week. My girlfriend and I went to see The Amityville Horror House.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2015 9:58 PM

Here ya go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2015 10:03 PM

Isn't there a corn-hole palace in Iowa?

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2015 10:21 PM

Lots of things with TV and movie connections, especially for shows and movies from the distant past. Examples: The Rocky statue, Philadelphia. The Bull and Finch Bar (inspiration for "Cheers"), Boston. The Ponderosa Ranch, Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2015 10:24 PM

The Salt Museum in Northwich, England. 'Explore the history and science of salt production in Cheshire' !

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2015 10:27 PM

Thanks, r4. That's a great site. And everyone else's posts are pretty damn funny, too -- even the 9/11 Museum mention (I've been there and it was oddly Disneyesque).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2015 10:32 PM

I used to see commercials for Gaslight Village when I was a kid. Never went, but it always made me think of poor Ingrid Bergman in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2015 10:36 PM

Only a gay kid would think of poor Ingrid. I'm right there with you, r9

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2015 10:41 PM

Trump Tower, but lately, it's the one on his neck that makes people gawk.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2015 10:53 PM

The Al Capone grave. Many of my relatives are buried in the cemetery across the street and One time I decided to find it. I felt like a dork getting out of the car and snapping a pic, but shortly after I did, another group pulled up and did the same thing.. It mostly Italian Catholics And there are actually a lot of gangsters buried there, so it's quite interesting.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2015 10:57 PM

I've heard they since moved it, but I used to live near the scary house from the Halloween movie. I always had to drive visitors past it at night.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2015 10:59 PM

It's a real tourist attraction, but Plymouth Rock is the most underwhelming piece of roadside kitsch I ever stopped at.

It's nothing but a tiny little rock with "1620" carved into it, and even assuming it's real (and that's in question), there's nothing to see except all your fellow tourists arriving, peering down into the pit, saying "WTF?" to themselves and leaving--all in about 15 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2015 11:02 PM

r12, I used to live in Oak Park and would walk past (long-dead )Sam Giancana's house en route to Gina's Italian Ice. More often than not there would be tourists snapping pix outside of Giancana's home. The "Mob" is a big draw in Chicago. A friend lives on the block of the Blagojevich home and told me tourists flock there, too.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2015 11:10 PM

R15. I grew up on that block--used to trick or treating there.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2015 11:15 PM

The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. It's just a bridge! I drive across it everyday to go to work.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2015 11:27 PM

Actually.... nobody asks.

But I drive them past it anyway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2015 11:37 PM

I once went to a seminar in Georgetown, and the people that ran the event told us where we could go after dinner to see those Exorcist steps.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2015 11:39 PM

Carrie's townhouse on "Sex and the City" on Perry Street! You should see the frau hordes coming by to photograph it!

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2015 11:56 PM

Nicole Simpson's townhouse. People STILL drive past even though it's been redesigned, the number's been changed and you can't see anything. Rockingham no longer has guards but people aren't that interested in it. Thankfully, Mezzaluna closed so "fans" can reproduce Nicole's last dinner.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2015 12:03 AM

The Longaberger headquarters building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2015 12:04 AM

Plymouth Rock - it's a stupid rock that people spit on, throw chewing gum on, and spray graffiti on. You stand there with a bunch of other tourists and all of you are thinking, "Why the hell did I come here?"

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2015 12:12 AM

The Mary Tyler Moore statue in downtown Minneapolis. Every gay man I've ever known from out of town wants to see it.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2015 12:17 AM

MTM statue:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2015 12:18 AM

The Corn Palace is in Mitchell, SD.

It's where I'll be buried.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2015 12:21 AM

I want to see the Mary Tyler Moore statue in Minneapolis.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2015 12:26 AM

Your bombarded with the Stuckey's Pecan Log for miles.It's fun if your a kid though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2015 12:26 AM

The Bakelite Museum. It's exactly as described here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2015 12:38 AM

Whenever I'm in England, I never miss an opportunity to visit the Pencil Museum. It is the birthplace of the world's FIRST PENCIL and should be on everyone's bucket list.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2015 12:48 AM

Niagara Falls---natural beauty surrounded by absolute crap.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2015 12:48 AM

r30, how else could we possibly do tribute to the wondrous household implement that made it possible for us to dial phones without breaking our nails?

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2015 12:56 AM

I will add another vote for Plymouth Rock. What an underwhelming disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2015 12:58 AM

The Pencil Museum also has the WORLDS LARGEST PENCIL, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2015 1:01 AM

Blarney Stone

Anne of Green Gables house in PEI

Crazy Horse, it'll never get finished btw

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2015 1:02 AM

Plymouth Rock is not much worse than that "Southernmost Point" monument in Key West. Or the Four Corners in AZ/UT/NM/CO.

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2015 1:02 AM

After having finished your epic tour of the PENCIL MUSEUM, wander over 3,000 miles to Japan and see the ERASURE MUSEUM for all of you malcontents who HAVE to be different.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2015 1:04 AM

Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, which has no attraction other than being a tourist attraction.

It started out as a harbor like any other, and tourists came for some reason, so they started adding wax museums and restaurants and aquariums and all sorts of tourist crap. It's so meta.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2015 1:07 AM

Here's one the lezzies may want to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2015 1:07 AM

The inspirational World's Largest Ball of String.

This is the 2nd one. The first one actually burned down when a tourist accidentally threw away his lighted cigarette on it. The town almost went out of business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2015 1:11 AM

Mount Rushmore seems to deeply disappoint the punters. It's about a million miles from the visitor center to the actual carvings, the view you get from the visitor center is not as good as any 25 cent postcard you've ever seen, and tourists seem surprised to discover that they can't climb around on it like Cary Grant in North by Northwest.

by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2015 1:18 AM

The Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 22, 2015 1:21 AM

Wall Drug, SD.

South Dakota, is home to so many ridiculous and totally disappointing tourist attractions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2015 1:24 AM

The Diner from Seinfeld. I was I an airport shuttle bus and we stopped near the diner to pick someone up and these guys from Sweden on the bus with me went ape shit. I told them we probably had enough time if they wanted to get a picture. They jumped off and got photos. I thought it was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2015 1:31 AM

Wall Drug is the worst. South Dakota has a lot of natural beauty though. I have been twice and loved the scenery. Mt. Rushmore was alright, I didn't mind the walk to the sight. The best of South Dakota is off the beaten path though!

by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2015 1:33 AM

World's Fairs and Expos are filled with ridiculous tourist attractions.

Dubai is a ridiculous tourist attraction.

The New York Wheel on Staten Island is going to SUCK BIG TIME and piss people off while ripping them off.

A ticket to the main observation deck of the Empire State Building is over 30 bucks and includes waiting. THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 46June 22, 2015 1:42 AM

The beach

by Anonymousreply 47June 22, 2015 1:55 AM

R39 Before I clicked on the link I noticed the .CA website domain and immediately thought -- Anne Murray's Birthplace!

by Anonymousreply 48June 22, 2015 1:56 AM

The Hollywood Sign (especially since it's cordoned off so you can't climb on the letters anymore) and the Hollywood Walk of Fame (it's just a sidewalk with plaques of stars).

by Anonymousreply 49June 22, 2015 2:07 AM

Plymouth Rock is a disappointment, however, nearby Plimoth Plantation is excellent.

The Alamo is in the middle of San Antonio and is much smaller than I thought it would be, and also has some kitschy crap across the street like the Ripley's Believe It or Not museum.

Coit Tower in San Francisco is nothing when you get there. Though I love the city otherwise, and love the tower as a viewpoint.

Anywhere in Houston. There's no historical landmark, and when you ask someone where to go, you know you're in trouble anywhere when someone replies "Well, you could go to the Galleria."

South of the Border, not only tedious but downright nightmarish at 11pm.

by Anonymousreply 50June 22, 2015 5:08 PM

Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 51June 22, 2015 5:18 PM

Has anyone went to The Thing in Arizona? I drove past there many yars ago, saw about a dozen billboards for it, but didn't stop. I figured it'd be dumb and a waste of time, but i kind of regret not stopping in. What was the Thing? I kind of pictured a chubacabra in a jar...

by Anonymousreply 52June 22, 2015 5:36 PM

[quote]Has anyone went

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 53June 22, 2015 5:39 PM

Apparently, The Thing is a fake mummy that was used in sideshows. I've never been, but I'm bored and I had to google it.

by Anonymousreply 54June 22, 2015 5:42 PM

I spent a weekend in Astoria, Oregon and rode the little $1 tram where they pointed out where The Goonies and Kindergarten Cop were filmed. Very cute little coastal town and it is quite adorable how proud the locals are about those films.

by Anonymousreply 55June 22, 2015 5:46 PM

In Boston, the Cheers Bar at the Hampshire House. Like you will see Sam, Diane, Norm and the gang.

Or in Key West, Sloppy Joe's Bar, which is not the original Sloppy's that Hemingway frequented.

I find it very interesting that so many people give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 56June 22, 2015 5:47 PM

I love these places and have been to the majority of the ones listed above! BTW, very near the Cadillac Ranch is "The Largest Cross in North America" in case you're going!

My partner dragged me to The Goonies house (R55) and I also loved Astoria and that entire area. The Columbia River Gorge is beautiful.

Nearby Portland has my nominee for a truly ridiculous tourist attraction- the "smallest park in the world" . OY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2015 6:09 PM

The National Mustard Museum in Middleton, Wisconsin. Stopped there while on a road trip with bf. We were both in a silly mood.

r50, Houston has some local attractions, the Orange Show and the Beer Can House. You can tour NASA, but I'm told it's underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 58June 22, 2015 6:26 PM

The giant pair of knitting needles near Paris Ontario to commemorate the Mary Maxim factory there.

by Anonymousreply 59June 22, 2015 6:33 PM

I was in Arizona in May, and yes, the ads for "The Thing" are still there.

I didn't stop, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 22, 2015 7:08 PM

I love Portland and their slogan, "Keep Portland Weird." Back in the 80's and 90's there used to be a Church of Elvis down around where Voodoo Donuts is now, wish it had not disappeared. It had odd animatronics hooked up to a computer with a robot synthesizer voice that would dispense handmade little Elvis trinkets or your fortune if you deposited 50 cents, and you could get "married" there.

by Anonymousreply 61June 22, 2015 8:17 PM

The Friends building in Greenwich Village. It's just an apartment building that they shot the exterior of to fill in set-up shots for a sitcom. It's not like Monica and Chandler and Joey actually live there.

Several years ago, I heard this woman talking about how she couldn't leave New York City without visiting the Friends House. I thought she was talking about a Quaker church where she could buy homemade quilts and jars of jam.

by Anonymousreply 62June 22, 2015 8:25 PM

Jurassic Park

by Anonymousreply 63June 22, 2015 8:35 PM

Montreal used to have the Midget Palace. I think it closed in the 90s. My father offered to take me there when I was around five, after a trip to Chateau Ramezay and a few other sights in Old Montreal, it was a ten minute drive away up in the Plateau. I asked how big the midgets were and he said about my size. I was so bewildered at the thought of being mistaken for one of them and forced to stay there I said I'd rather go home.

by Anonymousreply 64June 22, 2015 8:46 PM

When I lived in Chicago I couldn't believe how many people hit town convinced that their trip would be a failure if they didn't try Chicago deep dish pizza, usually at Uno's.

Long lines, indifferent service, overpriced, and generally like eating a microwaved block of cheese, I would put up with it just to enjoy their disappointment. No one ever asked to go a second time.

by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2015 9:53 PM

Disney World, Disneyland. I hate that Americana, family, pristine, perfect, fake bullshit. It bores me and annoys me to death.

by Anonymousreply 66June 22, 2015 10:11 PM

I'd never heard of this Midgets' Palace place. It apparently closed in 1990 and then operated as a bathhouse for a time. If you do a map search, it looks like it's been torn down and replaced with new construction.

by Anonymousreply 67June 22, 2015 10:47 PM

Lombard Street, San Francisco.

Really, people line up and clog the traffic for the privilege of driving down a windy street?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 22, 2015 11:06 PM

I went to Bedrock City, AZ (just south of the Grand Canyon) a couple weeks ago. They're trying to sell the place, so I figured I had better see it before it's gone. It was built in the early 70s, and I don't think it has ever been renovated since they opened it. I love kitschy crap, so I had a blast. There's a creepy theatre where they run an old Flintstones episode on a loop on a filthy screen, a bunch of buildings like Fred's House, Barney's House, a salon, etc. And barely any visitors (we were there for a couple hours and saw about 3 other people).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 22, 2015 11:10 PM

Yes r67, they say 961 Rachel est, but I remember it being on the block east of Christophe-Colomb, between Christophe-Colomb and De la Roche, facing Parc Lafontaine, I used to live farther up on Christophe-Colomb, between Mont-Royal and Gilford. I'd pass that area frequently on my way home from the Village. The place I knew as the Midget Palace looked as if it would fit in on any street in the Plateau, like any other duplex or triplex, maybe more stained glass windows and more ornate cornices, but nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 70June 22, 2015 11:11 PM

"Coit Tower in San Francisco is nothing when you get there. Though I love the city otherwise, and love the tower as a viewpoint."

I like Coit Tower, or rather Telegraph Hill. The tower itself is nothing but the views are magnificent, there are some lovely paths that lead up and down the hill, and you may see the flock of wild parrots. And if you don't go on a summer weekend, there might even be parking!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 22, 2015 11:11 PM

Re Plymouth Rock: It used to be much, much bigger. A huge boulder, in fact. But over the centuries, it was chipped away by fortune-seekers as souvenirs/keepsakes, so ti was eventually whittled down to that little lump it is now. That's why it's housed inside that superstructure to keep vandals at bay.

by Anonymousreply 72June 22, 2015 11:17 PM

R70, all of the literature puts it on Rachel est. If you find old photos and compare the two buildings beside it, they facades are the same. I also found this intriguing documentary at the link below, which includes a segment on the museum. I feel like Nancy Drew!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 23, 2015 1:07 AM

R25, where's the statue of the bespectacled old lady in the background who looks at MTM like she's on crack when she throws her hat in the air?

by Anonymousreply 74June 23, 2015 1:12 AM

R58 You could take a world tour of mustard museums

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 23, 2015 2:14 PM

R75 again - link didn't work

In France - http://www.fallot.com/en/

In UK - http://www.mustardshopnorwich.co.uk/

by Anonymousreply 76June 23, 2015 2:16 PM

House On The Rock: Tiny, trippy house on top of 500 pole barns crammed with rich hoarder shit. The tour is never-ending.

It's a shame the owner was never my cheating boyfriend - breaking all of his shit would be therapeutic.

by Anonymousreply 77June 23, 2015 2:33 PM

St. Valentine's Day Massacre site, Chicago. It's an empty lot. The garage was torn down and one wall moved to Canada. Now it's in Las Vegas. It's just a brick wall, people. But Chicago was left with an empty lot, and yet still people come and take photos of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 23, 2015 4:09 PM

R78, I've heard that lot is haunted.

by Anonymousreply 79June 23, 2015 4:16 PM

Jackie Onassis' butcher

by Anonymousreply 80June 23, 2015 4:41 PM

R80, that would not be ridiculous.

Add two of her consignment shops plus her drycleaner and you'd deliver a kick-ass Klonopin spirit journey.

by Anonymousreply 81June 24, 2015 1:05 PM

The dog on the tuckerbox, five miles from Gundagai (NSW, Australia).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 24, 2015 1:34 PM

Holsten's Brookdale Confectionery in Bloomfield, NJ (where the last scene from The Sopranos was shot.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 24, 2015 1:44 PM

Whenever I'm in LA and have a little time to kill, I go by the former May Company on Crenshaw (now, unfortunately a Macy's). Bette Davis filmed THE STAR on location there, and in the movie's best scene, Bette, a former movie star-turned-shopgirl tells off a couple of haughty matrons, then stomps down the escalator and out the door. I always get a kick out of stomping down that same escalator, just like Bette. Funny, nobody else seems to share my passion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2015 2:10 PM

Times Square.

WTF are you people going there to look at?

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2015 2:17 PM

The "Exorcist Stairs" are actually legitimately scary. They're very steep and there's just a creepy feeling you get walking up or down them. My friends and I took a series of photographs of us "falling" down them many years ago. Out of the entire roll of film, each of those photos came out completely black.

At the top of the stairs, you can also find The Tombs below 1789 restaurant. The Tombs, of course, was the inspiration for "St. Elmo's Fire."

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2015 2:50 PM

[quote]My friends and I took a series of photographs of us "falling" down them many years ago. Out of the entire roll of film, each of those photos came out completely black.

Or the Fotomat was fucking with you guys.

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2015 2:54 PM

...or they forgot to take off the lens cap before photographing the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2015 3:57 PM

The city of Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2015 4:03 PM

"The Hollywood Sign (especially since it's cordoned off so you can't climb on the letters anymore) "

Oh, damn

by Anonymousreply 90June 24, 2015 4:14 PM

One that I love is the Carmen Miranda Museum in Rio de Janeiro.

by Anonymousreply 91June 24, 2015 4:22 PM

The idiotic Cheers bar in Boston.

People line up & pay stupid amounts of money to go in , only to find that it doesn't look remotely like the bar on the TV show. Because it wasn't filmed there.

by Anonymousreply 92June 24, 2015 4:25 PM

Niagara Falls. Most boring vacation ever.

How long can you look at waterfalls? And there is nothing else to do.

Yeah a couple of centuries ago it must have been something but so much erosion has happened that it is now more impressive in the collective imagination.

The drive there is also agony.

by Anonymousreply 93June 24, 2015 6:14 PM

R92 I've seen people take selfies/group photos in front of the stairs/Cheers sign, because that was used as the establishing shot for the series. But I've never seen people line up to go inside the actual place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 24, 2015 6:18 PM

Branson,Mo

by Anonymousreply 95June 24, 2015 6:20 PM

The Civil War battlefields in Virginia. Drove past them a million times when growing up there. It's just a fucking field..

by Anonymousreply 96June 24, 2015 6:46 PM

I can't believe that there are 3 people on this thread with a connection to the Blago block in Chicago:

[R14], [R15], and me. I know someone who lives on that block.

by Anonymousreply 97June 24, 2015 6:51 PM

What I love about Plymouth Rock is that its not even the rock the Mayflower landed on. They kept getting requests in Plymouth from tourists who wanted to see Plymouth Rock, so they just arbitrarily chose a boulder and carved "1620" on it.

by Anonymousreply 98June 24, 2015 6:55 PM

[quote]What I love about Plymouth Rock is that its not even the rock the Mayflower landed on.

Thou liest Mistress Purity. It shall be the stocks for you and may God help your soul.

by Anonymousreply 99June 24, 2015 6:59 PM

it was a sad day when the statue of Rocky and Bullwinkle came down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 24, 2015 7:22 PM

[quote] it was a sad day when the statue of Rocky and Bullwinkle came down.

It's coming back now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 24, 2015 7:33 PM

I lived in Plymouth for several years. I used to watch people from China and India stare at this crappy rock. I wanted to say "Makes that Taj Mahal (or great wall) look pretty lousy, huh?"

by Anonymousreply 102June 24, 2015 7:40 PM

Oh, R100 and r101! Dad loading us into the car for pistachio ice cream cones and then driving us by the R&B statue was "Our Perfect Sunday"!

by Anonymousreply 103June 24, 2015 8:09 PM

r102, was it interesting to live there? We visited Plymouth several times when I was a kid. More for the beach, although we did do the history (Plimouth Plantation, etc). When I was a kid, I always thought it would be so interesting to live in a historical town.

by Anonymousreply 104June 24, 2015 8:13 PM

R103 why pistachio?

by Anonymousreply 105June 24, 2015 8:27 PM

[quote]why pistachio?

Eeets goood!

by Anonymousreply 106June 24, 2015 8:29 PM

R102: It was Rebublican hell. I was living in a mcmansion with my borderline ex. Also, I was taking care of people named Brewster and Bradford. Yep. The families never left after getting off the boat. Conservative narrow small town with a hillbilly contingent.

by Anonymousreply 107June 24, 2015 9:55 PM

[quote]Also, I was taking care of people named Brewster and Bradford. Yep. The families never left after getting off the boat. Conservative narrow small town with a hillbilly contingent.

Inbred hillbilly Mayflower Folk? That deserves its own thread, R107.

by Anonymousreply 108June 24, 2015 9:59 PM

Despite efforts to improve it, Hollywwod is still a pretty ridiculous tourist attraction.

by Anonymousreply 109July 3, 2015 3:53 PM

"Hollywood". How did autocorrect miss that?

by Anonymousreply 110July 3, 2015 3:55 PM

There's a scene in "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" where he's sitting in the mouth of a dinosaur at a dinosaur attraction near Palm Springs, CA. I stopped there and went into the gift shop (inside a dinosaur). I bought a Coke.

by Anonymousreply 111July 10, 2015 7:00 PM

R111 the Cabazon Dinosaurs! That has been on my must see list since I saw them in Pee Wee's Big Adventure and The Wizard. I don't care if it's the biggest tourist trap around, I will go there someday. Even if it's just to buy a coke.

by Anonymousreply 112July 12, 2015 4:40 AM

As someone said, Dubai. I used to live there. The tourist attractions are interesting for about 10 minutes. Oh by the way, tourists there tend to be rancid and the customer service tends to be worse.

by Anonymousreply 113July 12, 2015 5:08 AM

R29 Your link to the Bakelite Museum leads to a really entertaining site!

Fellow oddities enthusiasts and curiosity seekers should check it out. Lots of fun.

DIVERTING JOURNEYS: A Travelogue of Museums, Historic Homes, and Other Curious Destinations

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 12, 2015 5:45 AM

R69 It's nice to know that Bedrock City is still there. I visited it 35 years ago this summer. I rode in Fred's "foot-powered" automobile.

by Anonymousreply 115July 12, 2015 5:57 AM

The "Circus Trees" of Gilroy, Ca.

Many years ago, some mad arborist twisted a bunch of saplings into bizarre shapes, and they were a minor attraction up in the mountains where there were no other attractions. Then the strange trees were bought by someone who wanted to make money off of them, and they were moved out of the mountains to Gilroy, another place very lacking in attractions.

They weren't very profitable on their own, so a smallish amusement park has grown up around them. And I'm sure the noisy, hot, crowded amusement park is keeping away the people who are actually interested in strange trees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 12, 2015 7:06 AM

Heaven looks like Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. It may be my favorite place on earth. It's known for it's legendary natural stone urinal, which is gross.

We have an upcoming trip to Clown Motel--a clown-themed inn next to an old graveyard in a windswept, sparesly populated Nevada town. It looks ridiculous, if by "ridiculous" you mean AWESOME.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 12, 2015 7:28 AM

The other side of the coin is that a friend's brother came to visit from Florida. Even though they tried to talk him out of it, he was determined that one of the things he had to see was the Very Large Array that was featured in some Jodie Foster movie.

So they hauled him out there and then he was upset that it wasn't a tourist attraction. He expected fast food and cheap motels and couldn't believe they weren't there. He said in Florida it would have been set up for tourists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 12, 2015 6:34 PM

I went to the Very Large Array a couple years ago when we drove through NM. It was pretty forgettable. Now, Tinkertown...that was the real highlight of my trip. Kitsch heaven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 12, 2015 6:52 PM

Faunueil Hall Market in Boston. Navy Pier in Chicago. Both are oversized mall food courts.

by Anonymousreply 120July 12, 2015 7:34 PM

R118 that movie was CONTACT (1997). I remember that scene with the array.. It was short, though.

by Anonymousreply 121July 12, 2015 7:39 PM

The stall in the Carnegie Hall men's room where Virgil Thomson entertained during all of his premieres.

by Anonymousreply 122July 12, 2015 7:46 PM

Anything in Midtown.

by Anonymousreply 123April 15, 2020 4:26 AM

I lived in DC for nine years and have no idea where those Exorcist stairs are. Of course I've never seen the movie either. But no one who ever visited me or people that I knew while I lived there ever mentioned them to me. Not even once.

by Anonymousreply 124April 15, 2020 6:03 PM

Concrete corn in Ohio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125April 15, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote] I would put up with it just to enjoy their disappointment.

R65, that is absolutely profound! That's one of the best lines I've ever heard. I can't wait for the chance to use it myself.

by Anonymousreply 126April 15, 2020 6:31 PM

Tupperware Museum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 15, 2020 6:35 PM

No trip to Virginia is complete without a visit to the CB Fleet Enema Museum in Lynchburg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 15, 2020 6:37 PM

Not sure if it's an official tourist stop, but I was visiting a friend in San Francisco in the mid 90s and we went to the block where the Full House intro was filmed. I pretended to be one of the Olsen twins being chased by Uncle Jessie. That same trip we went to Bodega Bay and saw the school house. I pretended I was being chased by seagulls.

Yes, I know I'm weird. But all these years later I still find it all funny.

by Anonymousreply 129April 15, 2020 6:39 PM

R17 - I think the Golden Gate Bridge is absolutely worthy of tourism.

However, Copenhagen's Little Mermaid statue is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 130April 15, 2020 6:41 PM

The Wookey Hole Caves in Somerset, England. Besides having some really interesting cave formations, some of which you have to crawl on your stomach to get to, there is an adjacent paper mill, water wheel, dinosaur park, and some circus thing. Wookey Hole isn't as schlocky as it sounds. My two sons, who were quite young when we visited it, are now adults and they both say it was the highlight of our month-long trip to the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 15, 2020 7:07 PM

Not to be outdone by the Fleet Enema Museum in Virginia, the people of Zheleznovodsk, Russia, have their own magnificent enema monument to delight visitors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132April 15, 2020 7:15 PM

I had an out of town guest who was interested in the American Museum of Natural History solely to see where they filmed Night at the Museum. The actual content? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 133April 15, 2020 7:21 PM

Plymouth Rock. It’s a rock.

by Anonymousreply 134April 15, 2020 7:22 PM

The National Museum of Funeral History in Houston.

Actually it's a serious and interesting place to visit, although a bit on the macabre side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135April 15, 2020 7:27 PM

Dick Dock Provincetown MA

Which, by the way, is where the Pilgrims landed originally. NOT on or around Plymouth Rock.

by Anonymousreply 136April 15, 2020 7:29 PM

The Regent Beverly Wilshire of Pretty Woman fame now called something else. I cringe when an excited Frau relative or friend immediately wants to head for Rodeo Drive to buy nothing, eat nowhere and see the exterior of a fucking hotel that was not even used for interiors. I also always play busy and will catch up with people later when the wanna go to Hollywood Blvd. In no way do I have any intention of walking shoulder to shoulder with nerdy tourists stopping for a photo with every fucking name on a sidewalk they recognize.

by Anonymousreply 137April 15, 2020 7:29 PM

The statue has been updated and the museum is fun for Lucy fans, but couldn’t let this thread pass without mentioning the original scary Lucy monument.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 15, 2020 7:36 PM

The Popeye Village in Malta.

A shabby monument to a poor film from 40 years ago.

Shelley Duvall has weathered better than the abandoned set ($15pp entry fee)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139April 15, 2020 10:55 PM

I hear Plymouth Rock is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 140April 16, 2020 7:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!