Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Good child actors who are wooden adult actors

Tyler Hoechlin of Teen Wolf is a prime example. Wonderful in Road to Perdition but he's failed to impress me yet as an adult, barring his stunning German/Norwegian/Scottish/Irish/Cherokee looks. Maybe that'll change and he'll blow us all away.

What are yours?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2020 3:52 AM

Kristin Stewart was merely sufficient in "Panic Room" so not sure if she qualifies. But boy does she suck as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2015 1:50 PM

Natalie Portman has never given a performance unworthy of a Razzie since Léon: The Professional.

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2015 2:21 PM

Jodie Foster

Lindsay Lohan

Ryan Gosling

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2015 2:39 PM

Jerry Mathers as the Beaver. He was probably the most natural, funny, unaffected child actor ever. As soon as he hit puberty on the show it was all gone.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2015 2:50 PM

As children, were they good or good for a child?

Also, as a child, you're merely being asked to act like a child. The range of how a child responds and the manner of that response is a lot smaller and less nuanced than an adult which would have greater subtext and motivation for actions.

Or put another way, it's easier for a child to act like a child.

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2015 3:05 PM

Jodie Foster owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2015 3:09 PM

Really?

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2015 3:12 PM

Shirley Temple

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2015 8:27 PM

Foster has never given a finer performance than her turn as Iris, but few performers have, it's really well done. I thought both her Oscar turns were very strong, as well. I haven't seen many of her films since "Silence of the Lambs," but most of her performances I have seen have been pretty pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2015 8:31 PM

Jodie Foster did the same thing as Nicolas Cage—she sold out for box-office success with doing inferior films.

Like Nic Cage, Jodie Foster will never get nominated for another acting Oscar unless it's by accident.

Most of the "Good child actors who are wooden adult actors" became that way because they changed as human beings. They didn't develop their craft because, in all likelihood, they weren't passionate; but they decided they would continue with [italic]acting[/italic], anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2015 10:26 PM

Sara Gilbert was good as a teen on Roseanne and sucks now.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 5:39 AM

Luke Haas.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 5:58 AM

[Quote] Tyler Hoechlin of Teen Wolf is a prime example. Wonderful in Road to Perdition but he's failed to impress me yet as an adult

Baseball was his passion, not acting. He was good in Palm Springs though. I'm not expecting much with the new Superman show.

[Quote] But boy does she suck as an adult.

Kristen was good in Speak and The Runaways.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 12:15 PM

I think Tyler Hoechlin lost his acting skills during the traumatic experience of shooting the 7th Heaven musical episode.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 2:12 PM

Tatum O’Neal owns this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 2:26 PM

R11 Yes. The only two good actors when Roseanne returned a few years ago were 7 time Oscar winner Estelle Parsons, who was superlative as always. Sarah Chalke also turned into a wonderful actress over the years. Everyone else forgot how to act for a TV audience.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 2:31 PM

Jodie Foster has always been a good actress, whether getting gang raped in The Accused, playing a suit in Elysium, or a vigilante in The Brave One. Foster has always been great as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 2:33 PM

Fuck the 2015 bump troll.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 3:01 PM

R14 and he was barely in that episode lol

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2020 3:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!