Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Every Billboard #1 Hit of 1966

Almost every song on the list is a classic...and the ones that aren't are at least listenable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2015 12:49 PM

Ah, memories. That was the year I finished eighth grade and started high school. (Yes, I'm old.) But irrespective of my personal relationship to songs, it was an interesting year for music. We were in the heart of the British invasion, and clearly Motown was still big. (I love that in the clips for both Supremes song, all you see is Diana!)

To round things out, we had a last gasp hit from Frank Sinatra, a novelty song ("Winchester Cathedral"), a weird patriotic song ("Green Berets"), and the first hits from Simon & Garfunkel and The Monkees.

The only songs that I didn't like then, and still detest were the aforementioned "Berets," as well as "Wild Thing" and "96 Tears."

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2015 12:40 AM

I was born in 1965 and did not start appreciating the 60's music until I was in my mid 20's (I was a child of the 70's). The music of this year is great to listen to. This is my opinion, but I think musicians in the 60's, 70's and 80's really had to prove their talent. There are some artists I enjoy today (Kelly Clarkson, Sam Smith, Adele)but I am one of the older people who enjoys the older music more. And I have to give credit to anyone going out there and being a singer (the only exception I make is Justin Bieber).

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2015 4:32 PM

1966 was THE year for pop music...of all time, not just the '60s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2015 4:43 PM

R3, again...making a point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2015 4:45 PM

Top 5 (in order): Walk Away Renée

Reach Out I'll Be There

Good Vibrations

My World Is Empty Without You

I Fought the Law

5-way tie for #100:

Barbara Ann

Elusive Butterfly

Ballad of the Green Berets

Guantanamera

Somewhere My Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2015 5:44 PM

The best music of 1966 was on two LPs, [italic]Pet Sounds [/italic]by the Beach Boys, and [italic]Face to Face[/italic] by the Kinks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2015 5:58 PM

Staff Sergeant Barry Sadler who recorded "Ballad of the Green Berets" was hot. But then he died...

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2015 5:59 PM

It is was so upbeat, too. Now it is so nihilistic and ugly.

I liked the fashion/style of 1966, too

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2015 6:19 PM

Sadler had an odd life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2015 6:21 PM

Not a #1 hit, but one of 1966's best song, "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore," by the Walker Brothers. Live version:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2015 6:29 PM

Only three acts topped the charts twice that year. All groups. Two of them were the biggest acts of the 1960's and the third one was a TV imitation of the top act.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2015 6:58 PM

"The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore," by the Walker Brothers was a UK number one that year. Although they were American, they actually found greater success in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2015 1:48 AM

R10 One of my all-time favorite songs. I don't know why they didn't have more success. They were similar to the Righteous Brothers, but that song is as good as any of the Righteous' hits.

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2015 1:50 AM

Diana Ross is so cute in those 2 clips!

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2015 1:51 AM

Damn...thanks for posting that. What an amazing lineup of classic pop and rock.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2015 1:57 AM

I turned 6 in October 1966, but the only song I didn't recognize was Johnny Rivers'. I remember some of his other songs, but this one was lost on me.

The Monkees were considered very pop/bubble gum in their time, but they were a much better group than they get credit for.

I'll Be There is one of my favorite songs of all time.

It was a great time for music.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2015 6:03 AM

Great year for Motown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2015 7:23 AM

[quote]I'll Be There is one of my favorite songs of all time.

The Four Tops' song is called Reach Out (I'll Be There). I'm only making the distinction because there is another Motown classic by The Jackson 5 (later covered by Mimi Carey)called I'll Be There

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2015 11:35 AM

People must have been glued to the radio back then. An older colleague said to me, that people would sometimes fall silent if a particular song came on and that they would sit around to listen to an album and discuss the meaning of the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2015 11:56 AM

Diana Ross was so glamorous and modern.

"Good Vibrations" really jumps out from the pack.

Lou Christy and Denny Doherty still get me hard.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2015 12:04 PM

Six songs I didn't recognize (out of 27)and I live/lived in the periphery of Europe. I was 16 at the time.

The Walker Brothers song 'The Sun Ain't...'is one of my favorites too. Heard it first time in the early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2015 12:21 PM

The Supremes' clip of You Can't Hurry Love is from that famous Ed Sullivan Show presentation in which Miss Ross' right earring fell out and she caught it without missing a beat, subtly raising her hand as if to say, "got it, no sweat." @ 1:45

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2015 12:32 PM

The Mamas and the Papas are all dead to me! DEAD!

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2015 12:37 PM

One of my fave one hit wonders of 1966...and covered by a zillion people at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2015 4:34 PM

More '66

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2015 11:16 PM

Where, R25?

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2015 1:08 AM

Here, R26

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2015 10:48 AM

R1: I too finished 8th grade in 1966 and I generally agree with your post. However, I have to dispute your characterization of Frank Sinatra's hit as his last gasp. He was alive for at least 30 more years and continued to perform to sell out crowds well into the 80's and 90's. The 70's brought his signature "New York, New York" which was wildly popular, but I don't know if it charted.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2015 12:23 PM

[quote]I have to dispute your characterization of Frank Sinatra's hit as his last gasp. He was alive for at least 30 more years and continued to perform to sell out crowds well into the 80's and 90's.

& not forgetting a little thing called 'My Way'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2015 12:44 PM

[quote]The 70's brought his signature "New York, New York"

WHOSE signature?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2015 12:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!