Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are There Towns in the US Where Residents Don't Lock Their Doors?

I've heard that there are, but I find it hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 6904/07/2015

I just stayed in a dumpy little place south of kansas city where they didn't lock their doors. benson? something like that

by Anonymousreply 104/04/2015

I grew up in a small town in northern MN in the 70's and 80's. We locked the doors when we left town for the day, and maybe when everyone was home and in bed for the night - but that was about it. Plus, we did not have a deadbolt, so it probably would have been easy to get around the lock. I remember being left home along in high school when my parents went to see the older siblings at college, and they did not even bother to leave a key with me.

by Anonymousreply 204/04/2015

Yes. My Aunt/Uncle/Cousins in a small town north of Milwaukee never lock their doors. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 304/04/2015

OP=lazy burglar looking for tips

by Anonymousreply 404/04/2015

Difficult as it may be for some to believe, there's actually VERY LITTLE violent crime in tiny, poor, "white trash"/"conservatard" areas. They don't lock their doors because they trust each other and---generally speaking---they have nothing to fear... at least from their neighbours.

by Anonymousreply 504/04/2015

Yeah small town in Kansas. Although I often think we're gonna regret it someday.

by Anonymousreply 604/04/2015

Garden City, Kansas

by Anonymousreply 704/04/2015

yes

by Anonymousreply 804/04/2015

Okay, I should have specified that I'm asking about towns in 2015.

by Anonymousreply 904/04/2015

I live in a large U.S. city and never lock my doors. I also leave my keys in my car at night. I've never thought twice about it.

by Anonymousreply 1004/04/2015

I grew up in Missouri (90s/00s) and we'd often leave our doors unlocked at night or upon leaving the house.

by Anonymousreply 1104/04/2015

LMAO...I posted before reading and R1 just proved my point. Alrough it sounds like they're referring to Belton...which is near my hometown.

by Anonymousreply 1204/04/2015

In San Jose (mid-2000s), I was surprised how many people left their cars running and unattended as they make a run into the 7-11 and other such places.

by Anonymousreply 1304/04/2015

Then you are a supreme idiot R10.

What? Who the hell leaves their keys in their car?! You are either kidding or who have issues.

by Anonymousreply 1404/04/2015

I rarely lock my doors, even my vehicles are usually left running or unlocked on my local errands. I'm east coast, country, between NYC and Phila.

by Anonymousreply 1504/04/2015

We spend the summer at our cottage on an island in Maine. Haven't seen the keys to the house in years. It is has never been locked except for when those damned Bushs are in town.

by Anonymousreply 1604/04/2015

My parents live in a large house on a lake in the rural Upper Midwest. I think they've gotten better about locking their doors but that's because my sisters and I had to badger them about it. Growing up in a town nearby in the 70s-80s-90s we would leave the house unlocked and empty for many hours at a time. Locked the doors at night and when we all left town together with at least one overnight, and that was about it.

My dad still works and mom is around their house all day with the doors unlocked. It's funny because she's neurotic about so many things but not that.

All our neighbors were the same way back then. As a horny gayling I took advantage. Next door was a boy a year older than me, total lust object for me, and when I was 15 or 16 I snuck into their house a couple days one summer while the family was on vacation, and rifled through his underwear drawer.

by Anonymousreply 1704/04/2015

Yes. But I'm not saying where.

by Anonymousreply 1804/04/2015

Pretty common in suburban Detroit.

I rarely lock my car door. One of my managers keeps her car key in the cup-holder of her car.

I've accidentally walked into the wrong apartment when visiting friends before. Quite a few of my friends growing up didn't lock their house doors.

Nothing bad ever came of it.

by Anonymousreply 1904/04/2015

I lock my doors at night.

In the daytime, my front door is wide open. I have a storm door (windows in winter, screen in summer). My steel front door is wide open and my storm door is closed but unlocked. You can see right into my house from my front porch. You can walk right in.

I live on a flag lot, which means you can't see my house from the road. There a house in front of my house. The mailman, UPS, Fed Ex and the oil company know we're back here, but not many other people.

I live in the Hamptons.

by Anonymousreply 2004/04/2015

When it say I lock my doors at night, I mean when I got to bed. The doors remain open until then.

by Anonymousreply 2104/04/2015

I never lock my house. I figure it's okay because I ask every stranger I meet to keep an eye on the place and look out for suspicious activity.

by Anonymousreply 2204/04/2015

Why bother posting, t18? I mean, really, at least give a general location.

by Anonymousreply 2304/04/2015

I grew up in NJ in the 60s and 70s. My parents never locked the door, and would search the house for a key when we went on vacation. My dad also left his car keys in the ignition.

This was very unusual for NJ. My mother's brothers were irish mafia. No one would dare rob our house or my grandmother's house that was 3 houses away.

When I was 10, my great aunt's house was robbed. The guys who did it were found a few days later beaten within an inch of there life. They had broken arms, legs, and jaws. I'm sure my uncles were responsible.

by Anonymousreply 2404/04/2015

White areas yes.

by Anonymousreply 2504/04/2015

[quote] My dad also left his car keys in the ignition.

Must have spent a lot of money on batteries.

by Anonymousreply 2604/04/2015

I grew up in a house in suburban in CT in the 80s/90s and we, and most of our neighbors, never locked our doors. My mom would even leave her car keys on the front seat of the car at night, too. There was never a problem with either. Many people I know who still live there don't lock doors to this day.

Now I live in a house in NC and don't lock the house or car doors at night or when i go out. Its a small, suburban place, so I'm not too worried. I do lock the doors when I'll be gone overnight.

I lived in a townhouse in MD for a while, and I did lock my doors, even when I was home. Still, someone threw a brick through the sliding glass door and burglarized the place.

It depends where I live: in an apt or complex where there are other people, I lock everything up. In a house where it's semi private, I do not.

by Anonymousreply 2704/04/2015

Why would you spend a lot on batteries R26?

by Anonymousreply 2804/04/2015

Yeah -- that's the other side of "vibrant diversity" that the Victim Cultures will get thuggy if you bring up -- the need to lock up everything in the rainbow's path.

by Anonymousreply 2904/04/2015

People who think they live in Mayberry R.F.D. & don't lock doors, usually wind up dead & a subject on true crime shows !!

by Anonymousreply 3004/04/2015

A tiny town in Oregon on the Columbia. No-one bothers.

by Anonymousreply 3104/04/2015

I grew up in suburban Chi-town and we always left one door unlocked so somebody could get the dog out in an emergency.

by Anonymousreply 3204/04/2015

[quote]It is has never been locked except for when those damned Bushs are in town.

I don't think they'll steal anything from you. Well … unless you're keeping elections in there.

by Anonymousreply 3304/04/2015

I grew up in a tiny neighborhood outside of the city limits in small town Indiana. The house had settled so the outside door leading into the garage and the french door off the back patio wouldn't latch even if you wanted them to. In the fourteen years we lived there we never had an issue. This was the 90s.

Assuming they aren't on a trip you could still go to my parents' place and find several vehicles with keys in the ignition and house windows open at any time.

by Anonymousreply 3404/04/2015

Why do you say that, r14? The neighborhood is great and nothing bad will ever happen here. If someone does steal the car I couldn't give less of a fuck. I just don't worry.

by Anonymousreply 3504/04/2015

In my hometown in suburban CT, people leave their cars running when they go into the convenience store for a quick purchase. When the weather's nice, many people leave the doors to their house open to get a breeze and air out the house. I can't even remember the last time there was a crime committed in my hometown.

by Anonymousreply 3604/04/2015

Malibu. I stayed at a relatively minor actor's place there on the hill back a bit from the water and no-one ever locked the door.

And he was doing well enough to drive latest Mercedes and send kids to USC just off relatively small acting jobs.

by Anonymousreply 3704/04/2015

Long Island in the 70s. We lived in the poorer part of an affluent town. I guess we figured the robbers would go to the wealthy areas and leave our little shack alone.

by Anonymousreply 3804/04/2015

Yes. There's not a lot of crime where I live in upstate NY.

by Anonymousreply 3904/04/2015

If you leave your car running while you go off and do errands, then you're just irresponsible and wasteful.

by Anonymousreply 4004/04/2015

I grew up in the Sixties in a suburb that shares a couple of its borders with the city of Chicago.

My parents had five young kids, so our doors were ALWAYS locked, although hardly any of the neighbors did this (and some of them had even more kids than our family did.)

And then Speck went and butchered those eight nursing students in a townhouse maybe six miles away. That and the Manson murders pretty much put a stop to people leaving their doors unlocked.

by Anonymousreply 4104/04/2015

I live in northern Maine. Many of the folks around here not only don't lock their doors but leave their cars running when they pop into a convenience store.

by Anonymousreply 4204/06/2015

It was unheard of to lock your doors during the day in the 70s and 80s if you lived in a small town. You only locked your doors before going to bed, and if you went out of town.

by Anonymousreply 4304/06/2015

I grew up in a small country town. I don't know of anyone who locked their doors, except before going to sleep, if that.

Considering there's never been a murder there in a century, it's not bad odd. Everyone was poor, but it was a safe area. No one expected someone to rob them, there wasn't much to rob. Also people spent more time outside, so there was a lot of in and out the door traffic.

by Anonymousreply 4404/06/2015

My sister and her husband still keep their house unlocked during the day. Rural midwest.

by Anonymousreply 4504/06/2015

I lived in the Lake Oaks section of NEW ORLEANS for a while, and we never locked our doors. Many of our neighbors didn't either.

by Anonymousreply 4604/06/2015

I don't always lock my door and I wouldn't say my neighborhood is great. I lock my front door against Alzheimer's victims but I don't always lock my back door.

by Anonymousreply 4704/06/2015

The people in the small town where my mother lived never locked their doors, until the day a van full of gypsies hit town. They ran into houses, stealing purses, money and other valuables that were out in the open.

by Anonymousreply 4804/06/2015

Gypsies have a shitty reputation for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 4904/06/2015

When I was young, I saw the movie "The Town that Dreaded Sundown" on TV and I locked all the doors for about a week. We lived about two hours away from Texarkana and I was afraid the killer was still roaming around outside. Same thing happened after I saw "The Legend of Boggy Creek."

by Anonymousreply 5004/06/2015

Wow. 50 replies and only one racist comment (r25). Two if you count the Gypsy comment.

DL record

by Anonymousreply 5104/06/2015

Small town in Vermont - won't say where - doors unlocked and keys left in the ignition. Pretty common.

by Anonymousreply 5204/06/2015

Certain sections of the North Shore in Massachusetts. My sister and her family live there. Their back door is open all day even when they're not home. I guess they lock it when they go to sleep.

I'm from the city. I lock everything. But when I visit them, and it seems like an open door policy. Yet, no one ever seems to get robbed so I guess it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 5304/06/2015

In small towns in the Northeast it's very common for people to leave their garage doors open during the day, with the access door to the house unlocked if someone is home.

by Anonymousreply 5404/06/2015

I keep my doors locked, but many neighbors do not. It's quite common to see cars in the parking lots of grocery stores and other public places, with the keys plainly in sight in the ignition.

by Anonymousreply 5504/06/2015

Please learn the difference between robbery and burglary. There is a difference.

Burglary: enter or remain unlawfully in a building with the intent to commit a crime against persons or property therein. Burglary is usually, but not necessarily, accompanied by a theft. In California you can burglarize a car as well as a building.

Robbery: use or threaten to use force to take the property of another.

Robbers take things from people. Burglars take things from buildings. As with most things legal, this is an oversimplification though.

by Anonymousreply 5604/06/2015

So if you break in a building and wander around not stealing, vandalizing, or taking anything, they could charge you with burglary. Although they probably wouldn't, probably just b&e.

by Anonymousreply 5704/07/2015

Much to my mother's chagrin, we moved to a small town when I was about 5, and I think we were the only family who locked our doors--mainly because many of the neighbors would just stroll on into your house without knocking! It really freaked me out when I was a kid.

My dad (who was away working most of the time) was nicer than my mom about it. She wasn't about to let the bumpkins come in without knocking first--and sometimes not even then! I can remember her making me lie on the floor and not move until they quit knocking and went away...

by Anonymousreply 5804/07/2015

Yes, in New England.

by Anonymousreply 5904/07/2015

How can anyone not lock their doors?? Makes no sense and would make me paranoid as hell.

Hard to feel sorry for anything that befalls a person too stupid to keep their doors unlocked.

by Anonymousreply 6004/07/2015

A small old house in Beverly Hills.

The entire street will be robbed before mine. (and some of them have)

by Anonymousreply 6104/07/2015

Somewhere on the west coast of North America - we leave on vacation for two or three months at a time and leave the doors open so that neighbors can get in to borrow tools or whatever and incidentally check to make sure nothing's on fire. Never thought twice about it. Small town.

by Anonymousreply 6204/07/2015

I never lock my doors in small town northern Wisconsin. I do have two German Shepherds who look intimidating, but are giant babies.

by Anonymousreply 6304/07/2015

When I was younger (1970s-80s), my parents left the car keys in the ignition. We only locked the doors at night or if we going to be away all day or more.

I started locking the door because we had a neighbor who would wander in and scare the hell out of me. Everyone else knocked or yelled when they came in.

My neighbors had a dog that was terrified of thunderstorms, so I would let myself in their unlocked house to get their dog when the weather was bad.

Now I live in an apartment building, and some of my neighbors still leave their doors unlocked all day.

by Anonymousreply 6404/07/2015

Crimes have a certain pattern to them. Does your house have a neon ROB ME! sign over it?

Most houses never get broken into.

There are a couple houses that always get broken into.

Ask yourselves why?

And nothing beats a big dog. It's why dogs exist.

by Anonymousreply 6504/07/2015

I don't lock except at night.

When my friend makes a quick trip to the store she arms her house and puts The Club on her steering wheel.

by Anonymousreply 6604/07/2015

I lock up the house when I leave for the day. I installed a storm door on the front door so usually leave the front door open when I am home. Sometimes I forget to shut it when I go to bed. My house is not visible from the street and I have a long dark driveway. I don't think anyone would bother with my house.

by Anonymousreply 6704/07/2015

I grew up in a small Texas town. We always kept our doors unlocked until bedtime. At bedtime we locked them for the night.

by Anonymousreply 6804/07/2015

The only place I ever kept my door locked during the day was NYC.

Everywhere else, only at night.

by Anonymousreply 6904/07/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!