Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why were/are New York subway stations the ugliest and plainest in the whole world?

So much about New York, especially in the past, had tremendous style...ABOVE ground.

Yet they built the subway stations to look like this >>>>

WHY?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173April 17, 2015 5:20 PM

You should have seen them before they looked this good.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2015 8:28 PM

The look they were going for is "public rest room"

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2015 8:30 PM

Moscow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2015 8:31 PM

Moscow, again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2015 8:32 PM

Moscow was going for "rich Iranian's boudoir"

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2015 8:34 PM

Then why is the rest of Russia such a shithole, R3? If they can make good subway, what about the rest of country?

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2015 8:35 PM

They could only build the NY subway with the pittance that was left over after the politicians and their cronies had grafted away the bulk of the budget.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2015 8:35 PM

I've always wondered this, OP....and I'd love to hear what people think.

You can't say it's because NYC's is the biggest, nor the oldest. It isn't either. Why so drab?

LOL at R2.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2015 8:35 PM

[quote]Then why is the rest of Russia such a shithole, [R3]? If they can make good subway, what about the rest of country?

I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2015 8:37 PM

It's not nearly as shitty as the Philadelphia subway.

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2015 8:37 PM

They get more beautiful and interesting once you get out to Brooklyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2015 8:39 PM

It's not THAT ugly. People will honestly make up any excuse to bash New York on this board.

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2015 8:41 PM

DC Subway

And NY'er at R12, this is a VALID criticism. I love NYC as well, but come on. The subways are nasty (and as someone said above, they used to look worse).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2015 8:43 PM

NYC had/has some gorgeous subways. One of the best is under City Hall. It has been closed for decades because it is a security risk. I think Robert Moses started gutting the old Beaux Arts stations, but they really got destroyed in the 1970s. In some cases, a small bot of the old tile work has been preserved, but mostly it is the bland subway tile as pictured.

There are a few attempts to fancy some stations (Lincoln Center, Natural History Museum) with same bad tile murals.

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2015 8:43 PM

Washington's metro is okay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2015 8:43 PM

Most American subways systems are ugly, esp compared to the likes of Moscow.

NYC's is hideous, but so are Boston's, Philly's, Atlanta's & Chicago's.

DC & LA are better, but only because they're newer. SF's was nice at one time, but BART is in bad shape now.

I'm not really sure why American subway systems were built to be so ugly. Good question.

Oh, and Montreal's subway system is gross too.

The London Tube & Paris' Metro are old, dirty & run down also.

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2015 8:44 PM

It has more subway stations than any other in the world.

And it's adding more.

That costs money, so I guess the beauty budget was a bit tight.

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2015 8:45 PM

The mural at Lincoln Center.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 30, 2015 8:45 PM

Natural History Museum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 30, 2015 8:46 PM

Hello?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 30, 2015 8:47 PM

London

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 30, 2015 8:48 PM

This is what many NY subway stations used to look like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 30, 2015 8:49 PM

[quote]The London Tube & Paris' Metro are old, dirty & run down also.

That wasn't my experience of the London Tube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 30, 2015 8:49 PM

Don't forget me, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 30, 2015 8:50 PM

[quote]I'm not really sure why American subway systems were built to be so ugly.

Capitalism run amok. NY had the loudest, squealiest, screechingest subways in the world because the oil to grease the wheels that would make them run quietly (as they do everywhere else) would cost money that is used to feather a lot of private nests instead.

by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2015 8:50 PM

Apart from Moscow's grandeur and D.C.'s sleek modernity, where else are subways particularly nice?

by Anonymousreply 26March 30, 2015 8:50 PM

The Louvre Station, Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2015 8:51 PM

My fave. Arts et Métiers, Paris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2015 8:53 PM

Kuala Lumpur

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2015 8:54 PM

NY's Mass Transit Authority (MTA) is one of the most bloated, overpaid & corrupt gov't bodies in the State, maybe the US.

Dozens & dozens of political appointees, making high 6-figure salaries & every year, they raise the subway fare.

Subway stations & trains are falling apart, trains are always late or cancelled. There are huge rats everywhere & it's just plain filthy.

Let's not talk about the bridges. The G Washington is what, like $15 for one back & forth crossing?

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2015 8:55 PM

You could eat your dinner off the floor of Copenhagen underground. It sparkles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2015 8:56 PM

They're exceedingly dreary in Rome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2015 8:56 PM

You want the rats to live in beautiful palaces?

by Anonymousreply 33March 30, 2015 8:57 PM

R26: Madrid, Rome & Santiago, Chile have nice subway systems.

Horrible ones: Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Caracas & Naples, Italy.

by Anonymousreply 34March 30, 2015 8:58 PM

Posters on the walls of abandoned 'ghost stations' of the London Underground

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 30, 2015 8:59 PM

Kuala Lumpur 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 30, 2015 8:59 PM

And it's somewhat phallic, R31. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 37March 30, 2015 9:00 PM

Kids having a kip on the line during the Blitz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 30, 2015 9:00 PM

The reason New York, Chicago, Boston, and Philadelphia have ugly inconvenient subway stations is that they were built by private contractors for private companies, and so, were cheap.

Contrary to what some of the idiots on this thread would have you believe, no public bureaucracies were involved with the creation of these cheap-ass ugly stations.

by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2015 9:03 PM

R31: I think that photo is Hong Kong or Shanghai, not Copenhagen.

The script on the photo is Chinese

by Anonymousreply 40March 30, 2015 9:04 PM

Dubai metro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 30, 2015 9:04 PM

Delhi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 30, 2015 9:04 PM

Delhi 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 30, 2015 9:05 PM

Isn't "tube" an old fashioned word? It's the underground.

by Anonymousreply 44March 30, 2015 9:05 PM

Università metro in Naples. Jazzy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 30, 2015 9:07 PM

It's the tube, mate.

by Anonymousreply 46March 30, 2015 9:07 PM

[quote]Montreal's subway system is gross too

What?

It's a 1000 times better than the NYC one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 30, 2015 9:08 PM

Stockholm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 30, 2015 9:09 PM

For R44.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 30, 2015 9:10 PM

R47 - thank you! You beat me to it!

Some Montreal stations are amazingly beautiful. The art and architecture are incredible.

Ditto for Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 50March 30, 2015 9:10 PM

Atlanta with exposed granite walls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 30, 2015 9:12 PM

More Stockholm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 30, 2015 9:14 PM

Stockholm has the most beautiful stations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 30, 2015 9:14 PM

Those of you who complain about NYC subways haven't a clue. Today's subways and subway stations are palaces compared to what was there in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. I'll never forget the first new, air conditioned NYC subway I stepped onto. I genuinely thought a movie was being filmed there and they put a fake "foreign" subway train in place and let us get on it as a practical joke.

It was clean, modern, nice and cool and there was a digital readout telling the time and which subway station was coming up next. I'd never seen anything like it in NY.

This is what we were used to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 30, 2015 9:15 PM

The new metro stations in Napoli put everything else to shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 30, 2015 9:18 PM

ALL of NYC was a dump in the 70s; it wasn't just the subways.

by Anonymousreply 56March 30, 2015 9:19 PM

Sorry, I'm sticking with my statement that Montreal's subway system is ugly.

Most of it is 1970s exposed, gray concrete, colorless stations & it's not very clean.

But agreed, it IS nicer than NYC's. I wasn't comparing the two.

by Anonymousreply 57March 30, 2015 9:19 PM

St. Petersburg, Russia has one of the best looking subways I've ever seen. Just don't stand close to the doors as they open. People will just totally push you out of their way. Russians are nuts!

by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2015 9:20 PM

R40, I promise you, it's Amagerbro Station in Copenhagen. The image was posted on a Chinese site because of a Chinese art exhibition happening in that neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2015 9:20 PM

and yet, reading comprehension disabled person at R54, they are still among the ugliest and most drab in the world...as has been repeated throughout the thread.

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2015 9:20 PM

"This is what we were used to."

Yeah, once we got those Italian homos, who wiggled their asses all night at the discos, off the subway, the cars improved tremendously.

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2015 9:21 PM

R55 Those look really vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 62March 30, 2015 9:21 PM

They are beautiful, R55, but will they break down in six months like everything else Italian and mechanical?

by Anonymousreply 63March 30, 2015 9:22 PM

I can only imagine how nasty the NYC subway was before air conditioning. The heat and the smells from all those people packing in like sardines, ugh! And that was the era when men had to wear full suits to work. It must have been unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2015 9:23 PM

The 34th St-IRT stop at Penn Station. The most poorly designed armpit of a station. I can't imagine what tourists think when confronted by that horror.

by Anonymousreply 65March 30, 2015 9:23 PM

R55: That's one (beautiful) station out of the whole system. The rest of it is disgusting & very, very dirty.

Even worse is the Circumvesuviana commuter line outside Naples, to its eastern/northern suburbs. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2015 9:25 PM

Penn Station is an abomination. It's like a train station in a third-world country. It's an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 67March 30, 2015 9:26 PM

Typical scene on a Friday night on the NY subway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 30, 2015 9:27 PM

Chicago has a newly built non-functioning ghost station! They call it "Moria."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 30, 2015 9:34 PM

I remember, years ago, circa 1986...when you could take the subway to JFK...going to London.

I arrived in London about 7pm on a Saturday evening and took the tube into the city, the train stopping at various suburban stains as we went along.

and the difference after the gloomy forbiddingness of the NYC subway, no one daring to look at each other, grim, dirty, slimy trains, everyone uptight...to this train, with colorful cloth seats and many groups of young people joking and laughing together, many dressed in that extreme '80s look, the pink hair, whatever... etc...just the colors and the atmosphere was such a culture shock.

by Anonymousreply 70March 30, 2015 9:43 PM

R70: That was "The Train to the Plane".

MTA cancelled it, in their infinite idiocy. Mostly at the insistence of NYC Taxi industry thugs.

by Anonymousreply 71March 30, 2015 9:45 PM

[quote]I remember, years ago, circa 1986...when you could take the subway to JFK...going to London.

I don't know if you're trying to be funny, but there was never a channel tunnel from NYC to London. There is a "Chunnel" from England to France, though.

by Anonymousreply 72March 30, 2015 9:47 PM

I hate the MTA, I must admit though that I love the look of new Fulton street station. Very easy to commute to

by Anonymousreply 73March 30, 2015 9:49 PM

r34, Madrid's is downright nasty and nothing but pickpockets. Santiago is only fair - nothing aesthetically y beautiful about it.

by Anonymousreply 74March 30, 2015 9:55 PM

Oh, R72. Reading comprehension. I know it's not the most well-constructed sentence, but...

by Anonymousreply 75March 30, 2015 9:55 PM

R74, I just sent a week in madrid and found the subway fine, nothing special, and very safe.

by Anonymousreply 76March 30, 2015 9:58 PM

[quote] and yet, reading comprehension disabled person at [R54], they are still among the ugliest and most drab in the world...as has been repeated throughout the thread.

No they're not, cracker. They look very much like other subway trains.

Because the subject of R54 is SUBWAY TRAINS and stations, not just subway stations. So much for your reading comprehension skills.

A typical modern NYC train looks like many other subway trains throughout the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 30, 2015 10:01 PM

Again you'll have to think to yourself: "What does NYC have a lot of that Moscow doesn't?"

by Anonymousreply 78March 30, 2015 10:10 PM

"No they're not, cracker."

You're a nasty, racist cunt & should be banned from this site.

by Anonymousreply 79March 30, 2015 10:15 PM

NYC has more than twice as many subway stations as Moscow, so I think I'll forgive them for not decorating their train stations like fucking orthodox churches.

by Anonymousreply 80March 30, 2015 10:16 PM

Can you imagine what those "orthodox churches" would have looked like in 1970s NY?

by Anonymousreply 81March 30, 2015 10:20 PM

[quote] You can't say it's because NYC's is the biggest, nor the oldest.

It's not "the biggest" in the sense that it is not the longest, but it has more subway stations than any other city's subway system in rest of the world,. So, in terms of number of stations, it *is* the biggest.

by Anonymousreply 82March 30, 2015 10:22 PM

good point R82, you are correct.

by Anonymousreply 83March 30, 2015 10:25 PM

Yes, R82...very often in life, girth trumps length.

Although I can't think of another example right now.

by Anonymousreply 84March 30, 2015 10:32 PM

Well, to defend R82, the more stations, then the more 'design' required. I get it.

I guess they can't all resemble Grand Central.

by Anonymousreply 85March 30, 2015 10:35 PM

Its Stockholm for the win. Its an accepted fact.

NYC's subways could and should be places of art and music.

by Anonymousreply 86March 30, 2015 10:35 PM

R86: They are...unfortunately, it's spray paint & hip hop.

That's why we can't have nice things in public, almost anywhere in America.

by Anonymousreply 87March 30, 2015 10:39 PM

There are few commuting nightmares more horrifying than trying to switch from Line "A" to line "B" in Rome. 10th circle of Dante's Hell.

by Anonymousreply 88March 30, 2015 11:16 PM

[quote] [R55]: That's one (beautiful) station out of the whole system. The rest of it is disgusting & very, very dirty.

Even worse is the Circumvesuviana commuter line outside Naples, to its eastern/northern suburbs. Horrible.

Almost all of the stations in Napoli are beautiful (each one designed by a famous architect or artist), and they are kept in excellent shape.

Garibalidi (train station) is almost finished, too, and it looking good.

by Anonymousreply 89March 30, 2015 11:36 PM

Obviously R30 nor many of you others live here (NYC).

MTA stands for Metropolitan Transit Authority as anyone who was born and or has lived here long enough knows.

George Washington Bridge like the other Hudson River crossings and bridges between Staten Island and New Jersey are under the control of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Toll on each varies by time of day and method of payment.

Much of the original NYC subway system was built by private companies (IRT and BMT) who for various reasons were folded into the New York City Transit System. In the end even NYC couldn't run its own mass transit system and the thing was folded into the MTA.

Like the other NYS public authorities the MTA was created mainly but not exclusively to get around the state constitution's requirement about issuing debt.

Previous posters are correct in that today's NYC subway system on average is streets ahead of what was there in the 1970's or even 1980's. Also yes, there are some beautiful subway stations especially those part of the original IRT and BMT. City Hall station rivals anything found in Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 30, 2015 11:37 PM

R89: Sorry, Naples' train system is disgusting. I've been on it many times. I have family there & visit often.

Are you a real Neapolitan or an American of Neapolitan descent.

by Anonymousreply 91March 30, 2015 11:42 PM

[quote]Neapolitan -- criticize my city and I'll have you whacked

I've been to Naples several times over the years on my way to Ischia...and had some of my worst experiences of my life in the brief times I've spent there. Including being robbed.

It's the most evil place I've ever been to and I admit, very beautiful.

Naples is a beautiful, evil bitch.

by Anonymousreply 92March 30, 2015 11:46 PM

R90: That IDunno cunt got me this time. I can't believe I wrote Mass Transit Authority for MTA. It is METROPOLITAN. I stand corrected!

I should have been clearer, but I used the GWB as an example of the high cost of bloated & corrupt bureaucracy. No way it should cost like $15 R/T to cross that bridge, or any other in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 93March 30, 2015 11:46 PM

I've always wondered this as well. They've made all the rest of NYC spotless, so why not fix up the hideous subways too? Those ugly metal trains and ugly stations truly do look third world.

by Anonymousreply 94March 30, 2015 11:47 PM

R37 sees dick everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 95March 30, 2015 11:55 PM

The NY Subways System was actually 3 separate subways systems.

The IRT (Private)

The BMT (Private)

The IND (Government)

Guess which one is the ugliest?

The whole system was forced into bankruptcy by the government refusing to allow any fare increases.

After the Government takeover of the subway in 1940, the first thing they did was raise fares.

And the government has been "building" the second avenue subway ever since.

by Anonymousreply 96March 31, 2015 12:02 AM

Thanks, R92, for recognizing the beauty of Napoli, a city unfairly maligned. I guess she is a beautiful bitch, that's an accurate description.

Sorry you were robbed, I hope this was a while ago, things are much better now. I've never been robbed but I know that some tourists are, especially near the port and also the train station, which, as I said, is being fixed up with money from the EC.

I don't understand what R91 is saying since the metro is the pride of the city (all of it is new) and some of the stations are really great art-works.

It's true, though, that the Circumvesuviana is a little faded, but it is also very cheap -- you can go all the way to Sorrento (an hour and a half) for three euros!

by Anonymousreply 97March 31, 2015 12:08 AM

R94

All trains like airplanes are made from metal. As with the latter the trend of leaving them unpainted (silver) comes from several factors.

For one it saves on maintenance costs as you don't have to worry about repainting. It likely much easier to keep the shiny metal surfaces free from graffiti. IMHO the Eastside/IRT trains look much more modern and kept clean than the what runs up the Westside.

The MTA *is* working on cleaning up and so forth NYC subway stations. However their capital budgets aren't unlimited and thus some things take priority over others. For instance the 23rd Street/Park Avenue South IRT stations now have sloping platforms. One assumes this is to deal with persons being shoved or falling onto tracks. It also serves to keep persons a safe distance from the platform edge.

by Anonymousreply 98March 31, 2015 12:10 AM

[quote]Sorry you were robbed, I hope this was a while ago, things are much better now. I've never been robbed but I know that some tourists are, especially near the port and also the train station, which, as I said, is being fixed up with money from the EC.

I was taking the bus from the station to the port.

I had put my wallet deep in the inside pocket of my Levi Jean jacket, for safety.

When I replayed the scenario in my mind I remember an old man kind of jumping around in front of me as I boarded the bus.

As we were riding along, I felt for my wallet. Just checking...and it was gone.

I had to get my father to wire me some cash. I had maybe $35 of cash in my pocket, that's all.

The cheap hotels in Naples are the nastiest cheap hotels I've ever been to in my life.

If I go to Ischia again, I'll go via Sorrento.

by Anonymousreply 99March 31, 2015 12:15 AM

R93 in Massachusetts we have the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA or simply "T"), so maybe that's why you were confused.

by Anonymousreply 100March 31, 2015 12:19 AM

Since when does America know how to do beauty?

by Anonymousreply 101March 31, 2015 12:23 AM

R98 For someone who calls themselves "IDunno", you sure do seem like you think you know it all.

by Anonymousreply 102March 31, 2015 12:25 AM

[quote]Again you'll have to think to yourself: "What does NYC have a lot of that Moscow doesn't?"

I'm going with Russians since I live here and can guarantee more appear to live here than in Russia.

The NYC subways are ugly so as to match the airports. No one does aesthetically-shitty transportation like NYC.

by Anonymousreply 103March 31, 2015 12:28 AM

[quote]For someone who calls themselves "IDunno", you sure do seem like you think you know it all.

I think that's the point.

Hey, IDunno...please tell us how FABULOUS the '80s were for gays in New York again.

by Anonymousreply 104March 31, 2015 12:31 AM

R102

No one does not claim to "know it all". Just grow weary of persons who either do not live in NYC and or have a snapshot view that don't have a clue.

Having been born and lived in NYC that is a subject am intimately familiar. My knowledge of the transit system is no more than the average for anyone else born and raised.

As the MTA has just raised transit fares (again), and is claiming a several billion dollar budget shortfall, one tends to follow what is going on.

I like others here pay the MTA several times over each month beyond merely taking mass transit or using a bridge or tunnel. NYS has allowed a vast and bewildering array of taxes and fees to be tacked onto everything from utility bills to property sales for the benefit of the MTA. Yet somehow the thing is always crying poor mouth.

by Anonymousreply 105March 31, 2015 12:37 AM

I like IDunno. Fuck all'y'all who don't. Just fuck yourselves with a bag of 50 cent subway tokens.

by Anonymousreply 106March 31, 2015 12:39 AM

Here we go; R104 senses a possible recruit to his pathetic Greek chorus and attempts to move in for the kill.

by Anonymousreply 107March 31, 2015 12:43 AM

[quote][R89]: Sorry, Naples' train system is disgusting. I've been on it many times. I have family there & visit often.

Clearly you haven't been on Line 1, with the brand spanking new stations. They're a bit...garish, but bright & shiny and tons of public art.

Yes, the Circumvesuviana is a shithole. Yes, the original commuter line is old and ugly. Line 1 is very, very nice.

And I love Naples. Crusty beautiful old bitch. And yes, I got pickpocketed too - all my valuables were in an inner lining, so he only got my map.

by Anonymousreply 108March 31, 2015 12:44 AM

[quote] R104, senses a possible recruit to his pathetic Greek chorus and attempts to move in for the kill.

That's funny.

But you do set out to annoy people. You MUST know that. Then you're annoyed when they call you on it.

by Anonymousreply 109March 31, 2015 12:53 AM

1. Stop talking about the Naples metro. Nobody cares. 2. Ban iDunno.

by Anonymousreply 110March 31, 2015 12:57 AM

The Second Avenue gas blast may have been an inside job by someone who didn't want the Second Avenue Subway project to dry up.

by Anonymousreply 111March 31, 2015 1:02 AM

The RER and the metro in Paris reeks of urine.

by Anonymousreply 112March 31, 2015 1:05 AM

No dear, it is *YOU* that get annoyed and especially when called out on things. It is apparent to me at least why; you don't like being dethroned as Dame High and Mighty From New York around DL when it is clear to me at least you do not live here.

You make errors no person from NYC would, especially someone of your age. Recent immigrants or arrivals from flyover states *might* be forgiven for not knowing what MTA stands for, but they certainly wouldn't call it "Mass Transit Authority".

by Anonymousreply 113March 31, 2015 1:07 AM

[quote] It is apparent to me at least why; you don't like being dethroned as Dame High and Mighty From New York around DL

I've never thought that ever and never have I implied it. I've never noticed anyone who does.

[quote]Recent immigrants or arrivals from flyover states *might* be forgiven for not knowing what MTA stands for, but they certainly wouldn't call it "Mass Transit Authority".

& it wasn't me who made that most terrible mistake.

by Anonymousreply 114March 31, 2015 1:14 AM

R108 Naples is one old and ugly bitch.Baroque done wrong and extremely Decrepit but pdings and abandoned building nds area that make The He nx look nice.However they have made an attempt to build more beautiful subways. That is a step in the right do ectoon.NYC has gotten more beautiful above ground in the last 25 urats and Naples is a little nicer below ground.

by Anonymousreply 115March 31, 2015 1:37 AM

What's that, R110? You need more info about the Naples Metro? Happy to oblige!

[bold]History[/bold]

The Naples Metro (Italian: Metropolitana di Napoli) is the metro system serving the city of Naples, Italy. The system includes two underground rapid transit lines (Line 1 and Line 6).

In 1911 construction on the urban section of the Rome–Formia–Naples railway, the Villa Literno–Napoli Gianturco railway was commenced, and although it was suspended for the duration of World War I, the line was eventually opened on 28 September 1925 as an urban railway service line, the first in Italy.[3] This service is now known as Line 2.

After the World War II, the existing Circumvesuviana railway was upgraded to a modern commuter rail, and also the Cumana railway became relevant for the commuter transport. In 1962 the Circumflegrea railway was opened.[4]

Construction of the first real metro railway (Line 1) began in 1986, and the first part opened on 28 March 1993.[5] Initially called the Metropolitana Collinare ("Hills metro") it ran for 4 km (2.5 mi) between Colli Aminei and Vanvitelli.[2] Two years later, in 1995, the line was extended to reach Piscinola[2] giving an overall track length of 8 kilometres (5.0 mi).[6]

Although progress had been made from the early setbacks and problems, it was still apparent by 1997 that the network suffered badly from the lack of network integration and poor connections, as well as the fact that large areas of Naples were not close to stations. In 1997 the city government drew up a new Piano Comunale dei Trasporti di Napoli (City Transport Plan) which called for a review of the network, improved controls over maintenance expenditure and general finances, a new tariff control system and better management of the urban rail network of Naples.[7]

The transport plan called for a three phase major redevelopment. Phase 1 would involve an expansion to a total of five lines, including major redevelopment of Line 1, and take the network up to 53 km of track (45 km of existing lines), with 68 stations (23 newly built), and 12 interchange nodes, to be completed by 2001. Phase 2 was designed to increase the network to 7 lines, with 84 stations, and 16 interchange nodes, plus 10 bus interchanges, to be completed by 2007. Phase 3 would see the network expanded to 10 rail lines with 93 km of track, and a further 30 km of new light rail (tram lines) linking 114 stations, with 21 interchanges, and 24 bus interchanges to be completed by 2011. The plan called for 70% of Neapolitans to be living within 500 metres of a transport access point by 2011.[6]

In conjunction with the regional government of Campania, the comune government of Naples incorporated a new fully state-controlled joint-stock corporation called Metronapoli, which is 99% controlled by the comune and 1% controlled by ANM (Azienda Napoletana Mobilità), with a mission statement of: "providing an efficient public rail transport service of quality to the city".

In 2000, a new line, Line 9, was proposed; intended to connect the National Archaeological Museum via the Museo di Capodimonte, providing an alternative route to part of Line 1, the project was abandoned.

Metronapoli took over control for running the urban rail transport network of Naples as part of a planned massive re-invigoration of public transport in the Campania region, on 1 February 2001. The regional government announced a rivoluzione del ferro (rail revolution) which involved a planned expansion of the region's network at a cost of €3.8 billion euros, and would see the construction of 1,400 km of new tracks and 80 new stations for a total of 423 stations on the network within Campania.

On 14 April 2001, service on Line 1 was extended from Vanvitelli to Museum (Museo) station.[2]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 31, 2015 1:41 AM

On 3 December 2005, the CIPE, (Interdepartmental Committee for Economic Planning) announced over €600 million worth of funding to be spent the Metropolitana di Napoli network. €323 million was allocated for Montesanto station (Cumana and Circumflegrea), €61.1 million for Quattro Giornate station (Line 1 and Circumflegrea), with both projects to be completed by 2010, as well as €119.7 million to be spent to improve the section of Line 1 between Capodichino and Centro Direzionale and €100 million for the San Pasquale–Municipio section.[8]

From 23 December 2006 to 20 February 2007 a special exhibition of models and multimedia presentations was held at Castel dell'Ovo to showcase all of the planned improvements to the Metropolitana di Napoli network, and was extremely well received by Neapolitans.

Line 6, which is categorized as a "light metro" line, opened in February 2007, running on 2.3 kilometres (1.4 mi) of route and serving 4 stations.[9]

On 28 March 2011, Line 1 was extended from Museo station to Università, with a new intermediate stop at Piazza Dante;[2] the section between Dante and Università involves a 1.85 kilometres (1.15 mi) underground tunnel that is single tracked. On 17 September 2012, the Toledo station, between Dante and Università opened;[2] an additional intermediate station, Municipio (Town Hall), is planned to be opened in the near future.

[bold]Operator[/bold]

Metronapoli is the public transport management company of Naples. Founded on 26 July 2000 as a fully state-controlled joint-stock corporation, it became operational on 1 February 2001. It is owned and controlled by two entities: the Comune of Naples, which owns 99% of shares, and the Azienda Napoletana Mobilità (Neapolitan Mobility Company), which owns the remaining 1%.

Metronapoli is currently responsible for the transport services and maintenance of Line 1 and Line 6, pedestrian subways, and the funicular railways (Chiaia, Mergellina and Montesanto). Metronapoli is also responsible for developing the various interchange links of Line 1 with Line 2 and the funicular railways, and is working with the National Archaeological Museum of Naples to ensure all development work is done in accordance with procedures to ensure the protection of historic monuments and archaeological remains.

by Anonymousreply 117March 31, 2015 1:42 AM

[bold]List of Naples Metro Stations[/bold]

Augusto tLine 6 t2007 tunderground Chiaiano - Marianella tLine 1 t1995 tviaduct Colli Aminei tLine 1 t1993 tunderground Dante tLine 1 t2002 tunderground Frullone - San Rocco tLine 1 t1995 tviaduct Garibaldi tLine 1 t2013 tunderground Lala tLine 6 t2007 tunderground Materdei tLine 1 t2001 tunderground Medaglie d'Oro tLine 1 t1993 tunderground Mergellina tLine 6 t2007 tunderground Montedonzelli tLine 1 t1993 tunderground Mostra tLine 6 t2007 tunderground Museo tLine 1 t2001 tunderground Piscinola tLine 1 t1995 tviaduct Policlinico tLine 1 t1993 tunderground Quattro Giornate - Cilea tLine 1 t2001 tunderground Rione Alto tLine 1 t1993 tunderground Salvator Rosa tLine 1 t2001 tunderground Toledo tLine 1 t2012 tunderground Università tLine 1 t2011 tunderground Vanvitelli tLine 1 t1993 tunderground

by Anonymousreply 118March 31, 2015 1:43 AM

Even Los Angeles looks better. Ha! (Just like the people that live here do.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 31, 2015 1:48 AM

Glasgow Subway is nice and clean. The trains are smaller for some reason, I never found out why but it's squeaky clean and the stations are quite funky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 31, 2015 1:49 AM

Scots are the shortest/smallest Euros. Hence the teeny trains.

by Anonymousreply 121March 31, 2015 2:08 AM

have you been to chicago? just as ugly

by Anonymousreply 122March 31, 2015 2:13 AM

They've been gradually upgrading Chicago's stations. They're still horrible but now they look like actual stations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 31, 2015 2:25 AM

What an unimproved Chicago station looked like

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 31, 2015 2:26 AM

Logan Square. One of the people in this photo is a perp who had just robbed a woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 31, 2015 2:28 AM

Miami's Metrorail stations were kind of cool-looking (in an industrial, Brutalist kind of way) when they were new & had a coherent design language, but over the past 30 years their aesthetics have totally gone down the toilet.

I remember the first act of large-scale governmental vandalism... early 90s, when they ripped out the attractive granite tiles that originally outlined the platforms & showed where the doors would open & replace them with hideous anti-slip yellow tiles. Worst of all, they couldn't even manage to buy anti-slip tiles that had compatible dimensions with the polished granite tiles they replaced, so in lots of areas they literally cut away most of the granite & left an ugly fringe a few inches wide between the rest of the station's red floor tiles & the new yellow anti-slip tiles.

Likewise, the downtown Metromover stations had kind of a clean, future-chic vibe when the system first opened, but pretty much everything Miami-Dade Transit has done to them since then has made them look more like a dirty, unkempt cross between something you'd find in a dystopian British sci-fi movie and what's left of the pay phone at a Greyhound bus station.

And the trains. Shudder. I remember when they were shiny, new, and clean. Thirty years of homeless people enjoying a day's worth of air conditioning for $2 have definitely taken their toll on them.

Miami's single biggest problem transit-wise is the political pressure to give free or discounted fares to nearly everyone who actually rides it more than once or twice in a decade. The elderly. Kids. The handicapped. Veterans. Welfare recipients. And that's just *part* of the list. On a typical train, there might be 3 passengers out of every 90 who actually paid the full fare to ride. As a result, every new rider ends up being a net cost sink. As ridership surges, MDTA cuts back on service [currently, THIRTY MINUTE HEADWAYS on Saturdays & Sundays... all day. If you miss a train on a weekend, you're fucked & could probably walk past 3-4 stations before the next train passed through.]

IMHO, the two best reforms they could do would be to designate at least one car of each train as "first class" & charge a premium of about $1 above and beyond the base non-subsidized fare [ie, anyone with free/reduced-price farecards wouldn't be allowed to do it] to ride in the first-class section. To improve logistics, they could put a turnstile barrier with farecard readers at the northern end of each station's platform (blocking access to the main doors leading into the car), and make the other door into the car open into a vestibule where people who almost missed the train could pay after boarding, but before proceeding into the main seating area (or get off and move to another car at the next station).

by Anonymousreply 126March 31, 2015 3:39 AM

Another post in defense of the Montreal Metro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 31, 2015 3:51 AM

To be fair, Chicago's stations were originally planned to be a bit more elegant, but they opened in 1943, right in the middle of WWII, when labor and materials were scarce so decoration took a backseat to finishing the damned things ASAP.

After the war money was tight, and they never really got around to going back and decorating them.

by Anonymousreply 128March 31, 2015 3:55 AM

r124 is giving me flashbacks to riding the Red Line to school when I was a kid. So many puddles of mystery subway water.

Montreal's metro is pretty cool, kind of an Epcot Center vibe

by Anonymousreply 129March 31, 2015 3:56 AM

The last place I want to hear "art" and "music" is in the NYC subway. Bad enough the decibel level is already deafening, I don't need it compounded by more garbage assaulting my eardrums.

by Anonymousreply 130March 31, 2015 4:00 AM

I meant: decrepit buildings and an abandoned buildings area that makes The Bronx look nice.

That is a step in the right direction.

by Anonymousreply 131March 31, 2015 5:25 AM

Los Angeles actually is pretty nice. I always forget that there's actually a train system. And, it is very useful in the right situations, but obviously nowhere near large enough for the metro area. Most cities with large train systems grew with the system. It's hard to superimpose a new system on top of an existing city - well, you can always do light rail/street cars on city streets -- but to build an elevated train or subway that doesn't have to stop for traffic is something else entirely.

I once took the train from Long Beach to Union Station downtown LA (and back again) and it is was really great.

by Anonymousreply 132March 31, 2015 5:46 AM

Toronto has spent millions on revitalizing stations, such as Museum Station in the photo, and sleek shiny new bullet train style subways and streetcars.

You still have to wait for at least 4 or 5 fully packed trains to go by at rush hour before you can wedge yourself into these "high capacity" trains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 31, 2015 7:01 AM

Hey, there are other cities in New York with subway systems, Rochester's Subway looks like it may need a little upgrade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 31, 2015 7:06 AM

Chicago's nicest station at O'Hare was the one where the operator fell asleep and ran the train up the stairs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135March 31, 2015 7:11 AM

[quote]The MTA *is* working on cleaning up and so forth NYC subway stations. However their capital budgets aren't unlimited and thus some things take priority over others.

For a city that is overloaded will multi-millionaires and billionaires, there is no excuse for NYC to not have amazing subway stations and trains. Throw in some fucking air conditioning in the stations as well.

by Anonymousreply 136March 31, 2015 8:18 AM

The millionaires and billionaires don't take the subway. They use limousines and helicopters.

by Anonymousreply 137March 31, 2015 8:24 AM

R23 posted a pic of the subway station at Canary Wharf. I would think most of London's subway stations are much older and much less impressive than that.

by Anonymousreply 138March 31, 2015 9:16 AM

The NYC subway runs 24/7 and the sheer volume of people is what prohibits upgrade. A long time ago, I saw a staircase being rehabbed and upgraded at the 14th Street A/C/E line, and shortly after it re-opened it was back to where it had always been.

Plus the MTA board is probably very corrupt, and they know people will ride it regardless of its appearance. Even the neighboring PATH trains are cleaner and a bit more pleasant.

You do see little bits of improvement here and there, but the system is so massive it's barely noticeable.

And let's face it, NYC's above-ground aesthetic is ramshackle and imperfect. That's part of the city's odd charm.

by Anonymousreply 139March 31, 2015 9:47 AM

London's Tube system is the oldest in the world. The original trains were steam trains - think of that. Clearly some parts are showing their age, and not in a good way, and the spending has been very unevenly distributed. But some of the stations are stunning - my favourite is Baker Street, which has been restored to its original 1860's condition (below). Some of the modern stations, such as Westminster and Canary Wharf, are also beautifully designed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140March 31, 2015 9:57 AM

New York has style unlike any other city in the world ...any kind of ethnic food, any time of the day or night ...unparalleled cultural options ...garbage piled high on the front sidewalks ...mafia daughters attending NYU ...rats as big as Buicks.

by Anonymousreply 141March 31, 2015 10:00 AM

Even developing countries, with far mopre corruption and far less money mange to have better subways than NYC.

Look at the Santo Domingo Metro, in the Dominican Republic, modern, efficient, and spotlessly clean.

I bet none of you were even aware there is a subway there , did you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 31, 2015 12:06 PM

It's part of our charm. It's what makes New Yawk New Yawk!

by Anonymousreply 143March 31, 2015 12:40 PM

R113, better known as IDunno...NY born & raised, doesn't make you an expert. Someone from Mongolia can Google, just like you do. So no real telling where you are, or are from. And no one here really cares. Worse for you, no one's really impressed either.

90% of NYers wouldn't know what MTA actually stands for, even if they knew that was the entity that ran NYC's mass transit system.

As your post at R105 clearly shows, your intimate knowledge of the City's subway system, seems to still leave you with no idea as to why it's always "crying poor mouth" (which is a southern expression no real NYer would ever use).

The reason is simple, as I said in my original post, where I made the very minor error of using Mass instead of Metropolitan...the MTA is a bloated, incompetent, overpaid bureaucracy of political appointees. But you missed that - the more important issue.

But you enjoy that while you're trolling Google for the proper response to cut & paste here.

"Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds".

by Anonymousreply 144March 31, 2015 1:53 PM

[quote]Even worse is the Circumvesuviana commuter line outside Naples, to its eastern/northern suburbs. Horrible.

LOL. Please don't remind me. I used the Circumvesuviana on my way to Pompeii and Herculaneum and I can't lie, I thought, at first, we were going into a coal mine.

But please don't have me whacked by the Camorra. Although I was pick pocketed, I think Naples with all its alleged filth, crime and chaos has more character and old beauty than all of Italy North of Rome put together. Yes people are loud and tend to yell at each other, but they are easier to talk to and happy to help with directions, chat or be up for a laugh. I love Southern Italy and have vowed to go back every year if I can.

And the food is unreal.

by Anonymousreply 145March 31, 2015 1:57 PM

Found out why the Glasgow subway trains are smaller, it's the third oldest in the world and was originally a cable system with a narrow gauge so when they updated they just kept the rail size.

R121 the Portuguese would have the distinction of being the shortest in Europe, the Scots average is 5'10".

by Anonymousreply 146March 31, 2015 2:04 PM

R145 has Stockholm Syndrome, big time.

by Anonymousreply 147March 31, 2015 2:31 PM

Chicago will tear down it's unsightly elevateds right after New York upgrades its subway.

by Anonymousreply 148March 31, 2015 2:35 PM

R142: That's the Santo Domingo train station of the Madrid, Spain subway system. Not the one in the Dominican Republic.

by Anonymousreply 149March 31, 2015 2:38 PM

Cincinnati's abandoned subway was close to being finished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 31, 2015 2:42 PM

Because, overall, New York is an ugly city, with relatively few touches of urban beauty. Compare it with Paris of London and it's the pits.

However, New York is still very sexy and attractive because of it vibrancy and life.

by Anonymousreply 151March 31, 2015 3:03 PM

I was once waiting for a train in the middle of the night when an unhinged Dominican man tried to murder a swarm of giant rats through foot-squashing. The phrases he yelled as he did it caused me to clutch my pearls in such horror they nearly choked me.

by Anonymousreply 152March 31, 2015 3:44 PM

But seriously, why would the Russians put all that effort into a subway?

by Anonymousreply 153April 2, 2015 5:40 PM

But seriously, why would the Russians put all that effort into a subway?

by Anonymousreply 154April 2, 2015 5:40 PM

[quote]The millionaires and billionaires don't take the subway. They use limousines and helicopters.

That's not the point. The point is with all the taxes they get from all the rich people living in NYC they should be able to find a way to use some of those tax dollars to build a decent subway system.

by Anonymousreply 155April 2, 2015 6:15 PM

Another issue with the NYC Subway that I don't think has been addressed is the fact that it is one of the very few 24 hour subways. Most subways close for a few hours in the evening. NYC subways were designed or renovated to be easily maintained without shutting down the platforms.

Personally, I would rather they shut down for four hours in the evening and maintain the stations better.

by Anonymousreply 156April 2, 2015 6:25 PM

I believe the London subway is going 24hrs now, for the first time in its long history.

by Anonymousreply 157April 2, 2015 6:27 PM

Developing countries have better subways than NYC. There's no excuse why the trains and the stations don't look better. And too fucking bad if certain lines have to get closed down for a short period in order to upgrade everything. It would be worth it in the end.

by Anonymousreply 158April 2, 2015 6:32 PM

They had a perfect opportunity to fix the stations when they were told to make them handicap accessible. But they didn't and most of them today are STILL not accessible.

by Anonymousreply 159April 2, 2015 7:30 PM

I was visiting a friend over the weekend who lives in the Financial District (ugh, I know) and had to take the R train. What a scum hole that line is. I'm pretty sure the train I was on was older than I am. What I don't get is the shocking disparity between different trains, mere blocks away from each other.

by Anonymousreply 160April 3, 2015 2:32 AM

Such ugly ass trains and stations. An absolute embarrassment compared to other cities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161April 3, 2015 3:07 AM

St Petersburg, Russia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 14, 2015 11:32 PM

NYC Subway.

City Hall Station opened in 1904 (no longer used)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 14, 2015 11:42 PM

NYC looks almost dystopian.

by Anonymousreply 164April 17, 2015 4:42 AM

The "why" never much mattered to me. When I lived in NY, I spent my time living above ground. I got where I wanted to go quickly when I traveled below. I wasn't too invested in the looks of it, not a priority.

by Anonymousreply 165April 17, 2015 5:33 AM

The NYC subway system has many fine artworks to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166April 17, 2015 9:00 AM

Speaking of shitty metro stations, Chicago has got to be one of the worst.

by Anonymousreply 167April 17, 2015 9:44 AM

[quote]The "why" never much mattered to me. When I lived in NY, I spent my time living above ground. I got where I wanted to go quickly when I traveled below. I wasn't too invested in the looks of it, not a priority.

Clearly we have an aesthete in our midst.

by Anonymousreply 168April 17, 2015 9:45 AM

[quote]with all the taxes they get from all the rich people living in NYC

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 169April 17, 2015 4:08 PM

Some stations are quite nice and clean....but the MTA is corrupt. The Lex station at 53rd St. was "repaired" like 10 years ago and now all of the paint is chipping and it looks like it did before the renovation. The biggest eyesore station is the one on 5th Avenue and 53rd St. It is under the most expensive shopping street in the world and it looks like it could be found in Ruanda. Disgusting-and it has been like that for a generation or 2. The Lincoln Center stop and the Natural History Museum stop are beautiful. They will never be immaculate and always stink from the sweaty asses of the passengers and homeless urinating and taking a dump and never bathing.

by Anonymousreply 170April 17, 2015 4:27 PM

I haven't been to NY for years now...but it's coming back, the smell of piss in the stairwells going down into the stations

also, the bastards who'd throw fireworks into the stairwells as you were walking up, around 4th Of July.

New York left me on edge. I went back and thought how did I ever live here?

& the answer to that is I smoked copious amounts of pot.

(But there were many things I liked about it, don't get me wrong. But the horrid subway was not part of it).

by Anonymousreply 171April 17, 2015 4:43 PM

It might not be aesthetically pleasing, but it gets you EVERYWHERE you want to go.

by Anonymousreply 172April 17, 2015 5:16 PM

The DC metro is of more recent times, yet the stations are totally bland.

by Anonymousreply 173April 17, 2015 5:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!