Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Astronomy

This is the thread were we post news about and discuss astronomy. We've had some cool threads lately, and I thought it would be good to have future posts appended to one thread.

Planets

Black Holes

Galaxies

Comets

Big Bangs; modest bangs; small, shy bangs

And more!

I'll start, the Washington Post has a cool article today on a probe of the planet Ceres. I think they were being too cute and attempting to generate views by referring to this piddling dwarf-planet as a "planet", without qualification. But no matter, we're there, taking pictures and orbiting.

This thread is [italic]not[/italic] for astrology posts, please.

by Anonymousreply 59601/28/2017

Neil lagasse ferguson is totally a hot daddy

by Anonymousreply 103/06/2015

This thread is not for astrology posts, please.

But they're obviously related.

by Anonymousreply 203/06/2015

They're no more related than Nephrology and Phrenology.

by Anonymousreply 303/06/2015

I love black holes. Diesel Washington and XL are my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 403/06/2015

I love planets. My favorite is Planet Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2015

Comet sucks, I prefer Ajax myself.

by Anonymousreply 603/06/2015

Big Bang is my favorite TV show. Did you see the one where Sheldon acted all weird?

by Anonymousreply 703/06/2015

Mystery 'noise' could be an Earth-like world: Strange signals suggest habitable planet exists 22 light years away

by Anonymousreply 803/06/2015

The USA no longer has a weapons monopoly in space. Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2015

Whats strange about the Ceres probe is how far away it is from its target. Right now its orbiting at like 22,000 miles. Eventually it will get as close as 250 miles. But Ceres is only 500 miles in diameter. It seems the probe is awfully far away from something so small.

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2015

Astronomy is one of the things that keeps me from frank atheism. What is the "big bang" but Creation with a capital C?

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2015

And the Lord said, "Let there be light", and then BAM, there was a whole lot of light!

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2015

R12 Sure. And a few lines later that same source says the moon produces its own light.

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2015

***BREAKING***

Water found on moons of Jupiter, suitable for life! Read, at the link!

I predict, they will find life, some slime or such, sometime within the lifetime of someone living today. Maybe it will be inferred from the atmosphere around a planet around a different start. They will find it, though!

by Anonymousreply 1403/13/2015

GANYMEDE = Total insatiable bottom

by Anonymousreply 1503/13/2015

Mars weather report:

Mostly clear with little atmosphere. Slightly dusty with occasional dust devils at 6-18 miles per hour. Low water vapor except in shaded impact craters. Radiation is expected to be moderate. No meteoroids above 1" diameter are predicted.

by Anonymousreply 1603/28/2015

Youtube the looner waive. Spell the last 2 words with the alternate spellings though. Guy's name is Crrow777.

by Anonymousreply 1703/28/2015

I knew a few black ho's

by Anonymousreply 1803/28/2015

So I suppose I'm the one who has to finally tell you, OP, that we've all already heard about the rings around Uranus.

by Anonymousreply 1903/28/2015

When you learn about all the contingent hoops our planet had to pass through to produce life, and then all the other things that had to happen to produce "intelligent" life, it wouldn't surprise me if we weren't the only intelligent species in our galaxy, or maybe even the entire universe.

But everyone else if they exist is too far away to test that hypothesis.

by Anonymousreply 2003/28/2015

R20, I also expect many planets with lots of green pond scum. And not much, otherwise. Certainly no mammal-like animals would be nearby. And the most likely nearby planets would be Venus-like (too hot), or Mars-like (too cold) for life.

But in the entire galaxy, I'd bet there is intelligent life of some kind, in many places.

But "I'm not a scientist, man"...

Oh wait, I am a scientist!

by Anonymousreply 2103/28/2015

Crow has a new video of another lunar wave. He implies that the moon is a hologram hiding the real moon because the real moon has man-made structures on it that the government doesn't want us to see. He seems like a decent guy and has some other interesting videos that I don't think he manipulates but I find the hologram idea to be a little unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 2203/28/2015

What's the purported motive to hide the Moon structures?

by Anonymousreply 2303/28/2015

[quote] Ringed by footprints, sitting in the moondust, lies a 2-foot wide panel studded with 100 mirrors pointing at Earth: Apollo 11 astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong put it there on July 21, 1969, about an hour before the end of their final moonwalk. Thirty-five years later, it's the only Apollo science experiment still running.

This mirror is used in experiments to measure the distance of the moon from Earth by shooting a lazer at the mirror and timing it's return. The experiment is conducted at facilitates around the world. They found that the moon is adding about an inch a year to its orbit, and will one day escape into space.

by Anonymousreply 2403/28/2015

OP The moon used to be much closer and has gradually drifted for a really long time. Think of what the full moon would have looked like in ages past. We sure will miss the moon when it drifts away. Oh wait we'll have destroyed ourselves by then. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 2503/28/2015

What keeps the front side of the moon always exactly facing the earth? Doesn't that seem unlikely and improbable?

by Anonymousreply 2603/28/2015

Listen to the latest Crrow777 interviews on highersidechats. Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 2703/28/2015

I love looking at the stars. Have a Celestron telescope and all kinds of filters to use with it, but light pollution has become bad in Central Texas, makes it difficult.

by Anonymousreply 2803/28/2015

R26, no, it's not improbable. The earth and our moon are gravitationally locked together.

I'm sure some scientist could explain it better than I.

by Anonymousreply 2903/28/2015

R29, but you could see all sides of the Earth from the Moon…

by Anonymousreply 3003/28/2015

R26, it's not improbable. It's actually what one would predict given their mass and location wrt each other, and the laws of physics. Like R29, I can't explain it, but you could look it up. There are other moons that are also tidaly locked, too.

by Anonymousreply 3103/28/2015

R28, I also have a telescope. It's great to drag out at family parties.

by Anonymousreply 3203/29/2015

I thought you might have a huge fail going op, but things settled down after about 24.

Huge astronomy-astrophysics fan here btw.

by Anonymousreply 3303/29/2015

My little telescope is actually powerful enough to see four moons around Jupiter. They just appear as twinkles around the planet, on which I can barely make out swirls on the surface. And it's just a little telescope.

by Anonymousreply 3403/29/2015

R33, if the "bird feeder" thread could take-off as it has, nothing will surprise me. If only there was sex and a Kardashian involved! Oh well, it's not all about the numbers, right?

by Anonymousreply 3503/29/2015

Interplanet Janet!

by Anonymousreply 3603/29/2015

It would have been awesome to see the tides when the moon was closer. You could also run and jump higher and faster.

by Anonymousreply 3703/31/2015

Why could you jump higher and run faster!

by Anonymousreply 3803/31/2015

Astronomers discover largest known structure in the universe is ... a big hole

Scientists searching for an explanation for an unusually cool area of sky instead discovered a supervoid: an empty spherical blob 1.8 billion light years across

by Anonymousreply 3904/20/2015

Smart bastard R36 has me cracking up at my desk.

by Anonymousreply 4004/20/2015

So it wasn't until r19 that a Uranus joke got mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 4104/20/2015

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius

Age of Aquarius

Harmony and understanding

Sympathy and trust abounding

Some more word I don't know

Dreams of visions, mystic crystal revelation

And the time for liberation

Aquarius, Aquarius

by Anonymousreply 4204/20/2015

so much for that

by Anonymousreply 4304/20/2015

Geology rocks!

by Anonymousreply 4404/20/2015

The moon orbits the Earth once every 27.322 days. It also takes approximately 27 days for the moon to rotate once on its axis. As a result, the moon does not seem to be spinning but appears to observers from Earth to be keeping almost perfectly still.

by Anonymousreply 4504/20/2015

The link is a site that will email you to tell you when the international space station will fly overhead in your location. You can see it with the naked eye. It is pretty amazing to see it cross the sky.

Check it out, you can amaze your friends.

by Anonymousreply 4604/20/2015

Hubble at 25: the best images from the space telescope - in pictures

As the Hubble space telescope gets ready to celebrate 25 years since its launch, we look back at some of the iconic images it has produced

by Anonymousreply 4704/21/2015

Why are Virgo men so cold and distant?

by Anonymousreply 4804/21/2015

Thanks, R47, I like 16, the photo showing that galaxies are as numerous as the stars seem to be.

by Anonymousreply 4904/21/2015

Cool interactive map of Mercury. Apparently, the U.S. is going to bomb Mercury soon, having run out of countries on Earth to bomb.

by Anonymousreply 5004/30/2015

Far out, man: 13.1bn-year-old galaxy is most distant yet seen by humans

Galaxy EGS-zs8-1 has moved 30bn light-years away from Earth since it was born: ‘We’re actually looking back through 95% of all time to see this galaxy’

Alan Yuhas in the Milky Way, Thursday 7 May 2015 15.22 EDT

A team of astronomers has measured a galaxy farther than any other ever seen by human beings, reporting this week that the ancient star system offers a glimpse of what the universe was like not all that long after the beginning of time.

Astronomers from Yale University and the University of California Santa Cruz announced in the Astrophysical Journal that they had identified a galaxy that formed about 13.1bn years ago, making it the earliest measured galaxy known in the 13.8bn-year history of the universe since the big bang.

The newly measured galaxy, given the unromantic moniker EGS-zs8-1, now holds the record for distance: because the universe has continued to expand since its original existential spasm, early galaxies moved farther and farther outward over the millennia, eventually putting EGS-zs8-1 an estimated 30bn light-years away from Earth.

But because light can only travel so fast through the vast distances of space, what reaches Earth is actually old light – the sight of what the sun looked like a few minutes ago rather than what it looks like at that moment.

Light reflected off the moon takes 1.3 seconds to reach Earth, sunlight takes eight minutes and light from a distant galaxy takes billions of years. The effect, through powerful telescopes like the Hubble, is of looking into eons past.

So what we see in EGS-zs8-1 is happening a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

“We’re actually looking back through 95% of all time to see this galaxy,” Garth Illingworth, an astronomer at the University of California Santa Cruz and co-author of the paper, told the Los Angeles Times. “It’s really a galaxy in its infancy,” he added, “when the universe was in its infancy.”

Astronomers can therefore see these ancient, distant galaxies as when they were “young” and in an early form. EGS-zs8-1 is unusually large and bright among the known early, distant galaxies, already about one-sixth the mass of the Milky Way – about 8bn suns – and creating stars 80 times faster than our galaxy, the researchers found.

“While we saw the galaxy as it was 13bn years ago, it had already built more than 15% of the mass of our own Milky Way today,” Yale researcher Pascal Oesch, the lead author of the paper, said in a statement. Oesch suggested that the research would help illustrate some of the earliest epochs of the cosmos: “The universe was still very young then.”

“By looking at different galaxies as a function of time, we can reconstruct the buildup of the heavy elements that we see around us today and that we’re all made of,” Oesch said. He added that the data gave clues as to “how the stars were forming at these extreme distances, and they seem to be forming differently than the local universe. Every discovery opens up a whole new set of questions.”

Both Oesch and Illingworth said that the Hubble appears to show many more light sources and likely galaxies even farther away, but that they cannot yet measure their distance. With more data about more distant galaxies, researchers hope to gain insight into how galaxies formed, and so quickly, after the big bang.

Scientists have raced in recent years to discover ever more distant and older galaxies, in paradoxical pursuit of clues to the early universe. Astronomers try to measure distance by seeing how starlight stretches, or “redshifts”, from the ultraviolet levels of high-energy light down to what’s visible to the eye, and then farther down to infrared levels. As the universe expands at an accelerating clip, the light stretches along longer wavelengths and becomes “redder”.

To measure the distance of this galaxy, the Yale and UC Santa Cruz team used a spectrograph called Mosfire mounted on a specialized telescope – itself mounted on the dormant volcano of Mauna Kea on Hawaii. Nasa plans to launch a new super telescope, the James Webb Space Telescope, to join the ageing Hubble in orbit, and also to add a gigantic Thirty Meter Telescope to the observatory complex in Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 5105/07/2015

Great, R51. I read elsewhere that astronomers believe they saw God waving at them, but this has not yet been confirmed. It might just be a gas cloud. One, or the other.

by Anonymousreply 5205/07/2015

My sister bought me a star named after me in the Orion area of the sky. It's very hard to see, but I have a telescope. No one recognizes the ownership or name rights except the company selling the certificates, and me, but that's ok. No hard feelings.

Hey you kids, get off my planets!

by Anonymousreply 5305/07/2015

So, theoretically, what would happen to the Earth's tides if the moon were blown up?

What consequences would be result from the changed tidal activity?

by Anonymousreply 5405/07/2015

How about some citizen science, helping to understand the climate of Mars by classifying photos?

by Anonymousreply 5505/07/2015

R42 it's the Age of Pices

Ceres(dwarf planet and asteroid),Pluto,Eris,Varuna,Sedna,Haumea,Makemake,ect(dwarf planet/Kuiper Belt Object)

R54 see link

by Anonymousreply 5605/07/2015

Thanks, R56 .

I figured I would ask my question on the board to get a more layman's explanation of my question.

However, the article that you provided was very clear and easy to understand.

Many thanks.

by Anonymousreply 5705/07/2015

I dragged my telescope out last night. I saw Venus before it set. Venus goes through phases like the Moon, but was full last night. Then I found Jupiter. I saw four sparkly moons in space around the big guy.

Saturn was rising too late and it was too cold to dilly-dally, so I missed that planet. Trees blocked my view of Mercury as it was setting, and the moon had set early, too.

I'm looking forward to using the telescope in Summer.

by Anonymousreply 5805/18/2015

Saturn's yearly opposition is tonight, meaning good viewing through June.

by Anonymousreply 5905/22/2015

Anyone have any nude pictures of Neil deGrasse Tyson??? I lubs him.

by Anonymousreply 6005/22/2015

Schoolboy on work experience discovers planet

Newcastle-under-Lyme pupil Tom Wagg spotted dip in light which revealed existence of a planet while on placement at Keele University two years ago

by Anonymousreply 6106/11/2015

Hubble, your pictures are lovely.

by Anonymousreply 6206/11/2015

I was probed.

by Anonymousreply 6306/11/2015

We're on our way to Pluto and were wondering if you'd like a lift?

by Anonymousreply 6406/21/2015

So will this be the unofficial Pluto thread? I feel like it should have it's own thread.

by Anonymousreply 6506/21/2015

Thanks for starting this thread, OP, it's wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 6606/21/2015

Ceres's Bright Spots

by Anonymousreply 6706/21/2015

Ceres's Bright Spots...linl (sorry) Great thread, OP. TY

by Anonymousreply 6806/21/2015

If you haven't downloaded Worldwide Telescope, I highly recommend it. I've had it for years, and get lost in space for hours at a time. Connect to a big screen, and enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 6906/21/2015

Mars' moon, Phobos has a structure.

by Anonymousreply 7006/21/2015

I agree, R66 - thanks. OP.

by Anonymousreply 7106/21/2015

I like looking at the Moon, spotting the Sea of Tranquility, and knowing parts of Apollo 11 are still there.

by Anonymousreply 7206/21/2015

Me, too, R72. It still fills me with awe.

by Anonymousreply 7306/21/2015

So. What's everyone's favorite moon? Besides ours. I'm partial to Enceladus - geysers! - and intrigued by Titan, still.

by Anonymousreply 7406/21/2015

So many fascinating moons in the solar system.

I love the "Galilean" moons that orbit Jupiter. It's like a mini solar system.

Here's a "family portrait" of the moons.

by Anonymousreply 7506/22/2015

I like Enceladus and that slut Miranda

by Anonymousreply 7606/22/2015

I think I'm the biggest slut in the solar system.

by Anonymousreply 7706/22/2015

Miranda and Venus your both sluts

by Anonymousreply 7806/22/2015

I'm Jupiter's favorite slut so I win!

by Anonymousreply 7906/22/2015

The volcanic moon Io above the clouds of Jupiter.

Amazing!

by Anonymousreply 8006/24/2015

You are welcome, Space Cowboys!

by Anonymousreply 8106/24/2015

[quote] R65: So will this be the unofficial Pluto thread?

Yes, this is the official "Unofficial Pluto Thread". Only true planets can have official threads, per the IFP Handbook.

by Anonymousreply 8206/24/2015

My telescope is just a $400 compact thingy, but I can still be four moons around Jupiter with it. They appear as tiny sparkly things hanging out in the general vicinity of the big guy.

by Anonymousreply 8306/24/2015

Love this thread OP! Thanks all.

by Anonymousreply 8406/24/2015

"...but I can still SEE four moons around Jupiter...", I meant, not "...be four moons...".

by Anonymousreply 8506/24/2015

And then I realized I posted this all before, sorry mates!

by Anonymousreply 8606/25/2015

Amazingly detailed images of the surface of Europa!

by Anonymousreply 8706/25/2015

Click on the image to zoom.

by Anonymousreply 8806/25/2015

More images of the surface.

by Anonymousreply 8906/25/2015

Click on image to zoom.

by Anonymousreply 9006/25/2015

Click on image to zoom.

by Anonymousreply 9106/25/2015

More Europa mosaics.

by Anonymousreply 9206/25/2015

Click image to zoom.

by Anonymousreply 9306/25/2015

Click image to zoom.

The surface looks straight out of science fiction!

by Anonymousreply 9406/25/2015

Click image to zoom.

Look at those curved ridges. Amazing!

by Anonymousreply 9506/25/2015

Now I've seen it ALL - fangirling one of the moons of Jupiter!

by Anonymousreply 9606/25/2015

R94 I love seeing the ridges criss cross and intersect each other. It's like a highway!

Just imagine how amazing it would be to walk on the surface.

by Anonymousreply 9706/26/2015

An M-Class solar flare was reported today. I don't think this is unusual, though I really don't know.

by Anonymousreply 9806/26/2015

I like black holes.

by Anonymousreply 9906/26/2015

Seriously only R96 and I are impressed with the Europa images?

by Anonymousreply 10006/26/2015

I liked the Europa images!

by Anonymousreply 10106/26/2015

Thanks OP.

Looks like we're going back to Europa bitches!

by Anonymousreply 10206/28/2015

All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landing there. Use them together. Use them in peace.

by Anonymousreply 10306/28/2015

The Space X cargo ship was destroyed when the launch vehicle exploded.

One of the Tiger Kids working for the Uber of the Space companies copied the wrong number for input.

by Anonymousreply 10406/28/2015

"Hie! Hie! Me no copy! Me reuse!"

by Anonymousreply 10506/28/2015

I just heard on the news that the government is trying to regulate Mercury!!!

When will the tears stop!

by Anonymousreply 10606/29/2015

Every time this thread pops up I laugh like hell at OP's emphatic pleas that it's for astronomy, not astrology. Like many on DL will comply anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10706/29/2015

R107, you should read the thread on the "Downy Woodpecker". There is some earnest person there who occassionaly chimes-in to tell people that "the thread is for Downy Woodpeckers only. Please start a new thread if you want to talk about Blue Jays, Grackles, or other birds." Of course, no one has much more to say about Downy Woodpeckers, and there is very little to say about any birds at all, so the one thread works just fine. But that guy is adamant about it being a thread for Downtown Woodpeckers only, He is actually quite charming, though completely ignored.

by Anonymousreply 10806/30/2015

Rosetta spacecraft spots enormous sinkholes on comet 67P

Discovery rules out many theories of comet formation by demonstrating that comets have substantial variations in their internal structures

by Anonymousreply 10907/01/2015

The planets creep me out, some of them are SO much larger than earth. Saturn is so freaky. And it's so freaky that you can be looking up at stars that are not in the same time frame as us - you're looking at the PAST. Or maybe I'm wrong. I hope there's never a Melancholia situation happening here.

I guess everyone has seen this mind-blowing video of the Andromeda galaxy - I didn't check all the previous links.

by Anonymousreply 11007/01/2015

Wow, R110, great video, thanks! About the freaky planets, may I suggest decaf? Honest, it'll do wonders for your perspective.

by Anonymousreply 11107/01/2015

Yes, you are looking into the past. When you look at the moon, you see with light that takes about 2.5 seconds to reach you from the moon. You therefore see the moon as it looked about 2.5 seconds earlier. When you go further out in space, which is very big, you get longer delays. I think we can only see things that are up to about 13.5 billion light years ago. We can't see further because time only began with the Big Bang, which was about 13.8 billion years ago.

How's that for freaky!

by Anonymousreply 11207/01/2015

We recently got a close encounters with an ELE asteroid, and didn't know it until it was past us. It passed INSIDE the moon's orbit. There is some other ELE sized object that they do know of, which is making a flyby some year soon. They aren't worried about that event; however, we won't know until it passes if the flyby will perturb its orbit, so that when it returns 20 years later for another flyby, it might run smack into us. At least they know about this one. If it's trouble, they have a couple decades to figure out how to prevent it. Maybe they will just send us all into the past via time travel?

by Anonymousreply 11307/01/2015

For a limited time only, Venus and Saturn are really close together! I don't know why anyone cares about this, but I'm getting all sorts of texts and pings and the phone is ringing off the hook. (Do the Millenials know what a "hook" is?). Anyway, be a wise man and look NOW before it's over for another 2000 years!

by Anonymousreply 11407/01/2015

R110, the one I find freaky is that a star could go supernova nearby, and under certain conditions, we won't know about it until it obliterates the entire planet in a millisecond. We'll have no advanced notice, since the x-rays and other energetic rays that will fry us travel at the speed of light, and nothing travels faster, so there is no way to know in advance. The star Beetlejuice is a candidate for just such an event. Astronomy writer Phil Plait says we are in no danger, but I have reservations, based on nothing.

by Anonymousreply 11507/01/2015

And please, people, it's astronomy, not astrology!

[italic]Gracios! [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 11607/01/2015

Have you seen this? NASA cuts off live feed as "UFO" appears to leave our planet!

by Anonymousreply 11707/01/2015

[quote] When you look at the moon, you see with light that takes about 2.5 seconds to reach you from the moon. You therefore see the moon as it looked about 2.5 seconds earlier.

Thank you God (or R112). I was trying to figure out a way to explain this to my sister and now I have it.

R115, that IS frightening.

by Anonymousreply 11807/01/2015

A black hole has been caught burping out X-rays

Astronomers have spotted short bursts of X-rays coming from a black hole, suggesting it has become more active

by Anonymousreply 11907/02/2015

Propitia Sydera

by Anonymousreply 12007/02/2015

Not with a bang, but with a Big Rip: how the world will end

New model suggests that as the universe expands everything from galaxies to space-time itself will be torn apart - but not for about 22 billion years

by Anonymousreply 12107/02/2015

I'm TOTALLy crushing on some Hot astronomy dudes, like this guy

by Anonymousreply 12207/02/2015

And this stud

by Anonymousreply 12307/02/2015

R122 - R123 you need prescription glasses if you think those guys are studs.

I've never been so dissapointed after clicking a link.

by Anonymousreply 12407/02/2015

I think they are HOTTER than hot, and smart astronomers!

by Anonymousreply 12507/02/2015

The cosmic bucket list: 11 things to see in the universe before it dies (in 22bn years)

With the ‘big rip’ bearing down on us, let’s get out there and catch the must-see sights of a slowly dying universe

by Anonymousreply 12607/03/2015

Good one, R125! I think it would be cool to look up in the sky at night when the Andromida Galaxy is closer. It would be quite a light show!

by Anonymousreply 12707/03/2015

'Hot' is in the eye of the beholder, R124 - the guy in R122's link is Phil Plait, and he's really funny on Twitter - and was very supportive of our recently gained equal rights, as well. Good guy.

I, however, am still stuck on Brian Cox - and countless astronauts really get my motor runnin' - Reid Wiseman, being a good example. Still think that the hottest of 'em all was Carl Sagan, though.

Eye. Beholder. Yeah.

by Anonymousreply 12807/03/2015

Skinny jeans are out - astronomy is IN

by Anonymousreply 12907/03/2015

Science guys are HOT

by Anonymousreply 13007/03/2015

Oh shit....

by Anonymousreply 13107/05/2015

Shoo, this is a golden opportunity to view this distant world.

by Anonymousreply 13207/05/2015

another science hottie

by Anonymousreply 13307/06/2015

Great thread! I have a couple of cousins who are super smart Astro dudes. I often question why I didn't get the physics gene, what a great big world those guys have in their minds.

by Anonymousreply 13407/06/2015

Astronomy Picture of the Day is a nice site.

by Anonymousreply 13507/06/2015

Thanks for the link R135!

by Anonymousreply 13607/06/2015

OMG, R135! You've found a Gay galaxy!

by Anonymousreply 13707/06/2015

You want gay nebulae, R137?

Well here's a nice long, thick "pillar of creation", hur hur.

by Anonymousreply 13807/06/2015

It's awfully Gay out there. Thank you, R138.

by Anonymousreply 13907/06/2015

Gayer and gayer

by Anonymousreply 14007/06/2015

Now THIS is a hot science guy.

by Anonymousreply 14107/06/2015

He is

All of them need to get into a room and explore each other sexually.

by Anonymousreply 14207/06/2015

Rare system of five stars discovered

by Anonymousreply 14307/08/2015

Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2015 shortlist - in pictures

The competition, which is run by the Royal Observatory Greenwich in association with Insight Investment and BBC Sky at Night Magazine, is now in its seventh year and continues to go from strength to strength, receiving a record number of over 2700 spectacular entries from enthusiastic amateurs and professional photographers from over 60 countries spanning the globe

by Anonymousreply 14407/09/2015

Amazing pictures!

Thanks for the link R144!

by Anonymousreply 14507/09/2015

That’s me in the picture: Bruce McCandless, 47, in the world’s first untethered space flight, February 1984

‘I wanted to say something similar to Neil [Armstrong] when he landed on the moon, so I said, “It may have been a small step for Neil, but it’s a heck of a big leap for me.” That loosened the tension a bit’

by Anonymousreply 14607/10/2015

Pluto surface is becoming clearer...

by Anonymousreply 14707/10/2015

R147, I think that working at NASA requires a nerd-quotient of over 95%, Pluto?

by Anonymousreply 14807/10/2015

Most revealing close-up if Pluto to date.

by Anonymousreply 14907/10/2015

Don't be coy, r149. That's not the most revealing image of Pluto. I know you have pictures of him presenting hole.

by Anonymousreply 15007/10/2015

This is the most revealing picture of Pluto.

Look into his creepy eyes....

by Anonymousreply 15107/11/2015

Amazing new pics of earth from jap

by Anonymousreply 15207/13/2015

When Pluto squares the Sun there will be Hell to pay.

by Anonymousreply 15307/13/2015

Not quite astronomy but...

Large Hadron Collider scientists discover new particles: pentaquarks

Although long believed to be theoretically possible, new data from Cern has provided conclusive evidence for a new state of matter

by Anonymousreply 15407/14/2015

Not quite astronomy but...

Large Hadron Collider scientists discover new particles: pentaquarks

Although long believed to be theoretically possible, new data from Cern has provided conclusive evidence for a new state of matter

by Anonymousreply 15507/14/2015

Don't you just love double posts.

by Anonymousreply 15607/14/2015

R155 is a very important post, so I give it a pass.

Does anyone have a good URL for Pluto watching? FYI, we just did a flyby of Pluto! By 9 pm (now) they should know if the ship survived the flyby. NASA is delaying the release of the pics until tomorrow so they can photoshop and remove the apartment buildings, research facilities, electric lights, aliens waving 'hello", that kind of thing. Brrrr, it's cold on Pluto.

by Anonymousreply 15707/14/2015

What about Pluto's polygonal structures and complex region of whale's tail?

by Anonymousreply 15807/15/2015

In ENGLISH, R158!?

by Anonymousreply 15907/15/2015

Pluto is an illuminati hoax y'all!

by Anonymousreply 16007/15/2015

Ice mountains on Pluto and an up close look at Charon.

by Anonymousreply 16107/15/2015

This made me LOL!

by Anonymousreply 16207/16/2015

Yuyp!

by Anonymousreply 16307/16/2015

Charo is on Pluto? I am surprised this has not gone to 600 posts.

by Anonymousreply 16407/16/2015

R21 (and OP) DL is not where you come to find intelligent life on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 16507/16/2015

Very cool

by Anonymousreply 16607/16/2015

Pluto should have its own thread. The big moon looks practically the same, pastel-orange snowballs apparently.

by Anonymousreply 16707/16/2015

Pluto must prove itself by killing a bad guy, before it gets its own thread, Not a good guy! Then, we'll talk.

by Anonymousreply 16807/16/2015

Pluto has the last word....

by Anonymousreply 16907/17/2015

Search for life now extends to outer reaches of solar system

The dramatic images of vast ice plains on Pluto beamed to Earth last week prove that it is regions on the edge of the solar system - long thought to be inert wastelands - that are the most exciting for scientists

by Anonymousreply 17007/18/2015

To Mars and boldly beyond: space missions to look out for

A new world of space exploration is unfolding over the next few years, from the ExoMars robot drilling to asteroid exploration, the ESA’s mission to Jupiter’s icy moons and the Solar Orbiter

by Anonymousreply 17107/18/2015

This is a really cool, brief article about how the Pluto mission came about, and came to be a success. USA! USA! USA!

by Anonymousreply 17207/19/2015

Very fun

by Anonymousreply 17307/19/2015

Has the Dawn spacecraft reached Ceres yet and when pictures from it start coming out?

by Anonymousreply 17407/19/2015

Anybody out there? $100m radio wave project to scan far regions for alien life

Breakthrough Listen, funded by Yuri Milner, will allow telescopes to eavesdrop on planets that orbit the million stars closest to Earth and 100 nearest galaxies

by Anonymousreply 17507/20/2015

Nasa says scientists have found 'closest twin to Earth' outside solar system

Using four years’ worth of data from the Kepler space telescope, researchers announced the new exoplanet along with 12 possible ‘habitable’ others

by Anonymousreply 17607/23/2015

Another mystery solved bitches!

by Anonymousreply 17707/25/2015

Yay for science!

by Anonymousreply 17807/26/2015

Anyone else love "How The Universe Works", starting its 3rd season now? Fantastic CGI, who needs actual space travel, computers can simulate it in HD.

by Anonymousreply 17907/28/2015

The Moon photobombs the Earth!

by Anonymousreply 18008/05/2015

Nasa says Congress cuts mean $490m is needed to buy rides on Russian rockets

Funding shortfall in programme to replace space shuttle means Soyuz remains the only way Americans can get to International Space Station, says Nasa chief

by Anonymousreply 18108/05/2015

Universe slowly dying as old stars fade faster than new ones are born

Analysis of starlight from more than 220,000 distant galaxies shows that the cosmos has lost half of its brightness in the past two billion years

by Anonymousreply 18208/10/2015

Black Holes Aren't As Black As Thought, Says Stephen Hawking In New Theory

August 25, 2015 | by Jonathan O'Callaghan

Stephen Hawking says he may have solved a problem that has plagued astrophysics for 40 years: the information loss paradox.

For decades, scientists have argued about what happens to the information relating to the death of a star that forms a black hole. It’s known that nothing, not even light, can escape from a black hole owing to its intense gravitational pull. Quantum mechanics, though, says that information cannot be destroyed; general relativity says it must be. Hence, the information loss paradox.

In the 1970s, Hawking said black holes could emit “information-less photons” via quantum fluctuations – tiny perturbations in space-time – called Hawking radiation, but in 2004 he produced a new theory that claimed information could actually escape from a black hole. How that would occur wasn’t clear, but now he says he has an answer.

by Anonymousreply 18308/25/2015

[quote] Jupiter and Saturn, the gas giants, are something like our solar systems’ favored children. Their ice giant siblings, Uranus and Neptune, have received much less attention over the course of our explorations of the planets. A significant group of readers wanted to rectify that. Of the two planets, interest in Uranus was greater. Marjorie Parent-Greenman of Ann Arbor, Mich., explained what fired her imagination with a number of questions: “It’s the only planet, in our solar system, with a tilted axis. How, or why, did that happen? Has it always been tilted? If not, what caused it?” Lucas, a 7-year-old also in Ann Arbor, wrote, “It’s so colorful and beautiful, and it’s interesting to learn about a colorful and beautiful planet.”

[quote] Another reader, Dan Moss in Dallas, offered a more novel justification for studying the seventh planet from the sun: That unfortunate name — Uranus — has made a perfectly fine planet the butt of every schoolyard joke and late-nite wisecrack in English. Nothing would rehabilitate poor Uranus like a proper, awesome visit.

I've always had a soft spot for Uranus. It's such an underrated planet that's often labeled "the most boring planet" because of its uniform atmosphere. Plus it's constantly the butt of lame jokes.

by Anonymousreply 18408/29/2015

Six amazing sights that look even better from the International Space Station

The astronauts living on the ISS get to experience the wonders of the universe’s natural phenomena like no one else

by Anonymousreply 18508/29/2015

Hypervelocity stars wander cosmos

Some stars may travel across the Universe, perhaps with aliens in tow

by Anonymousreply 18609/07/2015

Evidence of liquid water on the surface of Mars!

by Anonymousreply 18709/29/2015

Google changed its logo in response to the Mars news.

by Anonymousreply 18809/29/2015

I had a little Celestron refractor as a kid that I loved and had to sell, and after all these years, this thread has me checking out the latest stuff. I'm torn between the spacy computer driven models, and the old fashioned kind...I find I could buy bigger if it's not super high tech.

Star party at my place!

by Anonymousreply 18909/29/2015

*****BREAKING******BREAKING*******BREAKING***

NASA reports traces of green cheese found on moon. Nosy scientists snooping around the moon's atmosphere during the recent blood moon have detected traces of green cheese in the thin lunar atmosphere. NASA has ruled out remnants of a bag of Cheetos left by Buzz Aldren in 1969, as they have a 50 year shelf life and would not be green. (See related story on Buzz Aldren brand marijuana brownies go on sale in Colorado.) Scientists are stumped. Ancient cheese loving aliens are a possibility, reports Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 19009/29/2015

*****BREAKING******BREAKING*** - ****BREAKING***

Rush Limburger reported today that the water found on Mars is almost certainly a preface to something intended to promote the liberal agenda. Rush speculated that it may be something related to climate change. He added that the absence of oceans on Mars today may be used as a cautionary tail to influence the public against climate change. Rush further added that he was eager to hear exactly what awful thing might come from this otherwise completely innocent news about an interesting and serious scientific discovery.

by Anonymousreply 19109/29/2015

At least one of the above BREAKING news stories is 100% true. Any guesses?

by Anonymousreply 19209/29/2015

Jesus Christ I though you were joking at R191!

by Anonymousreply 19309/29/2015

R193, you are correct, Sir! I shall FedEx you an Oatmeal Raisin cookie at my first opportunity as a prize for your sagacity and insight!

by Anonymousreply 19409/29/2015

*thought

by Anonymousreply 19509/29/2015

I suppose it was a slow news day. Rush has a lot of time he has to fill. Plus he was probably high. And he is a Republican and probably will say anything and not be disinclined from lying.

by Anonymousreply 19609/29/2015

Why do we have a space station? Besides exciting school children. What are they doing up there? I have no idea, and I am a space geek. I look forward to the day they find some kind of life out there somewhere. But do they need a space station for that?

by Anonymousreply 19709/30/2015

Deep space travel will probably be staged from the moon. It has all the resources necessary, even water, frost accumulations in some craters.

by Anonymousreply 19809/30/2015

I gather that there are no precious metals on the moon that are easy to find?

by Anonymousreply 19909/30/2015

Really cool new pic of other galaxies. There's a link to a larger version in the article.

by Anonymousreply 20010/11/2015

You see, this is why the universe is expanding, from people clicking on the link to the larger universe in the article. I wish people would put more thought into these things before messing with the universe. We'll never stop global warming with guys clicking on links for really hot guys. Do you ever click on the link for really cool guys? No, you don't. That's why we're doomed.

by Anonymousreply 20110/11/2015

I just learned that Saturn's moon, Titan, orbits in reverse direction. It goes around reverse to the direction of the planet's rotation. This would not be natural forming. It was probably cruising by and was captured by the planet. The show I'm watching said it was captured in a crash with another object; but if things were right, it might have been captured simply by gravity, perhaps by more than one object. But reverse is weird! .

by Anonymousreply 20210/13/2015

R202 I think you're mistaking Titan with Triton.

Triton is a moon of Neptune and is the only large moon that orbits in the opposite direction of its planets rotation.

by Anonymousreply 20310/13/2015

Well yes, R203, it seems I am, thank you!

Or should I write "Titan, Triton, Shmitron, whatever"?

by Anonymousreply 20410/13/2015

The Most Mysterious Star in Our Galaxy

Astronomers have spotted a strange mess of objects whirling around a distant star. Scientists who search for extraterrestrial civilizations are scrambling to get a closer look.

by Anonymousreply 20510/14/2015

Jupiter in ultra high definition – Nasa video

Nasa’s Hubble space telescope shows never-before-seen details of Jupiter. The high-resolution imagery and maps are the first results from a programme to investigate the solar system’s outer planets. The observations are designed to capture a broad range of features, including winds, clouds, storms and atmospheric chemistry

by Anonymousreply 20610/14/2015

Pluto as we know it now: Nasa report unwraps enigma of dwarf planet

Researchers present collection of New Horizons data, revealing water icebergs on ‘a surface unlike any planetary surface we’ve ever seen before’

by Anonymousreply 20710/15/2015

The queer thing about Pluto, IMHO, is that its orbit isn't in the same plane as all the other planets' orbits. It's obviously a problem planet. No wonder they demoted it.

by Anonymousreply 20810/18/2015

What about the alien megastructures?

by Anonymousreply 20910/18/2015

They're studying the megastructures star and say they might have some results from it as soon as January.

by Anonymousreply 21010/18/2015

I think that the "strangeness" of the star simply demonstrates the limits of human imagination.

[quote] that would be an extraordinary coincidence, if that happened so recently, only a few millennia before humans developed the tech to loft a telescope into space. That’s a narrow band of time, cosmically speaking.

This quote is nonsense. If humans developed a million years earlier or later, this might easily be observed as happening someplace else. It might be rare, but it could easily be happening someplace else that we haven't yet discovered. Nothing I read her impresses me.

by Anonymousreply 21110/18/2015

I still don't understand what a singularity is. Any good explanation to me?

by Anonymousreply 21210/18/2015

by Anonymousreply 21310/18/2015

Questions of science; science and progress. Do not speak as loud as my heart

by Anonymousreply 21410/18/2015

R212, they strangely use the seemingly unique term for a few different things. I've heard it used for the point from which the big-bang banged. I've also heard it used for a black hole, especially any black hole at the center of a galaxy. I've lastly heard it used for any oddity that seems to originate from a small point.

One thing they all have in common is that there is a lot unknown and unknowable about their origination, and the physics within them. So in part, the word is a smart sounding way to stand-in for the expression that a lot is unknown.

So, it might be less confusing to know that the definition seems to depend and vary based on context.

by Anonymousreply 21510/18/2015

Amazing image. keep clicking

by Anonymousreply 21610/21/2015

Rosetta finds oxygen on comet 67P in 'most surprising discovery to date'

Oxygen revealed to be fourth most abundant gas in the comet’s atmosphere, contradicting long-held theories of comet formation

by Anonymousreply 21710/28/2015

I didn't know comets had an atmosphere. I thought they are too small to have one. I guess the gas is expelled from inside...

I wonder if in part Earth¿s oxygen came from comets too...

by Anonymousreply 21810/28/2015

The moon can't leave. It's my friend

by Anonymousreply 21910/28/2015

Can't we change the pronunciation to "Ooh-Ran-oos"? The British mispronunce things all the time. People in medicine pronounce words differently, depending on time and place.

I learned "duodenum" as "do-oh-DE-num." then it switched to "Doo-ODD-eh-num" for years as the preferred pronunciation. Now I hear people saying "doo-oh-DE-num" again.

So we can surely change the pronunciation of Uranus.

by Anonymousreply 22010/28/2015

A newly discovered asteroid will be passing by the Earth on Holloween. It is passing between the Earth and the Moon and even between the Earth and some satellites! Phew, it's a big one, too!

by Anonymousreply 22110/30/2015

Dubbed "The Great Pumpkin" by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the asteroid has a diameter of 400 metres, twice the size of the Rogers Centre in Toronto, and it's travelling through space at the dizzying speed of 35 kilometres per second. It will actually NOT fly between the Earth and Moon.

by Anonymousreply 22210/30/2015

Space junk called "WTF" coning to earth soon

by Anonymousreply 22310/30/2015

It has been an interesting year for astronomy. Ceres and its whites spots, liquid water on Mars, a mysterious "megastructure" around a distant star, an asteroid passing extremely close to Earth, etc.

by Anonymousreply 22410/30/2015

Carl Sagen dressed like a goober. THERE, I SAID it!

by Anonymousreply 22511/01/2015

Bill Nye the science guy has a new TV show on NatGeo, which you have all missed because tonight's show is almost over. Are you jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 22611/01/2015

The sounds of planets. Saturn the scariest.

by Anonymousreply 22711/03/2015

Edinburgh University astronomers find sunless world

3 November 2015

Clouds made of droplets of molten iron have been detected on a sunless world 75 light years from Earth.

The planet-like object, PSO J318.5-22, was already considered one of the strangest ever discovered.

About the same size as Jupiter, it floats freely out on its own in space.

Scientists estimate it is only about 20 million years old. Edinburgh University astronomers used a telescope in Chile to show it is covered in multiple layers of thick and thin cloud.

It has no parent star. Hot dust

Without the dazzling light of a parent star, the team was able to carry out accurate measurements of the object's varying brightness.

They estimated temperatures inside its clouds to exceed 800C. The clouds were made up of hot dust and molten iron.

Dr Beth Biller, of the University of Edinburgh's School of Physics and Astronomy, said: "This discovery shows just how ubiquitous clouds are in planets and planet-like objects.

"We're working on extending this technique to giant planets around young stars, and eventually we hope to detect weather in Earth-like exoplanets that may harbour life."

The findings are published in The Astrophysical Journal.

by Anonymousreply 22811/04/2015

NASA | Thermonuclear Art – The Sun In Ultra-HD (4K)

Published on Nov 1, 2015

It’s always shining, always ablaze with light and energy. In the ubiquity of solar output, Earth swims in an endless tide of particles. Every time half of the Earth faces the Sun, we experience the brightness of daytime, the Sun’s energy and light driving weather, biology and more. But in space, NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) keeps an eye on our nearest star 24/7. SDO captures images of the Sun in 10 different wavelengths, each of which helps highlight a different temperature of solar material. In this video we experience images of the Sun in unprecedented detail captured by SDO. Presented in ultra-high definition video (4K) the video presents the nuclear fire of our life-giving star in intimate detail, offering new perspective into our own relationships with grand forces of the solar system.

by Anonymousreply 22911/04/2015

Edinburgh University astronomers find sunless world

The Pacific Northwest?

by Anonymousreply 23011/04/2015

The Entire Milky Way Might Be a Huge Wormhole That’s Stable and Navigable

by Anonymousreply 23111/05/2015

Scientists May Have Found Evidence of a Parallel Universe

by Anonymousreply 23211/09/2015

Earth-like world could be 'most important planet found outside solar system'

GJ 1132b is close enough for telescopes to observe any atmosphere it might have, which could help scientists spot signs of life on other planets in the future

by Anonymousreply 23311/11/2015

'Most distant' Solar System object spied

by Anonymousreply 23411/11/2015

Honestly, we give too much money to NASA. How does this help our country at all? Where is the return in investment? It's like giving money to the arts.

by Anonymousreply 23511/11/2015

Looking at the stars may not be that expensive and many of these findings are not done in the US but in other countries like Chile. Chile has one of the best skies to explore the universe.

by Anonymousreply 23611/11/2015

I would love to look at the stars at the observatory in Chile

by Anonymousreply 23711/11/2015

R235, if we discover a new asteroid in an orbit to hit the Earth in five years that will destroy most or all life, but which we can nudge out of a collision course during the interim, it will be worth it.

Besides, ...oh, you're joking, I now see. Well, I already wrote the above, so, so there!

by Anonymousreply 23811/11/2015

Gravity will rip Martian moon apart to form dust and rubble ring

Mars will become the fifth ringed planet as the largest of its two moons disintegrate - in 20 to 70 million years, according to new data

by Anonymousreply 23911/23/2015

Aww, but I like Phobos.

by Anonymousreply 24011/23/2015

I wish Mars were almost as big as Earth and not as small as it actually is. It would provide more opportunities for human colonisation of Mars. But I wonder if the planet were bigger would it cause some kind of trouble to Earth? Gravity battles affecting the position of Earth in the solar system and stuff like that...

by Anonymousreply 24111/23/2015

R241, if Mars were Earth size, it would still have a liquid metal center, and a magnetic field. The field would have protected it's atmosphere from the Solar winds, and it would therefore still have liquid water on its surface.

Due to the occasional exchange of rocks between Earth and it, this means it could have had life swimming around in these bodies of water.

Too bad, that would have been exciting.

by Anonymousreply 24211/24/2015

Pluto is shockingly pretty

by Anonymousreply 24311/24/2015

If Mars were bigger, since we're being all hypothetical, I don't think it would have effected Earth necessarily. It might have sucked-up more passing comets that it actually has. Maybe the dinosaur-killing comet would have struck Mars instead, and there'd still be those big guys roaming around, and no humans. We'll never know!

by Anonymousreply 24411/24/2015

Pluto is the "bad boy" of the planet species.

by Anonymousreply 24511/24/2015

What colour is Ceres, does anybody know?

by Anonymousreply 24611/24/2015

Pluto looks like the paint peeled off in parts, with the blackish metal planet showing underneath

by Anonymousreply 24711/24/2015

that's what I like

by Anonymousreply 24811/24/2015

Size comparison of the universe 2015

by Anonymousreply 24911/26/2015

Thanks, R249! Happy Thanksgiving!

by Anonymousreply 25011/26/2015

I wonder how Eath and the moon can still attract each other if both are so far apart

by Anonymousreply 25111/26/2015

The Cheshire Cat Galaxy Group, Where Alice In Wonderland Meets Einstein

by Anonymousreply 25211/27/2015

The Smallest Galaxies In The Universe Have The Most Dark Matter

by Anonymousreply 25312/02/2015

I love it

by Anonymousreply 25412/03/2015

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 25512/03/2015

R251, that is outstanding! I wonder what the motivation is for someone to produce something like that? It obviously took a lot of research and then a lot of design and coding.

by Anonymousreply 25612/03/2015

R253, good read, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 25712/03/2015

Hubble spots faintest galaxy from early universe.

by Anonymousreply 25812/03/2015

incredibly exciting

by Anonymousreply 25912/03/2015

Controversial experiment sees no evidence that the universe is a hologram.

by Anonymousreply 26012/05/2015

star light, star bright

by Anonymousreply 26112/05/2015

Scientists detect the magnetic field that powers our galaxy’s supermassive black hole.

by Anonymousreply 26212/06/2015

Stargazing: the perfect way to experience the wilderness – in pictures

After multiple seasons as a natural history guide and backcountry patrol ranger for the US Forest Service, Joe Whittle has come to the conclusion that to fully experience wilderness, one must spend time in it alone at night

by Anonymousreply 26312/06/2015

Thanks, R263!

by Anonymousreply 26412/06/2015

There's an Apple App called "Starwalk" that has a free version which is great for star gazing. It has a night setting in "red" (like the red light bulb used in a photo developing room), so you can take it outside and use it to orient yourself.

by Anonymousreply 26512/06/2015

loving it right now

by Anonymousreply 26612/06/2015

Astronomers make me feel stupid given that they are so good at maths. It is not that I cannot learn, but probably most teachers are horriblr at teaching maths and that's why most kids fail...

by Anonymousreply 26712/06/2015

or spelling. . . .

by Anonymousreply 26812/07/2015

Maths (British) = Math (American)

by Anonymousreply 26912/07/2015

[quote]most teachers are horrible at teaching maths

or spellings

by Anonymousreply 27012/07/2015

What are wormholes?

by Anonymousreply 27112/07/2015

A super-Earth in our solar system? Not so fast.

Astronomers quietly submitted a research paper claiming they may have found a large planet on the far fringes of our solar system.

by Anonymousreply 27212/11/2015

I am skeptical, R272, but thanks for the article.

by Anonymousreply 27312/11/2015

Like the mystery of the megastructure detected orbiting a star 1500 light years away from Earth.

by Anonymousreply 27412/11/2015

Beyond the Mysterious Beyond!

by Anonymousreply 27512/11/2015

I'm worried about what happens to these cartoon dinosaurs about 65 million years ago.

R275, how on Earth were you even aware of this song?

by Anonymousreply 27612/11/2015

As a child I was a big fan of The Land Before Time movies. I recently re-watched the original (an animation classic).

The quality of the sequels are a mixed bag but several of them are quite good. The clip was from the 7th movie.

Admit it R276, the song was catchy. ;)

by Anonymousreply 27712/11/2015

Astronomy. This is about astronomy.

by Anonymousreply 27812/11/2015

I propose that we pronounce the seventh planet as close to "your anus" as we can. There are just not enough light moments in astronomy as it is.

by Anonymousreply 27912/11/2015

That 'alien megastructure' 1,500 light-years from Earth is awfully quiet

by Anonymousreply 28012/12/2015

I'm glad we have a magnetosphere. .

by Anonymousreply 28112/12/2015

Pluto!

by Anonymousreply 28212/13/2015

Eleven galaxies far, far away and a long time ago

The light from distant galaxies takes millions of years to reach us, so when we look into the night sky we are looking into the depths of time

by Anonymousreply 28312/13/2015

Unsure as to whether or not to start a separate thread...

Britain’s first ISS astronaut set for liftoff from Kazakhstan

Tim Peake’s Principia mission to International Space Station opens UK to serious involvement in human spaceflight

by Anonymousreply 28412/14/2015

Cool, R284, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 28512/14/2015

Have Astronomers Discovered An Alien Megastructure

by Anonymousreply 28612/16/2015

Reuters / Tuesday, December 15, 2015. The Gemini Observatory projects a laser as the night sky and artificial light of the city are seen at the Cerro Las Campanas, on the outskirts of La Serena, Chile, November 13, 2011 in this handout photo provided by Gemini Observatory/AURA, December 14, 2015. REUTERS/Gemini Observatory/AURA/Manuel Paredes/Handout via Reuters

by Anonymousreply 28712/16/2015

Hubble captures first-ever predicted exploding star.

The reappearance of the supernova was calculated from different models of the galaxy cluster whose immense gravity is warping the supernova’s light.

by Anonymousreply 28812/17/2015

Enceladus is an attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 28912/18/2015

i LOVE that site!

by Anonymousreply 29012/18/2015

Back in the mid 90's my school took us to an observatory for the whole day. It was amazing seeing all those huge telsecopes and the technology they use to observe the universe. There were astronomers from different parts of the world. Well, the thing is that I asked one of the astronomers about finding life in othe parts of the universe and he gave me a skeptical smile and then said that they were not looking for life in the universe.

Now, things have changed dramatically and finding life on other planets seems to be one of the main goals for astronomers :)

by Anonymousreply 29112/19/2015

Super Earth DISCOVERED – Closest ever planet which could house intelligent life FOUND.

A SUPER-EARTH with the credentials to support alien life forms has been discovered just outside our solar system.

by Anonymousreply 29212/20/2015

WOW! Potentially Habitable New SUPER-EARTH Discovered 14 Light Years Away

by Anonymousreply 29312/21/2015

Thanks, R293! I only understood half of it because I don't speak Scottish, but what I understood I found interesting.

The planet is very close! We could telex them and get an answer within our lifetimes. Well, my lifetime, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 29412/21/2015

R294 Earth has been emitting signals for decades. If any other intelligent life form has techonology capable of deciphering our signals then they certainly know of our existence. As far as I know, we haven't been able to find signals coming from other worlds that suggest they are the product of intelligent beings...

On the other hand, I think that scientists would use other methods to find life on other planets such as light. Aparently, light can give a some data on the composition of a planet, perhaps the gases of its atmosphere and all that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 29512/21/2015

The idea of our radio and television audio signals being transmitted through space and being discovered by an alien race is actually a fallacy. It only takes a short distance - I think it's about a light-year more or less - before the signal starts to degrade and becomes nothing by noise. If it were to reach the neared possibly inhabitable regions of space, the audio signal would be unintelligible.

by Anonymousreply 29612/21/2015

Also, as I understand "broadband" transmissions, signals are sent in packets on multiple channels at the same time. A single message is all sliced and diced. I would imagine that this makes the detection of a signal very complicated, because you have to reassemble the message from multiple channels to make any sense of it. It adds a layer of complexity that another party might not be expecting; and not know how to, or care to, reassemble. .

by Anonymousreply 29712/21/2015

I love you, R295!

by Anonymousreply 29812/21/2015

Interpreting this article, there is the possibility that a civilization a few light years away from us could receive our signals. 14 light years is very close in astronomic terms.

by Anonymousreply 29912/21/2015

fascinating

by Anonymousreply 30012/21/2015

Elon Musk's company made headlines today when one of his rockets delivered numerous satellites into orbit - and then landed back on Earth in the upright position.

by Anonymousreply 30112/21/2015

very exciting

by Anonymousreply 30212/21/2015

Giant comets could pose danger to life on Earth.

The discovery of hundreds of giant comets in the outer solar system over the last two decades means that these objects pose a much greater hazard to life than asteroids.

by Anonymousreply 30312/23/2015

Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 30412/23/2015

NASA Dawn Mission Returns Closest Images of Dwarf Planet Ceres

by Anonymousreply 30512/24/2015

worth a look

by Anonymousreply 30612/24/2015

The Loneliest Galaxy In The Universe

by Anonymousreply 30712/27/2015

Astrobiology Top 10: Mystery Methane on Mars .

As 2015 comes to a close, Astrobiology Magazine is counting down our ‘Top 10’ stories from the past year. At number 5: A scientist raised questions about the latest detection of methane on Mars, suggesting that NASA’s rover could be responsible for the mysterious burp. Highly unlikely, but not impossible, said the Curiosity team. This story was originally published on May 14, 2015.

by Anonymousreply 30812/30/2015

R308, so Curiosity farted, and everyone is pretending that it's nothing. What a way to introduce ourselves to our Martian neighbors. They probably think we all stink, now.

by Anonymousreply 30912/30/2015

Shoot

by Anonymousreply 31012/30/2015

Fantastic, R307.

Also, one other fascinating what-if fact: the vast majority of stars in our galaxy have no view of the night sky due to interstellar dust. Astronomy wouldn't exist as a science if our planet was in orbit around one of those.

by Anonymousreply 31112/30/2015

This last fraction of 2015 has been very interesting as to how many fascinating news astronomy has brought to us. I still want to know what that thing that they called "megastructure" detected 1500 light years away really is.

by Anonymousreply 31212/31/2015

the stars are with us

by Anonymousreply 31312/31/2015

I want Poe Dameron to probe my Death Starfish

by Anonymousreply 31412/31/2015

Visible light from black holes detected for first time

Scientists observing V404 Cygni discovered that even amateur telescopes are capable of capturing violent outburst from black holes closest to Earth

by Anonymousreply 31501/06/2016

I was talking with my friends who is an astronomer and we talked about the so-called megastructure. He said he read the paper but things were not told as the news protrayed things. Journalists just sensasionalised the phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 31601/06/2016

Chandra finds supermassive black hole burping nearby.

Astronomers found this outburst in the supermassive black hole centered in the small galaxy NGC 5195.

by Anonymousreply 31701/07/2016

New Horizon's latest photos of Pluto: 'This part acts like a lava lamp'

The historic mission sent Nasa its highest-resolution images Thursday of dwarf planet’s Sputnik Planum, a region of pitted plains and a strange ‘X’ formation

by Anonymousreply 31801/08/2016

The case of the missing quasar.

Astronomers can’t find any sign of the black hole at the centre of the quasar SDSS J1011+5442, and they couldn’t be happier.

by Anonymousreply 31901/09/2016

wow, how cool is that!

by Anonymousreply 32001/09/2016

I saw Pluto at Disneyland Friday. I took my picture with him and told him I was rootin' for him to get his planet back.

by Anonymousreply 32101/09/2016

500 trillion Suns: Astronomers weigh extremely massive & young galaxy cluster.

Pushing the boundaries of what is known about galaxies’ formation and evolution, astronomers have weighed a rare massive young galaxy cluster using three of NASA’s observatories.

At the weight of 500 trillion Suns, the IDCS J1426.5+3508 (IDCS 1426 for short) located 10 billion light years from Earth is the most massive galaxy cluster detected at such an early age.

by Anonymousreply 32201/12/2016

R321, that was very nice of you. I'm sure Pluto appreciated that.

by Anonymousreply 32301/12/2016

Thanks, yes, very grateful

by Anonymousreply 32401/12/2016

Pluto, no offense, but we're really quite saturated with holiday mascots at this point. I think you should stick with Disney. It's more steady work, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 32501/12/2016

Pluto, I hope they pay you more than minimum wage. I know it gets hot under all that fur.

by Anonymousreply 32601/12/2016

'Assassin' supernova discovered that is 570bn times brighter than sun

Astronomers find brightest star explosion ever, located 3.8bn light-years away, which is more luminous than entire Milky Way

by Anonymousreply 32701/14/2016

Atoms and fundamental particles are fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 32801/14/2016

'Green Pea' Galaxies May Have Reheated the Universe After Cosmic Dark Age.

Swiss scientists may have found the answer to a troubling mystery about the early evolution of our universe. After the Big Bang, the universe cooled down for a billion years in a kind of cosmic dark age. But then it mysteriously reheated. Electrons and protons that had been happily joined in hydrogen atoms were ripped apart again during a period known as the “cosmic reionization.” What could have done this?

by Anonymousreply 32901/15/2016

Russian researchers plan nuking asteroids for EU defense project to avoid fate of Dinos.

How can Earth be protected from dangerous asteroids? The EU’s international NEOShield project posed this question to Russian researchers, who say, as a first line of defense, space-borne nuke warheads would do the job perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 33001/17/2016

Good, R330! I am anti-asteroid.

by Anonymousreply 33101/18/2016

Isn't god supposed to protect us from asteroids and comets?

by Anonymousreply 33201/18/2016

No, R332, God sends them when he's mad at us. Usually to the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 33301/18/2016

my Stars

by Anonymousreply 33401/18/2016

They say on TeeVee that a nuclear bomb wouldn't be helpful because it just makes many smaller radioactive missiles headed for Kansas or wherever, instead of one big one. I'm not convinced. These smaller missiles will have greater surface area, and therefore burn up in the atmosphere more effectively. I think it depends on the original size of the asteroid. They never discuss that. (I know the Russian idea is to completely move the asteroid away from a collision, but I'm thinking "big picture" here).

by Anonymousreply 33501/18/2016

Have you thought of what you'd do if such an asteroid bomb was on its way? I have, in the most simple way. It depends on its landing spot, of course. An Atlantic landing would mean I'd head inland. If it were Pacific or far away, I'd head to my family near the Atlantic coast. I bet the highways would be crowded, in any event.

by Anonymousreply 33601/18/2016

When I was walking to the subway last week, I could see Venus, Saturn and Mars. Amazing seeing half the planets of the solar system at once.

by Anonymousreply 33701/18/2016

Here are the 7 sky-watching events in 2016 you don't want to miss

by Anonymousreply 33801/19/2016

[bold]New evidence suggests a ninth planet lurking at the edge of the solar system[/bold]

Astronomers at the California Institute of Technology announced Wednesday that they have found new evidence of a giant icy planet lurking in the darkness of our solar system far beyond the orbit of Pluto. They are calling it "Planet Nine."

Their paper, published in the Astronomical Journal, describes the planet as about five to 10 times as massive as the Earth. But the authors, astronomers Michael Brown and Konstantin Batygin, have not observed the planet directly.

Instead, they have inferred its existence from the motion of recently discovered dwarf planets and other small objects in the outer solar system. Those smaller bodies have orbits that appear to be influenced by the gravity of a hidden planet – a "massive perturber." The astronomers suggest it might have been flung into deep space long ago by the gravitational force of Jupiter or Saturn.

Telescopes on at least two continents are searching for the object, which on average is 20 times farther away than the eighth planet, Neptune. If "Planet Nine" exists, it's big. Its estimated mass would make it about two to four times the diameter of the Earth, distinguishing it as the fifth-largest planet after Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. But at such extreme distances, it would reflect so little sunlight that it could evade even the most powerful telescopes.

Confirmation of its existence would reconfigure the models of the solar system. Pluto, discovered in 1930, spent three-quarters of a century as the iconic ninth planet. Then, a decade ago, Pluto received a controversial demotion, in large part because of Brown.

His observations of the outer solar system identified many small worlds there – some close to the size of Pluto –and prompted the International Astronomical Union to reconsider the definition of a planet. The IAU voted to change Pluto's classification to "dwarf planet," a decision mocked repeatedly last summer when NASA's New Horizons probe flew past Pluto and revealed a world with an atmosphere, weather and a volatile and dynamically reworked surface.

Brown, who tweets under the handle @plutokiller and who wrote the book "How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming," said now may be the time to rewrite the textbooks yet again.

"My daughter, she's still kind of mad about Pluto being demoted, even though she was barely born at that time," Brown said. "She suggested a few years ago that she'd forgive me if I found a new planet. So I guess I've been working on this for her."

rown and Batygin initially set out to prove that Planet Nine didn't exist. Their paper builds on earlier research by two other astronomers that revealed a peculiar clustering of the small, icy objects discovered in the past decade or so in the remote regions of the solar system.

In 2014, Scott Sheppard of the Washington-based Carnegie Institution of Science and Chad Trujillo of the Gemini Observatory in Hawaii published a paper in the journal Nature that discussed the potential existence of a giant planet affecting the orbits of those dwarf worlds. Sheppard and Trujillo noted a similarity in the motion of those bodies when they are closest to the sun.

(article continues @ link)

by Anonymousreply 33901/20/2016

Exciting News!

by Anonymousreply 34001/20/2016

Here

by Anonymousreply 34101/20/2016

I am curious as to whether or not Planet 9 is in the same plane with the other planets, or if it is a rogue like Pluto and does its own thing.

The Caltech guy with the necklace has those cute rosy cheeks that young guys sometimes have, God bless his Gay heart.

by Anonymousreply 34201/20/2016

Here come the Pluto-poseurs!

by Anonymousreply 34301/20/2016

Pluto's orbit is 17° out of the plane to which the other plants comport. For that alone, it should be struck from the rolls, which it was!

by Anonymousreply 34401/20/2016

[quote]The Caltech guy with the necklace has those cute rosy cheeks that young guys sometimes have, God bless his Gay heart.

he's also got a really sexy low voice

by Anonymousreply 34501/20/2016

Gravity must be infinite if objects can interact while being extremely distant from each other.

by Anonymousreply 34601/20/2016

R346, are you responding to something?

by Anonymousreply 34701/20/2016

Of coure, R347 The possibility of a ninth planet being so far away and still interacting with the sun's gravity.

by Anonymousreply 34801/20/2016

Aren't comets out that far, doing their thing?

by Anonymousreply 34901/21/2016

they are

by Anonymousreply 35001/21/2016

So, why can a comet be affected by the sun's gravity, but not planet 9?

by Anonymousreply 35101/21/2016

I think I saw that movie before…

Planet 9 from Outer Space

by Anonymousreply 35201/23/2016

Also, don't all the objects in the Oort cloud circle the sun? R346, I think you need rethink your thesis.

R352, does it end well?

by Anonymousreply 35301/24/2016

It seems that, in a way, grivity is infinite.

by Anonymousreply 35401/24/2016

Think of gravity as a giant sombrero.

by Anonymousreply 35501/24/2016

How giant, R355?

by Anonymousreply 35601/24/2016

Do I understand correctly that gravity isn't a force at all? It's the curvature of space, in 3-d (at least 3-d, but that's another matter). That is why it can "act" over long distances between objects that have no other interaction. I gather that this is the case.

If this is true, does that mean there are really no such things as "gravity waves" or particles? I think I occassionally see eggheads setting up experiments that are designed to look for gravity particles, but I don't think they exist, because gravity is just the warping of space-time, and not a force.

I'm confused about this. Can anyone explain simply and concisely? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 35701/25/2016

But how precisely does a ED object curve space-time?

You usually see the model in which a ball in put on a stretched piece of cloth held from its edges causing the curvature of the piece of cloth. That works perfectly if you think that the piece of cloth is put horizontally and gravity does the rest, however, how do you apply this to space-time? Space-time is not a horizontal piece of fabric and there isn't gravity from any side to cause the curvature when putting a planet in the middle.

How do big objects curve space-time from all directions?

by Anonymousreply 35801/25/2016

When the moon is in the Seventh House

And Jupiter aligns with Mars

Then peace will guide the planets

And love will steer the stars

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius

Age of Aquarius

Aquarius! Aquarius!

by Anonymousreply 35901/25/2016

Sorry, I meant 3D; not ED ( R358 )

by Anonymousreply 36001/25/2016

R358, good question. The 2-D "bowling ball on a trampoline" example is a good visual aid, but it's not realistic. I took 4 semesters of calculus, and we did a lot with objects on space. I've forgotten all of it now, but it was very complicated and I think that is why we get schooled in the 2-D world. But I'd like an egghead to answer anyway as I am curious about the 3-D answer also.

by Anonymousreply 36101/25/2016

How can objects curve space-time from all directions 3-dimensionally?

by Anonymousreply 36201/26/2016

R362, apparently no one knows.

by Anonymousreply 36301/26/2016

And then we have the graviton which some scientists still hold on to as a probable explanation for gravity.

by Anonymousreply 36401/27/2016

Astronomers discover largest solar system

Astronomers have discovered the largest known solar system, consisting of a large planet that takes nearly a million years to orbit its star.

by Anonymousreply 36501/27/2016

So Plat 9, aka Nibiru, is going to slam into Earth some day.

Excellent.

by Anonymousreply 36601/27/2016

^ that should've been Planet 9

by Anonymousreply 36701/27/2016

I like this thread. Thanks to the contributers!

by Anonymousreply 36801/27/2016

The supposed nitnth planet which would be a dwarf planet is believed to be really far away from Earth, much farther than Pluto is in relation to the sun.

So much sensationalism.

by Anonymousreply 36901/27/2016

R369, I thought it was much bigger than Earth, and not a dwarf at all?

by Anonymousreply 37001/27/2016

True, R370. It's theoretically closer to the size of Neptune. It would eat Pluto for breakfast and still have room for a light brunch.

by Anonymousreply 37101/27/2016

R366 = proof that Earth is an insatiable bottom

by Anonymousreply 37201/27/2016

Yes R370 But people keep speculating about a planet that is so far away as if it were their beloved Nibiru.

by Anonymousreply 37301/27/2016

Scientists discover a planet that takes 1,000,000 Earth years to circle its star.

Talk about a long distance relationship!

by Anonymousreply 37401/27/2016

R374, see R365

by Anonymousreply 37501/27/2016

Oops, sorry R375. I guess I didn't make a complete orbit of this thread. Will try to do better next time. :-)

by Anonymousreply 37601/27/2016

Haha, R376 made a nerd joke.

by Anonymousreply 37701/27/2016

Babylonians used astronomy techniques 1,500yrs ahead of Europeans.

Ancient Babylonians have just amazed astronomers everywhere, after a newly-translated tablet revealed far more advanced tools than imagined for that era – such as calculating planetary displacement arcs 1,500 years before the method’s ‘invention’.

by Anonymousreply 37801/30/2016

R378, the Sumarians get a bad rap. They were far ahead of the Urgs.

by Anonymousreply 37901/30/2016

China released images from their 2013 moon landing.

wow, gurl, wow

by Anonymousreply 38001/30/2016

me so impressed

by Anonymousreply 38101/30/2016

full article about mission

by Anonymousreply 38201/30/2016

When did the Chinese went to the moon? o.O

I didn't know they had an organization to explore space.

by Anonymousreply 38301/30/2016

*** The Martian spoiler***

If you've seen Matt Damon in The Martian, you'd know the Chinese have a super-secret rocket & space program.

by Anonymousreply 38401/30/2016

I might accept the idea that the Moon landings were faked; however, I cannot accept the idea that all the people involved with a fake Moon landing could keep it secret for all this time. That's just not plausible.

by Anonymousreply 38501/30/2016

[quote] If you've seen Matt Damon in The Martian, you'd know the Chinese have a super-secret rocket & space program.

The Martian had a plot? I was too busy looking at Matt Damon.

by Anonymousreply 38601/30/2016

Matt did look pretty good in that picture. Was that a body-double or CGI, do you think?

by Anonymousreply 38701/30/2016

[quote] Was that a body-double or CGI, do you think?

The ass-baring scene did have a butt double given that the point of it was to show how emaciated he was. If Damon's real ass had been shown, the emaciation would not have been evident.

by Anonymousreply 38801/30/2016

I didn't recall a display of ass. I did recall a scene with his torso from the front.

by Anonymousreply 38901/30/2016

R389, below is a still from the ass scene.

by Anonymousreply 39001/30/2016

R390, he looks like a dirty bird.

by Anonymousreply 39101/30/2016

30 Years After Explosion, Challenger Engineer Still Blames Himself

by Anonymousreply 39201/30/2016

This Cosmic Fart Cloud Is On a Collision Course With Our Galaxy.

The cosmos is littered with clouds of star-forming gas, but few are as well studied as the Smith Cloud, set to crash into our galaxy in 30 million years. God-fearing humans might ask: Where did this unholy dust ball come from, and why is it heading straight for us? Now, science has the answer.

by Anonymousreply 39301/30/2016

But can we talk about my astrostomy?

by Anonymousreply 39401/31/2016

No, but colostomy bag discussions are permitted. Mine stinks.

by Anonymousreply 39501/31/2016

What Happens At The Edge Of The Universe? | Space Time

by Anonymousreply 39602/03/2016

Earth is composed of TWO planets

by Anonymousreply 39702/05/2016

^I guess this explains Scienos (although, they're Theians, not Thetans)

by Anonymousreply 39802/05/2016

R397, this crash was responsible for knocking the Earth off its axis. (Normally, a planet would spin with its equator parallel with its orbital plain, and spin in the direction that it circled the Sun.) The axial tilt causes the seasons. Venus and Uranus must have experienced something similar. Venus rotates backwards, very slowly. Uranus actually rotates on its side (off by 90°).

The Earth-Moon relationship stabilizes each other's orbits. Without the Moon, the North Pole would occasionally exchange places with the equator. This would be hostile to life formation. (Mars has only two tiny Moons, not big enough to stabilize its orbit. As a result, Mars experiences this kind of wobble.). Even so, the Earth wobbles very slightly, but not enough, apparently, to over-stress living things.

The heavy metals in both the original Earth and Theia joined and mostly settled into the center of the Earth. These molten metals cause our magnetic field. This resulted in the Earth having a much larger magnetic field that one would expect for a planet its size, since it had the metal from two planets, essentially. This magnetic field deflects dangerous solar radiation. Life might never have left the water without this oversized magnetic field. Meanwhile, the Moon mostly consists of rock which is lighter than metal. My understanding is that Moon rock matches Earth rock in composition, though I thing this article disputes that.

Mercury had a mysterious event as well that ripped-off its outer shell. They don't know how this happened, but another collision seems reasonable.

Without this collision, we'd have no regular seasons; our climate would change unpredictably, severely, and frequently (like on Game of Thrones and their lament that "Winter is Coming", and their seasons lasting an unpredictable length of time.); and there would be little life on land because of the solar radiation.

by Anonymousreply 39902/05/2016

[quote] Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are aligning for the first time in over a decade, and there’s no need for telescopes or binoculars to see the event, since all five planets will look like bright stars in the morning twilight.

The article implies this spectacular event ends today so don't delay!

by Anonymousreply 40002/07/2016

Is it a scientific fact that the Earth and another planet collided and this Earth is the result of that collision? The bible says nothing about this.

by Anonymousreply 40102/08/2016

It's mentioned nowhere in Mother Goose Rhymes either, hmmm. How could Mother Goose not have known about the creation of the earth? Those scientist eggheads are off their rockers!

by Anonymousreply 40202/09/2016

Gravitational Waves and How They Distort Space.

It’s official: on February 11, 10:30 EST, there will be a big press conference about gravitational waves by the people running the gravitational wave detector LIGO. It’s a fair bet that they will announce the first direct detection of gravitational waves, predicted by Albert Einstein 100 years ago. If all goes as the scientists hope, this will be the kick-off for an era of gravitational wave astronomy: for learning about some of the most extreme and violent events in the cosmos by measuring the tiny ripples of space distortions that emanate from them.

Time to brush up on your gravitational wave knowledge, if you haven’t already done so! Here’s a visualization to help you – and we’ll go step by step to see what it means:

by Anonymousreply 40302/09/2016

Imagine gravity as a giant colon…

by Anonymousreply 40402/09/2016

R401, it's a theory only, like gravity, electricity, and oxygen. Isn't almost everything a theory?

by Anonymousreply 40502/09/2016

Many of the Mother Goose Rhymes were lost when the library of Alexandria burned about 400 A. D. It's one of the biggest tragedies in history.

by Anonymousreply 40602/09/2016

If you have a big piece of sponge in the shape of a square and you put a relatively big ball inside it will cause a ripple pushing outwards in all directions.

by Anonymousreply 40702/10/2016

Well, the ball will push the sponge arounf it outwards to make room for itself whereas the sponge will fight back trying to regain the space that the ball occupies inside the sponge. The characteristics of the ripple caused by the ball are define by the two fighting forces when finding the balance betwen the two of them.

by Anonymousreply 40802/10/2016

1.3 billion years ago two black holes collided and last September the gravitational waves arrived here.

‘We are going to see things that we never knew existed’ say scientists announcing the detection of gravitational waves...

by Anonymousreply 40902/11/2016

[bold]Breakthrough: Scientists detect gravitational waves, just as Einstein predicted 100 years ago[/bold]

In a groundbreaking discovery, scientists say they have finally detected gravitational waves — ripples in space-time from a violent collision 1.3 billion light-years away — that serve as a resounding confirmation of a prediction made by Albert Einstein a century ago.

The detection, made with the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory, known as LIGO, is the culmination of a decades-long search for signs of this elusive phenomenon.

The discovery, described in a paper in Physical Review Letters, will open a new window onto the universe, said LIGO executive director David Reitze.

“Until now we have been deaf to gravitational waves – but today we are able to hear them,” Reitze told a packed room at a press briefing in Washington D.C.

Astronomers rely on light of all wavelengths to detect the universe. Visible light reveals the starry heavens; infrared allows us to penetrate further back in time to see older, more distant stars; radio waves reveal the afterglow of the universe’s violent birth; and X-rays showcase violent encounters in the cosmos, including the supernova deaths of massive stars.

With the exception of the nascent field of neutrino astronomy, scientists have nearly always relied on their (or their telescope’s) ‘eyes’ to view the distant heavens. But now, researchers will be able to sense the universe in a whole new way: with their ‘ears.’

The telltale ripples were picked up just before 2:51 Pacific Daylight Time on Sept. 14 by the twin LIGO detectors – one in Hanford, Oregon and the other in Livingston, Louisiana – a mere three days after the detectors had gone live following a five-year upgrade. The L-shaped detectors send laser beams down each leg of the L, which have the exact same length. If a gravitational wave passes through the detector, it will squeeze one leg and stretch the other, causing the distance to change and thus creating slight differences in timing.

Gravitational waves occur as objects move through space, almost like a boat moving on lake sends ripples through the water’s surface. But they’re so tiny that until now it’s been nearly impossible to detect them, even those caused by something as large as a planet moving around the sun. (The fact that they’re imperceptible on these scales is probably a good thing – objects lose energy as they emit gravitational waves, and if a body like the Earth lost too much, it would eventually fall into the Sun.)

So to pick up this signal, scientists have to look for massive, violent events in the universe. This particular signal appears to have been caused by a collision between two black holes (20 and 36 solar masses) that occurred some 1.3 billion years ago.

During the smashup, the two black holes combined into one, and turned about three suns’ worth of mass into gravitational waves in just a fraction of a second. At its peak, the power output was about 50 times the output of all the stars in the visible universe, the researchers said.

“It has been a long journey … we are very proud of this work taking a village – a worldwide village,” Gabriela Gonzalez, LIGO’s spokesperson at Louisiana State University, said at the press briefing.

Reitze, who compared the achievement to the moment when astronomer Galileo first turned his telescope to the heavens, said this would allow scientists to begin studying the cosmos in a whole new way.

“This was truly, I think, a scientific moonshot,” he said. “I really believe that. And we did it. We landed on the moon.”

by Anonymousreply 41002/11/2016

If the universe is expanding which is observable by seeing galaxies getting away from each other how then could such small objects like planets and stars cause ripples in space-time if the force that causes the expansion of the universe is much stronger when streching out space-time?

by Anonymousreply 41102/11/2016

[quote] In a groundbreaking discovery, scientists say they have finally detected gravitational waves — ripples in space-time from a violent collision 1.3 billion light-years away ...

I thought I felt something funny.

by Anonymousreply 41202/11/2016

I felt a curious tremble in my vitreous humors.

by Anonymousreply 41302/11/2016

But what gravity really is remains a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 41402/16/2016

I felt some ripples! I did!

by Anonymousreply 41502/16/2016

Gravity helps us to fall down.

by Anonymousreply 41602/17/2016

There is no down in the universe though

by Anonymousreply 41702/17/2016

I fall down on my planet. (But in a random direction in the universe.)

by Anonymousreply 41802/17/2016

Technically, R416; your planet rises slightly at the same time as you fall down towards it, and you collide in the middle somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 41902/17/2016

First Super-Earth Atmosphere Detected.

55 Cancri-e was once touted as one of the most exotic exo-planets ever discovered. Mass and radius modelling led some astronomers to speculate that its interior could be rich in carbon. And that much carbon crushed together under extreme pressure = diamonds. That’s how it got its nickname “Diamond Planet.”

by Anonymousreply 42002/19/2016

Galaxy's missing gas found in its tail.

Scientists noticed long ago that galaxy NGC 4569 contained less gas than expected but they could not see where it had gone.

by Anonymousreply 42102/24/2016

Milky weigh? Astronomers find new method for weighing the universe

A mysterious deep space radio burst reveals where half the atoms in the universe have been hiding: in clouds between the galaxies

by Anonymousreply 42202/24/2016

Thanks, 421, 422.

by Anonymousreply 42302/24/2016

The Future of Gravitational Wave Astronomy: Pulsar Webs, Space Interferometers and Everything.

It’s the hot new field in modern astronomy. The recent announcement of the direct detection of gravitational waves by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) ushers in a new era of observational astronomy that is completely off the electromagnetic spectrum. This detection occurred on September 14th, 2015 and later earned itself the name GW150914. This occurred shortly after Advanced LIGO turned on in early September, a great sign concerning the veracity of the equipment.

by Anonymousreply 42402/27/2016

In all seriousness, this thread is making me HORNY as HELL

by Anonymousreply 42502/27/2016

Thank you for the warning, R425!

by Anonymousreply 42602/27/2016

Astronomers spot gluttonous baby stars.

Stars may not accumulate their mass steadily but in a series of violent events that manifest as sharp stellar brightening.

by Anonymousreply 42703/01/2016

Told you I was hardcore

by Anonymousreply 42803/02/2016

Searching for aliens who already know we're here.

Astronomers suggest that future searches focus on that part of the sky in which distant observers can notice the yearly transit of Earth in front of the Sun.

by Anonymousreply 42903/02/2016

Saturn near the Moon...

by Anonymousreply 43003/02/2016

Scott Kelly snaps photos of Earth and the galaxy from space – in pictures

Nasa astronaut Scott Kelly is the only American to have spent 340 days in space. In addition to his research and experimentation, he captured his unique view of the Earth

by Anonymousreply 43103/02/2016

Pluto. Never forget.

by Anonymousreply 43203/02/2016

NASA's Scott Kelly Grew 2 Inches: The Body After a Year in Space

by Anonymousreply 43303/03/2016

My Stars!

by Anonymousreply 43403/04/2016

R433, I see a future for space boarding schools for short kids with rich parents

by Anonymousreply 43503/04/2016

what do you think?

by Anonymousreply 43603/04/2016

Most distant galaxy: Hubble breaks cosmic distance record.

This is the first time that the distance of an object so far away has been measured from its spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 43703/05/2016

R437, they should name it the Zsa-Zsa Galaxy.

by Anonymousreply 43803/05/2016

Mystery feature evolves in Titan’s Ligeia Mare.

Cassini images show bright features that change over time.

by Anonymousreply 43903/06/2016

shocking

by Anonymousreply 44003/06/2016

That doesn't seem surprising, R439. It's a lake, right?

by Anonymousreply 44103/06/2016

scott kelly and mikhail kornienko and HOT SEXY DADDIES!!!

by Anonymousreply 44203/06/2016

Cosmochemists find evidence for rare element in early solar system.

This close-up picture shows a ceramic-like refractory inclusion (pink inclusion) still embedded into the meteorite in which it was found. Refractory inclusions are the oldest-known rocks in the solar system (4.5 billion years old). Analysis of the uranium isotope ratios of such inclusions demonstrates that a long-lived isotope of the radioactive element curium was present in the solar system when this inclusion was formed. Image credit: Origins Lab at the University of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 44303/07/2016

Total solar eclipse in Sumatra tomorrow. See the link.

by Anonymousreply 44403/08/2016

One day I may tell you about the Giant Rat of Sumatra.

by Anonymousreply 44503/08/2016

One day I may be interested in hearing it, R445!

by Anonymousreply 44603/08/2016

Sharpest view ever of dusty disk around aging star.

The Very Large Telescope Interferometer found disks around aging stars are similar to those around young ones.

by Anonymousreply 44703/10/2016

[quote] Sharpest view ever of dusty disk around aging star.

Is that a picture of Rosanne Barr?

by Anonymousreply 44803/11/2016

should we talk about N L-F odd tweet about trump?

by Anonymousreply 44903/12/2016

Astronomers discover billion-light-year ‘BOSS Great Wall’ galaxy structure.

The massive galaxy wall discovered by a Canary Islands-based research team is a billion light years big. It is estimated to contain at least 10,000 times the mass of our Milky Way, so it should be no surprise it’s part of a project called ‘BOSS.’

by Anonymousreply 45003/12/2016

Russian & Euro mission to Mars.

by Anonymousreply 45103/14/2016

Astronomers see black hole raging red.

A black hole called V404 Cygni underwent dramatic brightening for about two weeks as it devoured material that it had stripped off an orbiting companion star.

by Anonymousreply 45203/16/2016

Astronomers find source of most powerful cosmic rays.

Astronomers have traced the source of the most energetic cosmic radiation to the center of the Milky Way.

by Anonymousreply 45303/17/2016

I knew it was something like that, R453!

by Anonymousreply 45403/18/2016

Astronomers Discover Monstrous ‘Super Spirals’.

A team of scientists led by Dr. Patrick Ogle from the California Institute of Technology has discovered a new type of galaxy called a super spiral.

by Anonymousreply 45503/18/2016

There's nothing attractive about muscular bodies.

by Anonymousreply 45603/21/2016

A “tail” of two comets.

Two comets that will safely fly past Earth later this month may have more in common than their intriguingly similar orbits. They may be twins of a sort.

by Anonymousreply 45703/21/2016

Pluto's story keeps evolving with latest New Horizons climate data

Nasa reveal latest findings from the New Horizons mission, which indicate how Pluto’s tilt affects its climate and atmospheric pressure over time

by Anonymousreply 45803/21/2016

I saw Jupiter with the naked eye last night. Never saw it that way before. First and last time I saw Jupiter was in 1999 when I was a kid and a team of amateur astronomers visited my town and took our astronomy team to see planets during the night. Well, I was part of the team along with a friend. You had to pay to be part of it but since we were not adults our membership was free.

I still remember I saw Mars (scary to see it so close through the telescope), Saturn with its rings and some moons, and Jupiter.

by Anonymousreply 45903/22/2016

Lunar eclipse tomorrow morning, 3/23/16.

by Anonymousreply 46003/22/2016

Astronomers See Supernova Shockwave for First Time.

The shockwave generated by the explosion of an ageing giant star has been observed by an international team of astronomers.

The discovery, accepted for publishing in the Astrophysical Journal, will help scientists understand the life cycle of stars, said study co-author Brad Tucker of the Australian National University.

“This is the first time we’ve seen this in the normal visible colours, and we now know it happens,” Dr Tucker said.

by Anonymousreply 46103/23/2016

Moon's tilt changed by volcanic activity over three billion years ago

The unexpected locations of the ice patches on the moon’s surface has led scientists to believe that the moon may once have spun on a different axis

by Anonymousreply 46203/23/2016

Thanks, R462. Do you work in the field?

by Anonymousreply 46303/23/2016

R463, no I don't, I've just always been fascinated with astronomy and space.

by Anonymousreply 46403/23/2016

chain reactions

by Anonymousreply 46503/23/2016

The Plan To Get To Mars In Three Days Explained

by Anonymousreply 46603/24/2016

Solar storms trigger Jupiter’s "northern lights".

New research finds solar storms trigger the northern lights by generating a new X-ray aurora that is eight times brighter than normal and hundreds of times more energetic than Earth’s aurora borealis.

by Anonymousreply 46703/24/2016

Incredible

by Anonymousreply 46803/24/2016

NASA images show Ceres' brightest spot in spectacular detail.

But we still aren't sure how it got there.

by Anonymousreply 46903/26/2016

fascinating mystery

by Anonymousreply 47003/26/2016

beautiful star stuff

by Anonymousreply 47103/29/2016

Jupiter Just Got Hit by a Comet or Asteroid ... Again (Video)

by Anonymousreply 47203/30/2016

I don't want people bringing skanky-ass Mars microbes back to Earth. It's a one-way mission, as far as I'm concerned. I'd guess there will be others who will speak up about this when a trip starts to be planned, thank God.

I believe that there was once water on Mars and there might well have been life. Either initiated there, or carried there from Earth, but evolving independently. There's no knowing what a Mars microbe would do here on Earth, but once it's here, it would be unstoppable. It could be devastating.

by Anonymousreply 47303/30/2016

Exciting news!

by Anonymousreply 47403/30/2016

Spitzer maps climate patterns on a super-Earth.

The map reveals extreme temperature swings from one side of the planet to the other, and hints that a possible reason for this is the presence of lava flows.

by Anonymousreply 47504/01/2016

I love the stars

by Anonymousreply 47604/01/2016

I love the subject of solar evolution.

I'd love to have a three-way with a red supergiant and a brown dwarf.

by Anonymousreply 47704/01/2016

SEXAY

by Anonymousreply 47804/02/2016

Hubble captures a low surface brightness galaxy.

This striking NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope image captures the galaxy UGC 477, located just over 110 million light-years away in the constellation of Pisces (The Fish).

by Anonymousreply 47904/04/2016

Exciting

by Anonymousreply 48004/04/2016

Northern lights, blood moons and brilliant stars - in pictures

Some of the best entries so far in the 2016 Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition. There are two weeks left to enter, and the winners will be announced in September

by Anonymousreply 48104/04/2016

gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 48204/04/2016

Opportunity’s devilish view from on high.

From its perch high on a ridge, the rover recorded an image of a martian dust devil twisting through the valley below.

by Anonymousreply 48304/05/2016

Great. Now, the Cerian refugees will start coming...

by Anonymousreply 48404/05/2016

such elegance

by Anonymousreply 48504/06/2016

Early Mars bombardment likely enhanced life-supporting habitat.

A massive impact could have temporarily increased the planet’s atmospheric pressure, periodically heating Mars up enough to “re-start” a dormant water cycle.

by Anonymousreply 48604/06/2016

The article in R486 states that scientists have "long known" that there was once running water on Mars. I don't think that's really accurate. I think it's a recent understanding, maybe the last 15 years at most. Maybe the last ten years.

First, there was the idea that Martians built canals. Then that was dismissed, as was the idea that water existed there. I think that was the 1970s. Them more recently, they started to think there might be water there. I think it was only confirmed for fact in the last couple years or less.

by Anonymousreply 48704/06/2016

Supersized black hole discovery forces universal rethink

Massive galactic objects, billions of times heavier than the sun, could be more common than was thought, say scientists

by Anonymousreply 48804/06/2016

bigger and better

by Anonymousreply 48904/06/2016

So, the husband and I got a scope and I really want to show him some things that will make him go, "Wow!" As a nerd, I like it all, but what do you guys think I should put on the schedule for our night out in the country?

by Anonymousreply 49004/06/2016

cuties

by Anonymousreply 49104/06/2016

Here's a start R490

by Anonymousreply 49204/06/2016

If there were commercial tours around the Solar system I would not be able to take such a ride. I would be terrified by the huge size of moons and planets right in front of my eyes. I guess you call this paranoia...

by Anonymousreply 49304/06/2016

I'd get jet lag

by Anonymousreply 49404/07/2016

At the link, sign up to get notified then the International Space Station passes overhead. You can see it with the naked eye. It's really cool. It looks a bit like it might just be a jet flying far overhead. A better set of eyes than mine (or using a pair of binoculars) might be able to identify the solar panels.

by Anonymousreply 49504/08/2016

R490, get an app. I use "Star Walk" and I pay for the upgraded version. I suggest you get well used to the app inside your house with the lights on, before trying to use it outside in the dark.

The are periods when all the good stuff has set by nightfall, so that's no good for viewing, so check ahead. Here are some interesting things I can see with my own small telescope:

Saturn - rings!

Jupiter - I can see four sparkly moons twinkling around the planet. I can barely make out swirls on the planet surface.

Venus - the planet has phases like the moon

Mar - boring. It's reddish, that's about it

Moon - lots and lots of potholes. Look for a guy with a beard waving back.

I have not yet seen Mercury (visable only briefly at dusk and dawn because it is so close to the sun), or planets past Jupiter.

No telescope required:

The Milky Way is cool. I am a city mouse and never saw it until my 20s. You need to be away from outdoors lights.

Look for periodic meteor showers. Many are actually annual events on a set schedule.

You can even see if you can find whatever satellite happens to be buzzing by. The StarWalk app shows them.

by Anonymousreply 49604/08/2016

Hey, kiddos, check out these free online courses. If it works out for you for less than $60 you can get a certificate to put on your resume. Higgs Boson physics class in the works. Forensics, Mandarin, and lots of history courses. A course on all moons in our solar system, etc Check it out

by Anonymousreply 49704/08/2016

Rachel Maddow reported tonight that Spacex just successfully landed a space rocket upright on a barge at sea, for the first time. Elian Musk predicts he will be able to ferry US astronauts to the ISS starting next year. Since the US space shuttle was retired, the US has had to pay the Russians to take our people into space.

by Anonymousreply 49804/08/2016

incredible news!

by Anonymousreply 49904/09/2016

Alien ‘Wow!’ signal could be explained after almost 40 years

A former analyst with the US Department of Defence is on the trail of an astronomical ‘cold case’ – an unexplained signal that some believe could have come from extraterrestrials

Stuart Clark, Author of The Unknown Universe, and co-host of The Stuniverse podcast. Thursday 14 April 2016 12.59 EDT

Way back in 1977 something amazing happened (apart from the release of Star Wars obviously). Astronomer Jerry Ehman was using the Ohio State University’s Big Ear radio telescope to sweep the sky for possible signals from extraterrestrial civilisations. He found something.

While pointing towards a grouping of stars called Chi Sagittarii on 15 August, he received a powerful blast of radio waves that lasted for 72 seconds. He circled it on the readout and wrote: “Wow!”

Analysis of the signal showed that it displayed all the hallmarks of coming from interstellar space, and it became something of a cause célèbre for those involved in SETI, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

The trouble is that despite numerous attempts, the signal has never been observed again and so remains unexplained. Until now perhaps, thanks to the work of Professor Antonio Paris of St Petersburg College, Florida.

Before he was an astrophysicist at the St Petersburg College, Paris was an analyst for the US Department of Defence. “I have this investigative background, so I approached the ‘Wow!’ signal as I’m going back to the crime scene,” he told me over Skype. “It’s a cold case, so I went to various [astronomical] databases to find culprits or suspects that were at this crime scene at the time.”

He didn’t find aliens but he did find two suspicious looking comets.

Known as 266P/Christensen and 335P/Gibbs, they have never been investigated before because they were only discovered in 2006 and 2008 respectively. Paris found that they were both in the vicinity of Chi Sagittarii on the day that the ‘Wow!’ signal was detected.

This could be significant because comets are surrounded by clouds of hydrogen gas that are millions of kilometres in diameter. The ‘Wow!’ signal itself was detected by Ehman at 1420MHz, which is a radio frequency that hydrogen naturally emits. He published his idea at the beginning of this year.

But before the case can be closed, Paris must test his hypothesis and for this he needs public support.

Comet 266P/Christensen will pass the Chi Sagittarii star group again on 25 January 2017, while 335P/Gibbs will make its passage on 7 January 2018. Paris plans to observe these events to look for a recurrence of the mystery signal. But time is not on his side for using an existing radio telescope – they are all booked out.

So, he has launched a crowdfunding campaign on gofundme to raise the $13,000 he needs to buy a radio telescope to make the observation. Donations are rolling in and he is already most of the way to his target.

“I would like to [be fully funded] in May, order the stuff so that I can have it by October,” he says. This would give him time to construct the dish, test it and prepare for the January encounter.

Although some other astronomers have voiced scepticism at his hypothesis, Paris points out that even if he turns out to be wrong, it’s still good science because we are learning something about comets, and he and his colleagues have a new radio telescope that they can use for further research.

Also on the plus side; if it isn’t comets, SETI scientists still have their best candidate for an extraterrestrial signal.

by Anonymousreply 50004/14/2016

In 40 years perhaps the world will be totally islamized and contact with aliens will be called haram.

The only way out of islam the will then be aliens, our messiahs.

by Anonymousreply 50104/15/2016

Must we politicize astronomy?

by Anonymousreply 50204/15/2016

New hypervelocity binary star challenges dark matter, stellar acceleration models.

While all previous hypervelocity stars are single, PB 3877 is the first wide binary star found to travel at such a high speed.

by Anonymousreply 50304/16/2016

Astronomers Snap Incredible Image of Spider Nebula.

This infrared image from NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope and the Two Micron All Sky Survey (2MASS) shows an emission nebula known as IC 417.

by Anonymousreply 50404/19/2016

what a beauty

by Anonymousreply 50504/20/2016

Space bubbles!

by Anonymousreply 50604/22/2016

An asteroid got knocked into a cometary orbit long ago.

From asteroid belt to Oort Cloud, C/2014 S3 may be an important relic of the early solar system.

by Anonymousreply 50704/29/2016

R507, they're different, we should kill them!

by Anonymousreply 50804/30/2016

Astronomers Find a Moon Hiding Around Makemake in Hubble Data.

Once a lonely ice block, now it seems the dwarf planet may have a close-in companion.

by Anonymousreply 50904/30/2016

Secrets of Deep Space is the new Science Channel space show. The eps are two hours long and cover like 4 or 5 subjects, each maybe 20 minutes. The first one was about the Pluto flyby and they showed the incredible detail and it's not a boring white snowball, it has have oceans of freaking blood. That's what it looks like, and I checked, and it is liquid, deep-red water. The dumbass narrator never mentioned a thing about it, as if, oh it's dripping with blood wouldn't be a note of interest.

by Anonymousreply 51004/30/2016

Red water on acid-trip planet Pluto:

by Anonymousreply 51104/30/2016

Pluto is fabulous

by Anonymousreply 51204/30/2016

Three potentially habitable worlds found around nearby ultracool dwarf star.

These worlds have sizes and temperatures similar to those of Venus and Earth and are the best targets found so far for the search for life outside the solar system.

by Anonymousreply 51305/02/2016

In video.

by Anonymousreply 51405/03/2016

Solar Transit of Mercury To Occur on Monday, 05/09/2016 (only 13 or 14 of these per century!)

by Anonymousreply 51505/05/2016

'The heavens in motion': astronomers and public marvel at Mercury transit.

As the solar system’s smallest planet passes the face of the sun, thousands from across the world gather to gaze at the skies

by Anonymousreply 51605/09/2016

I thought it was darker than usual out.

by Anonymousreply 51705/09/2016

YUMMY

by Anonymousreply 51805/09/2016

More than 1,200 new planets discovered through Nasa's Kepler space telescope

More than doubling the number of confirmed planets orbiting alien stars, astronomers said that the discovery is a step toward finding Earth-like planets

by Anonymousreply 51905/10/2016

exoplanets are the new black

by Anonymousreply 52005/10/2016

NASA’s Kepler mission announces largest collection of exoplanets ever discovered

by Anonymousreply 52105/11/2016

2007 OR10: Largest unnamed world in the solar system.

Astronomers combined data from two space observatories to reveal something surprising: This dwarf planet is significantly larger than previously thought.

by Anonymousreply 52205/12/2016

Scientists find “birthmarks” from Earth’s infancy.

The surviving parts of Earth’s primitive mantle have been preserved for four and a half billion years.

by Anonymousreply 52305/15/2016

NASA just detected oxygen in the Martian atmosphere.

Amazing!

by Anonymousreply 52405/20/2016

NSFW!

by Anonymousreply 52505/20/2016

Astronomers confirm faintest early-universe galaxy ever seen.

Discovery could help explain how 'cosmic dark ages' ended.

Scientists have detected and confirmed the faintest early-universe galaxy ever, using the W. M. Keck Observatory on the summit on Mauna Kea in Hawaii. The team detected the galaxy as it was 13 billion years ago.

by Anonymousreply 52605/24/2016

Traveling with the speed of light thru the solar system

by Anonymousreply 52705/25/2016

WOW< fascinating

by Anonymousreply 52805/26/2016

Mars has been one frigid bitch!

by Anonymousreply 52905/27/2016

what a nutty planet!

by Anonymousreply 53005/28/2016

Astronomy student discovers four new planets.

Michelle Kunimoto's bachelor degree in physics and astronomy sent her on a journey out of this world—and led to the discovery of four new worlds beyond our solar system.

by Anonymousreply 53105/31/2016

Mars is the wacky planet. Don't be fooled, it's not Pluto.

by Anonymousreply 53205/31/2016

Hubble finds universe is expanding faster than expected.

Astronomers have obtained the most precise measurement yet of how fast the universe is expanding at the present time, and it doesn’t agree with predictions based on other data and our current understanding of the physics of the cosmos.

by Anonymousreply 53306/02/2016

Look out! She's going to blow!

by Anonymousreply 53406/04/2016

Hubble spots heavy, ancient, metal-filled stars pulsing away.

The “heavy-metal stars” are nearly 10.5 billion years old

by Anonymousreply 53506/06/2016

Scientists get first look at supermassive black hole 'eating' gas clouds

The observation, made accidentally by astronomers in Chile, provides the first direct evidence for the theory that black holes feed on clouds of gas

by Anonymousreply 53606/08/2016

Astronomers witness a supermassive black hole feeding on cold gas clouds.

1 billion light years away, a hungry galactic center got a whiff of cold gas "rain."

by Anonymousreply 53706/10/2016

Milky Way no longer visible to one third of humanity, light pollution atlas shows

Scientists describe ‘cultural loss of unprecedented magnitude’ as global atlas reveals extent of light pollution in the world’s skies

by Anonymousreply 53806/10/2016

I didn't really know what the Milky Way was until I was 40. Never saw it. It was too faint.

by Anonymousreply 53906/10/2016

Jupiter is the best planet in the Solar System!

by Anonymousreply 54006/11/2016

No, Saturn is the best planet!

by Anonymousreply 54106/11/2016

No you're both wrong. Uranus is the best planet!

by Anonymousreply 54206/11/2016

I know this song is about secret male et male liaisons and being covered in cum but it's also appropriate for this thread:

by Anonymousreply 54306/11/2016

New Jupiter-like planet is largest yet discovered orbiting two stars

Spotted using data from the Kepler space telescope, the gas giant, dubbed Kepler-1647b, has one of the longest orbits recorded for a transiting planet

by Anonymousreply 54406/13/2016

Size Queens rejoyce!

by Anonymousreply 54506/14/2016

'Twisty' Molecule Essential to Life Spotted in Deep Space For 1st Time

By Sarah Lewin, Staff Writer | June 14, 2016 03:01pm ET

by Anonymousreply 54606/14/2016

Let's hope there aren't muslims aor christians on other planets.

by Anonymousreply 54706/14/2016

No hateful people. Even DLers.

by Anonymousreply 54806/15/2016

I like this thread, R542.

I like Uranus, not for its name, you pigs, but that it rotates sideways. That indidates something interesting went on. I think it got smacked by another planet early on, like earth and maybe like Mercury.

by Anonymousreply 54906/15/2016

Gravitational Wave Detector Finds Double Colliding Black Holes — Again (Woot!)

by Anonymousreply 55006/15/2016

Earth probably has more than one moon a lot of the time

Our planet only has one permanent natural satellite, the Moon. But it often picks up other orbiting rocks

by Anonymousreply 55106/16/2016

the Hussy!

by Anonymousreply 55206/16/2016

I though that gravity was simply the observation of objects moving through warped spacetime caused by objects with mass. In other words, it doesn't actually exist as a force at all, it just appears to be a force. In which case, there shouldn't be any thing like a gravatational wave or particle. Am I wrong about this?

by Anonymousreply 55306/16/2016

Earth has captured a second moon, says NASA

by Anonymousreply 55406/18/2016

Shameless Hussy

by Anonymousreply 55506/18/2016

Asteroid 2016 HO3 is Earth’s Quasi-Satellite, NASA Astronomers Say.

According to astronomers at NASA’s Center for Near-Earth Object (NEO) Studies, a near-Earth asteroid designated 2016 HO3 is currently following a stable quasi-satellite orbit with respect to our planet. This episode started almost a century ago and it will end hundreds of years from now.

by Anonymousreply 55606/18/2016

Qatar exoplanet project announces the discovery of three new exoplanets.

The three new hot Jupiters are the first discovered by Qatar since 2011.

by Anonymousreply 55706/24/2016

Would you like to buy a "u", OP?

by Anonymousreply 55806/24/2016

This thread has survived for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 55906/24/2016

billions and billons. . . .

by Anonymousreply 56006/24/2016

Pulsars

by Anonymousreply 56106/25/2016

Scientists begin modelling universe with Einstein’s full theory of general relativity.

In a simulation of the universe without commonly made simplifications, galaxy profiles float atop a grid representing the spacetime background shaped by the distribution of matter. Regions of blue colour contain more matter, which generates a deeper gravitational potential. Regions devoid of matter, darker in colour, have a shallower potential. Illustration credit: James Mertens.

by Anonymousreply 56206/26/2016

Wow, incredible

by Anonymousreply 56306/26/2016

Why ultra-powerful radio bursts are the most perplexing mystery in astronomy.

Strange signals are bombarding Earth. But where are they coming from?

by Anonymousreply 56406/29/2016

I'm sorry, R564, I left my short wave radio on by mistake!

When I was a kid, I had this suped-up radio that allowed me in New England to get radio signals from as far as Key West, Florida. It wasn't a short wave radio, but something else. It was as big as a breadbox, and used vacuum tubes that had to warm up before it worked. I seem to recall getting signals from Australia, too, but maybe that's a fantasy. That was in the 70s, before air travel was deregulated and affordable for the average Joe. If you were going to Florida, you'd drive, usually. So, these long distant signals were like they were coming from another world. Maybe they were!

by Anonymousreply 56506/29/2016

Strange ripples found on Mars.

A never before seen type of wind ripple has been found on the Red Planet.

Mars, which is known to be a dusty and sandy world, has a newly discovered type of wind-blown sand ripple never before seen in the solar system.

by Anonymousreply 56607/01/2016

Strange nipples found on Mars.

by Anonymousreply 56707/01/2016

Luminous beauty of Jupiter's auroras revealed by Hubble telescope

Huge non-stop lightshow dwarfs the Earth’s transient polar displays, say Nasa scientists, as they carry out project to observe effects of solars winds

by Anonymousreply 56807/02/2016

so lovely

by Anonymousreply 56907/02/2016

Someone has seen our signals and is responding. By trying to wipe us out.

by Anonymousreply 57007/02/2016

or not

by Anonymousreply 57107/03/2016

Hubble views a stubborn dwarf galaxy.

Dwarf galaxies are small, faint collections of stars and gas. Their diverse properties make them intriguing objects to astronomers, but their small size means that we can only explore those that lie closest to us, within the Local Group, such as LEDA 677373 shown above.

by Anonymousreply 57207/04/2016

Black Hole Comparison.

A bit scary to be honest, but still fun and educational.

by Anonymousreply 57307/05/2016

JUNO is a rock star

by Anonymousreply 57407/05/2016

I heard we got to Jupiter.

by Anonymousreply 57507/05/2016

I love how the topography in the Europa imagery is redolent of some kind of ancient civilization that has eroded through the ages.

by Anonymousreply 57607/05/2016

Planet with three suns spotted by astronomers

Giant gas ball four times the mass of Jupiter is in a three-star system. It swings around one, but sees sunrises and sunsets from all three. Take that Tatooine

by Anonymousreply 57707/08/2016

I work with a giant gas ball.

by Anonymousreply 57807/08/2016

Now they are thinking that all of Earth's water came after the Earth had formed by comets and asteroids colliding with the earth. It seems a little hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 57907/09/2016

space ice cubes

by Anonymousreply 58007/09/2016

Last night, I was watching a documentary about Asteroids on DCh and, while it is true that there is the risk of being hit by an asteroid in the future I then thought, right now the most dangerous threat we are facing is religion, islam in first place and the the rest of Abrahamic religions. These are more lethal than asteroids today and more capable of wiping life off the face of the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 58107/10/2016

Also, R581, we are overdue for a freak virus for which we have no antibodies, like the 1917 pneumonia pandemic. Or a widespread war, we're due. Perhaps civic unrest. There's certainly good reason for that.

by Anonymousreply 58207/10/2016

We are threatened by viruses all the time. I'm just more sensitive to religous hatred and bigotry which seems to be on the rise these days and is becoming a true menace again in human history,.

by Anonymousreply 58307/11/2016

Astronomers discover distant dwarf planet beyond Neptune

Currently designated 2015 RR245, the giant ball of ice and rock lies nine billion kilometres away in the the most distant reaches of the solar system

by Anonymousreply 58407/11/2016

An objeCt half the size of Britain sounds kind of too smalL to be considered a dwarf planet... 4584

by Anonymousreply 58507/11/2016

Astronomers find a freak Frankenstein galaxy made of parts of other galaxies.

The unassuming galaxy turns out to have a lot of parts taken from galaxies that came before.

by Anonymousreply 58607/12/2016

NASA captures the Moon crossing the face of the Earth, for the second time.

For the second time in a year, a NASA camera has documented the moon traversing across the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 58707/14/2016

Planck Length: Smallest Thing in the Universe - Microscopic Universe

by Anonymousreply 58807/15/2016

Newly discovered distant solar system objects resonate with Neptune

by Anonymousreply 58907/22/2016

What Is the Biggest Thing in the Universe?

by Anonymousreply 59007/26/2016

Largest ever map of the universe points to mysterious ‘dark energy’

The largest ever 3D map of the universe strengthens astronomers’ belief that three quarters of the cosmos is made of an unknown substance: ‘dark energy’

by Anonymousreply 59107/26/2016

What is Dark Matter and Dark Energy?

by Anonymousreply 59207/27/2016

Unexplained Mysteries of the Universe

by Anonymousreply 59307/30/2016

We're almost full! Yay!

Please continue to fill me with loads of knowledge, at the link.

by Anonymousreply 59407/30/2016

At least you would ahve filled this thread with the missing posts to finish it.

by Anonymousreply 59507/31/2016

Scientists now believe it likely that life once existed on Mars. Then why-oh-why is anyone considering traveling to there [italic] and [/italic] coming back?

I'm fine with them going, but I don't want them coming back and messing up our beautiful blue marble with trashy Martian viruses and bacteria.

I hate Martians.

by Anonymousreply 59601/28/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!