Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Alien 5

20th Century Fox has closed a deal with director Neill Blomkamp to develop a new “Alien” movie, sources confirm.

The untitled sci-fi project is separate from “Prometheus 2,” which Fox is still making with Ridley Scott.

by Anonymousreply 15312/06/2017

Honesty, what's the point? Can't we come up with something new?

by Anonymousreply 102/20/2015

Oh heavens. Some people don't know when to quit. H.R. Giger is dead, Ridley Scott has gone nuts, Sigourney ruined everything with Alien 3, and Prometheus was an incongruous disappointment. Pull the plug and walk away, already.

by Anonymousreply 202/20/2015

I do get a good laugh out of thinking of someone pitching this and the entire room getting all excited about it as if they've created something new and wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 302/20/2015

I see an an opening.

by Anonymousreply 402/20/2015

Any credibility or cachet that the original "Alien" had was instantly ended with Aliens" and the canon-altering choices made in that film. Nothing coming after that point could undo that damage.

by Anonymousreply 502/20/2015

I already responded in the original thread, from yesterday, I think...

by Anonymousreply 602/20/2015

I disagree. Alien and Aliens both stand on their own as good films, they're just different and reflect different times even though they aren't that far apart. I liked Prometheus too.

by Anonymousreply 702/20/2015

I'm one of the nerds that went in on the Prometheus thread to express my disappointment.

But I couldn't be more thrilled about the possibility of the actual Alien saga having a continuation. But of course that universe holds far less interest if Ellen Ripley is not part of the story.

As much as I feel dismissing Alien 3 and Resurrection as hypersleep dreams is a cop out, it feels like something along those lines could be excused if a great new film is delivered. I know many fans would be more than happy to wipe the existence of both of those films from their memory.

by Anonymousreply 802/20/2015

Judging from the pre-production art, it looks like the Alien bodies will be hulled out and used by humans as some sort of bio-armor.

Looks very promising.

by Anonymousreply 902/20/2015

Alien and Aliens were both very good sci-fi movies. I loved them both. But everything after that has been shit. Alien 3 was ridiculously lame. Alien Resurrection was even worse. Prometheus was a mess. All the Alien vs. Predator movies don't add much, although if you just enjoy them as diverting sci-fi flicks they're OK. But I agree with R1. Can't they come up with anything new?

by Anonymousreply 1002/20/2015

Nope. All entries in a franchise - any story franchise - must be cohesive and must respect and sustain the credibility of the source material. Altering the origin, motivation and even appearance of the title character to "reflect different times" is bullshit and establishes a path that leads to crap like sequels 3 & 4, and, ultimately, Prometheus. You have to view each movie through the lens the original creators intended, otherwise, what's the point? They aren't stand alone entries, they are meant to build on, and reinforce, the original concept and intention of the source material, and every sequel has managed, via the ego and hubris of each new director, to accomplish the opposite of that.

No wonder badly conceived sequels to this or any film continue to make money when people don't actually care about what they see.

Alien 5? Sure. Bring it on. It'll be total shit and people will flock to it because it will "reflect our time". Because everybody knows that what a futuristic movie requires to help suspend disbelief is a reflection of our very contemporary, very earthbound times and attitudes.

by Anonymousreply 1102/20/2015

I think I'm the only person who actually liked Alien Resurrection. It wasn't in the same league as the first two films, which were brilliant, but I thought it was a good story and enjoyable. I know, flame away!

I agree about Alien 3. It had two or three decent scenes, but overall it was lackluster. And the less said about that POS Prometheus the better.

If Sigourney isn't coming back for the next Alien, I can't say I'll be all that interested.

by Anonymousreply 1202/20/2015

Oh, political allegory about South Africa in a scifi candy coated shell. How original! Who will the creepy District 9/A Team guy, Sharty Copley play?

Maybe they'll be cutting-edge and cast John Boyega?

by Anonymousreply 1302/20/2015

I'd love to see a scarred up Hicks in Alien 5. I was so pissed when they killed him and Bishop. Newt, not so much

I wonder if Michael Biehn will reprise his role. Is he still good looking?

by Anonymousreply 1402/20/2015

I'm mostly worried about the director Neill Blomkamp. I just don't like the tone of his films although obviously there's only been two. District 9 was sort of ok but it didn't really make me feel that much. There's no denying that the film had character, though. Elysium on the other hand lacked character almost completely. It was lame and plasticky. Blomkamp loves his special FX. Based on a trailer I don't like the feel of Chappy at all.

Alien is the greatest movie in the saga and to me Prometheus is next in line. Then Predator 2, Aliens, Predator, Alien 3, Alien vs. Predator, Predators, Alien 4, and then the remaining cheapo films. I list them in the order that I enjoy watching them but the order changes sometimes.

I know Predator 2 as a movie might not be as slick as Alien 3 but I just love watching it time to time. For some reason I enjoy the feel of AvP a lot but at the same time knowing it's more on the B-film level brings it down. Then again being more simple it stays more pure. Alien 4 had some nice things in it but ultimately they tried to be too art-y with it, and I have a feeling Blomkamp's film will be close to that in tone.

I'm much more excited about Prometheus 2. I loved the feeling of coldness of life in our universe the first one had. I know many people hate the film with passion but even acknowledging all the film's faults I just can not NOT love it.

by Anonymousreply 1502/20/2015

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm excited. I love Blomkamp's stuff and I think he's a good fit for the Weyland-Yutani universe.

by Anonymousreply 1602/20/2015

Ellen who, OP? Ellen Degeneres?

by Anonymousreply 1702/20/2015

I treat the films in the Alien franchise after "Alien3"(including the risible "Prometheus") much as I do the lottery season and final episode of "Roseanne"....they don't exist.

And I know a lot of people hate Alien 3 and I'm not a huge fan of it either...but it does have a uncompromising,remote atmospehre to it and Ripley's suicide,I think,provides a suitably desolate conclusion to the story and was very much in keeping with the spirit of the first movie. If only it had ended there.

by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2015

It would be really nice to have a story that stayed true to the universe created by the first 2 films... and also be filled with characters whose actions makes sense.

No Damon Lindelof caliber scribes, please!!!

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2015

The Wired assessment of the pros and cons to Blomkamp being handed the reins.

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2015

Neil Blomkamp is a shit director that somehow has convinced people he can make a good film. District 9 was fucking garbage and the first instance of proof that going beyond five nominees for Best Picture would bring laughable results.

And looking back over 2009, what a joke year. Besides District 9, The Blind Side, Up in the Air, Julie & Julia, The Last Station, The Lovely Bones, Invictus, The Messenger, Nine, Crazy Heart, all up for one (in most cases more) major award each.

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2015

I highly recommend watching the first three Alien installments as one long, interminable movie. Substitute the extended version of Aliens for the theatrical version, and sub the 1992 Assembly Cut (aka Working Version, Special Edition) of Alien 3 in plave of the theatrical release.

DO NOT include the theatrical release of Alien 3.

If you have the technology, make intelligent edits between films so you're not distracted by credits.

It's a completely ridiculous, yet thoroughly enjoyable and compellingly thrilling, monumental space opera.

You will also think more highly of Alien 3 afterward.

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2015

They need to find someone as hot as Michael Biehns was in "Aliens."

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2015

Why do people hate Alien 3 so much? I thought the premise of an isolated prison was a welcome change from the whole space-marine bug hunt of Aliens. Which they could've easily re-hashed if they wanted to. And the English actors were really convincing as well. Aliens is my favorite so far in the franchise. But I really enjoy Alien 3 and will watch it when it's on television.

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2015

Joss Whedon fucked up Alien 4/Resurrection with his usual self-regarding dialogue, imo.

I hope they can fix this series. I hope Sigourney has a voice. They won't get another chance.

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2015

If they use Sigourney, there'll be an epic whineout on i09/GammaSquad/SocialJusticeWarriorTumblrspace about "another white person?whhhhyyyyyyy??????"

Just like the shitfit they're having over the possibility that the new Spider-Man might not be Donald Glover, and might be another detested White guy.

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2015

How could they get pissed about Sigourney playing the same role she's played in 4 movies already?

by Anonymousreply 2702/20/2015

I'm excited too R16. I love the Alien franchise. Hopefully Sigourney will be back. She has recently said she would never do another one but I guess we'll see...

Bring on Aliens 5!

by Anonymousreply 2802/20/2015

[quote]You will also think more highly of Alien 3 afterward.

Alien 3 is not a bad film at all. It's very stylish and technically very well made. BUT it has a weak story for an Alien film. When I'm watching it I always think it would be a great film if the monster was something else than the xenomorph, and the film wouldn't have anything to do with the Alien-saga.

Then again it IS an Alien film and the preceding Aliens wasn't all that either. Aliens did have a tight and nasty atmosphere, though, but I've always thought it's way too technical and lacks the human element. James Cameron has always had trouble making his characters feel really alive.

by Anonymousreply 2902/21/2015

Well, you can't leave easy money on the table. I just re-watched District 9 the other day... and it's just not as good as I remember. The trailer for Chappie looks "not promising." I'm going to finally watch Elysium tonight, but with it's reviews... I'm not optimistic. Blomkamp may have a very, very, very limited range. Moreover, I'm one of the few people who doesn't like Aliens and I really wish they never started the whole series and had left it alone with Alien as a one-and-done. Of all the films in the series, it's a work of genius and a true classic.

by Anonymousreply 3002/21/2015

[quote]Just like the shitfit they're having over the possibility that the new Spider-Man might not be Donald Glover, and might be another detested White guy.

You actually think that they're going to make a $100 million tentpole franchise film for worldwide release with a leading man who is not a cute white guy?

Hahahahahaha!!

by Anonymousreply 3102/21/2015

The best description I've read of the first two Alien films is that Alien was like visiting a haunted house and Aliens was like a roller coaster. The two films had different atmospheres that both worked.

The subsequent films just lacked that certain atmosphere. Alien 3 ruined the franchise for me. After all that rooting for Ripley, she winds up with an xenomorph queen inside her? It just didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 3202/21/2015

They need a new Predator film. It's the only film creature that has ever frightened me.

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2015

Alien 3 is the darkest and most existential of the original films. It forms a perfect bookend to the trilogy. Ripley is confronted with the nothingness of the human condition. There is no meaning, no redemption, no happy ending - only death. She has lost her family, friends, colleagues - even her physical identity has been subsumed by the alien (i.e. she become a simple carrier for the parasite). In this moralistic void, however, she still acts heroicly, shows empathy and kindness to others (murderers and rapists, no less) and makes the ultimate self sacrifice. For this reason, I find Alien 3 to be the most philosophically haunting of the series.

by Anonymousreply 3402/21/2015

"Alien: Resurrection" was really bad, so bad that I thought that was the reason the franchise ended. Winona Ryder in an action picture? Ripley as a clone? It SUCKED.

by Anonymousreply 3502/21/2015

Resurrection was very cartoonish and immature compared to its predecessors. It effectively killed the series.

by Anonymousreply 3602/21/2015

I think Blomkamp is a hack, so I don't have much hope for a really good Alien5. And, frankly, because of Alien3 and Alien4 being such cinematic abortions, Alien5 has to knock it out of the ballpark - it could easily be the last one with Sigourney.

by Anonymousreply 3702/21/2015

So is it just wishful thinking that Sigourney joins Alien 5? Or is it confirmed that she's interested? I assumed that Alien 5 will be a partial reboot of the series with a new actress playing the heroine. Kinda like the Indiana Jones series.

by Anonymousreply 3802/21/2015

They should clone Newt. I'm sure they have blood samples from Aliens. Anyway, let her be the new heroine of the next however many Alien movies. But which actress would be a good fit to play an adult Newt?

by Anonymousreply 3902/21/2015

Why don't they just hire the same actress who played Newt? Honestly.

by Anonymousreply 4002/21/2015

[quote]Why don't they just hire the same actress who played Newt? Honestly.

Because Aliens was the only movie she ever played in?

by Anonymousreply 4102/21/2015

Okay, why in the world would Ellen be in this? To dance with the Alien? So random. Why do we have to gay up everything?

by Anonymousreply 4202/21/2015

Ellen Ripley.

by Anonymousreply 4302/21/2015

No, just no. Ellen and Ripley would NOT make a good couple even though Sigourney Weaver is really butch.

by Anonymousreply 4402/22/2015

My guess is that Ripley will have a smallish appearance in the form of an advisor. Sadly, I don't see the studio letting a sixty something Sigourney to lead an action film. I hope I am wrong though, and we see Ripley back in the nightmare, fighting her demons.

by Anonymousreply 4502/22/2015

It will be garbage.

by Anonymousreply 4602/22/2015

Sigourney is definitely in !!

Blomkamp says they will make this movie as if Alien 3 and Resurrection never existed. And the story will do the essential - carry on Ripley's saga.

I'm OK with that.

by Anonymousreply 4702/26/2015

[quote]Blomkamp says they will make this movie as if Alien 3 and Resurrection never existed.

That's too bad. Alien 3 is good enough. Ripley died. They have really insulted this character.

by Anonymousreply 4802/26/2015

R34, that's how I've always felt about Alien3. You put it into words. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 4902/26/2015

At the time of Alien 3 I thought I remember reading that Sigourney insisted that Ripley die as part of the story.

Didn't she want to be done with series then?

by Anonymousreply 5002/26/2015

I liked Alien 3. Alien Resurrection was okay except for Winona, her acting is horrid.

by Anonymousreply 5102/26/2015

Weaver and Blomkamp... conspiring.

by Anonymousreply 5202/27/2015

Is Michael Biehn going to be Hicks? Is he still hot? I would like him to be in it. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 5302/27/2015

Fantastic news to hear that Sigourney is in and the story will carry on Ripley's saga. Can't wait. Thanks R47!

by Anonymousreply 5402/27/2015

Ellen Burstyn is too old to fight the alien.

by Anonymousreply 5502/27/2015

Short interview clips of Sigourney and Neill actually speaking about making the new movie.

She says that she likes that the idea for a story came about 'organically' from Blomkamp working on his own - as opposed to a story being created because the studio was demanding a sequel be made and then bringing in a hired gun.

That sounds similar to when she insisted that Ripley die in Alien 3 because she respected that character too much to have her as part of any possible terrible stories that Fox wanted in the future.

So I wonder why she agreed to do Resurrection? Was that one just for a paycheck?

by Anonymousreply 5602/28/2015

Weaver was on Kelly & Michael this morning. I recorded it only to see if they asked her anything about the rumors about a new Alien movie.

They didn't bring it up at all. Curses!

by Anonymousreply 5703/03/2015

[quote]So I wonder why she agreed to do Resurrection? Was that one just for a paycheck?

She liked the script.

Count me among the few that liked Alien 3 and Alien 4 just fine.

The four Alien movies are awesome, each in their own way... primarily because each movie is such a different style (even genre).

by Anonymousreply 5803/03/2015

New concept art from Blomkamp which seems to indicate that the story will involve Ripley and Hicks alive and awake together after the events of Aliens.

by Anonymousreply 5907/17/2015

Makes sense R59, since 3 & 4 were weakest entries in the series. They can set the story between events of 2 & 3. Other franchises have done the same thing (completely ignore entire stories/movies)

by Anonymousreply 6007/17/2015

I'm so disappointed to know that they are trying to bring Prometheus 2 even closer in line with the Alien franchise.

Replacing "Prometheus" with "Alien" in the title for the sequel? I am one that was so disappointed with absurdity of Prometheus that I want those film series to remain entirely separate entities. I'm OK with there being a Prometheus 2, but for me it no longer needs to connect as a prequel to the original Alien film since it feels like they sullied the connection by making a poor (debatably) first film.

by Anonymousreply 6109/26/2015

Will Susan Weaver be in it?

by Anonymousreply 6209/26/2015

Time maybe to get a bit worried. Or excited. Deadline is reporting/assuming that Neil Blomkamp is out of the whole Alien franchise and the film he was supposed to direct has been morphed into Prometheus 2 Ridley Scott will direct. Obviously the name, Alien: Paradise Lost, is sort of a big hint.

I wouldn't mind Scott directing a new Alien film at all but personally I loved Prometheus and wanted to see Shaw's and David's journey into the world of Engineers. That might still happen, especially since Scott was talking about the 'dark side of the moon' where xenomorphs are manufactured, but Deadline's article make it sound like xenomorphs might be the main focus. I've never been too wild about Blomkamp but I wanted to see his take on Alien while Ridley would've continued on his Prometheus path.

by Anonymousreply 6310/30/2015

Someone needs to pull the plug on Ridley.

by Anonymousreply 6410/30/2015

Ridley Scott just pissed off every nerd on the planet. No one wants another Prometheus movie. The first one was bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 6510/30/2015

R65, plenty of people want another Prometheus movie.

by Anonymousreply 6610/30/2015

Helen Reddy's Worst Nightmare Ever Pt. 2, the public demands it!

by Anonymousreply 6710/30/2015

Neill Blomkamp made a tweet, and Screenrant's interpretation is, that Blomkamp is still on board, bust has to wait until after Prometheus 2 is released.

More at URL.

by Anonymousreply 6810/31/2015

Dang.

[quote]_But_ has to wait ...

by Anonymousreply 6910/31/2015

I hope Michael Biehn is correct about this- that the Alien 5 movie will still happen eventually.

The character of Newt as a child was annoying - as children can be in movies. But the idea of that little girl growing up to be a bad ass Ripley-type character is appealing.

by Anonymousreply 7012/28/2015

I am way more excited for "Prometheus 2" than a continuation of the Ripley/Alien story. The story of "Prometheus" -- the creation of mankind -- is far more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7112/28/2015

I was intrigued by some elements of Prometheus but its lapses in storytelling logic are really inexcusable.

I'll see the sequel but it holds nowhere near as much interest for me as the possibility that the Alien franchise just might get back on track from the decades-long shitification detour it's taken.

by Anonymousreply 7212/28/2015

There is no more Prometheus 2...it's now called Alien: Convenant. Ridley has essentially stated he wants to take back "ownership" of the Alien franchise. The first of three new Alien films by Ridley, with all the original Alien lifeforms back in action...the ones he thought were too stale for Prometheus. Blomkamp can kiss 5 goodbye...

by Anonymousreply 7312/28/2015

Let him go endlessly back to the well, no one complains when George A. Romero does it. I just hope he has some smidgen of talent left.

by Anonymousreply 7412/28/2015

See preceding thread.!So is Aliens a classic?

by Anonymousreply 7512/29/2015

Actually R74 some people have complained about Romero and the last few Dead films, although I found the last couple watchable. Ridley has had decades to take another wack. Three other filmmakers have put their stamp on the series in the meantime. I had qualms about Blomkamp continuing the franchise, but felt he deserved a shot, at least with some script supervision. It'll take Ridley 6-9 years to do his trilogy of prequels. It definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

by Anonymousreply 7612/29/2015

I'm not sure why Ridley is doing this with Prometheus. It's genesis was as an alien movie, then he brought Damon Lindelof to edit the script and take the alien out. At the time of its release and up until recently he said the sequel would branch off into a new direction and become astory more focused on the engineers and moving away from The alien creature. Then Neil Blomkamp excited the Alien fanbase with the news of an Alien 5 starring Sigorney Weaver and Michael Biehn, with the promise of retconning Alien 3 and Resurrection. Almost out of jealousy, in short order, Ridley decided to completely reverse course, take the Alien franchise back, make Prometheus 2: Paradise Lost into Alien: Covenant. What happens to the fan dream slash almost reality of Alien 5 is anyone's gues. But why is Ridley sabotaging his own fanbase?

by Anonymousreply 7712/29/2015

According to Sigourney, Blomkamp's Alien 5 is still going to happen. It wasn't totally killed by the Prometheus sequel, but only delayed. She says it will happen once Alien: Covenant is complete next year.

She is also quoted as saying that Ripley will be in every scene of the new movie, which strikes me as very tongue-in-cheek. So I hope she isn't kidding about the whole thing.

There is also some speculation (from other sources, not Weaver) that one of the characters in Covenant will be Ripley's mother. As a real fan of the Alien movies, I'm not sure how I feel about making that connection in the Prometheus storyline.

by Anonymousreply 7806/11/2016

Hmm...Ripley's mother in Covenant? I don't know how I feel -- Ripley's appeal was that she was all alone fighting these aliens.

by Anonymousreply 7906/11/2016

Will Newt be doing her high-pitched scream in Alien 5?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! - Newt

by Anonymousreply 8006/11/2016

Am i the only one who thought the first Aliens vs Predator wasn't too bad?

by Anonymousreply 8106/11/2016

I'm not sure what Alien 5 would add in terms of theme or commentary after the previous four films. The original had some nice feminist/Marxist subtext, and Aliens was a great send-up of Reaganite militarism (Lets blow everything up! Nuke 'em good!). Alien 3 really exposed the existential core of the storyline and Resurrection - which I have grown to like more over the years - is an interesting postmodern tragi-comic take on the series. So, where does that leave a fifth instalment? There are some interesting possibilities in terms of an older Ripley challenging ageist notions of heroism, femininity, etc but I can't imagine scut rent studio or this particular director going there.

by Anonymousreply 8206/11/2016

*a current studio or this particular director

by Anonymousreply 8306/11/2016

Alien 5 would be far better if it were about the alien crash landing on earth and consuming a pack of parasitic, out of touch, creativity-free filmmakers and studio heads ruining a couple of treasured movies from the past because they're too spoiled and enabled to bother attempting an original, interesting film (and don't suggest "The Martian" as an exception, because that was a big old turd).

by Anonymousreply 8406/11/2016

I would love that R84. The Aliens kill Bradley Cooper, Leonardo Dicaprio, Nick Jonas, Channimg Tatum, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lawrence and that heavy-set female comedian.

Excellent premise.

by Anonymousreply 8506/11/2016

Watch Alien, Aliens (Special; Edition) and Aliens 3 (Assembly Cut/Working Print) as one continuos movie. It's an amazing, Wagnerian space opera and Aliens 3 makes perfect sense as the end to the beginning and middle.

by Anonymousreply 8606/11/2016

I've done that R86. You're right. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 8706/11/2016

Predator is a corporate tie-in and IMHO has nothing to do with the Alien franchise.

To me, they are still in descending order from the original, though Aliens was an entirely different thrill ride and close in my mind to the original and overall quality.

I was really happy with the idea of Prometheus explaining where the aliens came from and effectively possibly conquering the obnoxious Engineers but then moving on. But if they come back I don't mind, and wonder if the Covenant is an effective pact where the Aliens are used to take down the Engineers and figure out why they want to destroy their "offspring".

by Anonymousreply 8806/11/2016

Alien vs Predator is the reason why Cameron and Scott didn't team up for a third Alien. 20th Century Fox insulted both and the franchise with that film.

by Anonymousreply 8906/11/2016
by Anonymousreply 9006/11/2016

Alien vs Predator was one of those horrible video game tie ins from the early 00s in the vein of Doom, Resident Evil, etc that signalled the creative collapse of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 9106/11/2016
by Anonymousreply 9206/11/2016

Hey r8 if you are still around can you explain some of the main ways Aliens departed from the canon that ruined things so much for you? I like to know.

by Anonymousreply 9306/11/2016

In the first film, The Company was a computer. In the second, it was a bunch of tobacco-addicted New York Jews. In the third movie, The Company was Asian, and in the fourth, there was no more Company.

by Anonymousreply 9406/11/2016

The Company reflects the economic anxieties of the times when the different instalments were made: Automation (70s), Wall Street raiders (80s), globalization (90s) and post capitalism (00s). I think that's a rather interesting aspect of the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 9506/11/2016

I love Sigourney Weaver so much. Please make Alien 5 while she's still around and able to film it!

by Anonymousreply 9606/11/2016

I think Alien 5 will happen. I don't know about that Neil Bloomkamp his movies tend to stink.

by Anonymousreply 9706/11/2016

Sigourney is still talking about this Blomkamp film happening, and the divergence from the story told in Alien 3.

Maybe this panel at Comic-Con is when we will get something definitive announced. Can't wait for it.

by Anonymousreply 9807/07/2016

Are you going R98?

by Anonymousreply 9907/07/2016

Fingers crossed!

by Anonymousreply 10007/07/2016

Cool!

by Anonymousreply 10107/07/2016

Yes, please!!

by Anonymousreply 10207/07/2016

I'm so excited, can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 10307/07/2016

They should either make a brilliantly-paced art movie or make Aliens Vs. Terminator. No middle ground.

by Anonymousreply 10407/07/2016

[quote]Hillary is probably one of the most trust-worthy politicians out there, other than Obama. She is CERTAINLY more honest and trustworthy and competent and capable than ANY Republican politician out there

Yeah, as trustworthy as a Bear trying to shit on a toilet. Man, you are so delusional.

by Anonymousreply 10507/08/2016

Alien vs Terminator would be cool, but done well. Like Terminator 1.

by Anonymousreply 10607/08/2016

Sorry, the stupid thread jumped to another thread.

by Anonymousreply 10707/08/2016

The Aliens 30th Anniversary panel at Comic Con will be Saturday afternoon (3:15 - 4:15 PM local time).

But for the fans who cannot be in Hall H that day, YouTube will be offering a live stream Q & A with the cast on it's new mobile platform. That is in addition to the Comic Con panel which will likely also be available online (one way or another) later that same day.

Either way, hopefully they will entertain at least one question about the possibility of the Blomkamp sequel happening.

by Anonymousreply 10807/21/2016

I was exciting until I saw it'll be from the director of Elysium and Chappie. Couldn't they have picked someone with class?

by Anonymousreply 10907/21/2016

I'm nervous about him too.

by Anonymousreply 11007/21/2016

Why would the terminators or Skynet hate the Aliens?

by Anonymousreply 11107/21/2016

We would learn...maybe it has something to do with The Company. But, the "vs." thing I'm not a fan of.

by Anonymousreply 11207/21/2016

The proposed alien 5 with the chappie director was cancelled in favour of ridley Scott taking back the directors chair in the alien franchise especially after the huge success of the Martian compared to the other director who was coming off of two expensive flops.

by Anonymousreply 11307/21/2016

What Sigourney said when asked about it at the Comic con panel is that the script is completed. And that both she and Blomkamp are committed to other projects right now, but that when they both are available, they plan to move forward with a fifth movie.

That's all she said - nothing about Hicks or Newt being part of the new story. And those actors were not asked anything about the possibility.

by Anonymousreply 11407/28/2016

Attached is a YouTube of the full Aliens 30th anniversary panel.

If you jump to the 35:15 mark you will see the only question regarding the Blomkamp movie.

by Anonymousreply 11507/29/2016

Michael Biehn was just interviewed in conjunction with the Aliens 30th anniversary. He also expresses confidence that Blomkamp's movie will be made, and that he will be in it.

[quote] ST: He’s working on an Alien-related project so what about that?

[quote] MB: Well, she’s doing the movie, Chappie, and he pitches her an idea for another movie in the Alien franchise, which I thought was dead and gone as she probably did too as well as Fox. He tweeted out some pictures of me, he said he’s going take the third and fourth film and act like they never happened and things blew up. It looked like it was all go and then Ridley Scott decided that he was going to do a second and third film in the Prometheus series, but Sigourney says they are still doing their project. I think it would be very embarrassing to Fox if they don’t give Sigourney the movie that she really wants to go out on. I don’t know when it’s going to happen but I know it’s going to happen and I know I’m going to be in it and there’s going to be a new Newt, she’s going to be about 26 or 27 and looks a lot like Jennifer Lawrence to me but I don’t know. Maybe there’ll be a passing of whatever and then the franchise can move on so they can make more money because that’s what it’s all about.

Since Ridley Scott announced his revamped plans for his Prometheus sequels, it is only actors that have been commenting publicly on the future of the Alien future. I suppose Weaver will also be a producer of the possible film so I put more stock in her word than Biehn's.

by Anonymousreply 11608/01/2016

Michael Fassbender revealed in a recent interview that Ridley Scott has already finished cutting Alien: Covenant. How annoying that it won't come out until August 4, 2017. I personally wouldn't mind Scott spending rest of his career making Prometheus sequels. One a year, thank you.

Fassy also gave a slight spoiler about the film:

"I am allowed to say I am playing two robots – Walter and David. I think what’s great about it is that Ridley has gone back to the original DNA of Alien, the horror element of that. But is also has the scope and the scale of Prometheus. Ridley has cut it already. He is a machine. He is an incredible human being and he was in such good form. He is such an imaginative and mischievous figure."

by Anonymousreply 11711/01/2016

Blomkamp feel that chances are now SLIM that his movie ever happens???

by Anonymousreply 11802/28/2017

I get the feeling that Ridley Scott really doesn't like the possibility of Blomkamp rewriting the saga with an Alien 5. Now he says that the project never got very far, even though that contradicts what Sigourney has previously said. Probably because he put his foot down. Could he have been bothered by the fan excitement that possibility generated, which overshadowed his (at the time) Prometheus 2?

by Anonymousreply 11904/29/2017

Bummed , was psyched to see Ripley again

by Anonymousreply 12004/29/2017

Wait — isn't ALIEN: COVENANT the same as PROMETHEUS 2?

Coming out on May 12.

by Anonymousreply 12104/29/2017

Ridley Scott ruined this franchise with PROMETHEUS.

I love many of his films, but Ridley Scott honestly doesn't have a literary bone in his body. He can't tell the difference between a good script and a bad script — he's a brilliant visualist who just lucks out when Hollywood puts a good script into his hands.

Ridley Scott never wrote the original ALIEN script and the idea to use H.R. Giger's designs never came from Scott — it was producer David Giler's idea.

Scott is a boring storyteller left to his own devices or some of the hack screenwriters he has employed over the years. He wasn't ever the genius behind the franchise and he's totally out-of-touch with what audiences need and like (PROMETHEUS, ROBIN HOOD).

Fuck him, I'll take Blomkamp over Scott ANY DAY.

by Anonymousreply 12204/29/2017

I'm looking forward to Alien Covenant, but Ridley basically screwed over Neil Blomkamp, Sigourney Weaver, and Michael Biehn by not letting the fanboy and retconned Alien 5 go first. Now who knows if it will ever happen.

by Anonymousreply 12304/29/2017

Yes r121, they are the same. Last year though when Scott put his foot down and said he wanted the Blomkamp project to hold off until he got his 2nd film in the current series done, it was still being referred to as Prometheus 2.

by Anonymousreply 12404/30/2017

R30, Cameron's Aliens is the best of the series.

by Anonymousreply 12504/30/2017

Aliens is great, but nothing beats Alien in my book.

by Anonymousreply 12604/30/2017

Sadness.

by Anonymousreply 12705/01/2017

r30, you're not missing much without ELYSIUM or CHAPPIE.

But you're missing a brain and taste buds if you don't like James Cameron's ALIENS!

by Anonymousreply 12805/01/2017

I really hate Ridley Scott.

He's turned into George Lucas — a guy with no understanding of what the fans liked about the original movies who makes boring, indulgent crap now.

Contrast them with George Miller, who can reboot his own franchise with originality, reinvention and an IMPROVED product (MAD MAX).

by Anonymousreply 12905/01/2017

[Quote] Aliens is great, but nothing beats Alien in my book.

I like them both for different reasons. But i've seen Aliens more than Alien.

by Anonymousreply 13005/01/2017

I guess I'm the only one around here who actually liked Prometheus, but that's probably because I'm a huge Noomi Rapace fanboy. It's sad they replaced her with pug-faced spawn of Sam Waterston in the sequel (which looks kind of dull and pointless, judging from the trailer).

by Anonymousreply 13105/02/2017

Confirmation from Blomkamp himself that his idea for a 5th Alien movie has been killed. But out of respect for Ridley Scott he won't come right out and say that Scott demanded that shit be shut down.

I guess I don't understand why Ridley Scott is so much in control of this series rather than 20th Century Fox. I wonder if that remains the case even as it becomes apparent that Covenant isn't as much of a success as the studio had to have hoped.

by Anonymousreply 13206/04/2017

Prometheus was interesting but Covenant was horrible. I wish Blomkamp's movie had been made instead. What could have been!

by Anonymousreply 13306/04/2017

Covenant was a mess. I think it's disappointing box office killed the franchise for good. Sad. I love what I read about Blomkamp's vision.

by Anonymousreply 13406/11/2017

I bet the studio is kicking itself now.

by Anonymousreply 13506/11/2017

Whoa, Neil is hot. What was his version of Alien 5? Ellen is alive? How?

by Anonymousreply 13606/11/2017

What could have been!

by Anonymousreply 13706/11/2017

Another person to counter Ridley Scott claiming that there never was a script.

I'm so disappointed with what he has been empowered to do to this mythology. Let someone else have their chance!

by Anonymousreply 13806/11/2017

I don't know why but the lead's face annoyed the shit out of me. Or maybe it was her haircut? Either way this movie was a waste of time. Why did they make the characters so stupid??!

by Anonymousreply 13906/12/2017

Covenant is the third-best Alien movie of all time and much better than Scott's PROMETHEUS.

But I really hate how Scott reduced the aliens to a lab experiment from mythical "gods" and an earthling android.

The wonder, adventure and evolution of alien worlds was reduced to religious mythology and familiar, human terms instead of the frightening, epic possibilities of science and nature.

At least Covenant had an exciting, competent plot.

r139 needs to share his feelings in our Alien: Covenant review thread:

by Anonymousreply 14006/12/2017

Feels like Ridley Scott is desperate to regain or hold the interest in a certain core group of Alien fans. Fans like me that have been uninspired by what he's done since being given control over the series.

by Anonymousreply 14107/10/2017

I had no desire to see the latest Alien. Scott has directed too many bad films and this one seemed like a sequel to Promwhatever a film I hated with a passion.

by Anonymousreply 14207/11/2017

R141 I think Ridley should let someone else have a shot at the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 14307/11/2017

"Alien" and "Aliens" should have been the end of it. But as long as something keep making money they keep making sequels, each one more crummy than the last. I detest endless sequels of a should have long been retired franchise.

I heard there's supposed to be another sequel in the "Toy Story" franchise. The third one was supposed to be the finale, but greedy film executives no doubt want to keep the money train going. I heard it's supposed to be a "love story." What are they going to do, have Buzz Lightyear and Jessie get married? I truly hope this "love story" doesn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 14407/11/2017

[Quote] I heard there's supposed to be another sequel in the "Toy Story" franchise. The third one was supposed to be the finale, but greedy film executives no doubt want to keep the money train going. I heard it's supposed to be a "love story." What are they going to do, have Buzz Lightyear and Jessie get married? I truly hope this "love story" doesn't happen.

Why am i not surprised....

by Anonymousreply 14507/11/2017

Kinda agree with this assessment.

by Anonymousreply 14607/17/2017

With CGI magic they can make Weaver look the same age as the last one she was in.

by Anonymousreply 14707/17/2017

Thanks, r146.

That means you agree with everything I already wrote @ r140, because the Forbes article just repeats what I said.

But Di Placido at Forbes is wrong to claim:

[quote]It appears that Scott snatched his franchise back, and pushed it down a path of mediocrity. Which is fair enough, he created it, after all.

Ridley Scott DID NOT create the majority of ALIEN. He doesn't write ANY of his movies, nor does Scott have a literary knack. That's why half of his films suck.

ALIEN was written by Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett. The xenomorph and set designs were conceived by the horrific visualist H.R. Giger, who previously worked with O'Bannon on Jodorowsky's version of DUNE in the '70s.

It was O'Bannon and Shusett who had the great story and script idea. It was Giger who had the visual inspiration. It was O'Bannon who first suggested using Giger on ALIEN and Fox producer David Giler who approved everything.

Ridley Scott was just the photographer, honestly. Scott was a fan of certain comics that provided the inspiration for the Nostromo design. But apart from that , Scott was just a photographer told to copy the futuristic realism of Star Wars.

It's outrageous that fans or Fox would have any executive deference for Ridley Scott, especially since half of Scott's films SUCK DOG TURDS.

If Ridley Scott ever demands anything, it's time to swat his nose with a rolled-up newspaper and rub his face in ROBIN HOOD for 3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 14807/18/2017

Fox at a crossroads after the disappointing performance of Covenant. How will they choose to proceed?

by Anonymousreply 14907/23/2017

Ellen Ripley. Try it. If it fails, this generation is only into comic shit.

by Anonymousreply 15007/23/2017

[quote] Yes but only if Ellen is in it

Well she do her famous "Phone Call from God" routine with the Queen Alien? Will she dance in the aisles with the drone aliens?

by Anonymousreply 15107/23/2017

The trouble with the "Alien" franchise is that it really shouldn't be a franchise. Once you've seen what the aliens can do, that's pretty much it. The first one was a great Gothic thriller set in a spaceship, and was so successful it demanded a sequel: the sequel surprised everyone by being terrific (mostly because it did not repeated the formula and was this time an army flick). But that's as far as it should have gone. Every sequel since then has just been the same thing as the first one, only vastly not as good.

The aliens are not like characters you care to see again. They're just giant scary penis-like bugs. You can't extend their characters or bring them in new directions.

by Anonymousreply 15207/23/2017

I disagree.

Talented authors can make 1,000 excellent shows out of a simple premise and we WANT to see the same things happen in sequels to a sensational extent.

David Giler, the original producer for ALIEN, had a brilliant idea for a sequel: exploring the homeward of the aliens for the first time -- assuming they evolved naturally among toxic elements and unheard-of environmental dangers.

Ridley Scott destroyed that possibility and all the mind-blowing otherness that made the aliens and outer space so scary. He reduced the aliens to a human lab experiment gone wrong with the help of a human android invention. The infinite possibilities and unpredictable dangers became familiar and banal. Explicable.

So I wish I could watch David Giler's Alien Homeworld movie.

That said, COVENANT was better than PROMETHEUS. At least it had an intriguing plot and more action. Some great imagery, too. I wouldn't mind watching more Ridley Scott aliens, but they don't have the potential to be awesome.

by Anonymousreply 15312/06/2017
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!