Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Medical Question

I've been scheduled for a Colonoscopy. The paper work says someone should be there to take me home. None of my friends is available. After the procedure, if I tell the nurse no can pick me up, any problem walking out the door?

by Anonymousreply 57October 9, 2020 11:17 AM

Just call an Uber...

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2015 6:14 PM

They will let you take a cab but not drive OP. You are still going to be under sedation. I have heard stories of folks not remembering how they got home even when someone drove them.

Do not attempt to drive. You could kill yourself or someone else.

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2015 6:15 PM

I recently had this problem.

Ask the doc's office for their requirements: in my case, I needed a non-emergency medical transport home, because I got outpatient surgery (polyp removal.)

The Doc's office gave me a list of qualified providers. I arranged the transport, which was about $25. Your insurance may cover part or all of it.

Complications can occur after the procedure, so a medical transport isn't a bad idea. As it turned out I was a bit loopy, and my ride helped get me in door OK.

Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2015 6:23 PM

In my experience, Medical transport is cheaper than a cab, and safer.

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2015 6:28 PM

The place I went allows patients to use medical transport if necessary but a taxi or uber is not an option because those drivers are not responsible for ensuring you make it inside your house safely.

Call the facility and ask them what their specific policy is. Many places provise transportation & the cost is covered by insurance. Only thing with that is that you need to book in advance.

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2015 6:30 PM

The drug they'll use to sedate you (probably Demerol, I think) is the issue. It'll not only make you feel loopy and drowsy for hours after the procedure, but it will seriously impair your judgment. If you get someone to drive you home and sleep or rest for the remainder of the day, you'll be fine. But if you're going around after unsupervised, it could be similar to being drunk, (i.e. unnecessary risk-taking, poor impulse control, impaired decision-making ability, impaired memory, etc.)

I had to spend the whole day with my partner after his procedure. He's an attorney and he wanted to immediately get on his laptop and start working at home. Once I got him to sleep he was fine.

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2015 6:51 PM

Protocol states that prior to the procedure a member of the team will ask who is with you.

If no one is with you they will not perform the procedure.

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2015 7:13 PM

OK I live alone in a building with 100 other flats. What would they do watch me go to the door then wander around aimlessly till I found my flat?

What would stop me from going right back out of the flat?

Sound like typical Obamacare, needing to stay for the night in a hospital and not allowed to.

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2015 7:51 PM

R8

You are an idiot. It has zip to do with Obama Care.

People haven't been kept overnight for a colonoscopy for 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2015 7:57 PM

But they could if they needed it. Obamacare has made it impossible.

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2015 9:23 PM

Bullshit, r10. My first two colonoscopies, both pre-Obamacare, were done in an outpatient surgical center. There was no question of staying overnight there; it was in an office building. My most recent colonoscopy was post-Obamacare. It was done in a hospital - because I had developed some risk factors since my previous colonoscopy - should it become necessary to admit me. Obamacare has zip to do with your doctor's decision in that regard, and you are a credulous, ignorant fool to even suggest that it does.

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2015 9:32 PM

The drug they use to put you to sleep is the Michael Jackson drug, Prophonal (sp?)

by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2015 9:36 PM

I had one in December. They asked me for my ride contact info and said they'd call him when I was in recovery. He came to the reception area to meet me and they walked me out to him. I had propofyl and felt fine afterwards. I wouldn't have driven but certainly didn't need anyone to mind me.

by Anonymousreply 13February 19, 2015 9:37 PM

I just signed a release stating I would take a taxi home, then took the subway.

by Anonymousreply 14February 19, 2015 9:40 PM

I felt fine afterwards as well, OP. But before they did the procedure, they made me sign a paper that said I would be picked up by XXX person or they wouldn't do the colonoscopy.

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2015 9:41 PM

It's Propofol, R12, and quite safe when administered by an anesthesiologist with proper monitoring. Which Michael Jackson's flaky cardiologist wasn't doing.

R10, insurance companies won't pay for an admission unless it's medically indicated, not as a matter of convenience re: your ride home, same as before ACA ('Obamacare').

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2015 9:42 PM

Do not take the meds, you don't need them , the procedure does not hurt and you can walk out right after. I've had 3 of them and never taken the meds.

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2015 9:43 PM

You've gotta be kidding, R17. Many docs won't perform them without a general these days. The reason is that patient discomfort, especially if you have polyps removed, can be considerable.

That discomfort, according to the doc who performed mine, limits the time he can get a look and properly handle the polyp(s).

Furthermore, my doc requires a medical transport whether you have anesthetic...or not.

by Anonymousreply 18February 19, 2015 9:51 PM

R17

You are truly an idiot.

Propofol is fantastic; Demerol or Fentanyl or Versed is not the way to go.

You MUST take the meds to insure that it is painless and a cinch.

by Anonymousreply 19February 19, 2015 10:22 PM

Tacos things will get better

Oh yes they will

Since Chico took a pill

Even though it's funny he don't understand duchy

Ya ya ya ya YAAAAA

by Anonymousreply 20February 19, 2015 10:25 PM

They should really stop this nonsense. These are very short-acting anaesthetics. Just keep the person for an hour and a half or two hours after they awake and let them go the fuck home already.

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2015 10:33 PM

OP

You said all your friends were busy that say.

Just reschedule for a different day they're free. That's a no brainer.

R21

That won't work. They do these things all day long with various doctors. There's not enough space to keep someone in recovery that long. Those beds need to be in constant rotation.

by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2015 10:57 PM

A friend told me his doctor let him watch the procedure. Another said the doctor wouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2015 10:43 AM

You absolutely won't be able to drive yourself home. I was given some state of the art "sleep fast, wake up fast, no hangover" sedation, and I still managed to misjudge my surroundings once home, and broke a glass top table.

by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2015 10:53 AM

Did you ever make it?

by Anonymousreply 25July 17, 2019 8:11 PM

Had one recently and when I woke up the buzz was gone soon after. I had a ride but could have easily driven but they won't hear of it.

by Anonymousreply 26July 17, 2019 8:23 PM

If you were given any narcotics or benzodiazepines, don’t drive for 24 hours even if you feel fine. You can get a DUI if you get pulled over or get in an accident, even if it’s not your fault... these drugs will show up on blood testing. If you just had Propofol, that is metabolized quickly and won’t be detectable.

by Anonymousreply 27July 17, 2019 8:27 PM

When I made the appointment was asked who would pick me up. Gave them a friend's name and number, knowing he wouldn't be available. When the procedure was over waited a half-hour, felt well. Walked out. Took subway home.

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2019 8:36 PM

I was in a daze when I "came to." I did have a ride, but I think if I had just sat in the lobby for 30 minutes, I would have been good to take public transportation or walk.

The other thing I remember is that I was starving, ravenous, because of fasting. So, maybe bring a snack to eat right after you have the colonoscopy.

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2019 8:42 PM

I used to take my dad for his colonoscopy and they put him to sleep and he was fine afterward and we'd go to a local diner for breakfast and then shopping. He didn't seem in anyway loopy or still sedated and he was in his 70s and early 80s when we did this.

BTW, I once made the mistake of staying in the room with while they did the procedure and I thought I was going to pass out. Even though my dad had no memory of what went on it seemed like the doctor was torturing him. My dad was gagging and moaning and shaking and it was horrible. The doctor said I turned white as a sheet and he would never allow another family member or friend to ever stay in the room again, lol. The entire thing took less than 10 minutes though.

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2019 1:21 AM

You can always hire a rentboy to pick you up.

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2019 2:26 AM

Colonoscopy is how the government spreads AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2019 3:32 AM

It can be done without sedation. I’ve done it without sedation and had no discomfort. What was uncomfortable was the prep for the procedure.

by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2019 3:48 AM

Surely a consummate bottom would not need to be sedated to have a colonoscopy??

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2019 3:00 PM

That depends whether you've taken a penis long enough to round the bend in your sigmoid colon and head across towards your appendix, R34.

R33 must have a remarkable pain threshhold. Are you by any chance a professional surrogate mother?

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2019 3:10 PM

An office supervisor told the staff "Do you know why I'd rather be a colonoscopy doctor than work here? Because he only has to deal with one ass hole at a time."

by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2019 10:19 PM

I had one last week. My ride dropped me off and went shopping. The admissions dept. would not let me get the procedure unless they saw him. He returned and they did the procedure. I've had three previous ones, but for this one, I had very little sedation. As a bottom, I am used to having things in my ass, but I felt the whole thing; it didn't hurt. After it was over, I went to the recovery room, but was pretty much awake. I got dressed and left with my driver, walking the three blocks to the car. The policy is that a driver must be present. No cabs or Uber.

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2019 12:02 AM

Propofol and Versed are used for colonoscopies. Unless you have serious medical issues, you will not be kept overnight in a hospital. It is a simple and brief outpatient procedure.

You can call a local health aide company and pay to have an aid accompany you and take you home in a taxi.

After my colonoscopy my boyfriend drove me to a local bistro and I had a glass of wine and some polenta.

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2019 1:13 AM

r33 Are you sure you didn't have a sigmoidoscopy? They don't do sedation for those. My HMO would only do sigmoidoscopies in lieu of colonoscopies until you turned 55 (unless you had a family history of colon cancer.)

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2019 2:13 AM

R39, it was a colonoscopy. I was awake, watched the view on the screen, and asked the doctor questions. How often can you get a glimpse up your own ass?

It’s really only in the US where patients are out for it.

by Anonymousreply 40July 20, 2019 1:12 AM

Not at all true, R40. In the UK and Australia they use sedation which allows you to obey instructions to change position on the table, but generally you won't remember anything from its administration to waking up. It is not a general anaesthetic but it feels like one in terms of what you remember.

by Anonymousreply 41July 21, 2019 1:28 PM

No way would I allow someone to crawl up my ass with a microscope without drugs. Not only discomfort but to relieve you of any embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 42July 21, 2019 1:42 PM

R10, what is different with Obamacare?

Just like before if you want to stay overnight you can, but you have to pay for it.

Obamacare raised the standards for minimum care and made insurance cover a lot of things, but not this.

This remains the same as pre-Obamacare. Insurance won't cover an overnight stay for a colonoscopy.

by Anonymousreply 43July 21, 2019 2:12 PM

I am quite frugal; however, when it comes to tips and hobos, I remind myself that giving a dollar or two isn’t going to change my life any, so I try to be generous.

Of course, I have my limits as to who I tip, but that’s for an entirely different thread.

by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2019 5:24 PM

Oops, sorry, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 45July 21, 2019 5:25 PM

For fucks sake, you idiots on this thread: in the US you do not get general anesthesia for a routine colonoscopy. You are given Propofol and Versed. Short acting agents. No one stays a night in a hospital after a routine colonoscopy unless you suffered a mishap during the procedure, such as an accidental perforation, that may lead to sepsis and death.

by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2019 1:40 AM

I had a bone marrow biopsy last year and don't have any friends and my one relative was away. The hospital insisted I have someone pick me up and I couldn't do Uber per their restrictions. A former coworker picked me up and we went to lunch. I felt fine when I came out of anesthesia, but later that day and the next day I didn't remember anything for about 2 hours or more after I got picked up so maybe it is a good idea to find at least someone to help you.

by Anonymousreply 47July 25, 2019 1:47 AM

So it's not necessary. If it was they'd pay for it or allow you to take a cab. Like the flu shot, if it was really a big deal, they'd give it away free or allow your insurance to pay for it.

I have never had any insurance pay for a flu shot, unless it's in a doctor's office which means you shell out for the visit.

by Anonymousreply 48July 25, 2019 12:24 PM

My insurance has always paid for the flu shot.

by Anonymousreply 49July 25, 2019 1:12 PM

[quote] Like the flu shot, if it was really a big deal, they'd give it away free or allow your insurance to pay for it.

Every single insurance everywhere will pay for the flu shot if it's administered in a doctor's office. It's free because it's preventative.

To avoid paying for an office visit, I have in years past just called the doctor's office, explained that I wanted a flu shot and got on the nurses' schedule to get one.

by Anonymousreply 50July 25, 2019 1:17 PM

When I got mine done the nurse made me call someone and had to speak to them to verify that they were coming to pick me up or else i wasn't allowed to have the procedure done. Just have one of your friends lie to the nirse for you if that happens.

by Anonymousreply 51July 25, 2019 4:36 PM

Total BS you are an adult and can leave any way you choose. Just take an Uber. If they try to stop you call the FBI and alert them to the kidnapping.

by Anonymousreply 52July 25, 2019 5:22 PM

The required person to pick you up is total bullshit - but insurance has scared the shit out of all these places they REFUSE to do it unless someone is there. Who in NYC can just take 1/2 day off to walk me 5 feet to the door? I can barely schedule time for my own colonoscopy - working in corporate America doesn’t allow people to just take time off even for your own heath. It pisses me off and I really would like a law to overturn this. It’s really unfair to certain people. I ended up having to pay someone over $100 from a “service” to take me 5 feet to Uber. Bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 53July 25, 2019 5:42 PM

The place where I had mine done required your ride to stay in the office the whole time. They couldn’t leave until the procedure was over.

by Anonymousreply 54July 25, 2019 8:05 PM

r54

as it should be

by Anonymousreply 55October 9, 2020 10:32 AM

They will cancel the surgery if you do not have someone to take you home.

by Anonymousreply 56October 9, 2020 11:15 AM

DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL DIE RETARDED BUMP TROLL DIE TROLL

by Anonymousreply 57October 9, 2020 11:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!