Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm watching The Story of Jim Jones:Guyana Tragedy!!!

It stars Irene Cara, Veronica Cartwright, Meg Foster, Diana Scarwid and BRENDA VACCARO!!!!!

This should be the official DL TV movie!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2016 1:08 AM

Hear Powers Booth is terrifying in this.

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2014 2:26 AM

I LOVE Powers Booth; always have. He's great in "Tombstone," too.

I was shown this movie at my Catholic school as a warning against cults...

by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2014 2:28 AM

Yes, Powers is a sex bomb. Intense.

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2014 2:33 AM

Powers Booth became Jim Jones in that film. Another movie on cults, also based on a true story, is "Ticket to Heaven."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2014 2:38 AM

It is pretty interesting so far. Jones' father was in the Ku Klux Klan and the little Jim finds comfort in religion.

Interesting to see how this unfolds psychologically. I know the story of what Jones did but never really heard why.

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2014 2:45 AM

I remember the first time I saw this. Powers Booth was so impressive in this I was sure he was going to be a huge star. I wonder what happened.

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2014 2:52 AM

Jesus Christ, they also showed us that fucking movie @R4's link.

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2014 2:53 AM

Diana Scarwid just entered!!! She's a hippie check who wears her dark glasses low on her nose!!!

by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2014 4:24 AM

Keep an eye on Scarwid's boyfriend, OP. ;-)

Parts of it are campy but it's ultimately really disturbing. Boothe gives a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2014 4:27 AM

WHAT CHANNEL?

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2014 4:36 AM

On dvd.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2014 4:41 AM

Wow there was almost a gay kiss. I didn't know they allowed that in the seventies.

Scarwid was very sweet and subtle (surprised.)

Intermission !!!!

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2014 4:54 AM

I read that the expression "drinking the Cool Aid" is now considered an offensive description. It wounds the survivors of the cult!

The expression supposedly mocks the victims of the cult and some people find that offensive.

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2014 4:58 AM

But was it even Kool-aid?

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2014 5:06 AM

I've seen it two or three times. I always try to figure out how I could have escaped (if I'd been there) when he's rounding them up to drink the cool aid. When he is sitting there rambling on to the people at the end, its really creepy.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2014 5:06 AM

You couldn't, R15. The gunmen were watching to make sure everyone drank.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2014 5:08 AM

R13, and it wasn't even Kool-Aid that the victims drank. It was grape Flavor Aid.

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2014 5:08 AM

Here is that bizarre article about why the Kool-Aid expression is offensive!

"The phrase ‘drank the Kool-Aid’ is completely offensive. We should stop saying it immediately."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2014 5:27 AM

People will never stop using it. It has officially entered the lexicon.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2014 5:30 AM

This isn't the movie with Colleen Dewhurst as the kindly older lady next door who poisons little Jim's mind with religion?

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2014 5:35 AM

it is r20

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2014 5:54 AM

Finally! Irene Cara enters as Levar Burton's fiancee!

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2014 6:30 AM

I bought this on VHS tape about 8 years ago. I saw it years ago and thought it was fascinating. Powers Booths was so good. I love the scenes where he gets in bed with Brad Dourif, who he's helping to detox from drugs. Later Brad 's character becomes his lover and PB plays it very seriously. I remember my eyes bugging out at their almost kiss - it was pretty shocking for the times.

The scenes where J.Jones is telling his flock to drink the poison are chilling. Watching families line up and feed their children the koolaid... what's worse are the men under him who pick up guns to kill the folks who resist. Then the bloated bodies ::shiver::

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2014 8:16 AM

[quote]ater Brad 's character becomes his lover and PB plays it very seriously. I remember my eyes bugging out at their almost kiss - it was pretty shocking for the times.

plus he makes Diana Scarwid watch.

Anyone know if the supporting characters in the film were real or fictionalized?

Scarwid, Douriff, Brenda Vaccaro, Madge Sinclair. So Levar Burton got away? They don't really follow up with a scroll or anything saying how many got away etc. (I guess I'll have to look that up.)

The end was very chilling and shocking.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2014 8:25 AM

This was a CBS miniseries which aired over several nights- it was either 6-8 broadcast hours. I was a little disappointed that the videotape I bought was only about 4 hours of this epic (it wasn't available on DVD back when I got interested in seeing this again). I can only wonder what was deleted.

Guess I'll check if the DVD has more content than my tapes.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2014 8:38 AM

OP Is your DVD edition good quality? I just checked Amazon and 99% of the reviews there say the DVD looks like a bad bootleg with poor quality video and "is missing the last part".

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2014 8:46 AM

It was a 4-hour broadcast spread over two nights, R25. 192 minutes total, that's all there ever was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2014 8:47 AM

I bought it on Amazon. It is three hours seven minutes so I guess it is the whole thing minus commercials.

It is not great picture quality but is totally watchable for the 6 bucks it cost. Not sure if it is a boot leg. It looks like a lot of those old miniseries you see on the History Channel like War and Remembrance and stuff.

[quote] and "is missing the last part".

I don't know. It ends as soon as Jones dies. Was there originally more?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2014 8:59 AM

This whole movie is on YouTube, for free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2014 9:46 AM

Documentary...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2014 2:35 PM

Seen it a few times. Chilling and very realistic.Really great cast.. Boothe deserved the Emmy. He was the only actor to show up that year to collect it since SAG was on strike and boycotted the event.

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2014 3:11 PM

Documentaries about Jim Jones and the Guyana tragedy always include actual tapes of him talking to his followers. They're horrifying; Jones has a laugh like a psycho in a horror movie. There's also a tape of the mass suicide which is ghastly. Actually, a lot of people did NOT commit suicide; they were murdered, forced to drink the poison. And of course, ALL of the children were murdered. On the tapes one poor brave woman tries to argue that the children should be allowed to live their lives. Jones counters with "don't they deserve peace?" He of course gets his way, and all those innocent children were murdered, dead because of Jones's insanity and their parent's stupidity.

Even today, after all these years, it's still incredible, incredible to think that people would pack up and leave the country with their children in order to follow their "leader", an psychotic preacher named Jim Jones. What the HELL is wrong with people like that? It boggles the mind. I'll never be able to understand people like that. It's so crazy.

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2014 5:06 PM

R32, I think it's worth noting that the late '60s and '70s was a peculiar time when the youth of America and the Western World were so distrustful of the establishment (society, government, religion) that many rejected it and sought fulfillment (secular and spiritual) elsewhere. The gullible among them embraced whoever offered an alternative worldview. And the more exotic and outré the better. Beginning with the Beatles and Mia Farrow trekking to India for the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's guidance, and continuing with the Rolling Stones in the pleasure palaces of Marrakesh, traveling to distant lands for enlightenment was the cool thing to do. And by the '70s there were so many cults and charismatic leaders to choose from: the Moonies, the Hare Krishnas, Children of God, Twelve Tribes, Peoples Temple, etc.

by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2014 10:56 PM

[quote] think it's worth noting that the late '60s and '70s was a peculiar time when the youth of America and the Western World were so distrustful of the establishment (society, government, religion) that many rejected it and sought fulfillment (secular and spiritual) elsewhere.

Jones' followers weren't particularly young. There were a lot of older and even elderly people who followed him to Guyana.

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2014 5:50 AM

Did you read that? R28 bought the TAPE! Get her, girls!

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2014 6:01 AM

Is it just me or does anyone else think about how gullible and stupid these people must have been and say to yourself, "no big loss"? The children's deaths are sad, sure, but this is what religion (and stupidity) can do to people.

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2014 6:03 AM

R36, it's just you. Now go to bed like a good boy.

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2014 6:07 AM

I seem to recall before the TV movie there was a low budget trashy movie about Jim Jones that came out that exploited the sexual aspects of the cult. Anybody else remember?

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2014 6:13 AM

These people were not religious R36. By the late 60's Jones was an atheist who endorsed communism. In the tapes R32 refers to,Jones gets extremely graphic describing sex with men. He talks about "opening up" big men and how hard he fucked them, complete with sound effects.

by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2014 6:52 AM

Wow, I didn't realize that, R39. Makes me want to believe in a god! (Just kidding.)

I didn't know Jones had sex with men. That's really hot.

by Anonymousreply 40December 1, 2014 7:35 AM

r2, I went to a Christian school and we were shown this too. Kids raised in a religious environment like parochial school are more susceptible to cults.

by Anonymousreply 41December 1, 2014 8:09 AM

Somewhere online is an account by one of the guys who had to go in and help clean up the mess afterwards. It's very chilling to read. The bodies laid in the hot,steaming jungle for several days before the authorities got to them, so the bodies were in an advanced state of decomposition. The author of the account stayed until the camp was totally cleaned up, he reported that the stench of death stayed there after all the bodies had been transported out.

by Anonymousreply 42December 1, 2014 12:20 PM

This isn't r42's on-line description, but there is a link to the Jonestown recovery effort on this Army Quartermaster Mortuary Affairs webpage:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2014 12:14 AM

[R40] thats hot? Seriously? You hoes think anything with 2 hard dicks is hot. THIS is NOT hot.

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2014 2:05 AM

I had no idea that he was a rump ranger

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2014 2:13 AM

Listen to these tapes. He is cursing and asking followers if they had sex, talking about cutting off pricks, and going on about 7 and 8 hour fucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2014 2:25 AM

Transcript of tapes where Jones talks about fucking men. Scroll down near the bottom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2014 2:27 AM

from 3:19 on he rants about fucking huge men, opening them up, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2014 2:28 AM

Christ, he sounds like a crazy person. How THE hell did he get anyone to follow him?

What kind of preacher curses like that and goes on and on about fucking.

Cults are scary things.

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2014 2:35 AM

Listening to that tape, he sounds as though he had utter contempt for his followers. They must have been truly desperate to belong to something.

by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2014 2:38 AM

Well at least his sermons were never boring.

by Anonymousreply 51December 2, 2014 2:39 AM

Were those sermons from SF or from Guyana?

by Anonymousreply 52December 2, 2014 2:41 AM

Um, the reality was bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2014 2:45 AM

I've seen so much but nothing was as bad as the situation is today. Corporations in complete control of our government. I really don't believe we will ever recover from this.

by Anonymousreply 54December 2, 2014 2:48 AM

Powers Booth was blacklisted for decades because he dared to defy SAG and cross the picket line to attend the Emmys. The real shame of that year's ceremony was that the phenomenal Party Duke also won for The Miracle Worker. It would have been an historic full circle moment for her career but I suppose when you're the president of SAG you kinda have to tow the party line.

by Anonymousreply 55December 2, 2014 3:24 AM

The tapes were from Guyana.

by Anonymousreply 56December 2, 2014 3:28 AM

I wonder, on the conspiratorial side, how Jim Jones could have been so entrenched in SF civic life. He was not an outlaw.

by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2014 3:30 AM

So the people were already trapped, then, and had to listen...

by Anonymousreply 58December 2, 2014 3:30 AM

But few insiders liked him r57 -- his photo ops were mostly of feds passing through.

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2014 3:32 AM

Jones played tapes of himself over the loudspeakers 24/7. There was no escape.

by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2014 3:34 AM

Were there armed guards watching the exits? Didn't a handful of people run for it?

I'm going to have to track down the Powers Booth version, though normally I go for a detailed doc

by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2014 3:39 AM

R61, One of Jim Jones' sons survived along with his basketball teammates lucky to be playing in another city. A few of the security guards escaped. Also a couple of very elderly patients who were asleep were overlooked. Most were hunted down and killed.

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2014 5:42 AM

Jonestown was isolated. Jim Jones feared interference from anyone else, and had become increasingly paranoid. His followers were totally unprepared for the harsh living conditions, unforgiving soil, and lack of food. Few would have been physically strong enough to run away to safety. Those that tried to escape on Congressman Ryan's private plane were shot.

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2014 5:47 AM

Wow, reading the transcript, Jones was completely insane, and just browbeating people to agree with him. They all sound afraid of him. I'm surprised the guards didn't just escape themselves.

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2014 6:45 AM

He was a psychopath who took advantage of people who were desperate for a better life. They were all easy prey for a sociopathic cult leader.

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2014 10:21 PM

Of course they were afraid of him, he ended up killing them.

by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2014 10:27 PM

Speaking of bizarre cults, did anyone know someone involved with the Eternal Values cult? How about their justification for interracial gang bangs for purity rituals? Or the misogynist leader telling a top supermodel to sit on a 6 ft dildo in the middle of NY City?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 4, 2014 7:59 AM

[quote]I was shown this movie at my Catholic school as a warning against cults...

So an old cult showed a movie warning about new cults? Sounds about right. I'm sure they don't want any competition.

by Anonymousreply 68December 4, 2014 8:46 AM

by Anonymousreply 69December 10, 2014 12:51 AM

Bumpy

by Anonymousreply 70October 8, 2016 11:45 PM

The BEST version is the one where Jessica Alba goes to find out what happened to her family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2016 1:06 AM

R33 - $cientology. You missed a cult.

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2016 1:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!