Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ridiculous Expiration Dates

I generally rely on appearance, smell, and taste for food items, but I usually ignore all the others.

I think consumer product expiration dates are used by many manufacturers and retailers just to sell more product. Of course stores and manufacturers **love** expiration dates. Consumer doubt and unease sells products, so slap them on everything, even the ridiculous items.

Case in point: tonight I searched my medicine cabinet for my Vicks Vapo-Rub. I notice an expiration date of 2006. Vapo-Rub?! It's just petroleum jelly + some aromatic oils.

Yeah right -- I'll be sure to toss this jar and run out to buy some "fresh" Vapo-Rub.

Another other DLers think most expiration dates are beyond stupid?

by Anonymousreply 38November 4, 2014 3:34 AM

Imodium four years past expiration works fine.

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2014 2:00 AM

How many of us have passed our "sell-by" dates?

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2014 2:02 AM

[quote]How many of us have passed our "sell-by" dates?

Die in a grease fire, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2014 2:04 AM

I won't eat anything that is more than 5 years past their expiration date. I make that a firm rule.

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2014 2:12 AM

Expiration dates for many products have more to do with quality than safety. Many things are safe to eat past their expiration dates, but won't taste as good. Same with medications and beauty products -- they'll be safe, but perhaps not as effective or potent.

by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2014 4:24 AM

Unless it's on raw chicken, or eggs, I ignore them, and have for 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2014 5:00 AM

The US Army has done extensive testing on the efficacy of drugs past their so-called expiration date. Almost all drugs, except for those that require refrigeration, work just as well today as they will a dozen years from now. Drugs are remarkably shelf stable.

by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2014 5:03 AM

ACTUAL FACTOID:

Did you know that if your milk goes sour and curdles in the fridge, you can make cheese out of it?

by Anonymousreply 8October 27, 2014 5:08 AM

Same with cum, r8.

by Anonymousreply 9October 27, 2014 5:11 AM

Haven't you ever heard of cooties OP? Vick's Vaporub that expired in 2006 was manufactured 10 years ago. I'll admit to keeping something like neosporin that comes in a tube or pills slightly past their expiration dates but that's it. Things like makeup and jars of stuff that you stick your fingers into should not be kept for a long period.

by Anonymousreply 10October 27, 2014 5:14 AM

Several years ago, I listened to a dietician giving a speech on food product safety. The one astonishing fact that I remember was that Twinkies and similar products have an actual shelf life of twenty years.

I'm filling my Ebola protection shelter with mass quantities of Hostess products, water, powdered milk, and coffee.

by Anonymousreply 11October 27, 2014 5:29 AM

And uncut yields more cheese, eh, R9?

by Anonymousreply 12October 27, 2014 5:38 AM

The practice has become so pervasive (rubbing alcohol for instance,) that it is meaningless, thus defeating the original purpose.

I had a Hormel's meat thingy a month past, and lived.

by Anonymousreply 13October 27, 2014 6:49 AM

OP = cheap bastard.

Just buy a fucking new jar of that shit and shut the fuck up already.

by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2014 7:53 AM

Do you have recipe, r8?

No. You don't. Because you made it up.

by Anonymousreply 15October 27, 2014 8:00 AM

Yes, shut up and buy a new jar and be a "good" consumer so you can add superfluous garbage to the landfills.

by Anonymousreply 16October 27, 2014 8:08 AM

In our house growing up, long before expiration dates, if the can was not swollen, we ate it.

And my great uncle .. he was something else! He would just eat around any mold on the leftovers. He was a legend in out family. Lived to 92.

by Anonymousreply 17October 27, 2014 11:22 AM

Expiration dates are a marketing tool, used to make consumers buy more of their product.

The sooner the expiration date, the sooner you'll buy more of the expired product.

It's a very simple, yet very lucrative concept.

Greedy capitalists, hard at work once again.

by Anonymousreply 18October 27, 2014 2:10 PM

Most canned goods will last indefinitely, as long as the can is intact of course.

Frozen stuff will last a long time, as long the proper temperature is maintained. And the quality will deteriorate before it actually spoils.

Things like dairy products will either smell bad (like milk) or have mold if they go bad.

I'm usually pretty careful about food safety, but I'm generally only really concerned about fresh meat (especially poultry.)

by Anonymousreply 19October 27, 2014 3:47 PM

Personally, I think ham tastes its best when it is slime to the touch and gives off that rainbow sheen.

by Anonymousreply 20October 27, 2014 3:51 PM

Canned food will not, repeat, will not last indefinitely, R19. Deaths in this country from botulism have come from eating canned foods.

by Anonymousreply 21October 27, 2014 5:00 PM

R21 If there was botulism, it is because it was canned improperly or the can is not intact. And botulism would occur irrespective of the expiration date.

by Anonymousreply 22October 27, 2014 5:24 PM

Cans tainted with botulism typically swell.

by Anonymousreply 23October 27, 2014 5:36 PM

Rule of thumb on cans:

1. Never buy dented cans.

2. Never eat any cans that have swelled.

3. Use the color test. Know what color the product should be. If the products' color deviates from the norm then toss it.

4. Always do the smell test. If after opening the products smells rotten or bad, toss it.

5. When in doubt, toss it out.

by Anonymousreply 24October 27, 2014 5:53 PM

Janet Jackson's Expiration Date was 1992, but she went bad long before that.

by Anonymousreply 25October 27, 2014 6:44 PM

Somethings will never expire!

by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2014 6:57 PM

I never knew red whine vinegar in a sealed bottle could go bad. I had an expensive bottle do just that. WTH is in vinegar that can go bad???

Eggs - I use pasteurized shell eggs and they keep at least 3 months past their expiration date, even eating them raw.

Chicken - usually good for at least a week and if stored in a Foodsaver type bag nearly forever in the freezer. A couple of weeks ago I ate shrimp from the freezer that were in a Foodsaver bag dated 2009. They were fine, not even any taste lost.

I've eaten 10 day old pot roast just in the fridge.

Hard cheese stays good in the fridge in a Foodsaver bag for about a year. Parm about 2 years.

Also never opened cream, sour cream and cream and cottage cheese stays for months. Once you open them though you should use them within a week or so.

It's good to stock up on those things when they go on sale.

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2014 7:00 PM

Things that are completely frozen will last practically forever. The only thing that will change may be the taste but they are still consumable. Scientists have eaten the meat of Wooly Mammoths that had been frozen in ice for thousands of years.

Honey lasts practically forever as well. Honey found in Tutankhamen's tomb was said to be still edible, though I don't think anyone actually tried to eat it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2014 7:16 PM

The rules are: eat food by its 'Use By' date. Ignore 'Best Before' and 'Sell By' dates with the following in mind:

-You can cut mould from bread that isn't black, and eat it safely after toasting

-Don't eat dairy that has been left unrefrigerated for more than two hours.

-You can cut mould from a hard, dry, cheese and eat the rest safely-mould needs moisture so it doesn't penetrate these cheeses - make sure the knife does not become contaminated .

-Do not eat soft cheeses which were opened more than two days prior. You cannot smell listeria.

-Mould on refrigerated jam can be scrapped off - the jam is safe to eat as the acid in the fruit deters bacterial growth

-Never eat mouldy nuts -the contain a highly toxic fungus, aspergillus flavus, which causes liver cancer

-Never eat cooked rice that has cooled at room temperature - it accumulates bacteria very fast

-Any sliminess on vegetables and fruit indicates advanced bacterial presence and you eat that, your gut will not thank you for it.

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2014 7:35 PM

My partner is an expiration date concern freak. One day past the date and into the garbage it goes, even canned or boxed stuff. I try to explain that there is no magical chemical reaction that causes good food to go bad at the stroke of midnight on the date of expiration, but he doesn't believe me.

by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2014 7:37 PM

I think the expiration date craze when the FDA started demanding that drugs and food all have expiration dates listed.

The truth is most medicines work just fine long, long after the expiration date. Most food stays fine too.

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2014 7:51 PM

Hah! Caught my attention with topic attitude. I hang out at the Kabul Grocery in Afghanistan (ask for Fohdah) cruising for Planters and Slim Jims...keeps me alive and healthy. Hygiene/food prep gross. Give me expired Cheesits.

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2014 8:01 PM

R27 says eggs will last for 4 months. Can I get a witness? I've got eggs in my fridge for a couple weeks and I'm wondering if they are still safe. Growing up in a family with seven kid, we had it drilled into us that we never were to waste food.

by Anonymousreply 33November 4, 2014 3:14 AM

I use pasteurized shell eggs. A brand called Safest Choice. I don't know if non pasteurized eggs would last as long. I'd be afraid to use any eggs other than these if they were way past expiration. These eggs are saw to eat raw so they're already safer than any other egg. I don't know of any other company that makes pasteurized eggs in the shell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 4, 2014 3:19 AM

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2014 3:22 AM

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 36November 4, 2014 3:26 AM

It's other way around, R35.

Put eggs in water. If they sink they're still good, if they float they're bad. They float due to the gas building up inside the shell as the egg goes bad.

by Anonymousreply 37November 4, 2014 3:30 AM

[quote]The one astonishing fact that I remember was that Twinkies and similar products have an actual shelf life of twenty years.

That's not true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 4, 2014 3:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!