Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Box Office Mojo has disappeared and been merged into Amazon's IMDb.

Most of the useful information is now gone.

Sad and interesting. The control of information - both content and channels for dissemination - are going to be interesting paths for power and control over the next few decades.

I wonder how I can cash in...

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2014

These big sites love to buy niche sites and then, demolish them. Like TV Guide buying Jump the Shark just to pull the plug on it.

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2014

It's like what Disney did with Pixar : buy them, swear they won't interfere with the films and won't turn it into a sequel factory...then interfere with the films and turn them into a sequel factory.

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2014

I freakin hate IMDB. First they decided you can only leave comments under news and movie lists by using your facebook or yahoo account, but not with IMDB account (where's the logic in that?!) and now this!

Rottentomatoes also had an ugly makeover recently. I hate how all these websites are becoming more smartphone friendly, which ususally means they look hideous if you visit them on your laptop.

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2014

I'm going to miss Box Office Mojo.

r1, Jump The Shark was hilarious. I believe the same creators put up a new site, Bone The Fish, but it isn't the same.

by Anonymousreply 410/11/2014

It's back, but hasn't been updated.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2014

Jump the Shark was the most brilliant website. I spent hours reading it when I first discovered it. The only thing I didn't like is how they were rating shows before they ended. Anyhow, it's a shame what TV Guide, you can't even find an archive of it. Bone the fish is not the same at all.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2014

Also how NBC/Bravo bought Television Without Pity and then plowed it under.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2014

Thanks R5. Box office numbers actually have been updated, thank god. Gone Girl only fall 29% and stayed #1 and Dracula made a surprising #2 debut. I bet Dracula makes killing in the foreign market.

I read that industry heavyweights use this site....heavily so I can't imagine it goes away completing. It may become a pay website though. Amazon is hemorrhaging profit. (anyone want to buy an Amazon Fire?)

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2014

I feel like I've been thrown back to 2004 before I found box office mojo. I used to visit box office guru and the-numbers before I found bom. I'm now back to looking at those sites. Box office guru closed for a few years and is back now. It isn't the same. It doesn't provide daily numbers and doesn't predict box office numbers. The-numbers also doesn't provide daily numbers like it used to but is better at all-time lists than it was when I last visited years ago.

Hollywood isn't having a good year. Recently, a Chinese company bought AMC theater chain. I wonder if either was a factor in trying to silence box office mojo.

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2014

Tell me about it, OP.

It's not just movies.

They are destroying hockey with proprietary analytics now, right after they gutted the players' union, of course.

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2014

The site that has disappeared which upsets me was one called "newsmeat" where you could see the political contributions made by everyone, including celebs. It was certainly an eyeopener when you start finding out who's really a Republican or Democrat. Very disappointed in a lot of people I formerly thought were liberal.

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2014

[quote]Like TV Guide buying Jump the Shark just to pull the plug on it.

That is the saddest thing of all. I would kill to get an archived copy of the site. The Wayback Machine used to have one but then it was stopped for copyright violation.

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2014

[quote]you can only leave comments under news and movie lists by using your facebook or yahoo account

Heaven forbid you take five seconds and make a fake account and use it.

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!