Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone else a fan of Newhart?

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 3505/18/2015

Favorite episode? That's easy...the last one. The series finale. That chinese food induced dream that sends the series back to TBNS and the Chicago apartment. When Bob describes the dream, and the Suzanne Pleshett (sp?) comes up from under the covers...classic.

by Anonymousreply 109/22/2014

Love the Seein' Double episode. Stephanie stars in a sitcom as identical twins with Dick as her father.

by Anonymousreply 209/22/2014

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 309/22/2014

I'm Daryl, and this is my brother, Daryl, and my other brother, Daryl.

by Anonymousreply 409/22/2014

by Anonymousreply 509/22/2014

Phoebe was one of the Daryl's wife.

by Anonymousreply 609/22/2014

Remember me?

by Anonymousreply 709/22/2014

I disagree

by Anonymousreply 809/22/2014

NO. Hate him and hate his stupid tv show.

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2014

I LOVED the episode where Stephanie sang Ol' Man River on a telethon (IIRC).

by Anonymousreply 1009/22/2014

by Anonymousreply 1109/22/2014

Not as good as The Bob Newhart show

by Anonymousreply 1209/22/2014

Yeah, the whole first season (pre-Stephanie and with the annoying Steven Kampmann) was pretty mediocre. It didn't hit its stride until Stephanie and Michael came along.

And of course they were the ORIGINAL fashion police, handing out citations at the mall for people who weren't dressed to their standards.

by Anonymousreply 1309/22/2014

its on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 1409/22/2014

r1 Arguably the best sitcom ending ever.

r2 Larry was the brother who spoke.

by Anonymousreply 1509/23/2014

No one is going to correct and/or make fun of R4?

by Anonymousreply 1609/23/2014

It was okay but I think you're giving it too much credit. All the characters were very one-note. The Larry/Darryl/Darryl joke was tired after the second time they did it and they kept doing it for 8 seasons! It was their "Whatchoo talkin' bout?!"

The only reason anyone really remembers it at all today is because of the series ending, which was admittedly completely original.

by Anonymousreply 1709/23/2014

I'm Meryl, this is my sister, Meryl, and this is my other sister Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 1809/23/2014

I'm LARRY and this is my brother, Daryl, and this is my other brother, Daryl.

by Anonymousreply 1909/23/2014

r4 r6 r19

Darryl, not Daryl.

by Anonymousreply 2009/23/2014

I don't think I've seen this show since it originally aired, but I remember liking it enough to watch it regularly. Always liked Bob Newhart's comedy.

One element of the show I didn't like was the three Darryl brothers. That was (sort of) funny the first time, but then it was just stupid—kind of like Carlton the doorman was on [italic]Rhoda[/italic].

Of course the series finale was awesome. One of the best in TV history, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 2109/23/2014

I always liked this show, and really thought Julia Duffy and Peter Scolari were inspired as Michael and Stephanie. But I haven't seen it either since it first ran, except for season one which I bought on dvd a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2209/23/2014

The ending was the best, but I also like one of the Halloween episodes:

George (dressed like a lion): Guess who I am?

Stephanie: Joanna?

George: No, I'm the Cowardly Lion.

Stephanie: Well, everyone's going to think you're Joanna.

by Anonymousreply 2309/23/2014

I married Sam

He's a black, running back

He's a fag

Oh I married Sam

Love is blind, black is fine

He's a drag

Giddy and homosexual all day he just keeps my heart racing

Never know when I'll get blown

To each his own

Can deny that Sam is full grown

by Anonymousreply 2409/23/2014

Mary Frann was very funny in an understated way.

by Anonymousreply 2501/17/2015

Help! Help! Someone's driven their car right into Johnnycake Pond!

by Anonymousreply 2601/17/2015

"Newhart" is airing on AntennaTV now.

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2015

Bob is a strange duck, I've never been able to either like him or dislike him. I enjoyed his first show, Marcia Wallace was a hoot but I think it's because he has no personality to speak of. This probably worked in his favor because he was the bland centerpiece for zany characters to orbit in 3 sitcoms and made more money that 99% of truly great edgy comics. I also remember watching his first show as a kid and assuming this guy was 60ish (I could never figure why Emily was married to him) . 20 years later he still looked 60ish.

by Anonymousreply 2801/17/2015

I liked the episode where George was dating a lady with a big behind.

by Anonymousreply 2901/17/2015

Why does Tom Poston get his own credit on the beginning? Was he a bigger star than Bob Newhart?

by Anonymousreply 3001/17/2015

I just watched "Seein' Double!" on YouTube and it was pretty meta television... clearly everything that the real Bob Newhart hated about sitcoms wrapped into one self-referential plot (zany mixups, cream pies, everyone sharing a laugh at the end, etc.)

Anyway, it turns out Julia Duffy's standin played the identical twin (shot from the back) on that episode, and she wrote a long blog entry about her six years on Newhart. She said that Newhart didn't like rehearsing with her instead of Julia, and that she and Julia had a professionally pleasant but not personally friendly relationship. But this cracked me up:

[quote]He was never crazy about the wife. God Bless Mary Frann, RIP. She was a ray of sunshine on the set, always smiling and greeting everyone. But she had some annoying tics, and was constantly mugging. Bob, would edge away from her as she mugged away, so she wouldn't be in the shot. And those sweaters! God! I think she found them herself, had wardrobe buy them, and then kept 'em. Well, after a few years, she started to want more. I think agents put actors up to this. Pulling little trips, like showing up late to the set; everyone waiting for her. Pissed Bob off. So, he would open his dressing room door, which was right next to hers, and shut it, so she would think he went to the set. Well, after many antics and posturing, and contract demands, and stories in the tabloids, she was told that the name of the show was not "Frann", and until it was, she better cut it out. You can be replaced, you know, Chickie, Baby.

This was interesting, because in her career interview with the Television Academy, Suzanne Pleshette said she had mixed feelings about the finale because of Mary Frann -- Suzanne knew she'd get an ovation and felt bad for Mary. Suzanne said when her scene was over she slipped out without saying goodbye to anyone and purposely skipped the wrap party "so Mary could have her moment."

I wonder if that great last scene was also Newhart's way of telling Mary Frann that she'd never be his real TV wife.

by Anonymousreply 3101/17/2015

Suzanne Pleshette was a real mensch.

by Anonymousreply 3201/17/2015

Mary Frann did a lot of charity work for abused women without fanfare.

by Anonymousreply 3301/17/2015

Wow. Check this 1985 newspaper article where Mary Frann tells the reporter that she wants better story lines.

Her ideas for "comedic possibilities" include her character teaching an aerobics class, and more scenes with Julia Duffy:

[quote]"We could get into all kinds of crazy escapades," says Frann, America's Junior Miss of 1961. "There's no reason we couldn't be the Ethel and Lucy of the 80s."

Did she think the show was called "Frann"?

by Anonymousreply 3401/17/2015

I liked Newhart and I think both of Bob Newhart's sitcoms were funny. The Bob Newhart Show had characters that were funny but not eccentric. Newhart the characters were hilarious because they were just nuts; George, Stephanie, Michael, Larry, Daryl and Daryl - the moment any of them came in the room you would just start laughing. Both great shows and very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 3505/18/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!