Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does The Bronx really exist?

I've lived in NYC area my whole life and I've never met a person from The Bronx.

Is it a fictional place like Atlantis?

by Anonymousreply 7810/09/2014

Fuck you and your racist white male privilege.

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2014

is r1 posting from Ferguson?

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2014

Very real. It's a zoo.

by Anonymousreply 308/23/2014

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 408/23/2014

I know several (born and raised) from the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 508/23/2014

several what r5?

by Anonymousreply 608/23/2014

[quote] Fuck you and your racist white male privilege.

There are Irish American neighborhoods in the Bronx. North Riverdale, Woodlawn

by Anonymousreply 708/23/2014

R4, you definitely never met me, and now you never will!

- Lauren Bacall (From the Bronx)

by Anonymousreply 808/23/2014

I think Jenny was from the block and the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 908/23/2014

I know many buried there...

by Anonymousreply 1008/23/2014

My ex and best friend was born and raised in the Bronx. I've known him 35 years. Also several of his friends.

by Anonymousreply 1108/23/2014

OP, is this the best you can come up with on a Saturday night???

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 1208/23/2014

not a fan of nyc so im glad I never met anyone from da brawnx.

by Anonymousreply 1308/23/2014

I've spent a lot of time in NYC and lots of people from the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 1408/23/2014

Ifya ever bintuh da zoo, ya bintuh da Bronx

by Anonymousreply 1508/23/2014

OP = Carrie Bradshaw... Column "Does the Bronx really exist?"

Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 1608/23/2014

My mom reminds me regularly that I was conceived in Riverdale (where my folks lived right after their honeymoon).

I guess my relatives buried at Woodlawn Cemetery are in "South Westchester"?

by Anonymousreply 1708/23/2014

I attended -- and graduated -- from Manhattan College, which despite its name is in the Bronx. I received a great education there.

My husbear graduated from Fordham University, Rose Hill campus, in the Bronx.

As you can read, we have warm feelings for the Bronx

by Anonymousreply 1808/23/2014

Villa Charlotte Bronte in the Bronx is one of the coolest addresses in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 1908/23/2014

r19 convinced me!!! I'm going to the Bronx!!! That's beautiful r19. Is it a private residence?

by Anonymousreply 2008/23/2014

by Anonymousreply 2108/23/2014

R1

by Anonymousreply 2208/23/2014

I was mugged on the #2 train.

I was raped on the #3 train.

I'll never go back.

by Anonymousreply 2308/23/2014

R1 needs to swallow a bottle of chill pills STAT.

by Anonymousreply 2408/23/2014

Go to a Yankee game, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2508/23/2014

Arthur Avenue is in the Bronx. It's the new Little Italy. Except it's really little and there are Albanians there, too.

by Anonymousreply 2608/23/2014

Villa Charlotte Bronte - an 1100 sq ft 2 bedroom for $550k, with monthly fee of $1500. Doesn't mention that property taxes are included in the fee, so you'll probably have a hefty monthly tax on top of your coop fee. It doesn't mention that heat and electricity are included, so that's an extra cost. I doubt air conditioning is a possibility in such an old building.

Note that the kitchen and bathrooms are in original condition and the building was built in 1926. So you're looking at a lot of money updating those areas. Since the kitchen and bathrooms haven't been updated, it makes me think that someone lived in that place for a long, long time. Factor in "old people smell." I'm not joking. I went house hunting in Douglaston Queens and in Northport, LI and went into some older homes that were lovely looking on the outside and had great-looking windows and wood. But they'd been lived in by the same person (male in every case) since the 1930s and there was some serious funk in the air. Being close to the water can add a musty/mold smell on top of Old Person Who Didn't Do Serious Housecleaning smell.

by Anonymousreply 2708/23/2014

OP- you must be fuckin' lying. It is impossible to live in NYC all of your life and not know someone from the Bronx. Will you next write that you didn't know anyone from Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island?

by Anonymousreply 2808/23/2014

Duh, haven't you heard of Bronx Mowgli, OP? Smdh!

by Anonymousreply 2908/23/2014

r28 is a very literal person.

by Anonymousreply 3008/23/2014

I was born in the Bronx, although my parents moved us out when I was 1 month old. Do I count?

by Anonymousreply 3108/23/2014

I was born in the Bronx, New York in December, 1941.

I've always felt responsible for World War II. The first thing I remember liking that liked me back was food. I had a bad puberty; it lasted 17 years. I'm a high school graduate. I went to art school. My entrance exam was on a book of matches. I decided to move out of the house when I was 24; my mother still refers to this as the time I ran away from home. Eventually I ran to Minneapolis, where it's cold, and I figured I'd keep better. Now I'm back in Manhattan. New York, this is your last chance!"

by Anonymousreply 3208/23/2014

Atlantis is NOT a fictional place!

by Anonymousreply 3308/24/2014

R30 as a died in the wool New Yorker, with it's blood running through my veins, I am extremely literal as REAL New Yorkers are. We say exactly what is on our minds and pull no punches, regardless of what anyone else thinks or feels. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 3408/24/2014

lighten up Bill, you'll live longer

by Anonymousreply 3508/24/2014

R35 thanks for your concern. I'm feeling fine and intend to live forever!

by Anonymousreply 3608/24/2014

I have a job opportunity in the tremont area near the botanical garden and the park. How safe is this area?

by Anonymousreply 3710/05/2014

Have you heard of the NY Yankees?

by Anonymousreply 3810/05/2014

r34 needs to learn to spell.

by Anonymousreply 3910/05/2014

I was born in The Bronx in 1949 where my family all grew up and prospered. We moved to NJ in 1952 or 1953, I think.

Though I was only a little tot, I remember the neighborhood being very safe. My young cousins would take me to the corner drug store for chocolate egg creams, unsupervised by an adult.

And roller-skating on the sidewalks in those metal skates you would clamp onto your shoes and tighten with a key.

I don't remember much else but the street names, which were Featherbed Lane and Jessup Avenue. Does anyone else from The Bronx know those names and what those streets are like now?

by Anonymousreply 4010/05/2014

OP is a perfect example of how incredibly hide-bound and parochial nearly all NY'ers are. West of eight avenue? Fuggetaboutit! Anywhere that is off their subway route doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 4110/05/2014

R27, if it is a coop, there are no real estate taxes in addition to the maintenance. In a coop, the residents do not own real estate. They own shares in a corporation. The corporation owns the real estate, and is solely responsible for the real estate taxes.

by Anonymousreply 4210/05/2014

JLO Is the queen of the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 4310/05/2014

The Bronx? No thonks.

by Anonymousreply 4410/05/2014

r30, Featherbed Lane still has 1920's apartment buildings and some small houses.

There are four differing stories as to how Featherbed Lane got its name.

One says that during the Revolutionary War, locals covered the street with feather beds so soldiers fighting the British could move quietly through the area.

Another declares the road to have been so rough that those who traveled on it padded their carriage seats with featherbeds to keep it from being too uncomfortable.

A third story, partly contradicting the first two, suggests that the road’s muddy composition provided a similar effect to that of a featherbed and thus made for a very smooth ride. The last story has nothing to do with the road itself, but suggests that the name dates from the 1840s when the area was home, and office, to a large number of prostitutes.

by Anonymousreply 4510/05/2014

The Bronx has the highest poverty level in NYC and most Non-Published numbers, to avoid bill collectors.

by Anonymousreply 4610/05/2014

I have lived in Manhattan all my life and find absolutely no need to travel to The Bronx; it's like a third world country.I went to the zoo once, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 4710/05/2014

Thanks for the info r45!

by Anonymousreply 4810/05/2014

R37, Tremont is a little further south than the Botanical Garden. Do you mean it's near the zoo? You can plug in the address in the map at the link and see if that helps you any.

by Anonymousreply 4910/05/2014

r49, when describing the physical distance from the Botanical Garden, Tremont is a little "farther" south.

by Anonymousreply 5010/05/2014

The Bronx is the only borough connected to the United States mainland. Until the creation of "New York City" in 1898, the Bronx was part of Westchester County.

by Anonymousreply 5110/05/2014

r27/42, chickens live in a coop. People reside in a co-op.

by Anonymousreply 5210/05/2014

You've lived here all your life and never been to Yankees game, OP? You need to get out more.

Also, the zoo is terrific. Good place to bring a date.

by Anonymousreply 5310/05/2014

I met a couple from The Bronx...she was beautiful, he was an executive in a huge company. They had some money.

by Anonymousreply 5410/05/2014

Just so you know the Bronx does have a good sized LGBT community. As of the last election the place sent the youngest member to the City Council. But guess since much of this involves black and or Hispanic/Latino gays and lesbians (and the whites that love them) guess many of you can't be bothered.

Leaving aside the south there are beautiful parts of the Bronx that are solid middle class and above. You also have Italian (Arthur Avenue) Irish, Jewish (Riverdale) areas as well. Indeed Riverdale offers some very desirable estates/homes that would go for much more if they were a few miles away in Westchester.

by Anonymousreply 5510/05/2014

In the years I've lived in NYC, to my knowledge, I've only met one person who was born in the Bronx and another who currently lives there. I've been to a Yankees game and have taken the train through there several times.

by Anonymousreply 5610/05/2014

The Bronx will be the new Brooklyn. I lived there for 7 years with my now husband. Good- cheap rent, easy commute to UES, hot men if you like blue collar latinos with big dicks, great parks(20 percent of the Bronx is parks), the zoo, the gardens, Wave Hill is gorgeous ,Woodlawn cemetery is amazing, many clusters of good neighborhoods. Bad- lots of bad neighborhoods and seedy people, and of course answering to aholes the the op (who's obviously a troll and not from NY). Did I mention all the hot latinos with big dicks? I have many fond memories.......

by Anonymousreply 5710/05/2014

I'm not surprised in the slightest that so many posters don't know anyone in the Bronx. I've lived in Queens for 15 years, and if for a year straight, jumbo jets filled with Manhattanites took off from JFK every 5 minutes and crashed into the ocean, I would be invited to perhaps one funeral.

by Anonymousreply 5810/05/2014

I'm also not surprised -- I've met UES people who never went to Battery City or FDR Island.

Even within Manhattan, it can be insular.

by Anonymousreply 5910/05/2014

[quote] Even within Manhattan, it can be insular.

Hmmm, I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 6010/05/2014

Seriously, though. I do not live in the UES but have been to Battery Park City. I've never been to Roosevelt Island though I find it very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 6110/05/2014

UES residents joked years ago now that the only time they went to the West Side was to leave the country. That is of course back when travel to Europe or wherever meant going by ship.

by Anonymousreply 6210/05/2014

@NBCNewYork · 13 hours ago

One man is dead and five others are hospitalized after a melee broke out at a Bronx nightclub

by Anonymousreply 6310/05/2014

by Anonymousreply 6410/05/2014

I worked with a woman in lower Manhattan from Staten Island who never left the island until she was 23 for this job interview. Came to work and walked to the ferry for the ride home. Never went farther north than Wall Street during her lunch hour.

by Anonymousreply 6510/06/2014

Well whaddya know - Anthony Bourdain's most recent "Parts Unknown" profiled the Bronx yesterday - an hour of Bronx culture and eats, available on iTunes and CNN weekend reruns.

by Anonymousreply 6610/06/2014

PROS: Lots of super-hot black and Latin guys who rarely go to any other borough. Go there during a heat wave and you'll see what I mean.

CONS: Not that many chain stores (Starbucks, Staples, Best Buys, book stores, movie theatres) and what's there is usually trashy and overrun with people who tend to shout a lot.

by Anonymousreply 6710/07/2014

It is named for a Dane.

by Anonymousreply 6810/07/2014

I thought Bronck was Dutch, R68?

by Anonymousreply 6910/07/2014

Jonas Bronck

For me, the Danish reference books really seal it, unless Kuyter gave them to him.

by Anonymousreply 7010/07/2014

Much of the Bronx joined New York in 1874 well ahead of Brookly, Staten, and Queens.

by Anonymousreply 7110/07/2014

The largest collection of art deco buildings in the world...

by Anonymousreply 7210/07/2014

r72, Originally known as Grand Boulevard and Concourse, Louis Aloys Risse conceived of the road in 1890, as a means of connecting the borough of Manhattan to the northern Bronx. Construction began on the Grand Concourse in 1894 and was opened to traffic in November 1909.

Built during the height of the City Beautiful movement, it was modeled on the Champs-Élysées in Paris but is considerably larger, stretching four miles in length, measuring 180 feet across, and separated into three roadways by tree-lined dividers.

by Anonymousreply 7310/07/2014

Lived in NYC for 20 years, don't know anyone from the Bronx

by Anonymousreply 7410/07/2014

by Anonymousreply 7510/07/2014

Paris, Texas?

by Anonymousreply 7610/07/2014

IIRC the Bronx has the highest number of same-sex families in NYC. But then again maybe because those households are mostly by LGBTs who are minorities or at least one partner, they are off the power gay radar. *LOL*

Just read that Cyndi Lauper has donated funds to open a new homeless/supportive housing building on Jerome Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 7710/07/2014

They are presumed to be Yankees fans and therefore of the Untouchable caste R77. Even at Riverdale.

by Anonymousreply 7810/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!