Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I know I'm not the only one who hates Mary Poppins

Seriously. I have given this character many chances to charm me in the books, the movie and the stage show but she has let me down in all three media. The movie and the play are both unwatchable and the books are unreadable. She's a cruel, heartless, mean-spirited woman who threatens to call the police on kids for the heinous crime of not being sleepy, and when Disney tried to balance that out by giving her a sappy side, she just got watered down. Meanwhile, the songs in the movie are fucking annoying and have bad messages (sexism, encouraging kids to take sugar with medicine) and I can't believe one of them won an Oscar.

And don't get me started on Dick Van Dyke and his borderline racist accent in one of the worst performances ever committed to film. And speaking of racism, that awful "Step in Time" dance sequence is pretty much stealth blackface. Admiral Boom believes the chimney sweeps to be Khoikhoi warriors, whom he calls "Hottentots," then he shoots at them.

And the ending, in which Mr. Banks gets his old job back after he kills his boss, is unconvincing. Why should he be forgiven for tearing up that kite?

Walt Disney could do better. So could everyone else involved with this piece of shit. That making-of movie that whitewashed what a travesty this film is (although when you get down to it, they were her books) was almost as bad.

All you other haters, have at it.

by Anonymousreply 150November 1, 2016 10:09 PM

The Mary Poppins of the book is nothing like the Mary Poppins of the film. She's a commoner, calling all birds 'sparrers' and spouting off other working class turns of phrase. The books are a bit Lewis Carrollesque in that the structure barely matters - you could read each chapter out of order and understand the entire thing.

I love the movie, but Mary Poppins herself is awful. She's incredibly smug, possessing a tape measure which just happens to say 'Practically perfect in every way' at her height.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2014 9:42 AM

The only thing tying the stories together are Walt's daddy issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2014 9:48 AM

Oh for fuck's sake.

You felt an overwhelming need to go after Mary Poppins, OP? Really?

You've got paragraph after paragraph of venom to spew at a fictional nanny in a children's book played on the screen by the couldn't-be-less-offensive-if-she-tried Julie Andrews.

There's a grease fire somewhere with your name on it. Hurry.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2014 10:10 AM

"Borderline racist accent"? Could you clarify?

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2014 10:12 AM

[quote]You've got paragraph after paragraph of venom to spew at a fictional nanny in a children's book played on the screen by the couldn't-be-less-offensive-if-she-tried Julie Andrews.

She's the only reason that damn thing was a hit, and the only reason she got the Oscar was for not being in [italic]My Fair Lady[/italic], which, if she had done that instead, they should have never made this at all. But I'm only scratching the surface of what is wrong with every version of this story.

[quote]There's a grease fire somewhere with your name on it. Hurry.

Your comments calling for me to die because I consider this a terrible film just proved what kind of people like this crap. Now I hate this film even more.

[quote]"Borderline racist accent"? Could you clarify?

You mean the horrible unspeakable sounds that emanated from his mouth even he admitted sounded nothing like how people ever talked in the East End of London? That's so far off the real thing that it qualifies as verbal blackface.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2014 10:36 AM

And for the record, I absolutely love Julie Andrews and was heartbroken when she lost her voice. [italic]The Sound of Music[/italic] should have been her Oscar-winning role.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2014 10:49 AM

East London is not a race.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2014 11:07 AM

[quote]don't get me started on Dick Van Dyke and his borderline racist accent

What on earth are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2014 11:42 AM

[quote]Meanwhile, the songs in the movie are fucking annoying and have bad messages

How could any human being with an ounce of feeling not love Chim-Chiminee?

Oh, and the witty one about the suffragettes...'From Kensington to Billingsgate..."

Next you'll being saying you don't love Chitty.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2014 11:46 AM

[quote]How could any human being with an ounce of feeling not love Chim-Chiminee?

I liked it better when it was called "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah."

[quote]Oh, and the witty one about the suffragettes...'From Kensington to Billingsgate..."

Strawman feminist-bashing. The assumption that all feminists hate men ("although we adore men individually, we think as a group they're pretty stupid") is sexist.

[quote]Next you'll being saying you don't love Chitty.

I do like that a lot and I resent the fact that MP and the deathless "It's a Small World" have overshadowed so many other, superior Sherman Brothers works.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2014 11:50 AM

I hate it too. The whole movie is too overblown, overlong and lifeless-looking for my taste. And those matte shots of London look hillarious today. The only good scene in the whole movie is "Feed The Birds" number, but most other songs are just your typical Sherman brothers schlock.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2014 12:25 PM

The books are AWFUL. Disney knew what he was doing, getting rid of a lot of the crap Travers wrote. Too bad a lot of it went back in the stage version.

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2014 12:35 PM

You're a bore, OP. Brevity is the soul of wit, and you have neither.

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2014 12:37 PM

[quote]The only good scene in the whole movie is "Feed The Birds" number, but most other songs are just your typical Sherman brothers schlock.

Schlock? Please. I can name dozens of Sherman Brothers songs in other films that are better than anything, and I do mean anything, in this POS. For instance:

For Now, For Always

The Ugly Bug Ball

On the Front Porch

Higitis Figitus

Mad Madam Mim

The Monkey's Uncle theme song

Winnie the Pooh theme song

Little Black Rain Cloud

Fortuosity

Watch Your Footwork

I'll Always Be Irish

Are We Dancing?

There Are Those

It Won't Be Long 'Til Christmas

The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band

Let's Put it Over With Grover

Ten Feet off the Ground

'Bout Time

You Two

Me Ol' Bamboo

Hushabye Mountain

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang title song

Lovely Lonely Man

Doll on a Music Box

The Aristocats theme

Scales and Arpeggios

The Old Home Guard

A Step in the Right Direction (whoever lost the footage should die in a nitrate fire)

The Age of Not Believing

With a Flair

Eglantine

Portobello Road (which shows that there actually were nonwhites in the UK at the time)

The Beautiful Briny

Substitutiary Locomotion

Nobody's Problems For Me

Snoopy Come Home

Do You Remember Me?

It Changes

We've Got Lots In Common (succeeds with an anti-racist message where "It's A Small World" failed)

A Fair is a Veritable Smorgasbord

Charlotte's Web theme song

Zuckerman's Famous Pig

No Goodbyes

Why Can't I Be Two People?

What A Comforting Thing To Know

He Danced With Me

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2014 12:44 PM

[quote]Brevity is the soul of wit, and you have neither.

Nor do you have anything to refute my arguments. Come back when you do.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2014 12:45 PM

[quote]The books are AWFUL. Disney knew what he was doing, getting rid of a lot of the crap Travers wrote.

But what he replaced it with was just a different kind of awful.

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2014 12:46 PM

OP is certainly entitled to his/her opinion.

I happen to disagree. My mother took us to see it when it premiered in 1964, at the St Francis Theatre on Market Street in San Francisco. I adored it then, and still do now. It started my life-long love affair with musicals (and Julie Andrews). I did not like the play very much, however.

I guess that's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2014 12:55 PM

R14 The main problem with Sherman bros is that for every good song they made they also wrote 5 totally forgettable and average ones which felt like they were only lousy fillers (this is most obvious in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang). They weren't very consistent.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2014 1:01 PM

R18: Yet cutting them out of their respective films only made them more confusing. In this case, I'd say cut all the songs and the parts between them.

The Shermans peaked with [italic]Bedknobs and Broomsticks[/italic], the only bona fide classic of the 1970s, which benefitted from early help from Walt and from not watering down the darker elements (they should never have cut as much as they did, though), and their last really compelling score was [italic]The Slipper and the Rose[/italic], with Richard Chamberlain, a delightful film a gay subtext a mile wide. Their first one after that, [italic]The Magic of Lassie[/italic], was a misfire with a cast out of the California GOP's mailing list, and they worked infrequently after that. Considering how far Broadway has fallen, even their weakest works outside of this overrated, overpraised glurge sound better in comparison.

Helen Lyndon Goff was a horrible narcissistic woman who was argumentative for no reason broke up a pair of twins who both died as a result of their alcoholism. The stress her behavior caused probably hastened Walt's already declining health. She didn't deserve to have her books made into films, and there's no way they can be adapted into anything satisfactory because then it won't be Mary Poppins: it'll be something else, something automatically better. Almost all the movies made to capitalize on its undeserved success were better; this just had the benefit of coming first and the timing of coming out around the same time as the British Invasion.

The whole idea that someone can just swoop in and make things better for you is not only misguided, it's dangerous. Only you have the power to save yourself. [italic]The Simpsons[/italic] parody "Shary Bobbins" got it right.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2014 1:16 PM

[quote]the only bona fide classic of the 1970s

From Disney during that period. Not to imply no other classics were made during that time, but very few were made there.

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2014 1:22 PM

R14, you forgot "Femininity".

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2014 1:29 PM

[quote]The Shermans peaked with Bedknobs and Broomsticks, the only bona fide classic of the 1970s,

Nonsense...not one decent song.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2014 1:33 PM

Dick van Dyke actually WORKED on his accent for "Fitzwilly" a few years later, and it was only for a scene where his character pretends to be British. But he's pretty good at it, and I have to think it's because of the constant ribbing he got for the atrocities of his "Mary Poppins" performance.

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2014 1:34 PM

In the book, Mary Poppins is a pretty nasty person. I hated how she always denied the adventures and I never understood why.

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2014 2:02 PM

OP is Irish

He's a boss

He believes in the banking mission.

Am I right?

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2014 7:00 PM

People always underestimate the importance of set design. If Mary Poppins had had ME doing their sets, as I proved in Oliver! years later, OP would rave about it.

by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2014 7:03 PM

I think it's a bad film, with a smug and irritating central character, set in a cutesy-poo version of London that makes it impossible to believe in the sticky sentimental scenes. And I do like some Disney films even now (don't get me started on "Sleeping Beauty" or "Fantasia"), but I disliked "Mary Poppins" as a child and I hate it now.

However, I do love Emma Thompson as a raving bitch in "Saving Mr. Banks". God, that woman is funny!

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2014 8:44 PM

In the original books, Mary Poppins was a cheap East End whore who would do anything for cash. She thought Mr. Banks was a customer, little knowing what he really wanted.

She made the best of it, but grew testy because she couldn't let the children know that Mrs. Corey was her former madam, and Bert was a poofter who liked to wear her panties.

It's no wonder "Mrs" Travers was upset with the film adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2014 4:59 AM

[quote]The Shermans peaked with Bedknobs and Broomsticks, the only bona fide classic of the 1970s

But it only became a classic after they retitled it BORN INNOCENT.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2014 5:07 AM

This is what you're worried about today, OP?

Good god put that bottle down and get your priorities straight you sad drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2014 5:10 AM

I taught that white bitch everything she knows.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2014 5:11 AM

Her bitchiness is what I loved in 1964 when the movie came out. (I was 10.) I loved that she loved "rum punch," that she talked back, didn't feel the need to explain anything. she was fucking Mary Poppins. She didn't need to explain or defend anything. When breeders screwed up with their kids - as with Jane and Michael Banks - she was there to save the day because, without her, the kids would be drug addicts and just useless.

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2014 5:15 AM

I never recovered from "Feed The Birds."

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2014 5:19 AM

[quote]without her, the kids would be drug addicts and just useless.

Matthew Garber died at the age of 21. In David Tomlinson's autobiography, he suspects it was drugs.

[quote]She didn't need to explain or defend anything.

That's circular logic.

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2014 5:19 AM

Take your circular logic - or my circular logic - and shove it up your ass, R34. You're wasting too much time on a kid's movie. Mary Poppins is a fun movie because she's a major bitch. Just like your mother was, R34.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2014 5:21 AM

R35: In real life, people like her are toxic and cause as many problems as they solve. Even [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] was more believable in that respect.

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2014 5:25 AM

But it's a movie, R36. It's not real life. So stop pretending it is. Just because your mother was a toxic bitch and produced a useless fuck like you is no reason to keep on posting about this movie.

And then there is the proverbial DL grease fire for you to step in and die.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2014 5:28 AM

In the Feed the Birds segment in the book, the birds surround the Old Bird Lady and peck her eyes out.

When Jane and Michael stop by after they run away from the bank, they discover her half-eaten corpse.

There's so many different colors to the book!

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2014 11:23 AM

For every gay that must be saved

They're too busy getting shaved

Their hairy ass aren't fuckable

And every task they undertake

Involves perverted cake

The kind, you find, stuffed up their behind

Just a spoonful of negroes...

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2014 1:04 PM

what about this nice instrumental version of Chim Chim Cher-ee from Saving Mr Banks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2014 1:14 PM

[quote]Dick Van Dyke and his borderline racist accent

I will never understand how desperate some people are these days to be viewed as a member of a repressed minority.

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2014 5:08 PM

Incite the massess...

Incite the masses, step in time

Incite the masses, step in time

Never need a reason, never need a rhyme

Incite the masses step in time.

Kill the homo....

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2014 5:50 PM

[quote]And then there is the proverbial DL grease fire for you to step in and die.

Yet another reason to dislike the saccharine treacle Walt turned it into: the people who like it threaten the lives of those who don't.

[italic]Mary Poppins[/italic] is just [italic]Song of the South[/italic] for people who can't stand the sight of dark skin, and if the studio was not actively suppressing the latter, you'd see how much better it is. Caring about Mr. Banks is like caring about Gordon Gekko.

MP won a film editing Oscar only because Walt refused to cut the film to two hours to appease his distribution company, yet as soon as Walt died, the distributors and exhibitors who bitched about the lengths of the film got what they wanted every time they made another musical. And Hollywood kissed his ass the same time his studio fired Tommy Kirk for being gay while, ironically, this sappy plotless mess rightly lost the major Oscars to a film directed by a gay Jew.

In terms of Walt-era live action, [italic]20,000 Leagues Under the Sea[/italic], [italic]Old Yeller[/italic], [italic]Pollyanna[/italic] and [italic]The Parent Trap[/italic] were better. There were worse films, but not that many and not by that much. And even the best of the much-maligned Ron Miller era is better. And of the studio's other hybrids and musicals, [italic]Song of the South[/italic] and its sister film [italic]So Dear to My Heart[/italic] had better animation, [italic]The Happiest Millionaire[italic] had prettier songs, [italic]The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band[/italic] had more political bite to it (and became relevant now that the plan to split California made the 2016 ballot), [italic]Bedknobs and Broomsticks[/italic] had a better plot, better child actors and was far less saccharine (I won't buy the Blu-ray because it's the cut version), [italic]Pete's Dragon[/italic] had a more interesting animated character and a star who could do a more convincing foreign accent (ditto [italic]Who Framed Roger Rabbit[/italic], the only one of these films whose critical and commercial success is proportional to its quality) and hasn't wrecked her voice. This is the most obscenely overrated thing Walt ever made and to call it his crowning achievement is an insult to the likes of [italic]Snow White[/italic], [italic]Pinocchio[/italic], [italic]Fantasia[/italic], [italic]Dumbo[/italic], [italic]Bambi[/italic], [italic]The Three Caballeros[/italic], [italic]Cinderella[/italic], [italic]Alice in Wonderland[/italic], [italic]Peter Pan[/italic], [italic]Lady and the Tramp[/italic] and [italic]Sleeping Beauty[/italic], not to mention Disneyland and the best of the 1930s-1950s short cartoons that are still entertaining today. I'm tired of Disney shoving it down our throats while giving short shrift to other titles in their library that deserve better treatment than they get.

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2014 5:52 PM

[/italic] And that's the truth.

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2014 5:54 PM

I guess its time for DL's quarterly Trash Mary Poppins thread.

Jesus Christ, a bunch of grown men shitting themselves over and over again over a decades-old Disney flick.

Pathetic

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2014 5:56 PM

1. Mary Poppins is a lovely film.

2. OP is unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2014 5:59 PM

[/italic][quote]I guess its time for DL's quarterly Trash Mary Poppins thread.

Where was there another one?

Bottom line: film critics were wrong and the author of the books was right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2014 5:59 PM

R46: Non-qualifiable hyperbole and an ableist insult. I guess you didn't see the scene in [italic]Saving Mr. Bunk[/italic] where Paul Giamatti's character revealed to that woman how his disabled daughter loves the books. BTW, David Tomlinson had an autistic son, making all that jazz about people who "can't see past the end of their noses" all that more offensive.

MP is a terrible travesty of an overrated book series, but when you get right down to it, they were her books. SMB is a celebration of Hollywood butchery.

by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2014 6:09 PM

Non-qualifiable = non-quantifiable. My apologies, which is more than I can ever expect from any of you.

by Anonymousreply 49August 14, 2014 6:12 PM

[quote]Nonsense...not one decent song.

You're right. There is not one decent song. There are nine fabulous ones.

by Anonymousreply 50August 14, 2014 6:14 PM

As far as the movie is concerned there are definetly some Oliver!esque moments. The chimney sweeps for example all looked like they's just come from the Consider Yourself number.

I'm sure P.L Travers didn't write the Poppins story as a musical, in the same way that I'm sure Dickens didn't exactly write A Christmas Carol and Oliver Twist as musicals.

Looking back Dick Van Dyke was almost Fagin at one point. It's a relief that Carol Reed declined Dick in favour of Ron Moody

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 12, 2015 9:51 PM

[quote] his studio fired Tommy Kirk for being gay

Kirk is a bitter queen. He was a full fledge raging druggie for years before Disney booted him. And he simply outgrew his childish looks.

Others that came along were simply better looking, better actors with more talent and 100% less baggage.

Kirk should have been fired, he was a liability to any film by that point. And blaming his homosexuality for his own problems and other people not liking his drugged out warped personality makes him a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2015 10:03 PM

I think what makes the Poppins film so timeless is that she is conceited and smug and a charming, fun person in spite of it. Andrews carries it of brilliantly which is why everybody fell in love with her at the time. And that very final moment when she gets sad at the children forgetting her and pretty much saying that's as things should be wraps it all up wonderfully.

And those Ellenshaw mattes are to die for.

The OP really is unhinged to bring up the R word concerning Van Dyke's accent. I think he's been posting quite a bit on the Islam threads lately.

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2015 10:19 PM

Did the OP ever explain how he justified calling Dick van Dyke's accent "racist"?

NEWS FOR OP: EAST LONDON IS NOT A RACE, you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 54January 12, 2015 10:25 PM

What is sexist about Sister Suffragette? Quite the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 55January 12, 2015 10:34 PM

Let's just say Dick van Dyke's accent was a disgrace to the Cockney accent which is a disgrace to the English language.

by Anonymousreply 56January 12, 2015 10:36 PM

In a recent interview with Alec Baldwin Andrews said her cockney accent as Eliza was as bad as Van Dyke's as Bert.

I remember at the time Fair Lady opened she was called racist by all the NY dailies. Moss Hart responded that she wasn't racist just a lousy actress.

by Anonymousreply 57January 12, 2015 10:49 PM

She was "awfully familiar" with all those smelly, dirty chimney sweeps.

by Anonymousreply 58January 12, 2015 11:04 PM

Julie Andrews and Dick VanDyke are barfy.

by Anonymousreply 59January 12, 2015 11:09 PM

I suspect the OP is yanking our chains here.

by Anonymousreply 60January 12, 2015 11:17 PM

For men who shout mincing tirades

You can believe they have the AIDS

These mincing, prancing queers also molest

And every man they choose to sex

Is no different from the next

Don't flip your lids

Just protect your kids

For a spoonful of sugar helps the antiretrovirals go down

The antiretrovirals go down, the antiretrovirals go down...

You're the most delightful gay

by Anonymousreply 61January 12, 2015 11:38 PM

Suck me ol' bamboo, R61.

by Anonymousreply 62January 12, 2015 11:46 PM

Feed the troll, tuppence a rag,

Tuppence, Tuppence, she's such a drag.

All around the DL site,

You can hear this damn cat fight,

All provoked by a shut-in troll.

And although she's retarded,

You'd think someone farted---

Evr'y time this cunt opens her hole.

Feed the troll, that's what we cry---

Tuppence, tuppence... Why won't she die?

by Anonymousreply 63January 12, 2015 11:54 PM

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay,

You don't deserve to live unless you're gay.

Breeders are scumbags, that much is true.

Kill them all, starting with R62.

by Anonymousreply 64January 12, 2015 11:59 PM

I'll take that candle on the water

And shove it up R61/R63's ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 13, 2015 12:00 AM

[quote]Breeders are scumbags, here's my decree:

[quote]Kill them all, starting with [R63].

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 66January 13, 2015 12:04 AM

[quote]What is sexist about Sister Suffragette? Quite the opposite.

"Although we adore men individually,

We feel, as a group, they're pretty stupid"

How is that not sexist against men? Man-bashing isn't feminism. And Mrs. Banks is a lousy feminist if she gives up the cause and accepts her place as a housewife just to appease that asshole she married who should have jumped in the river. And how many people would actually be able to read those sashes tied to those kites?

This is the most overrated film ever made.

[quote]And those Ellenshaw mattes are to die for.

Ellenshaw was indeed a genius, but his talents are wasted on bringing the unreadable work of that malignant narcissist Helen Lyndon Goff to the screen. And so was everyone else's.

[quote]Kirk is a bitter queen. He was a full fledge raging druggie for years before Disney booted him. And he simply outgrew his childish looks.

You'd do drugs, too, if your parents were Southern Baptist and you were being turned into a pawn of the heterosexual agenda.

by Anonymousreply 67January 13, 2015 12:10 AM

[quote]She was "awfully familiar" with all those smelly, dirty chimney sweeps.

And all this time I thought she was a dyke.

by Anonymousreply 68January 13, 2015 12:11 AM

I hate poppers...

by Anonymousreply 69January 13, 2015 12:13 AM

This movie is also responsible for sagging. Did anyone else do that before Bert pulled his pants down and danced with those offensively stereotypical gay penguin waiters? The rumor that it started in prison is a racist lie. As a result, we've lost a generation of young men's asses to the insidious trend of sagging.

by Anonymousreply 70January 13, 2015 12:16 AM

'Man-bashing isn't feminism.'

How can you speak about feminism when have no idea what it is. You haven't read Adrienne Rich.

by Anonymousreply 71January 13, 2015 12:19 AM

[quote] those offensively stereotypical gay penguin waiters

Huh? How are they gay?

by Anonymousreply 72January 13, 2015 12:20 AM

[quote]Huh? How are they gay?

Their mannerisms make us look butch in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 73January 13, 2015 12:22 AM

[quote]And don't get me started on Dick Van Dyke and his borderline racist accent

Yes, how dare that Dutch-American denigrate the traditional English cockney.

by Anonymousreply 74January 13, 2015 12:24 AM

R73 They're just playful and childlike animals. There's nothing gay about them.

If they were gay they wouldn't be so taken with Mary, they'd probably serve her grudgingly and mutter "frau" behind her back.

by Anonymousreply 75January 13, 2015 12:29 AM

[quote]Caring about Mr. Banks is like caring about Gordon Gekko.

Banks is just a workaday bowler hat schmuck who walks to work. I'm liquid.

by Anonymousreply 76January 13, 2015 12:36 AM

They have the same basic morals, R76.

by Anonymousreply 77January 13, 2015 12:39 AM

R77 Unlike Banks, Gekko is incapable of redemption (see Wall Street 2) If Banks was like Gekko, in the final scene he'd suddenly turn nasty again and cut the kite string.

by Anonymousreply 78January 13, 2015 12:45 AM

R77 I resent that remark. A British bank is run with precision. Tradition, discipline and rules must be the tools, not insider dealing, industrial espionage, stock fraud! In short you'd have a ghastly mess!

by Anonymousreply 79January 13, 2015 12:51 AM

There's a teacher in the school where I work,who, to encourage the children to hasten says "spit-spot!" a la Mary Poppins. I want to shoot her in the head when I hear it. I was not a big fan of the film as a child, although I loved sister suffragette. And who doesn't love Reta Shaw.

by Anonymousreply 80January 13, 2015 1:06 AM

If you hate Mary Poppins you are simply taking it too seriously. I look at it as silly, child-pleasing campy, guilty pleasure type of movie. You need to learn to laugh at silliness, OP.

by Anonymousreply 81January 13, 2015 1:27 AM

I saw the film as a child and was bored by it. Was dragged to the stage play as an adult and fell asleep. I had really looked forward to the film, too.

by Anonymousreply 82January 13, 2015 1:35 AM

[quote]How can you speak about feminism when have no idea what it is. You haven't read Adrienne Rich.

I know of no intelligent definition of feminism that necessitates reading Adrienne Rich or reading any theorist.

by Anonymousreply 83January 13, 2015 1:59 AM

OK conveniently ignore one the foremost feminist writers of the 20th century.

Your are clearly too intelligent for feminist theory.

by Anonymousreply 84January 13, 2015 3:21 AM

I love the movie and as a kid enjoyed the books very much. The stage show was a forced collaboration between Disney and the Travers estate, and it is incredibly awful. Still, not sure why the film is so abhorrent to you, I find it delightful!

by Anonymousreply 85January 13, 2015 3:27 AM

Did you enjoy "Summer Magic", OP?

by Anonymousreply 86January 13, 2015 3:54 AM

R86, Summer Magic is a neglected gem. It's not a great film but it is bursting with warmth, charm, and likable characters. Even at this late date I wish someone write a sequel. I would love to see more of the Carey family and their friends in Beulah.

by Anonymousreply 87January 13, 2015 8:08 AM

get a blog

by Anonymousreply 88January 13, 2015 8:36 AM

[quote]Did you enjoy "Summer Magic", OP?

Yes. I liked the songs, but I felt sorry for Hayley Mills' little brother being forced to cut his hair after bullies teased him for his shoulder-length cut, just like Johnny in[italic]Song of the South[/italic], a film that deserves none of the vilification it has received over its 69 years of existence, got beat up by those two redneck boys for his lace shirt collar.

[quote]If you hate Mary Poppins you have good taste, discernment, and very high intelligence.

Fixed. And by the way, it's not just the movie that sucks: every version of this media sucks. The books suck. The movie sucks. The play, they are actually subjecting us to this spring where I live, sucks even more. It is impossible to make anything genuinely good out of this source material, and if Walt Disney couldn't do it, no one can. The non-made-up word "meretricious" comes to mind. Julie Andrews was just as badly miscast as Dick Van Dyke; she's too young and too nice, but the latter is the script's fault. Angela Lansbury and Tommy Steele would have been better, but they'd have been wasted, too. The source material is the problem, but I might have more respect for this sappy, manipulative, criminally overpraised debacle and its horrible morals if Walt had at least tried to make her the stone-cold bitch she was in the books, but he tried to have it both ways. As a result, she comes off schizophrenic. Considering magic isn't real in real life, would you trust your children to someone like that?

George H.W. Bush watched the VHS tape of this in the White House with his grandchildren. Considering his son, who bailed out the banks and kept from being put in cages like they should have been, had the same initials as George W. Banks. That's what I mean when I say this film's impact has been disastrous at best. It's not even better than any of the films made to capitalize on its success, not even that awful vegetarianist propaganda known as [italic]Doctor Doolittle[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 89January 13, 2015 2:47 PM

I would watch Mary Poppins ten times in a row before I would EVER watch The Sound of Music even one more time.

by Anonymousreply 90January 13, 2015 2:53 PM

'a film that deserves none of the vilification it has received over its 69 years of existence'

Well I agree with you there. I saw Song a few times before it was pulled and I thought it delightful. I have no idea what people found offensive in it. The character Ruth Warwick plays dressing down Remus? It is very clear she is a narrow minded person who has no idea what Remus is giving the children.

The ban is truly unfortunate and terribly misguided.

by Anonymousreply 91January 13, 2015 3:01 PM

R90 has baby tastes. I can watch [italic]The Sound of Music[/italic] over and over again and still find new things to like about it. That's the one Julie should have won the Oscar for. Hell, I'd rather watch [italic]Star![/italic] or [italic]Darling Lili[/italic] than this. [italic]Poppins[/italic] just makes me want to kill people, particularly the "teachers" who abused me while forcing us to watch this film in class (separate incidents of course).

And I've never met anyone who liked this film who wasn't fucked up in the head in some way. The only part of that Tom Hanks/Emma "Habima" Thompson debacle that had any emotional truth at all was the screenwriters' invention: the scene where Paul Giamatti's character tells Mrs. Goff how much his disabled daughter's loves the book.

Seriously, read Ron Suskind's book [italic]Life, Animated[/italic]. Then you'll see why all that "can't see past the end of his nose" crap is so offensive to the point of being ableist.

And Bert needed very desperately to get a clue about Mary's lack of interest in his inappropriate advances.

by Anonymousreply 92January 13, 2015 3:06 PM

R90 has wonderful taste!!!!

by Anonymousreply 93January 13, 2015 3:11 PM

R93 and R90 are one and the same. Nice try, though.

by Anonymousreply 94January 13, 2015 3:13 PM

I love love love Poppins but despite your intense hatred for it which I find incomprehensible you do know your Disney musicals!

by Anonymousreply 95January 13, 2015 3:17 PM

[quote]I love love love Poppins but despite your intense hatred for it which I find incomprehensible you do know your Disney musicals!

I suspect the same post-production executive demands for cuts that happened on the later ones also happened on [italic]Into the Woods[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 96January 13, 2015 3:20 PM

I don't like any of that Disney shit, nor musicals. Not one bit.

by Anonymousreply 97January 13, 2015 3:24 PM

[quote]I don't like any of that Disney shit, nor musicals. Not one bit.

Then you're missing out on plenty of hot male dancers in tight pants.

by Anonymousreply 98January 13, 2015 3:26 PM

Try the Silly Symphonies 'The Band Concert' and 'Mickey's Fire Brigade.'

They are brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 99January 13, 2015 3:29 PM

[quote]Then you're missing out on plenty of hot male dancers in tight pants.

In a world flowing over the brim with men who do nothing but go to the gym to sculpt their bodies the better to show off their cocks and holes and all the rest, suffering through some dim-witted musical to watch men in tights flit about seems the most complicated, most expensive, most time-consuming route to the vaguest suggestion of a reward.

by Anonymousreply 100January 13, 2015 3:34 PM

R17....I saw it at the St. Francis in 1964 with my mother too (San Francisco).

I fell in love with JA also.

We are connected...

by Anonymousreply 101January 13, 2015 3:39 PM

Animation historian Michael Barrier is critical of the film in his biography of Walt Disney, but his is the most objective compared to all the hagiographies and hatchet jobs out there. He also criticizes [italic]Pinocchio[/italic] and [italic]Fantasia[/italic], which is where him and I part ways. Barrier also tries to minimize the cultural impact of Disneyland, and suspects that if Walt's original plans for EPCOT went through, it would inevitably become totalitarian. At least he's good at getting his facts correct.

by Anonymousreply 102January 13, 2015 3:40 PM

[quote]I did not like the play very much, however.

The Sherman Brothers didn't either. In Robert B. Sherman's autobiography [italic]Moose[/italic], they admitted they thought Stiles & Drew's work there was substandard for them.

by Anonymousreply 103January 13, 2015 3:41 PM

Disney needs to release Sammy the Way Out Seal with a typically wonderful performance from DL icon Jack Carson.

by Anonymousreply 104January 13, 2015 4:03 PM

I agree. Mary Poppins was a bucket of droppins.

by Anonymousreply 105January 13, 2015 4:05 PM

[quote]Disney needs to release Sammy the Way Out Seal with a typically wonderful performance from DL icon Jack Carson.

That son of a bitch tried to eat me.

by Anonymousreply 106January 13, 2015 4:05 PM

At least I never pretended that sugar was good for you.

by Anonymousreply 107January 13, 2015 4:06 PM

The OP has yet to explain why Dick van Dyke's Cockney accent is "racist," even though he's been asked multiple times.

by Anonymousreply 108January 13, 2015 4:16 PM

[quote]The OP has yet to explain why Dick van Dyke's Cockney accent is "racist," even though he's been asked multiple times.

I said "borderline racist," meaning it lack of accuracy is such that it becomes as offensive a mockery of the East End dialect as it would be to make fun of African-American Vernacular English or any other patois. To his credit, Van Dyke admits he didn't even come close to the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 109January 13, 2015 4:19 PM

[quote]In a world flowing over the brim with men who do nothing but go to the gym to sculpt their bodies the better to show off their cocks and holes and all the rest, suffering through some dim-witted musical to watch men in tights flit about seems the most complicated, most expensive, most time-consuming route to the vaguest suggestion of a reward.

Then watch one that isn't dim-witted. One with a script that makes sense and songs that are both good in an of themselves and actually have something to do with the story and character motivations.

by Anonymousreply 110January 13, 2015 4:23 PM

In and of themselves, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 111January 13, 2015 4:27 PM

R109 It can't be "racist" if you're mocking people who are of the same race as you, can it?

by Anonymousreply 112January 13, 2015 7:05 PM

[quote]It can't be "racist" if you're mocking people who are of the same race as you, can it?

Would you prefer culturally clueless, inauthentic (and for a movie that spent a lot of money on period sets, costumes and props), and jarring to the ear?

Bottom line: the love and praise for this film is so far out of proportion to its merits, it is absurd and obscene, especially considering how the studio has shortchanged other films like it.

by Anonymousreply 113January 13, 2015 7:10 PM

R109 And don't be so naive, mocking white English people is never ever considered as bad as mocking black people.

by Anonymousreply 114January 13, 2015 7:12 PM

[quote]And don't be so naive, mocking white English people is never ever considered as bad as mocking black people.

It's still offensive and annoying as well as a tad classist. "Hushabye Mountain" would have been a laughingstock if he had done it again in [italic]Chitty[/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 13, 2015 7:16 PM

R115 I'd bet good money that no Londoner has ever been genuinely offended by Dick Van Dyke's accent in this film. Nor should they be. Political correctness can be a double standard at times.

by Anonymousreply 116January 13, 2015 7:23 PM

[quote]Political correctness

I rest my case, Buford.

by Anonymousreply 117January 13, 2015 7:36 PM

Most likely Disney was taking a page out of the book of Lionel Bart at the time.

Oliver! was just released as a West-End/Broadway production in 1960 (itself adapted into a 1968 musical film) and people were embracing this Cockney Knees Up sensation and by the sound of things Disney wanted a piece of it. Being a Dickens adaptation Disney probably backed away from it in favour of MP. It's probably why Dyke's accent was very Oliver!esque.

by Anonymousreply 118January 26, 2015 9:24 PM

I am 49 (soon to be 50) and definitely missing the "musical gay gene." I have no tolerance for musical films or theater.

The only musical I have ever been able to watch in its entirety was "The Wizard of Oz" a couple of times on TV as a kid in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 119January 26, 2015 10:15 PM

Do you like opera, music, drama, comedies? Is it just people breaking out in song interrupting the action that bothers you?

I'm missing the disco and Madonna genes.

Nice idea for a thread. What gay gene are you missing?

by Anonymousreply 120January 26, 2015 10:49 PM

[quote]Do you like opera, music, drama, comedies? Is it just people breaking out in song interrupting the action that bothers you?

Yes, I like all of those, and I'm not bothered by people breaking out in song "interrupting the action." It's supposed to move the action forward. Here, there is no action to move forward.

And can you believe Disney actually wants Rob Marshall to make a sequel to this shit? There's no way this will be a good movie. The source material makes that impossible. But they deserve each other: a bad director and a bad writer.

by Anonymousreply 121September 15, 2015 2:11 AM

It's just too long a movie. Ive never been able to watch the whole thing in one sitting. I invariably fall asleep

by Anonymousreply 122September 15, 2015 2:20 AM

Most ridiculous thing I've read all week, spending so much time and energy hating not only a beloved musical but the whimsical and delightfully, adorably smug heroine played by Miss Julie Andrews. Isn't enough to simply NOT LIKE it and STFU about it? To spend so much time and expend so much energy expressing and writhing in this strange obsession/hatred makes me feel like OP needs to get laid. :/

by Anonymousreply 123September 15, 2015 5:26 AM

I've never liked it. I do like this Mary Poppins though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 15, 2015 6:46 AM

[quote]Isn't enough to simply NOT LIKE it and STFU about it?

It would be if it were an obscure film that flopped at the box office and barely gets released on video. But when the rat factory keeps shoving it down our throats, it's a little bit difficult to drown it out. That Rob Marshall thing is one of the top 10 Twitter trends, and I can't mute the list of trends. They're the ones who need to STFU.

This movie is way too flawed to be taken seriously as any kind of a classic. That woman is not whimsical or delightful. She's smarmy, smug, an authoritarian, a pathological liar, an obfuscator, a murderess, and a snotty, humorless bitch who's a total wet blanket at the tea party (that whole sequence is a poor man's version of a similar one in [italic]Alice in Wonderland[/italic] anyway). And Bert's sexual overtures to her are fucking creepy. And as far as I'm concerned, the whole Banks family can die in a blitzkrieg. That's another sign of a bad film: no characters to care about. Even the animation is inferior to every other Disney live-action/animation hybrid before or since.

I [italic]love[/italic] Disney films and musicals. Always have. When I was a kid, I was a huge Disney fan; lucky for me I grew up during the so-called "Disney Renaissance" of the late 1980s and early 1990s. I went to the parks, saw the movies, watched the TV shows; I practically bled mouse blood. But I was always suspicious of the hype surrounding this film, and the more I saw it, and the more I saw how many superior Disney films were practically unknown to the same people who worship this film, the more I grew to hate it as I realized the gap between the film's reputation and the reality of its poorly structured plot, annoying songs from people who pulled better stuff than this out of their asses, emotionally fascistic messages, stealth racism (The juxtaposition of blacked-up chimney sweeps constantly shout-singing "Step in Time" makes me think of Stepin Fetchit. Hazard of the trade, I know, but then Admiral Boom shoots at them believing them to be Khoikhoi, whom he calls "Hottentots", made me sick), and its straw woman caricatures of feminism.

Watching this movie is like being tied up and held captive on an "It's A Small World" boat for 2 hours and 20 minutes while the boat is stuck in one of the white people countries. And I always liked "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow," "The Tiki Room" and "Pirates of The Caribbean" better than that anyway.

[quote]OP needs to get laid

My ex-boyfriend loved this movie and kept dropping its name at inappropriate times. He's my ex-boyfriend for other reasons (untrustworthiness and general stupidity due to brain damage being among them), but his arbitrary mentions of that film sent a sour feeling to the pit of my stomach. It's the same sour feeling I get whenever I hear Britney Spears try to sing or look at black velvet paintings.

I don't care how many people like it; they are all wrong. They should lock this movie up instead of [italic]Song of the South[/italic]. This movie doesn't need a remake or a sequel: it needs to be unmade. It needs to retroactively cease to exist at every level, starting with the source material. Helen Lyndon Goff was right to hate this film, but she was part of the problem: the books were just as lousy in their own way. They are unreadable, and it makes me sick how much time and money Walt wasted trying to please that narcissistic harridan. You'd never miss it if it went away, and if you did, then you'd know how I feel about the superior movies Disney has butchered or suppressed.

I just came across this guy who had some good points about what a horrible person she is and what a bad influence she is on everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 16, 2015 12:17 PM

[quote]Non-qualifiable hyperbole and an ableist insult. I guess you didn't see the scene in Saving Mr. Bunk where Paul Giamatti's character revealed to that woman how his disabled daughter loves the books.

That character was fictional, i.e. made up for the film. He and his lame daughter never existed.

by Anonymousreply 126January 7, 2016 6:36 AM

[quote]Matthew Garber died at the age of 21. In David Tomlinson's autobiography, he suspects it was drugs.

Then that's insensitive of Tomlinson, because Garber died haemorrhagic necrotising pancreatitis. He'd contracted hepatitis in India the previous year. That's why you should take all your shots before you vacation there.

by Anonymousreply 127January 7, 2016 6:39 AM

OP, you sound like you're mentally ill. Seriously, you need help.

And no one cares what you think.

by Anonymousreply 128January 7, 2016 6:41 AM

Bedknobs and Broomsticks > Mary Poppins

by Anonymousreply 129January 7, 2016 6:41 AM

R118 Disney had been wanting to make a film version of MARY POPPINS for over 20 years, when his daughters introduced him to the books. He first tried to get the rights from Travers in 1938, but she outright refused. Undaunted, he continued to pursue her off and on for the next 23 years, until she finally relented in 1961. The success of OLIVER! in London in 1960 had nothing to do with it. Remember, this was way before the Internet and social media. The musical didn't make its way to Broadway until 1962, and by then MP had been in pre-production for 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 130January 7, 2016 6:44 AM

I think OP is hilarious, like those droning book reviewers who attack literary classics just so people will pay them some attention.

OP doubtlessly was raised on later pop culture like Britney Spears and Grease, or some other crap.

I find the film to be trippy: talking umbrellas, a magic purse, getting literally high at tea, jumping into chalk paintings, animated clean-up sessions. It's a hoot!

OP needs to go fly a kite.

by Anonymousreply 131January 7, 2016 6:54 AM

[quote] Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Pete's Dragon, The Happiest Millionaire, The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band, Song of the South, So Dear to My Heart, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, Hello, Dolly, Annie, Grease, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Wizard of Oz every Muppet movie made when Jim Henson was alive, every Disney animated movie made prior to 1995 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> M--- P------

Fixed. This thread proves not only that that movie and everything based on those shitty books suck but that its fans are ableist assholes who are intolerant of a differing opinion even when it provides facts to back it up.

[quote]talking umbrellas

That's why that awful, treacly POS "Feed the Birds" rings hollow: it's coming from someone who killed a bird to make it into her umbrella handle.

[quote]getting literally high at tea

[italic]Alice in Wonderland[/italic] did it better.

Mary Jo had a very funny takedown of this crappy movie on [italic]Designing Women[/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 24, 2016 1:21 PM

[quote]OP doubtlessly was raised on later pop culture like Britney Spears and Grease, or some other crap.

I think I hate Britney Spears even more as I hate umbrella bitch, but umbrella bitch has been around longer.

by Anonymousreply 133January 24, 2016 1:22 PM

I always fall asleep during the movie. I've never been able to watch it all the way through

by Anonymousreply 134January 24, 2016 2:05 PM

No, OP. I thought she was a passive-aggressive CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 135January 24, 2016 2:10 PM

[quote]don't get me started on Dick Van Dyke and his borderline racist accent

Now, now, stop grilling OP about this. Umbrage and logic seldom walk hand in hand.

by Anonymousreply 136January 24, 2016 2:15 PM

Bedkobs and Broomsticks is a much stronger film, with real heart to it. The WWII setting gives it a sense of gravitas, Professor Emelius Brown's moral awakening is more convincing than that of Mr. Banks. Mary Poppins never transcends being a loosely tied collection of rambling short stories.

Oh, and Angela Landsbury > Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 137January 24, 2016 2:15 PM

*bedknobs

by Anonymousreply 138January 24, 2016 2:15 PM

[quote]Song of the South, a film that deserves none of the vilification it has received over its 69 years of existence

Whitesplaining away Song of the South? Shut up, anti-Poppins loon. You are now officially in no position to comment on the worth of anything.

by Anonymousreply 139November 1, 2016 8:16 PM

I don't understand the hate for Dick Van Dyke's performance. He did everything but shoot skyrockets out his ass to bring some life and energy to the damned thing, and he seems to be the only member of the cast who got the memo that they were making a movie to entertain little kids.

I mean, when you open the script and see that your big scene is dancing with animated penguins it's pretty obvious they aren't looking to you for nuance.

by Anonymousreply 140November 1, 2016 8:37 PM

I don't think most of the people who say Song of the South was "unjustly maligned" have seen it recently. They're either going on old memories from childhood or never even saw the film.

I watched it because of this thread (which is from 2014) and, no surprise, it's racist. Not even "racist now but acceptable in its day" but racist for its time.

by Anonymousreply 141November 1, 2016 8:38 PM

How does a nanny, au pair, governess,

And a nursemaid, called Mary,

In charge of the care and keeping of the Banks' kids,

20 years later fall for a lamplighter,

The genius Lin Manuel Miranda,

Lin Manuel Miranda,

London's lights wait for you,

[Just you wait]

Waiting to be lit by you,

[Just you wait]

Lin Manuel Miranda!

by Anonymousreply 142November 1, 2016 8:51 PM

R139, you shut up you racist ableist prick and stop projecting your bigotry onto others. You proved what horrible people MP fans are. I have seen it recently multiple times. Not only is it not racist, but that Umbrella Bitch is one of the most racist Disney movies ever made and one of the most racist movies ever made. For one thing, the whole cast is lily white. And that fucking song with all the white chimney sweeps dancing with blacked up faces in 1964 is fucking vile, especially after the bombings in Alabama, especially with them singing "step in" all the time, as in Stepin Fetchit. SOTS' critics are the racist ones and they're projecting their own racism onto the film's supporters, including Floyd Norman, Disney's first black animator, who worked on both of Robert Stevenson's musicals. It is a fucking classic with wonderful songs and stories and brilliant animation; once you see that, all the similarities between the other hybrids start to make sense: they're all ripping off Uncle Remus, which makes the film's unavailability disingenuous. It's been effectively embargoed in the US for two decades, and now we've got Donald fucking Drumpf. WB has also downplayed Speedy Gonzales in the US despite his popularity in Latin America, and now I've never heard as much racism against Mexicans as I've heard in my adult life. Watching this movie made me realize that if this is treated as something that needs to be hidden away, then we still have not overcome and we never will until this movie is made available everywhere forever.

And I'm not white. Don't you ever accuse me of being white.

[quote]I don't understand the hate for Dick Van Dyke's performance.

It's hammy and annoying that's why. He fucking tries too goddamn hard. Even in [italic]Bye Bye Birdie[/italic] and [italic]Chitty[/italic] he didn't try too hard and those are much easier to take. And as for those stupid penguins, I liked Pablo the Penguin from [italic]The Three Caballeros[/italic] much better because he's not a homophobic stereotype created right around the time they threw Tommy Kirk's career on the sword to cover their asses. Why isn't that on Blu-ray when they can re-release Snow WHITE over and over again?

Oh, and R137, if I didn't already have a boyfriend I'd ask you to marry me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 1, 2016 8:51 PM

Angela Lansbury, Helen Reddy, Sally Ann Howes, Lesley Ann Warren, Shani Wallis, Olivia Newton-John, Barbra Streisand, Hattie McDaniel, Janet Blair > Julie Andrews. Heck, anyone who still has any singing voice left after the age of 60 is a better singer than Julie Andrews. Hell, she and Barry Manilow went to the same voice doctor and Manilow didn't lose his voice.

by Anonymousreply 144November 1, 2016 8:54 PM

[italic]So Dear to My Heart[/italic] makes a hero out of that land-robber Christopher Columbus and makes the film's three black actors into tokens, yet [italic]Song of the South[/italic] is considered more problematic.

One of the things I always liked about [italic]Song of the South[/italic] was the fact that none of the Br'ers had any girlfriends. Johnny was obviously proto-gay; he wears a lace shirt collar and gets beat up for it, and his only other white friend is a girl who is the sister of his bullies. It is that bullying that inspired him to seek Uncle Remus' advice. And this is the same advice he gives to the black children, too. By trying to throw him off the plantation—this would probably not happen if slavery were still a thing—Miss Sally is not just depriving Johnny of the benefit of his wisdom, but all the black children there, too, including Toby.

And if Walt was so fucking racist, explain how he approved this or won two Bnai Brith awards:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 1, 2016 9:02 PM

The gay editor of SaveDisney defends the film:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 1, 2016 9:10 PM

If Germany can handle having both this film on VHS and its nihilistic Ralph Bakshi parody [italic]Coonskin[/italic] on Blu-ray, so can the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147November 1, 2016 9:10 PM

Alice Walker, who bashed the film in an editorial during its 1980 reissue (the same year [italic]Stir Crazy[/italic] became the first film by a black director to gross $100 million) is a hypocritical anti-semitic bitch and her Jewish husband is a self-loathing cuck. Later, she banned her books from being released in Israel or printed in Hebrew because she sided with the oppressor class. Israelis can console themselves because they got [italic]Song of the South[/italic] on VHS when Europe and Japan did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 1, 2016 9:14 PM

I loved "Mary Poppins" the movie but enjoyed the books even more. They're so trippy. I loved the wooden people Nellie Rubina and Uncle Dodger who bring spring by sticking wooden birds and flowers in Regent's Park.

Here's MP bowing to a big turtle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149November 1, 2016 9:29 PM

I happen to think Disney's "Mary Poppins" film is highly enjoyable, if a little too long. Multiple interlocking themes, a witty, sarcastic script, great cast including many British actors, special effects that were state of the art at the time, and of course a long list of memorable songs. Kind of feel sorry for someone who can't find something in there somewhere to enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 150November 1, 2016 10:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!