Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, do you remember when Haiti was a popular gay destination?

According to Jacques Pepin's book "The Origin of AIDS" Haiti was a popular location for gay travelers, especially those that wanted to have sex with teenage boys (Cuba had served this purpose before but after Castro that island became off limits, so the trade shifted to Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Now of course people go to Thailand for that sort of thing.)

"Patient Zero" Gaetan Dugas was one of the gay men who visited the island for gay holidays.

Pepin estimates that HIV came to Haiti from Zaire in 1966 and was exported from Haiti to the US around 1969.

by Anonymousreply 1106/22/2014

When AIDS was first being reported, there were three at-risk groups: homosexuals, hemophiliacs, and Haitians.

I remember one of the very few jokes that existed at that time:

Q: What's the hardest part about telling your parents you have AIDS? A: Convincing them that you're Haitian.

by Anonymousreply 106/22/2014

Jacques Pépin the French TV cooking show chef wrote an AIDS epidemiology book?

by Anonymousreply 206/22/2014

I never heard of a connection between gay men and Haiti pre-GRID.

by Anonymousreply 306/22/2014

It's not true. Haiti was never a big place for gay sex tourism. EVER.

by Anonymousreply 406/22/2014

r2 Quelle surprise, non?

by Anonymousreply 506/22/2014

I suspect that Haiti was always like Jamaica and other black-Carribean nations, in hating Gays with exceptional vigor. I can't believe it was ever a gay vaca destination the way some places have been.

by Anonymousreply 606/22/2014

I do remember it being a minor gay destination. In fact, one of my dearest friends, suspecting he might have the aids, told me he was thinking bout moving there and fucking himself to death. I haven't heard from him since 1985.

by Anonymousreply 706/22/2014

I'm watching Angels in America (the HBO miniseries) and Roy Cohn mentions a vacation to Haiti in the first part… coincidence much?

by Anonymousreply 806/22/2014

For gays, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic were far more popular than unsanitary and poverty-stricken Haiti.

The idea that AIDS was brought to the U.S. mainland from Haiti by pedophilic gays was just another part of the homophobic narrative that has surrounded this disease since the early 80's.

by Anonymousreply 906/22/2014

Haiti was one of the places for gays in the 70's, I remember there was a gay bar, and some of the hotels were very nice. The creole population was the elite ruling class, Baby Doc et,al, it was all very elegant with the creoles, and very safe for gays.

by Anonymousreply 1006/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!