Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Madonna pick up a British accent?

What was the whole point of that, I was actually embarrassed FOR her when she was doing it. Did I miss the point, was it supposed to be a joke? Gwyneth was married to a British guy and lived in the UK too, why didn't she pick up an accent? Why didn't Lourdes?

If an adult picks up an accent at all, is it just an affectation or does the voice really change depending on where they live? I figured once a speech pattern is set in adulthood it wouldn't change unless you pretended it did.

by Anonymousreply 4605/20/2014

She started doing it in the early 90s. The woman has a personality disorder. Nothing about her is genuine. She's totally lost and has tried to create a personality. Her accent is part of that. She admitted to having been in therapy. She needs to drop the Kabbalah bullshit and sit on a shrink's couch!

by Anonymousreply 105/17/2014

R1, it's like Sharon Osbourne said, Madonna is a cunt. One minute she will be a hindu, the next day she is Christian. She is the ultimate phoney.

by Anonymousreply 205/17/2014

She didnt

by Anonymousreply 305/17/2014

Well, she is a trifle pretentious

by Anonymousreply 405/17/2014

Because we're living in a satirical world, and she's a remedial girl.

by Anonymousreply 505/17/2014

She's from DETROIT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 605/17/2014

[quote[If an adult picks up an accent at all, is it just an affectation or does the voice really change depending on where they live?

It really depends on the person. Some people can "hear" accents and pick them up with some training; others either can't hear the difference or aren't interested in training their mouths to move a new way.

Remember: all speakers are accented whether they like it or not--there is no such thing as speaking without an accent of some kind.

by Anonymousreply 705/17/2014

Attachment Theory, while living in England, may explain her accent. I'm guessing her current behavior is from her attachments as a fairground stripper.

by Anonymousreply 805/17/2014

It sounded horrible and made her sound even more pretentious and affected than usual. She tried to reinvent herself as a British Jew and it didn't quite work out!

by Anonymousreply 905/17/2014

Her latest photos make it look like she's trying to reinvent herself as a corpse

by Anonymousreply 1005/17/2014

When I was young, insecure, and desperate to be liked, I would pick up the accents of people I wanted to like me. Even at the time I was embarrassed for myself, but I couldn't really stop doing it.

More recently, I went to England and was thrilled to be surrounded by so many cool accents and speech patterns. When I was young I would have started talking like everyone around me, but as I'm old and contrarian I found myself almost exaggerating my American accent.

by Anonymousreply 1105/17/2014

Why did Rod Stewart pick up an Alabama accent?

by Anonymousreply 1205/17/2014

Madonna tried to have a Brooklyn accent when she moved to NYC. Then she became obsessed with Latino culture. Debi Mazar (who was Madonna's friend and/or roommate back in the day) said in 2000 that she was surprised that Madonna ended up marrying an Englishman because she was so into the hot Latin men.

The point is, Madonna went through various phases in her life-- New York urchin, blonde bombshell, dominatrix, etc. The whole English manor thing was a phase that went on for too long (almost a decade).

by Anonymousreply 1305/17/2014

I still don't think she's using her natural voice. Even if she dropped most of the fake accent, she is using some mannered almost academic speaking style. Trying to sound sophisticated and almost bored by the world around her.

by Anonymousreply 1405/17/2014

She's from Detroit! Of course she's not using her natural accent!

by Anonymousreply 1505/17/2014

I actually sound almost exactly like Madonna when she uses her regular accent

I lived in England for 2 yrs and lived with a British boyfriend for another 5 yrs in America. Occasionally I might have sounded like I had a tiny bit of an accent. Just occasionally, and only when I was talking about something and using English terms. Rather bizarrely, I unconsciously found myself thinking in an English accent. I always replied in my regular NY style accent. I don't know if it makes sense, but it's been 10 yrs since I've dated him and my mind still thinks in an English accent. I don't do it consciously.

by Anonymousreply 1605/17/2014

Because she graduated cum laude from the 'McFarland method' school, where "acting is attracting". Well, in her case "acting is distracting".

by Anonymousreply 1705/17/2014

Madonna may fuck Latin, but she marries white

by Anonymousreply 1805/18/2014

[quote]it's like Sharon Osbourne said, Madonna is a cunt.

That's rich coming from a phony gash like her.

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2014

Kylie Minogue's Brit accent is equally fake-sounding.

by Anonymousreply 2005/18/2014

[quote]Madonna may fuck Latin, but she marries white

I've found that interesting as well. She loves to fuck black and latino men, but doesn't think they're good enough to marry. Typical white person.

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2014

[quote] She loves to fuck black and latino men, but doesn't think they're good enough to marry. Typical white person.

She had a kid with a latino. Didn't he work in a gym - she was hardly going to marry him.

by Anonymousreply 2205/18/2014

"Madonna may fuck Latin, but she marries white"

"I've found that interesting as well. She loves to fuck black and latino men, but doesn't think they're good enough to marry. Typical white person."

As Blair accurately told her classist boyfriend after he gloated that he nearly assaulted Jo on a golf course green: "So there are girls you marry and girls you...don't"

by Anonymousreply 2305/18/2014

Aside from the pretentious affectation of a British accent, after being in the UK for about 45 minutes, here is what I thought was even more laughable..

At the time, she said she preferred living in London to the US, because the UK had less crime & was less violent than America.

Shortly thereafter, someone broke into her house in the middle of the night, while she & her family were sleeping, took her car keys & drove off with it & other valuables.

I remember thinking, the phrase, "karma is a bitch", was made for exactly that type of moment.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2014

She seems to be one of a handful of celebs that have a try hard pretentious West London accent, like Gwyneth Paltrow, Johnny Depp, Angie Jolie and Kevin Spacey, so try hard that they are no longer capable of portraying a convincing US accent.

by Anonymousreply 2505/18/2014

Madonna's real accent is that nasally almost-Canadian sounding working class Bay City accent she had when she first started. Before she became a Londoner, she tried hard to sound like a NY'er.

I miss ghetto working class Madonna with Rosie O'Donnell and Sandra Bernhard as her peers. How funny she befriended Gwyneth and Stella in London. I always find it amusing when people think class is about imitation.

by Anonymousreply 2605/18/2014

She believes in nothing that won't get her attention.

by Anonymousreply 2705/18/2014

And it isn't even a good accent. She sounds like an idiot using a British accent.

Some people can pick up accents so easily, use them and sound convincing. Madonna isn't one of those people.

And the reason she does is because she thinks it's cool and is desperate to appear cool.

by Anonymousreply 2805/18/2014

Was it Madonna or Gwynneth who went on record saying that culture in the UK was superior to America? Cunts. Meanwhile neither of them made their British marriages last.

by Anonymousreply 2905/18/2014

R30, Goop:

[quote]On America vs. Europe: “We have great dinner parties at which everyone sits around talking about politics, history, art and literature—all this peppered with really funny jokes. But back in America, I was at a party and a girl looked at me and said, ‘Oh, my God! Are those Juicy jeans that you’re wearing?’ and I thought, I can’t stay here. I have to get back to Europe.”

She's said other ridiculous things about the US v. the UK but what do you expect from someone who barely graduated high school? Other people may have been talking about politics, history, art and literature, she just sat there.

by Anonymousreply 3005/18/2014

[quote]I remember thinking, the phrase, "karma is a bitch", was made for exactly that type of moment.

Which especially fits her, because so is she.

by Anonymousreply 3105/18/2014

Oh, easy one. Madonna is an affected piece of shit desperate for attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3205/18/2014

I think she thought it made her sound smart.

(bitch be crazy)

by Anonymousreply 3305/18/2014

R31, I remember Gwyn saying that. How does she not understand that it's not where you are but the company you keep? I've been to friends' dinner parties -- or even cookouts -- where we had great talks about politics, history, art and literature -- and I live in podunk Massachusetts.

Another thing she said was that Europe is better because they've got buildings that are 1,000+ years old whereas in America it only dates back to the 1600s. She sounded very uneducated because she completely forgot about Native Americans and Amerindians who've resided in NOrth and South America and the Caribbean for millenniums and have structures even impressive buildings that older than Stonehenge.

by Anonymousreply 3405/19/2014

All the Europeans I know are hard drinking partying Eurotrash. And yeah when you mention politics or literature I know one guy who either says "No offense but I don't care" or "yeah, whatever."

by Anonymousreply 3505/19/2014

She thinks it sounds intellectual. Be grateful she didn't take on a Hebrew accent with her involvement with the Kaballah cult.

by Anonymousreply 3605/19/2014

After living in the UK for a few months, I noticed that I had started mimicking the speech patterns of my British friends. I thought "God, I must sound like an affected twat trying to sound British" so I made an effort to avoid doing it.

by Anonymousreply 3705/19/2014

Yeah R35...have you ever been to Europe?

If you think that ANYTHING in the us comes close to the beauty of paris/Budapest you have serious taste issues.

Pre 1600s architecture leaves much to be desired. It doesn't matter that it's older than Stonehenge. That doesn't make it any better. You also need to remember that the people who showed up in the us to build the country were the boring puritans who didn't like beautiful things.

As an adult you can pick up an accent. I've been studying in london for a few years and my dad is furious that I'm 'dropping my rs'

Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 3805/19/2014

right when she picked up full blown herpes

by Anonymousreply 3905/19/2014

R39, you sound like a pretentious twat! There are beautiful places in the US. For example, Montana has snow-capped mountains that could rival the Alps.

Furthermore, your accent is obviously affected. After you pass a certain age (around 12) your natural accent is set, and after that it takes some effort to adopt another one. You're only picking up Britishisms to fit in, but it's not subconscious.

by Anonymousreply 4005/19/2014

Oh, the native Indians built those? It was in reply or R35. I should probably has said any structure given that that is what we were on about.

Utter bullshit. Where is your source?

by Anonymousreply 4105/20/2014

R42, what are you trying to say, and to whom are you referring? Your sentence "structure" needs help.

by Anonymousreply 4205/20/2014

I grew up with two parents who were right off the boat from the UK. All of my aunts and uncles were English and had VERY british accents. Guess what? I sound like every other mid westerner. This notion that you pick it up by being around it is idiotic. She is doing it for attention, like everything she does. The only thing growing up around it got me was the ability to imitate my mother to the point she wants to strangle me.

by Anonymousreply 4305/20/2014

R43

I was clearly referring to R41. You know, the post above mine?

by Anonymousreply 4405/20/2014

Then what's this a reference to?

[quote]Utter bullshit. Where is your source?

by Anonymousreply 4505/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!