Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michael Musto's Open Letter to Michael Alig is brutal

Letter from Musto: Dear Michael Alig

April 2014 | by Michael Musto | in Daily Eye

Michael Alig at Tunnel

So you’re out, kid. May 5 was your release date after serving approximately 17 years for the killing of Angel Melendez, which you carried out with “Freeze” (a.k.a. your roommate, Robert Riggs, who’s already free) in one of the most heartless crimes of the decade. In some kind of drug-hazed fight, the two of you used a hammer, a bottle of Drano, a pillow and—the final prop—a box full of body parts, before you ran around crying victim and/or blabbing about what you’d done, knowing that your war-painted acolytes would protect their icon. Some party, huh?

You not only killed Angel, you basically murdered nightlife because, as Mayor Giuliani kept looking for ways to crack down on clubs so they became safe for tourists and community boards, you gave him every reason to put further restraints and make going out an exercise in constantly looking back to see who’s watching your every move. In fact, you made it very uncool to go out at all, especially dressed with any flamboyance, because the association was with a hateful, grisly act of violence that was substance-fueled and totally demented. It was years until people were able to dress up and laugh again, and if you find the nightlife still a little too restrained when you reenter it, you mainly have yourself to blame!

But your other immediate actions are what concern people since you’re now able to pursue an actual future as the alternately dreaded and appreciated-despite-it-a Michael Alig. I’d actually like to get together and have a talk since I’m no hypocrite—I followed your every move all those years, put my name on your invites, and defended the club kids’ sense of cathartic liberation on various talk shows, in between criticizing you when you went too far or behaved too crudely. I was sort of the elder statesman of the group—someone who was privy to everything going on and was free to lash out in print about it since, as I constantly told my lawyer, “Don’t worry, Alig will never sue. He loves the press—any press.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2014

(continued) And I still have fond memories of the fun, the frolics, the outrageousness and the kick in the pants you regularly gave to society’s complacence and bad taste. You didn’t get on the cover of New York magazine early on for nothing; you represented the new wave in nightlife and the dramatic possibilities that were bringing a jolt to the mwah-mwah world of polite clubbing. You shook all that up, but then you screwed it up by abusing your freedoms, forgetting your guidelines, and thinking you were above the law and beyond human decency.

And now, I hear, you’ll be living in NYC with a friend and will apparently be finishing your memoirs and working on art, among other things. That’s fine. I want to hear what you have to say and have been waiting for the Aligula book since you first announced it ages ago. Just don’t martyr yourself in it and don’t fake compunction either—I need you to really feel it, O.K.? And while you’re at it, don’t get too attracted to the glitz of whatever publicity you get (from people like me, for example). This time around, the ink is not for your legend after midnight, but for your heinous criminal acts, and that’s nothing to gloat about, dear Michael.

Charity work—any charity work—would be a good way to take you out of yourself and to give back to the world in a way that might bring some gratification. Starring in reality shows or throwing parties (if anyone would let you) might sound appealing, but going down those hollow paths won’t lead to anything substantive. Those kinds of résumé entries were for the old Michael Alig. The new one needs to catch up with technology, adapt to our city’s more privileged populace and come up with something digital that will be creative, constructive and conciliatory. Use your imagination while quelling your baser instincts.

I’m not one of those people who feel you should be deprived of human rights. You served your time and you’re now free to pursue honest, ethical actions as a citizen of the world. I just hope you approach that seriously and soberly, especially since you blamed your messy behavior on all the drugs you’d taken. So raise a glass of cranberry juice and be grateful you’re alive. Not everyone is around to say that.

by Anonymousreply 105/06/2014

Save the bit about ruining nightlife it is a good letter. Gugiani went after everyone and the murder had fuck all to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 205/06/2014

Wasn't Musto a personal friend of his, involved in the party scene?

I get his message, but this also seems like Musto inserting himself into a current, if only temporary attention cycle surrounding Alig. It's nothing he likely hasn't said before so why say it again?

Ironically, while Musto didn't kill anyone (that we know of) he's quite the famewhore himself. So it's a pot preaching to the kettle the virtues of staying cool.

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2014

Yet again, the letter has nothing whatsoever to do with the man Alig actually murdered--Musto is mad at Alig for "murdering NYC nightlife" and sullying his own reputation.

I wish Musto would just drop this shit. He fucked up by supporting the club kids and he needs to stop giving Alig more attention.

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2014

I'm not a fan of musto, but he's right

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2014

[quote]And I still have fond memories of the fun, the frolics, the outrageousness and the kick in the pants you regularly gave to society’s complacence and bad taste. You didn’t get on the cover of New York magazine early on for nothing; you represented the new wave in nightlife and the dramatic possibilities that were bringing a jolt to the mwah-mwah world of polite clubbing.

MARY!

That's quite a grand way to describe playing dress up while drugged off your ass.

[quote]The new one needs to catch up with technology [...] and come up with something digital that will be creative, constructive and conciliatory.

Does he? Why? Who gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 605/06/2014

Weren't they basically homeless people who had makeup and stolen clothes?

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2014

Musto has the right to say what he feels.

What was prison life like...?

by Anonymousreply 805/06/2014

After hearing that Musto was partly responsible for Alig not getting out earlier the letter seems very reasonably written.

by Anonymousreply 905/06/2014

No..they were just kids taking fun to extremes getting high and then basking in the limelight (intentional) ....

It was fun to watch...but the destruction of lives from too much drugging is inevitable...and Alig became a murderer. Period. I mean he chopped Angel's body up.

He is a MURDERER and it still seems some people are trying to glamorize him. Repulsive.

I love Musto...of all he was part of that as a chronicler but the lines were blurred. He continued his career...Of course he was part of making that scene so popular...that's what his job was...nightlife for the Voice. his column was well written, hilarious, irreverent.

Anyway I guess I am defending Musto and also saying Alig is a monster who doesn't seem to express remorsefulness except for getting caught.

My view is more harsh than Musto. I think Alig should rot in jail for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 1005/06/2014

I agree r10, murderers should never be let out of jail. 17 years is way too short of a time behind bars for such a heinous crime.

by Anonymousreply 1105/06/2014

I think Musto has integrity and his column is coming from a place of real hurt and dread.

Alig is a grandiose pig and attention whore (sociopath?). I'm worried he'll try to do something fun or celebrate his release, and I don't want to see that. The guy had better behave appropriately, but does he know how?

by Anonymousreply 1205/06/2014

You're all jealous of Michael! JEALOUS!

by Anonymousreply 1305/06/2014

[quote]The guy had better behave appropriately, but does he know how?

Considering that Alig made a career out of behaving badly it's doubtful.

However he IS 20 years older and has been in prison. So maybe he's matured in some way. But judging from everything I've read and heard about him while he in prison it sounds like he's deluded about the world and his place in it.

If he had any sense he'd lay low and disappear into anonymity. But he loves the limelight so he probably won't.

by Anonymousreply 1405/06/2014

[quote] I get his message, but this also seems like Musto inserting himself into a current, if only temporary attention cycle surrounding Alig.

Bingo, that's clearly Musto's true motivation. Just a d-lister milking Alig's release for attention.

by Anonymousreply 1505/06/2014

[quote]It's nothing he likely hasn't said before so why say it again?

Because Alig is being released from prison NOW. The article is timely and relevant.

Musto is the best person to comment about this since he knew Alig back in the day and NY nightlife is kind of his field of expertise.

by Anonymousreply 1605/06/2014

#16 = Michael

by Anonymousreply 1705/06/2014

What's the over/under before he violates parole? Narcissists don't last that long when they are "on paper"

by Anonymousreply 1805/06/2014

It was a D list murder

by Anonymousreply 1905/06/2014

My friend and I who both worked in NYC clubs in the mid nineties and into the 2000's think someone is going to kill him within a short time of being out and my friend has offered to buy him as much blow as he can sniff so he'll OD. He is not loved except by flyover state morons who wish they lived in NYC. And James St. James wrote an even more sickening "open letter" which was glib and attempting to be humorous and superficial in that nineties way and it just seems so fucking dated now. They are has beens who never were and a young man never got to grow old for associating with them.

by Anonymousreply 2005/06/2014

Musto doesn't take into account the digital age. Guys in clubs are always openly or slyly checking their "devices" to either find a hot/ready/sleazy trick or to find dealers with their choice of drugs.

Musto is a dinosaur who lives in the post-Warhol past, and he wants to blame Michael Alig for a world that evolved, leaving him a pathetic relic.

Alig served his time. He's a free man. Hopefully he won't fuck up again, but we have no right to hold his past over his head now that he has payed his debt to society.

Oh yeah... he's also NOT the one who bashed Angel's skull in with a hammer, striking blows that probably left the guy closer to death than anything Alig did after that.

by Anonymousreply 2105/06/2014

I'm disgusted World of Wonder, the production company behind Rupaul's Drag Race and Million Dollar Listing picked him up from prison. I read about what he did in prison and it wasn't punishment. He doesn't even care that he murdered someone.

by Anonymousreply 2205/06/2014

R21: snore. Thank you, Michael Alig.

by Anonymousreply 2305/06/2014

Maybe he can work at Limelight again in the new IHOP they built there. He can organize the children's parties.

by Anonymousreply 2405/06/2014

[quote]He is not loved except by flyover state morons who wish they lived in NYC.

Delusional NYC narcissism rears its tiny dickhead once again.

by Anonymousreply 2505/06/2014

R23 Such a great comeback! You go, gurl! [I'm trying to speak your language since you seem to be the same type as Musty Musto — stuck in the late 80's and very, very dim.]

by Anonymousreply 2605/06/2014

[quote]You not only killed Angel, you basically murdered nightlife

Oh, Mary.

Nightlife, booze, drugs, narcissism, the desire to shock and be the center of attention...created this Party Monster who found murder fascinating and plausible.

He did his time. He served his conviction. Stop with the finger wagging and scapegoating. Focus on your own damn self, Musto.

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2014

Can someone make a thread about Kim & Kanye's flop Vogue cover?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2014

Go away, reality show trash obese fraucunt R28.

No body banged your trough and told you it was feeding time.

by Anonymousreply 2905/07/2014

He is probably the lowest form of human being I ever seen. So strange he could get away with what he did/who he was for so long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3005/08/2014

R26, tell us more about how Alig served his time and how he's paid his debt to society. Faux "digital age" intellectuals and their bullshit. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 3105/08/2014

Alig gave Giuliani more than enough ammunition to persecute the gay community and it's nightlife. This was all during the time the gay community was very much flat on it's back from AIDS. I think Musto is correct in his opinions. Alig destroyed the gay community in New York because of his shit for brains ego and selfishness. Someone out there is probably going to seek a vendetta when he is located.

by Anonymousreply 3205/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!