Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Robert Ryan

One of the finest of all post-war actors. Very hot, despite his jug ears. Superb in "The Set-Up" and "Caught."

Little known fact: he and his wife actually owned the famous apartment in the Dakota John and Yoko lived in--the Lennons rented it from the Ryans for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 10, 2019 4:05 AM

Handsome man. I would have loved to have seen him on Broadway in "Mr. President."

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2014 4:17 AM

Nice,fit natural looking body when he was younger...and I love the furry legs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2014 4:23 AM

Sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2014 4:30 AM

Actors thought he was the greatest. Even Spencer Tracy was intimidated by him, according to reports.

Only one oscar nomination; for, support. But he was above all that acclaim.

Sexiest, imo, in "Clash by Night", co-starring Barbara Stanwyck. The second leads are very sexy, as well: Marilyn Monroe, and Keith Andes. And as Stanwyck's husband, Paul Douglas was very attractive, as well.

by Anonymousreply 4March 15, 2014 4:36 AM

Robert Ryan was sexy in a menancing,slightly psychotic way. When he wore that contemptuous,seething sneer one could never be sure if you were about to be bludgeoned to death or receive the best fucking of your life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 15, 2014 4:38 AM

A rich man's Barry Sullivan.

by Anonymousreply 6March 15, 2014 11:53 AM

Wasn't his last wife his former mother-in-law?

by Anonymousreply 7March 15, 2014 12:18 PM

Yum!

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2014 12:57 AM

How was he related to Irene Ryan?

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2014 1:49 AM

Mr. Leslie honey, I will always love you

by Anonymousreply 10March 16, 2014 2:00 AM

[R5] puts it well.

by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2017 10:16 PM

[quote]Wasn't his last wife his former mother-in-law?

No, R7 -- per the link, he was married only once, until she died (he died from cancer a year later).

The story you describe is intriguing, though, whomever it's about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2017 10:38 PM

The Dakota allowed sublets?

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2017 11:05 PM

Love him. He was such a great actor, perhaps at his best in his late performances in Billy Budd and Iceman Cometh. Often cast as villains to great effect, but he could also play likable types as in The Set-Up.

And OMG in Clash by Night he was sex on a stick. He and Stanwyck had great chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2017 11:08 PM

One can imagine he threw a mean fuck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2017 11:12 PM

Hot as hell as a villian or nice guy. In a class by himself in versatility.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 10, 2017 12:40 PM

Interesting Wikipedia link at R12. I had no idea Ryan was one of the genuine Hollywood liberals, even going so far as to publicly oppose Joe McCarthy at a time when it was dangerous to do so. Ryan sounds like good people.

by Anonymousreply 17April 10, 2017 7:04 PM

There's a good documentary about a mentally ill woman who, as a kid, was friends with Ryan's daughter. She's now homeless and living in Central Park, keeps looking up at the Ryans' old apartment and having flashbacks but doesn't understand them.

Damn, blanking on name of the doc.

by Anonymousreply 18April 10, 2017 7:52 PM

Kind of a rougher version of John Payne.

by Anonymousreply 19April 10, 2017 7:55 PM

At the time of his death, Robert Ryan was engaged to marry Maureen O'Sullivan, Mia Farrow's mother.

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2017 7:59 PM

PAUL DOUGLAS, R4???? You're nuts, he was a fug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2017 8:16 PM

He was a homosexual you know.

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2019 10:20 AM

Did he have the Irish curse?

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2019 10:34 AM

R18, is the woman now a birder in Central Park? Has a funny first name.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2019 11:07 AM

He nearly became Ronan Farrow's step-grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2019 11:08 AM

Agree with R14, especially ICEMAN. He was so good as Larry Slade it almost made up for Lee Marvin's mediocre Hickey. A younger Ryan would have made a superb Hickey.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2019 1:06 PM

Who can ever forget him in "The Love Machine", as Dyan Cannon's husband?

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2019 1:08 PM

His character was so loathsome in Clash By Night I had a hard time changing my mind about him.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2019 4:24 PM

I tanked this thread with my negativity. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 29September 9, 2019 10:52 PM

R21, you beat me to it! Not only was Paul Douglas a fat fug, his character - Jerry the ignorant fisherman - was beyond intolerable. I cringe thinking of Stanwyck going with him. R4, a trip to the ophthalmologist might be warranted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 9, 2019 11:43 PM

R10 refers to one of my favorites, and a truly strange movie, “About Mrs. Leslie,” in which the great Shirley Booth plays Ryan’s love interest - his “same time next year-esque” annual illicit fling, of all things.

The scene where Shirley attempts to make gentile dinner table conversation with a teenage Bobby soxer who only wants a root beer is priceless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 10, 2019 2:52 AM

^^^ genteel - not gentile

Damn it

by Anonymousreply 32September 10, 2019 4:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!