Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hotel, Starring Miss Bette Davis as Laura Trent

Was I the only little queenlet orgasmic over this series premiere back in 1983? Bette Davis! Campy guest stars! OTT plotlines! That opening score! Michael Spound's enormous bulge!Yes, I know it was essentally a landlocked Love Boat, but there was something so pseudo-classy about the show, and was a perfect companion piece for Dynasty on Wednesday nights. The first episode featured Morgan Fairchild as a hooker raped by a bunch of frat jocks. God I miss '80s TV with its champagne and caviar dreams.

by Anonymousreply 4806/21/2014

Beer and pretzels will get you raped by frat jocks just as easily as champagne and caviar. Plus, it's cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 102/19/2014

I always though Shea Farrell was the hottest thing on TV. Perfection personified!!!

by Anonymousreply 202/19/2014

For some reason....and seriously, I have no idea why....when I was a kid, I was obsessed with Heidi Bohay and Michael Spound.

There was some story about them on PM Magazine or some such show about how perfectly they balanced their megawatt careers and kept their marriage together. I used to record episodes of $25,000 Pyramid they were on and everything.

I have no explanation for this at all.

The other day at the gym, I caught myself watching Heidi shill those convection ovens on some infomercial, and it was like seeing an old friend.

I wonder how her cute husband is...

by Anonymousreply 302/19/2014

The credits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402/19/2014

I caught myself watching Heidi shill those convection ovens on some infomercial, and it was like seeing an old friend.

Ya remember the year we last bought a convection oven, Blanche?

by Anonymousreply 502/19/2014

How did the show explain Anne Baxter's death? I think she died during the 4th season. I remember that Mr. Brady (Robert Reed) played a 'mo on the show. Was "The Love Boat" cast ever on "Hotel" and/or vice versa?

by Anonymousreply 602/19/2014

Shea Farrell was beautiful. He was one of John Conboy's boys. Conboy cast him on Capitol. Horrible actor, but beautiful guy.

by Anonymousreply 702/19/2014

She didn't get a "MISS Bette Davis" credit? I wish she'd called my agent.

by Anonymousreply 802/19/2014

Word bitch!

by Anonymousreply 902/19/2014

Mmm, Michael could Spound me into next Tuesday....

by Anonymousreply 1002/19/2014

Sucked, was boring, not entertaining. Bad doesn't automatically = campy and fun. Davis, as great as she was, couldn't begin to save this turkey. I'm sure she was just happy to be picking up a reasonably dignified paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 1102/19/2014

I think it tried to sell itself as a classy drama, when essentially it was just a high-end Love Boat.

by Anonymousreply 1202/19/2014

Why didn't Ann Baxter get an "and starring" credit like Bette did?

by Anonymousreply 1302/19/2014

I can't believe the same guy who wrote "Roots" wrote this schlock.

by Anonymousreply 1402/19/2014

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 1502/19/2014

r16, ALEX Haley wrote "Roots"; ARTHUR Hailey wrote "Hotel" (and "Airport").

by Anonymousreply 1602/19/2014

Let's not forget Bette's television chef d'oeuvre when she sat it for an ailing Raymond Burr in "Perry Mason: The Case of Constant Doyle." (Featuring Michael Parks and Peggy Ann Garner!)

by Anonymousreply 1702/19/2014

Bette Davis is a legend. But the opening for MISS Stanwyck on Colbys was far better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2014

I forgot about Shea Farrell. As a kid I would tune in largely to see him (although at the time not quite knowing why). However, I don't think he was barely used. I don't remember him being featured in any storyline.

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2014

[quote] Beer and pretzels will get you raped by frat jocks just as easily as champagne and caviar. Plus, it's cheaper.

I'm so glad Sondheim junked these lyrics from I'm Still Here.

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2014

Bette only appeared in the first ep, then decried the whole thing, calling it "Brothel" - she did praise co-star Morgan Fairchild, though, writing her a letter telling her what a terrific actress he was. Bette was a long time soap lover, and had seen Morgan on Search for Tomorrow.

I think Bette had that stroke not long after.

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2014

They hired Efrem Zimbalist Jr to step in as the Hotel's new owner after Anne Baxter died - I think his character was her character's ex-lover or something. To make it even more interesting (sarcasm), he brought along his shitraking daughter, played by Michelle Phillips, to help him in his power struggle with James Brolin. They focused mainly on James Brolin and Connie Selleca's romance in the last years like it was a big TV event for these two characters to finally get together.

Strange show. Can't believe there was a time not that long ago when prime-time devoted an hour to combine the talents of the likes of Shirley Jones, Alejandro Rey, Nancy Dussault, and Adrian Zmed.

A recurring guest was Deborah Adair of all people, who starred on Hotel in many episodes (as different characters). Aaron Spelling was fascinated with this woman, trying to make her desperately happen by forcing her on DYNASTY producers in an ill-fated role and even giving her a starring role in another anthology series, the short-lived "Finder of Lost Loves" with Tony Franciosa. I don't know why he loved this woman so much.

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2014

r24, a lot of shows in the mid/late '80s copied the successful Sam/Diane from Cheers and Maddie/David Moonlighting slow-burn type of romance. Didn't exactly work for James and Connie, who both have the charisma of a dial tome.

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2014

A great write-up and overview of HOTEL ...

scroll down the page to see a recent pic of Shea Farrell (yikes!)

And I forgot that Elizabeth Taylor (with pal Roddy McDowell) guest-starred on a much ballyhooed episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2402/23/2014

I have a headache. No, no. It'll be fine. I just think I'll sit here until they're ready to tape. I'm - Oh! It's quite bad. Get me a couple aspirin, will you please? Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2502/23/2014

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2602/23/2014

[quote]The first episode featured Morgan Fairchild as a hooker raped by a bunch of frat jocks.

Who wouldn't miss such uplifting entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 2702/23/2014

Brolin ruined it.

Still, it did have Jon-Eric Hexum as Prince Erik...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2802/25/2014

r26's link is chock-full of DL fascination.

[quote]Mel Torme popped up on the pilot (in order to save the day for out-of-work Erin Moran, offering her a job as his opening act after she put forth an excruciating rendition of “Delta Dawn!”) and Liberace put in an appearance, too, performing a special concert for aging fans Donald O'Conner and Margaret O'Brien, who had come to the hotel to celebrate their anniversary and were distraught that his stint there had already ended.

[quote]The show often gave actors a chance to play characters far afield from what audiences were used to seeing. Pretty Richard Hatch (of Battlestar Galactica fame) enacted the role of an obsessed stalker and would-be rapist. Broadway song and dance man-turned game show host Peter Marshall portrayed a lascivious pageant judge who weasels his way into young entrant Heather Locklear's bed! (Locklear's mom, by the way, was played by '60s teen starlet Miss Connie Stevens.)

[quote]This is actor Robert Vaughn (of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Magnificent Seven and Bullitt fame) playing a hit man who utilizes full-on cross-dressing to disguise himself!

Why isn't this on a DVD box set with lots of extras? WHY???

by Anonymousreply 2902/25/2014

One episode that made an impact on me as a teenager featured Lloyd Bochner and Marion Ross staying at the hotel while seeking custody of their granddaughter (following the death of their own daughter) from their former son-in-law, a gay doctor played by Douglas Barr (who I had such a crush on in the 80s). In the end, they realize Barr is a good guy and let him and his boyfriend have custody of the girl.

by Anonymousreply 3002/25/2014

St Elsewhere was superb drama (it truly was - never matched again on TV), but it didn't have Robert Reed as a closeted husband discovered in a tryst by wife Deidre Hall, or that other soap icon Jaime Lyn Bauer as a crazed soap fan going all Fatal Attraction on her TV idol played by Andrew Stevens, or (my personal favorite) Carol Lynley disrobing and standing naked in front of Barbara Parkins and confessing her lesbian love for her.

Johnny Depp even did an episode as a young hotel employee who couldn't read!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2014

St. Elsewhere had its share of OTT stories. Remember when that nurse played by Ellen Brie went psycho after being raped by Terrence Knox's character?

by Anonymousreply 3202/26/2014

In a ridiculous coincidence Ioan Gruffudd is on cable right now in a movie with Clive Owen.

by Anonymousreply 3302/26/2014

Bette Davis must've been senile to have admired Morgan Fairchild's "acting." She was a fan of Y&R, and wrote a letter to Lauralee Bell telling her was an amazing actress she thought she was. The trick of the mind in old age!

by Anonymousreply 3402/26/2014

The glamorous opening sequence with the Henry Mancini theme, the "magic mirror" treatment for the main cast and the list of Special Guest Stars (including a hideous pubescent Tori Spelling).

Almost two minutes long. They'd never do that today.

And all the stars have the same nighttime soap opera schtick on their title card: Look up! Surprise! Smile! Then Laughter -- you caught me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3502/26/2014

It was finally a hit show for Connie Selleca.

by Anonymousreply 3602/27/2014

r35, that was an amazing moment. I'll never forget the shock of when Peter White (Terence Knox) was unmasked as the hospital rapist. Then, after going to jail for shooting Peter in the groin, Ellen's character came back for an episode as a patient and unnerved all the staff with her craziness.

The show hit a true milestone when it had Romeo Mark Harmon pick up a girl at Cape Cod and she ended up slashing his beautiful face after hey fucked. It eventually led to the character contracting HIV through a blood transfusion, and eventually being written off to die offscreen of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 3702/27/2014

R12. Michael Spound was a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 3802/27/2014

How do you know, r41?

by Anonymousreply 3902/27/2014

Because you could tell.

And he married a ditz named Heidi, which makes him a clear douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 4002/27/2014

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 4106/21/2014

[quote]he did praise co-star Morgan Fairchild, though, writing her a letter telling her what a terrific actress he was. Bette was a long time soap lover, and had seen Morgan on Search for Tomorrow. I think Bette had that stroke not long after.

I suspect the stroke was happening during the writing of said letter. Right name, wrong actress. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 4206/21/2014

I just remember Nathan Cook as the security chief. He was supposed to be the token black on the show along with Shari Belafonte. He was so good on White Shadow and so" I'm just there" on Hotel. A shame because he would have done better in a different role.He died from an allergic reaction to penicillin at the young age of 38.

by Anonymousreply 4306/21/2014

This is a concept that could be awesome today... on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 4406/21/2014

I meant to send that letter to Morgan Freeman C/O The Electric Company.

by Anonymousreply 4506/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!