Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 90s Rocker Chick

When was the last decade that had SO MANY successful singer-songwriter chicks on the charts that didn't have to take their clothes off to get attention? The 60s? There was a huge feminist resurgence in the 1990s. I still remember Paula Cole's hairy armpits performing at the Grammys.

Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Courtney Love, Shirley Manson, Dolores O' Riordan, Sheryl Crow, Paula Cole, Sarah McLachlan, Jewel, Tori Amos, Sophie B. Hawkins, 3 Non Blondes, Shawn Colvin, Melissa Etheridge, Joan Osbourne, Lisa Loeb...

Then there were all those R&B broads who could simply sing and not have to perform like strippers.

I don't recall Celine sliding down a stripper pole.

by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2018 3:37 PM

That 'fuck Oscar Mayer, this world is bullshit,' chick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2014 3:59 AM

Julianna Hatfield, Liz Phair, P.J. Harvey, Kim Deal, Kelly Deal...

by Anonymousreply 2February 15, 2014 4:01 AM

Britney Spears happened.....

Fiona Apple and Gwen Stefani are the last of their kind, who made it throughout the 90's and seemed to have stayed just as popular.

Now "pop" has paved the way for manufactured acts.

by Anonymousreply 3February 15, 2014 4:21 AM

[quote]I don't recall Celine sliding down a stripper pole.

That's because you would've had a hard time differentiating between the two.

by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2014 4:41 AM

Gwen Stefani was the beginning of the end, she was just as untalented as Britney Spears. She was like a bland version of Cyndi Lauper. Don't even get me started on the music of No Doubt.

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2014 2:10 AM

I used to make fun of those VH1 "singer/songwriters" back in the 90s but the likes of Colbie Caillat and Sara Bareilles, to take two painfully mediocre examples, make Sarah McLachlan or Jewel look like Bob Dylan in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2014 2:16 AM

To the OP, I think the 90's was the best period since the 70's for assertive women in music. Aside from Kate Bush and a few others, the 80's was a much worse time for women who didn't just want to make pop fluff. Liz Phair, PJ Harvey, The Breeders, Hole, Fiona Apple, Bikini Kill, etc. All of these artists are way better than any of the current female singer-songwriters or rock artists that are prominent today.

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2014 2:24 AM

Madonna started the white stripper act. The black stripper act has always been with us. Only Madonna called it "art". Yeah right.

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2014 2:27 AM

All those artists were talented but sadly had short careers. The climate changed and stars like the Breeders and Fiona Apple were volatile and lacked a Madonna-style strategy and persistence.

I too used to mock the pop stars of the 90s but they look like Dame Redgrave next to the idiots of today. With an exception or two.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2014 2:34 AM

[quote]Britney Spears happened.....

Correct. That was when mainstream music really went straight to shit.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2014 3:31 AM

R9, that's because those chicks never, ever wanted to be anything like Madonna. There is no reason to compare them to her.

We're talking about real musicians who play rock and roll, which hasn't been in vogue (no pun intended) for some time. It doesn't matter. Most of the ones listed are still at it. And Madonna is still not a real musician or songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2014 3:35 AM

Sad...

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2014 2:26 PM

Sad, the music industry is now convinced that the money is in hoochies who can't sing a note.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2014 7:41 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 2:27 PM

Women don’t seem interested in joining bands anymore. Actually bands in general seem kind of dead.

The 90s saw a lot of unpredictable, difficult to control musicians. Labels didn’t like that and so Britney Spears and boy bands became the rage. It hasn’t changed much since then.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 2:54 PM

I agree, r15.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2018 4:26 PM

Gwen Sefani is is hardly untalented.

Britney is largely to blame, because the sea change happened when she arrived, but Madonna planted a lot of the seeds over a decade earlier. Hip hop also played a role, by objectifying women so blatently along with misogynist lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2018 4:55 PM

I agree, r17.

by Anonymousreply 18October 28, 2018 11:05 AM

Britney was a product and not the evil genius actor in this change of tastes. Why "blame Britney"?

Blame sound engineering and business suits. Mostly men. Same thing happened to movies by the way. Jacked up, bright, fast, empty, successful. Rinse repeat.

by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2018 11:53 AM

There are only so many CDs you can sell to cheap lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2018 12:27 PM

You got something against Connie Francis? Shelley Fabares?

by Anonymousreply 21October 28, 2018 12:48 PM

Juliana Hatfield?

by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2018 3:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!