Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dinah Shore's Race

In the 40s a "part black" rumor was started about Dinah by another singer who was jealous of her success.

Dinah's parents, Solomon and Anna (nee Stein) emigrated from Russia. She was born Frances Rose Shore in Winchester, Tennessee. Anyone know who the other singer was?

by Anonymousreply 141July 28, 2017 3:59 AM

I loved Dinah Shore. She sang so bad I can't imagine anyone being jealous.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2014 12:52 PM

Well, she did have a nose job, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2014 1:36 PM

Lena Horne?

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2014 1:37 PM

Paul Harvey once did a piece on how Ronald Reagan persuaded her to be a Democrat!

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2014 3:50 PM

Jo Stafford and while Shore couldn't match Stafford, (actually very few still could), Shore could sing quite well.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2014 5:39 PM

Jo Stafford said that? I saw her on an old "What's My Line?" not too long ago, and there was something about her that made me dislike her. Maybe there was an ugliness in spirit I detected.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2014 8:11 PM

It was Lena Horne -

MGM was remaking Show Boat and Lena wanted to play Julie, the mulatto who sings "Bill" and "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man". Lena was also under contract to MGM, and had played Julie in the "tab show" version of Show Boat that opens the Kern biopic "Till the Clouds Roll By"

But Dinah was a bigger star because she was the biggest female singing star when TV came in in the late 40s. Plus she was a close friend of MGM studio chief Dore Schary, and lobbied hard for the part (ironically, Shore had also been in "Till the Clouds Roll By"). Since it was the late 40s, Schary said Lena could not play the part since she was clearly black and Southern audiences wouldn't go see the film, so he promised the role to his friend Shore. Lena reacted by starting that rumor....

In the end, after production delays, Dinah's screen test proved she couldn't really act the role and it was given to MGM contractee Ava Gardner, who learned the songs by listening to Lena's recordings and wore light Egyptian makeup to make her appear more mulatto.

Since Lena and Ava were "girlfriends", Lena wasn't mad at Ava for playing the part, but never forgave Schary and left MGM when her contract was up later that year. And in the 30+ years Dinah had a TV show, Lena was never a guest.

True Story.

by Anonymousreply 7January 28, 2014 8:03 AM

The rumor that persisted about Dinah Shore was her supposed involvement with a black man. A baby was part of it.

by Anonymousreply 8January 28, 2014 8:31 AM

First husband George Montgomery was even hotter than Burt Reynolds in his prime so Dinah must have been doing something right.

IIRC she even had a relationship with Frank Langella (from his auto-bio) late in her life.

by Anonymousreply 9January 28, 2014 1:00 PM

Years ago I worked for a talent agency; I heard there that Shore was a "protégé" of Eddie Cantor's, that he paid for a nose job and chin implant when she started out.

by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2014 2:19 PM

Dinah Shore wasn't a great singer, but she could make her songs fun to listen to, such as "Shoo Fly Pie (and Apple Pan Dowdy)."

By the seventies she really had no voice left, but she always had a good TV personality. Very personable and likeable.

by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2014 7:34 AM

For all we know, she might be High Yellow!

by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2014 7:41 AM

r6

Stafford was always criticised for being "cold" when she sang, but that was her style. She was one of the few singers that could actually sing all styles of music and her voice was unbelievable.

Get her "Ballad of the Blues" album and you will be bowled over at how great she is.

Actually Stafford was the number one female singer from 1900-1950, the first half of the century. Overall she was number 6.

Dinah Shore, who is actually good as well, was #2 female singer and #10 overall.

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2014 8:12 AM

She was never really a good singer. Just young and pleasant, she know how to hide the limitations of her voice.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2014 3:46 PM

"By the seventies she really had no voice left, but she always had a good TV personality. Very personable and likeable."

Actually, one of the last songs Dinah performed on TV was on some tv special about vaudeville or the Palace or something - she did "Can't Help Lovin That Man Of Mine" beautifully and received very good notices for it.

Regarding What's My Line, Dinah appeared with George on one episode - he was gorgeous!!!

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2014 3:55 PM

Yes the more persistent rumor was black boyfriend and black baby, scandalous! Did she have kids?

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2014 3:56 PM

When Dinah had her night time variety show, she deducted the cost of her dresses as a business expense on her Income Tax returns. The IRS said "no" because she could wear them away from the TV studio. She won when she demonstrated that they were constructed so tight that she couldn't even sit down in them.

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2014 4:06 PM

I love her recording of MISSISSIPPI MUD.

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2014 4:23 PM

I didn't know she had her own night time show.

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2014 4:35 PM

The Dinah Shore Chevy Show was a top-rated show for several years.

"See the USA, in your Chevrolet" was what she sang at the close of each show with a big "Mmmwah" kiss at the end.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2014 4:46 PM

Not true at all, R7. Lena wanted to be in Show Boat, but she had left MGM by the time it was cast. In fact, Lena had been on suspension and was on the shit list. She only did two MGM films between 1947 and 1950.

Why does everyone think Lena Horne was considered for Show Boat? Because SHE promoted the idea and it became part of her biography. Some people think Lena was actually hired and fired from the film because of racism. Complete bullshit, but people eat it up.

Lena was one smart cookie.

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2014 5:17 PM

Is she dead? or is that Doris Day who passed. I get them both mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2014 5:42 PM

Dinah Shore died on February 24, 1994, five days shy of her 78th birthday. She had been battling ovarian cancer.

by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2014 5:56 PM

Dinah was always concerned about issues of race on her talk show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 6, 2014 5:59 PM

Dinah was forever battling with the suits at NBC during her nighttime variety show, because they did not want her to book black guests. But she prevailed, and ladies such as Mahalia Jackson would appear.

by Anonymousreply 25February 6, 2014 6:10 PM

[quote]Well, she did have a nose job, anyway.

How uncommon for a Jewish girl.

by Anonymousreply 26February 6, 2014 6:13 PM

Um, that's hard to believe, r25. Black guest stars were all over white variety shows in the 1960s -- Harry Belafonte, Nancy Wilson, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Lena Horne, and younger pop acts like The Supremes. Nat Cole was even signed for a 1963 Judy Garland Show that was never taped because of problems with the show, not because blacks were unacceptable guests. Ella and others were on with Dinah. No controversy.

by Anonymousreply 27February 6, 2014 6:25 PM

People often confused Dinah with Doris Day. The former would make jokes about everybody thinking she was "that OTHER blonde girl singer."

by Anonymousreply 28February 6, 2014 6:32 PM

R27, Dinah Shore's variety show ran from 1951 to 1963, so it was on back in the fifties when many fewer black performers were allowed in primetime. It wouldn't surprise me if Dinah had to fight for them to appear.

by Anonymousreply 29February 6, 2014 6:40 PM

Classic Jazz/Pop Buff here. Dinah's vocals were always thin, shrill & so obviously inferior to her 1940's & 1950's peers. She was the female equivalent of Frank Sinatra in the sense that there were always much better vocalists around but she still managed to get the most promotion & the sweetest gigs.

Margaret Whiting, Bea Wain, Helen O'Connell, Fran Warren, Rosemary Clooney, Kay Starr, Jo Stafford, Patti Page, Connie Russell, Helene Dixon, Bernice Parks, Lisa Kirk, etc could all easily sing circles around Dinah but weren't nearly as successful. The only explanation for this seems to be that Dinah had better management than most & possessed a warm, folksy personality that projected brilliantly on Radio & early television.

by Anonymousreply 30February 6, 2014 6:51 PM

In the 50s, Arthur Godfrey made major strides in bring black performers to TV. He hired four guys, The Mariners, who had formed a singing group while serving in the Armed Forces. Two white and two black. As veterans, it gave them an All-American background to overpower any possible racist rants. They were on "Arthur Godfrey Time" five mornings a week for several years. Then he broght Mahalia Jackson as a special guest on his Wednesday night variety show "Arthur Godfrey and His Friends." She just blew away the audience and got rave reviews in the newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 31February 6, 2014 6:53 PM

Pearl Bailey was a guest of Dinah, and they did a duet singing "Mack the Knife." Pearl could easily outsing Dinah, but Dinah didn't care, she seemed to enjoy herself as the two of them mangled the song.

by Anonymousreply 32February 6, 2014 6:58 PM

Dinah and Pearl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 6, 2014 7:05 PM

That stuffed bra is frightening.

by Anonymousreply 34February 6, 2014 7:26 PM

It is amazing Pearl is forgotten today - why I don't even think there has been a DL thread about Pearl Bailey!

by Anonymousreply 35February 6, 2014 8:03 PM

R30, who the hell are Margaret Whiting, Bea Wain, Helen O'Connell, Fran Warren, Connie Russell, Helene Dixon, Bernice Parks & Lisa Kirk? Were they dykes with a weekend named after them as well?

by Anonymousreply 36February 8, 2014 5:11 AM

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2014 11:31 AM

Google Loni Anderson dark past / peculiar beauty blog. Loni's black!!!

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2014 11:58 AM

Loni was on Oprah long ago and oprah mentioned how she looked "ethnic" in an old photo. It got real quiet and subject was kind of changed.

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2014 12:06 PM

Arthur Godfrey may have gotten blacks on his television show, but throughout his career he remained virulently anti-Semitic. He owned a restricted hotel in Miami, back when such discrimination was still legal.

by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2014 1:23 PM

Pearl Bailey sang at the White House during the Nixon administration. She admired an antique chair so Nixon gave it to her.

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2014 1:30 PM

Dinah had some great theme shows on her daily talk show, which was more entertaining than Merv, Mike or any of the other daytime shows.

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2014 1:49 PM

r7 There was no place for Miss Horne in "Showboat." She was "obviously" a Negro(please don't throw things), and that isn't what the part of Julie called for. She never could've played someone trying to "pass."

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2014 3:06 PM

Hi! This is Dinah! On today's episode of DINAH SHORE'S RACE, I'll be racing the lovely Theresa Brewer and the adorable Brenda Lee! Ready girls? On your mark, get set, GO!!!

by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2014 3:14 PM

[quote] [R30], who the hell are Margaret Whiting, Bea Wain, Helen O'Connell, Fran Warren, Connie Russell, Helene Dixon, Bernice Parks & Lisa Kirk? Were they dykes with a weekend named after them as well?

R36 , they were all female recording artists of the 1940's & 50's. Miss Shore's peers. I have no idea if any were dykes but every last one of them could've sang Dinah under the table!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 9, 2014 9:19 PM

There is a scene is American Horror Story, Season 4 that one of the characters says: 'Oh, I adore Dinah Shore. We were never allowed to play her records. Mother said she was high yellow.'

Do you know what's that supposed to mean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 17, 2016 12:22 PM

So what does that mean?

Ty...

by Anonymousreply 47February 17, 2016 12:38 PM

I am NOT a fag, and Margaret Whiting is the dame that can prove it!

by Anonymousreply 48February 17, 2016 1:02 PM

Come on kitties. Where are yaaa?

by Anonymousreply 49February 17, 2016 1:22 PM

It's a reference to the race thing, R46. "High yellow" means a light-skinned black person, usually someone who is 1/8th or so black.

by Anonymousreply 50February 17, 2016 1:25 PM

R50, thanks for answering. You were the only one and i appreciate that.

I was confused because the word 'yellow' has also the meaning of 'offensively sensational, as a cheap newspaper (esp in the phrase yellow press)'. Was Dinah Shore that provocative?

by Anonymousreply 51February 17, 2016 1:35 PM

R35, thanks for that clip. Not just Dinah's padded bra, but her skeletal frame--a little scary! I like Dinah and her personality, but it's true that her voice was nothing much. She could carry a tune and sell it somewhat in a gentle way, but seeing her next to Pearl Bailey is revealing. Pearl has such an easy confidence and an obviously superior voice. She's swinging away while our Dinah jerks around trying to have some soul, bless her heart.

by Anonymousreply 52February 17, 2016 1:52 PM

R30, I'm glad someone agrees with me about Frank Sinatra. Aside from a short period when I really liked his songs for their retro appeal, I've never thought he was much of a talent; at least not anything phenomenal, which is what he's always been built up to be. Actually, I find his voice, with its tough-guy quality and blare, annoying now. I prefer Dean Martin or Tony Bennett for that style of singing.

by Anonymousreply 53February 17, 2016 1:57 PM

Getting all uppity with Barbra at 0:27.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 17, 2016 2:14 PM

I just heard that rumor about three weeks ago, and thought my God, they're still saying that about Dinah.

by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2016 2:34 PM

The "Yellow Rose of Texas" is a song about a mulatto woman who was active in the Texas Revolution against Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 56February 17, 2016 2:41 PM

R56 was she a high yella or an old yella?

by Anonymousreply 57February 17, 2016 3:40 PM

Don't gays like Dinah?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 17, 2016 5:51 PM

These days, the only thing Dinah is known for is the dyke extravaganza in Palms Springs.

During her talk show, she once dueted with Tina Turner to Proud Mary. I so wish that were on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 59February 17, 2016 5:59 PM

'The dyke extravaganza in Palms Springs'...can you elaborate please on that, R59? What happened? Speak tom cat, ffs!

by Anonymousreply 60February 17, 2016 6:14 PM

The "dyke" event everyone is referring to is the golf tournament, R60.

by Anonymousreply 61February 17, 2016 6:31 PM

Duh, R60--the Dinah Shore Ladies' Invitational Golf Classic, ya silly old Xer/millennial! LPGAers and dykey celebs galore! It was the place to be in the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 62February 17, 2016 6:31 PM

r33 I remember that clip of Dinah singing with Pearl. Pearl teased her, in a nice way, when Dinah couldn't hit the high notes. In fact, Dinah could barely hit any notes.

by Anonymousreply 63February 17, 2016 6:35 PM

Uh dat was rude, R62.

Anyway, have you got anything more juicy to say about Dinah? The info you gave was too general, chienne.

Ty R61 and ...R62...kind of!

by Anonymousreply 64February 17, 2016 6:38 PM

I find her beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 17, 2016 7:13 PM

Perhaps Melungian. Thanks race troll!

by Anonymousreply 66February 17, 2016 7:53 PM

R64, why is everyone suddenly Frenchies it up around here. I give vacation package tours around Montreal and QC. Should start selling those big Queerbec tours here. Maybe take out ads so you don't have to look at Intstigator or whatever. It's coming just in time for Spring.

by Anonymousreply 67February 17, 2016 7:56 PM

R67, okey dokey, mon ami.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 17, 2016 8:55 PM

It's now called the ANA but it is still possibly the most prominent lesbian event in the country.

by Anonymousreply 69February 17, 2016 8:57 PM

Dinah Saur

by Anonymousreply 70February 17, 2016 9:07 PM

R70, that was stupid but funny. Buahahahaha!

Dinah with Alan Ladd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 17, 2016 9:37 PM

Who is the woman with Dinah and Barbra? Don't recognize her.

by Anonymousreply 72February 17, 2016 9:51 PM

Answering my own question. After Dinah called her "Georgia" at the end, it was easy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 17, 2016 9:55 PM

R68, so cute, should be illegal. Stroke causing.

by Anonymousreply 74February 17, 2016 10:27 PM

R54, is the epitome of the crew at Datalounge, right? Brotherhood of DL. Oh yeah!

by Anonymousreply 75February 17, 2016 10:33 PM

Dinah's was the big NBC draw in color on Sunday nights at 9 p.m. When she left the air, NBC moved over a little western that had been doing nothing in the ratings on Saturday night for two seasons - and Bonanza began its powerhouse run.

by Anonymousreply 76February 17, 2016 10:38 PM

Dinah also wore pants and long skirts on her show. Some said it was because she felt it was unladylike to sit with shorter skirts but in actuality, she had huge thighs she was ashamed of.

by Anonymousreply 77February 17, 2016 10:54 PM

WHEN DINAH SHORE RULED THE EARTH!

by Anonymousreply 78February 17, 2016 11:04 PM

Dinah at the start of her radio career...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 17, 2016 11:27 PM

Was Dinah Eddie Cantor's protege or mistress?

by Anonymousreply 80February 18, 2016 12:22 AM

[quote] When Dinah had her night time variety show, she deducted the cost of her dresses as a business expense on her Income Tax returns. The IRS said "no" because she could wear them away from the TV studio. She won when she demonstrated that they were constructed so tight that she couldn't even sit down in them.

I remember hearing about this. This IRS ruling allowed many women performers to deduct the cost of the clothes they wore to work, as long as they were not a "...sit down dress".

by Anonymousreply 81February 18, 2016 12:38 AM

Cantor supposedly liked sex with younger women, despite his often-present wife and five daughters complicating his privacy. But the only people I've specifically read/heard about was Joan Davis and Jackie Susann, the latter in spectacularly indiscreet circumstances involving his daughter tracking them to a hotel and Ida Cantor delivering an ultimatum.

Shore started working with Cantor in 1940, married George Montgomery in 1943, and publicly had only praise for Cantor's support.

by Anonymousreply 82February 18, 2016 12:52 AM

I love those TV duets with Pearl Bailey and Ella Fitzgerald. Fun and respectful of one another. And let's not pretend that Pearl Baileys voice wasn't a limited instrument.

by Anonymousreply 83February 18, 2016 12:57 AM

Dinah with one of her bodyguards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 18, 2016 12:07 PM

Dinah Shore busty VINTAGE Photo Belle Of The Yukon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 18, 2016 12:11 PM

Dinah was sexy in a sweet way.

Do you know why that lesbian event was named after Dinah Shore?

What's the fucking connection? I wanna know...I want to...i really do.

by Anonymousreply 86February 18, 2016 3:24 PM

Apparently R86 you don't "wanna know" enough to google her, scroll through her Wikipedia entry and read, "Shore, who played golf, was a longtime supporter of women's professional golf. In 1972, she helped found the Colgate Dinah Shore golf tournament, which in its current identity as the ANA Inspiration remains one of the major golf tournaments on the LPGA Tour. The tournament is held each spring near Shore's former home in Rancho Mirage, California."

by Anonymousreply 87February 19, 2016 12:38 AM

For all we knew, she may have been high yellow!

by Anonymousreply 88February 19, 2016 12:40 AM

Was it Dinah Shore or Doris Day who was allegedly a pass-around bottom in the back of the bus for the guys in the band when she toured as a Big Band singer in the 1930s or 40s?

Serous question, not a joke. I used to hear the rumors years ago but now I can't remember which one they were about.

by Anonymousreply 89February 19, 2016 1:30 AM

Technically, she wasn't white. I believe she was Lavender Blue, Dilly Dilly.

by Anonymousreply 90February 19, 2016 2:24 AM

Doris Day was a Big Band singer who toured with the boys in a bus in the 1940's (she married two band players). But I never heard what you said, R89, and I doubt it is true.

by Anonymousreply 91February 19, 2016 2:47 AM

Besties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 19, 2016 2:50 AM

I hoped that there was another connection. I read that too, before, R87. That's not something juicy.

by Anonymousreply 93February 19, 2016 10:50 AM

Twinkle twinkle, little star

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 19, 2016 11:01 AM

With Elizabeth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 19, 2016 11:05 AM

The person who started the rumor was Kate Smith.

by Anonymousreply 96February 19, 2016 11:14 AM

R96, what did she say...? Speak, mon bebe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97February 19, 2016 11:22 AM

Smith was the "Songbird of the South" and was very unhappy that sweet little pretty slender Dixie Dinah was quickly becoming radio's top female star. It is likely the linked article might indicate Smith's unhappiness at Shore's popularity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98February 19, 2016 11:31 AM

Lol, R98, i love you. I want to rub your chin, kitten. What the fuck!

by Anonymousreply 99February 19, 2016 11:35 AM

I really like Dinah. She was well known as one of the most likable people in show business and exceptionally shrewd on managing her career. And during the '50s and '60s she was indeed a trailblazer on featuring African-American performers on her TV show. Ella Fitzgerald and Mahalia Jackson were on many times, and Jackson was so fond of Shore she kept a framed photo of Dinah by her bedside. And Dinah was an excellent interviewer. Her folksy manner and low voice put her guests at ease and she asked intelligent questions of them. Her chats with David Bowie and Iggy Pop are great, and Bowie adored her. Ditto Bob Dylan (see link). When Streisand was a guest star on Dinah's TV show, she didn't have a decent dress to wear so Dinah took her out shopping.

She was also known as a very hot fuck. I wish she was a lesbian, but she was really into guys. Sinatra was a both a friend and a long-time fuckbuddy of hers - they were hot and heavy even in the early '60s when she was still married to George Montgomery.

Diana had a real capacity for friendships - She remained close to Montgomery even after their divorce and both Montgomery and Burt Reynolds were by her bedside when she died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 19, 2016 11:49 AM

Dinah on "Laugh-In". How could you not love this woman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 19, 2016 11:52 AM

The Sensuous Woman - by D.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 19, 2016 11:55 AM

The photo with Dylan is very naughty...

Looking at these photos, i realize that she had also a beautiful pair of tits.

by Anonymousreply 103February 19, 2016 12:00 PM

Dinah and Jane Russell sing "The Ladies Who Lunch".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 19, 2016 12:10 PM

That was lovely, R104. I enjoyed it so much. Thank you!

R100, yes Dinah seemed very straight and she probably was. I bet it would take much effort for another woman to seduce Dinah. But nothing is impossible when there is a way. :P

by Anonymousreply 105February 19, 2016 12:19 PM

I really ADORE this thread. As a young gay boy I'd come home from Catholic School every afternoon and sit with grandmother and watch Dinah's show.

Dinah had an incredible personality which is why audiences loved her. I can believe it was Kate OR Lena who started that rumor.

Kate was talented but sang "race" songs back in the day (Heard Pickaninnies Heaven lately?.) While i realize many performers had to sing them, Kate willingly did it for too long, and with far more enthusiasm.

Lena was a class A bitch. Even when people were nice to her she was a pain in the ass. No better example exists than when she appeared on The Judy Garland Show. Her biggest MGM film, Cabin In The Sky was directed by Judy's husband Vincente Minnelli. Judy herself was always friends with her and both had MGM war stories. Nevertheless when they did their duet together, Judy normally looked at Lena to interact with her, Lena almost never glanced her way. The essential book about Garland's show details more of Lena's birchy behavior, so I can easily see Lena looking to harm Dinah too.

by Anonymousreply 106February 19, 2016 12:48 PM

Dinah with daughter Melissa and adopted son John, about 1965

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 19, 2016 1:31 PM

It wouldn't have made any sense for Lena to have started the rumor because, if true, it would have made Dinah PERFECT casting for Julie in Show Boat.

by Anonymousreply 108February 19, 2016 2:11 PM

1970: Dinah & Frank make Frank's fresh tomato sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109February 19, 2016 3:10 PM

Frank & Diana enjoy a plate of pasta.

It's one of the most relaxed I've ever seen Sinatra. He became buds with Dinah in the late '30s when they sang for free on WNEW in NYC. I loved them chatting about both of them starting out and kids making it in show business. "No road shows, no dance bands....."

Sorry its not the whole thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110February 19, 2016 3:14 PM

Frank also often sang at the gala dinners during Dinah's annual golf tournament in Palm Spring in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Dinah introduced her good friend Barbara Marx to Frank, and the two were soon married. Dinah, however, was disinvited to the wedding by Frank because Dinah had urged Barbara not to marry Frank, due to his temper.

And, if Frank's valet, George Simon, and Zsa Zsa Gabor are to be believed, Frank and Dinah had a decades-long "romantic affair." George casually mentions in his memoir "Mr. S." that Frank's only pre-Oscar over night guest was Dinah, who stayed over frequently even though she was married to George Montgomery at the time. When Zsa Zsa, who despised Frank Sinatra after he wouldn't leave one night and she had sex with him just to get him to go home, was asked why she appeared as a guest in his Vegas act she replied "I didn't fear rape that night because Frank was being sexually satisfied by Dinah Shore."

by Anonymousreply 111February 19, 2016 3:19 PM

She is not black. Both parents were Russian Eskimos.

by Anonymousreply 112February 19, 2016 3:31 PM

Dinah Shore had a great voice, she did what is smooth jazz and was excellent at it. Not with all that caterwauling that sucks but people like. It's like how people now think using electric voice altering is singing.

by Anonymousreply 113February 19, 2016 3:48 PM

r113 You need your hearing checked honey. Great voice? No. Great personality? Yes.

by Anonymousreply 114February 19, 2016 4:26 PM

Cougar Dinah interviews a young Olivia Newton-John.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115February 19, 2016 5:50 PM

Swinging with Peggy Lee. When it comes to jazz, Dinah can hold her own very well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116February 19, 2016 6:45 PM

Dinah Shore was Jewish. God people, you want to cursee her with something worse by saying she's part black? Have mercy.

by Anonymousreply 117February 19, 2016 6:52 PM

That jazzy swinging sound in r116 was what Cybill Shepherd desperately and dismally tried to recreate in her sitcom decades later, even having the audacity to have guest stars like Tony Bennett helping her self-indulge.

by Anonymousreply 118February 19, 2016 6:56 PM

I like this thread a lot, too.

Dinah's eyes and boobs relax me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119February 19, 2016 9:06 PM

Let's get real - it was Helen Lawson and we all know it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 19, 2016 9:13 PM

Now you are being objective, R120. Very well!

by Anonymousreply 121February 19, 2016 9:15 PM

The eye-poppingly vibrant color quality of the 1950s-early 60s videotaped of Dinah's show is amazing. NBC (and parent company RCA) had developed color TV technology earlier than CBS or ABC, and the quality was much higher than any subsequent color videotape. NBC filmed Dinah, Bob Hopes band Perry Como's shows in color and years later gave each performer the option of buying the color masters for $40,000 or getting black-and-white copies for free. Dinah was the only one who opted to buy her color shows while Hope & Como let NBC erase theirs.

by Anonymousreply 122February 19, 2016 10:05 PM

Thanks R104 for that clip, I would have never imagined Dinah and Jane Russell singing together.

by Anonymousreply 123February 20, 2016 1:53 AM

She was a lesbonic

by Anonymousreply 124July 27, 2017 12:35 AM

f33, Pearl was great there.

by Anonymousreply 125July 27, 2017 12:55 AM

Regarding Dinah's voice, most of you are just listening to her from the 50's, where she was just OK (or worse, the 70's, where she was indeed horrible). But if you listen to her recordings from the early 1940's you would have a different opinion. She sang light jazzy and pop songs and was very good. That's what made her popular. From 1950's onward she relied more on personality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 27, 2017 1:08 AM

No matter when you listen to her, Dinah's voice sucked. Just so thin and barely melodic at all. That she managed to become as busy and ultimately as rich as she did is a testament to her ability to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Like a previous poster, I came home from Catholic school in the 70's and watched Dinah SHore as I did my homework. My mother, who was a lot younger (about 25 years younger) than Dinah (who would be 101 this year) hated Dinah. HATED her. Apparently her promiscuity and cheating on "that nice George Montgomery) did not sit well with the housewives of the 60's and she was thought to be a tramp and her southern charm just made it more grating for them. Not surprised at all that the rumors about her took hold. They hated her.

One of the things my mom would say, when in a cattier mood, was that Dinah Shore only wore long skirts or pants. You never saw her legs. And her arms too were rather Mushy. Mom thought she probably had Babuschka legs and arms, all wobbly and varicose veined. (Somewhat supported by the photo of her a Ilsa, she-wolf of the SS on Laugh-IN) She suspected the same thing about Suzanne Pleshette, who also never wore anything that showed her legs.

It was a different time.

by Anonymousreply 127July 27, 2017 2:46 AM

OP, the other singer was Kate Smith.

Through the 1930s Smith (who had one of the greatest singing voices) was well known as radio's "Songbird of the South" ...but that title passed to the young, svelte and sexy Shore when she first achieved popularity in the early '40s. Suddenly it was Shore who was the Southern belle listeners clamored for and sponsored paid much more to advertise with Dinah than with Kate, who despite her sunny public face was hard-nosed and tough and deeply resented Shore's popularity.

Some months ago came across a newspaper article on Google from 1941 or 42 which pointed out how Dinah had taken Kates's crown, but I can't find it now...

by Anonymousreply 128July 27, 2017 2:50 AM

Dinah was a HUGE star in the 1950s because of her enormously popular weekly Sunday night TV variety hour. And she was a fashion icon. Women (and young gay boys) eagerly watched her show anticipating what she'd be wearing.

She was certainly one of the most famous women of the decade, right up there with Lucille Ball, Marilyn Monroe, Mamie Eisenhower and Arlene Francis.

by Anonymousreply 129July 27, 2017 3:11 AM

Have to give credit to Hollywood for the glam makeover they did on her. Here's the before look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 27, 2017 2:47 PM

And.......?

by Anonymousreply 131July 27, 2017 10:19 PM

here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 27, 2017 10:49 PM

here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 27, 2017 10:49 PM

here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 27, 2017 10:51 PM

Dinah Shore was a very lovely lady, but she wasn't photogenic. She could be photographed to look the best she could and she was warm and gracious on television.

As for the racial issue, that alleged that Dinah was black or part black, was a rumor for years. She made no issue of it and in fact, I think she was flattered. She greatly admired black performers. She abhored that the rumor was said with a racist slant, which it was.

by Anonymousreply 135July 27, 2017 11:12 PM

I read on DL that the rumor was started by the singer, Jo Stafford. I don't know much about Miss Stafford. What was her personality like?

by Anonymousreply 136July 27, 2017 11:15 PM

Lana Turner would watch Dinah's TV show at home and would constantly criticize the way Dinah dressed, the outfits she wore and especially picked on her shoes.

Later, Lana appeared on Dinah's show and Dinah was warm and gracious as always. Lana was very warm and friendly to her. I think she stopped criticizing Dinah afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 137July 27, 2017 11:26 PM

How do you know what Lana did at home?

by Anonymousreply 138July 28, 2017 1:03 AM

R138, Lana's assistant, Taylor Pero, wrote a book about her and their time together. He mentioned that Lana always criticized Dinah Shore while she was watching her show. The book is "Always, Lana". It was published in the 1980s, around the time Lana's autobiography was published.

Taylor Pero faced many challenges when he was under Lana's employ. Yet, I got the feeling he was a prima donna himself. He was gay, or rather bisexual as he described himself. He despised Lana's hairdresser, Eric Root.

R137 (Obvious Eldergay, age 54)

by Anonymousreply 139July 28, 2017 1:15 AM

It was said she had a black boyfriend and she gave birth to a black baby. I would ask was the guy, Sammy Davis?

by Anonymousreply 140July 28, 2017 1:39 AM

But this whole notion of Dinah being somewhat less than photogenic shows no understanding of television celebrity in the middle of the last century. Many much-loved TV stars were ordinary looking, not what we would consider particularly beautiful or handsome today: Arlene Francis, Fay Emerson, Steve Allen, Garry Moore, Ann Sothern, Eve Arden, Walter Cronkite, many others.

Audiences seemed to like more relateable types back then and Dinah fit the bill perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 141July 28, 2017 3:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!