Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sixteen Candles’ Jake Ryan is 53 Today! Where Is Michael Schoeffling Now?

It’s a big day for John Hughes fans, as Sixteen Candles heartthrob Michael Schoeffling, who played dream guy Jake Ryan, celebrates his birthday today!

It’s been nearly 30 years since the teen cult classic came out, and we can hardly believe it, but Michael is turning the big 5-3! Born on December 10, 1960 in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, Michael peaked in the industry at 23 as quiet, plaid-wearing dreamboat Jake. However, showing Molly Ringwald’s Sam that dreams come true turned out to be a problem for Mikey S.

After the film, he appeared in only eight more movies and one television show before disappearing off the map. These included Vision Quest, Mermaids, and Wild Hearts Can’t Be Broken, with the last of those, in 1991, his final movie before retiring from the industry at the ripe age of 31.

Although he gave some interviews after, talking about how hard it was to find good roles once the magic wore off, he’s largely vanished. In a 2004 article, The Washington Post said that he hadn’t really been seen or heard from in years, having married a woman named Valerie, raised a couple kids, and worked as a carpenter in Pennsylvania.

The rumor is that Michael’s wife is named Valerie Robinson, and that she (a former model) and Michael live in Newfoundland, Pennsylvania with their two kids, Scarlet and Zane. Though many have tried to find him, tracking down the handcrafted furniture shop he is said to be running, no one has been successful.

We miss you, Jake Ryan — yeah, you — and hope, as you blow out your 53 candles, you remember that we’ll always love you, wherever you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2312/14/2013

Longtime Companion was the first "gay" movie I ever saw and MS was my fantasy boyfriend for years. Minus the aids.

I loved how every scene with him and his blond boyfriend had them in some kind of physical contact.

by Anonymousreply 112/11/2013

I don't think his character had aids r1.

by Anonymousreply 212/11/2013

What a depressing pronouncement, OP!

by Anonymousreply 312/11/2013

I was born on that exact day.

by Anonymousreply 412/11/2013

I wonder how he stays so elusive. You would think there would be at least ONE recent pic of him.

He must REALLY want nothing to do with show business anymore.

by Anonymousreply 512/11/2013

He's clearly changed his name/identity...

by Anonymousreply 612/11/2013

Who else reached his level of fame and then just left? Most come crawling back at some point.

by Anonymousreply 712/11/2013

He could've stayed in the business and still remained hidden. Should've just taken a role in "Smash." No one would've seen him there.

by Anonymousreply 812/11/2013

Even a low rated show like Smash still gets about a million viewers.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2013

This is supposed to be a recent picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1012/11/2013

Damn. Boy's got some demons if he's been able to stay off the internet grid like that.

by Anonymousreply 1112/11/2013

I thought he was married to that witch from the (extra) shitty soap Passions.

by Anonymousreply 1212/11/2013

r10, that can't be him. DO you have the right guy?

by Anonymousreply 1312/11/2013

Is this his line of business?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1412/11/2013

Yes, he is now a furniture maker.

by Anonymousreply 1512/11/2013

I'm not kidding, he lived in my apartment building in Queens up to at least five years ago. He was / is a carpenter. I don't know if he changed his name, I never talked to him, but I saw him dozens of times and I am one thousand percent sure it was him. He looked like hell, and had a ponytail. But I was OBSESSED with him and would know that face anywhere. I should've talked to him but he was obviously always wanting to be left alone.

by Anonymousreply 1612/11/2013

R10, that's not him. I read an article about him about two years ago, with him in his workshop, and he looks the same - just more mature.

by Anonymousreply 1712/11/2013

I kind of love him for bailing on it all.

So many of them go the desperation route and kick and scream their way to their bottom. He was self aware enough to realize he wasn't going to be happy finding his way (possibly) to the middle so he has moved on to something else that I hope he loves equally, if not more.

No E-Hollywood True Story, no Celebrity Rehab, no reality show, just 'see ya later, bye'. More should try it.

by Anonymousreply 1812/11/2013

His daughter Scarlet is a model. His son DJs under the name Lank Robinson. Each kid is the spit of their mom and dad.

by Anonymousreply 1912/11/2013

R2: During David's funeral, his blond bf gives a eulogy and if you rewatch you'll notice he's starting to look sick.

It's also implied at the end that we're only seeing Fuzzy, his sister and bf cause everyone else is dead.

by Anonymousreply 2012/14/2013

I'm in loves with him.

by Anonymousreply 2112/14/2013

Here is his daughter's instagram.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2212/14/2013

I want a chair made by Jake Ryan!

by Anonymousreply 2312/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!