Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Chromebook

I just got one. It's pretty damn cool - works smoothly with no delays, spinning rainbow wheels, etc. Damn cheap, too!

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 3112/13/2013

A toy.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 112/02/2013

He plays with toys.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 212/02/2013

I could have sold you mine. I hate it don't use it. Won it in contest. It has a fucking i3 processor, it sucks, baby, sucks.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 312/02/2013

A question for Chromebook users: does it have a hard drive onto which you can save files, and if so, how do you access it?

My father has one, and I couldn't back up his camera pix onto the damn Chromebook for him, because I couldn't get into the file manager to locate a drive to store them on.

I'd really like to know.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 412/03/2013

Yes, it does. Go to the Libraries/photos.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 512/03/2013

You store it in the Chromebook cloud, R4.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 612/03/2013

What's the point of a Chromebook? You need an Internet to have it work. You can't save anything on it except on the cloud. You can't install software on it. It's basically a tablet without apps and touchscreen.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 712/03/2013

R7, BINGO!

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 812/03/2013

R7, the apps can be downloaded from the Chromestore.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 912/03/2013

I got the HP 14" in white. It's lovely. 9 hours of battery power, nice screen, very fast, light. It was less than $300, and with Karma WiFi, I'm always online. Just great. I have a high-end business HP laptop (Windows 7) and a MacBook Air, but I haven't needed to use them since getting this thing - oh, except for Silverlight, which one site I like uses for some reason. :)

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 1012/11/2013

Google is Satan.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 1112/11/2013

r4 here again.

If I go to "Libraries/photos" on the Chromebook and try to save files there, will they be saved on the computer itself or in the cloud?

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 1212/12/2013

[R12] The Chromebook itself has a limited file storage space. When you purchase a Chromebook you received 100gb of Google Drive,thus saving documents/pictures are geared more towards to the cloud. But you can save some pictures to the Chromebook under photos if you wish. There should be two options of Downloads and Google drive. You could also save to a potable hard drive or a SD card.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 1312/12/2013

[quote]I have a high-end business HP laptop (Windows 7) and a MacBook Air, but I haven't needed to use them since getting this thing - oh, except for Silverlight, which one site I like uses for some reason. :)

So Chromebooks can't do Silverlight?? Doesn't Netflix and a whole bunch of sites use this?

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 1412/12/2013

Can Chromebooks do screen recordings?

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 1512/12/2013

I have a lot of selfies and nude videos on my computer. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable storing all that in the cloud. I guess I can't get a Chromebook.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 1612/12/2013

With our open bar access to Google servers, everything is belong to us. Oh, and never mind the encryption: we have a copy of Google's private key.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 1712/12/2013

I would never put anything on the cloud.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 1812/12/2013

R14, I'm able to watch Netflix - just not Chaosmen.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 1912/12/2013

OP got suckered.

ONLY works when there's a wireless connection. Cannot work off-line. Doesn't run any actual apps. Only web-pages and "apps" written as web pages.

And everything you do goes through Google's servers, every character you type, for them to data-mine and make money off of.

OP, you're a tool.

I can't imagine why anyone would be stupid enough to buy a Chromebook.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 2012/12/2013

Wal-Mart is selling a Dell Inspirion with 6 GB RAM and 500GB hard drive for $398. Granted, no software, but why would you take a Chromebook over that.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 2112/12/2013

[quote]Can Chromebooks do screen recordings?

Chromebook is just a hardware browser. If you can't do it in a browser, you can't do it on a Chromebook.

It's an expensive, under-powered toy for suckers with more money than sense.

It's an inert brick if you don't have a wireless connection.

It's a waste of time and money.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 2212/12/2013

I know the answer is all over Google (again!) but... Is it possible to buy a Chromebook and install an other OS on what little persistent storage it has (Linux? Windows? Mac OS?). Or add an SDD and make it happen?

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 2312/12/2013

No.

In every case, you wouldn't want to anyway. You can find an actual laptop that runs the OS you want for a comparable price with comparable hardware specs.

It's simply not worth the bother.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 2412/12/2013

Thanks R24!

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 2512/12/2013

They need to make something that's like a Chromebook but that can run apps as well (like a tablet.) I guess Windows 8 is sort of like that, so why can't Google do it?

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 2612/12/2013

R26, there are PLENTY of apps for Chromebook, believe me. But you have to go to the Chromebookstore online to download them for free or purchase them----and you have to be using Chrome browser while you are doing it. You can do it right now on your computer using a Chrome browser and see what the store has foryou.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 2712/12/2013

They're only "apps" in the same way that web-pages are apps. They're HTML5 code running in a special browser mode that makes them sorta look like "apps". But they're web pages, and need an active internet connection to function.

Which is just stupid for most people.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 2812/12/2013

You can install Linux on most Chromebooks, as far as I know. It's also possible to add a larger capacity SSD as well.

But Windows machines really don't cost that much more.

Still, if I couldn't afford a Macbook I'd think about a Chromebook running Linux because I can't stand Windows 8.1.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 2912/12/2013

That would make sense R29, since, AFAIK, Chromebook's minimalist OS runs on top of a Linux Kernel.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 3012/12/2013

Chromebooks are for suckers and haters.

by Yes, it's made in China :(reply 3112/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!