Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Angela Lansbury calls the remake of Murder She Wrote a "mistake"

She praises Octavia Spencer but condemns the idea of doing a reboot. One of the responders in the article calls Lansbury "racist and bitter." I call whoever wrote that a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 11411/18/2013

She's right, they could do something original. Who needs a remake of "Murder She Wrote"?

by Anonymousreply 111/11/2013

Its not even a remake. Its a reimagining. They're just using the title and her name but are going off in a new direction. Jessica Fletcher in the medical profession.

The network wants another Castle but hopes the MSW brand will automatically draw an audience in. Network product at its laziest.

by Anonymousreply 311/11/2013

They should at least give the character another name and make her Jessica's cousin. Don't mind them redoing the concept though. The whole show is a stolen concept anyway, even back then. And yet it worked.

by Anonymousreply 511/11/2013

Angie is right.

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2013

Color has nothing to do with it. Jessica Fletcher is an old lady.

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2013

Let's not kid ourselves, ladies! Even though the remake idea itself is pretty awful, the race issue just adds fuel to the fire. And rightfully so-how would the black people feel if someone decided to remake The Cosby show with an all white cast?!

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2013

Jessica from Cabin Cove, would NEVER have a negro cousin.

by Anonymousreply 911/11/2013

That's slightly different. Cosby show always had the underlying tone that Afro-American families can be successful middle class like whites. I don't think this matters here. Jessica Fletcher can be anything as long as she is single and a senior citizen.

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2013

Octavia Spencer said when she met with the NBC honchos, they asked her what kind of show SHE would like to do, she said her favorite shows were "Colombo" and "Murder, She Wrote," that she loves why didn't they just create a new series for her rather than "re-imagine" one of those programs? So lazy.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2013

Why can't she play Jessica's English cousin? What was her name?

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2013

I agree R13, NBC blew it.

Octavia Spencer is very entertaining in the supporting roles I have seen her undertake. They could have used Murder She Wrote as a template without having to explicitly state it.

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2013

This is like SJP being peeved at the Carrie Diaries.

Actors are only the hired help. They don't own a character.

But they are insecure; someone else might do it better.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2013

[quote] They could have used Murder She Wrote as a template without having to explicitly state it.

I agree, sweetie darling.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2013

Hollywood studio and TV network producers are so creatively bankrupt. Indie movies and cable TV is where it's at right now.

I don't think this bodes well for Octavia. They did a reboot of an old TV show with Blair Underwood in the lead role, and that show didn't even air three episodes before networks pulled the plug.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2013

Blair Underwood was SO good in A Little Night Music in LA. She should have got to do it on Broadway over CZJ.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2013

Frankly R13 I would rather see Octavia Spencer in a re-imagining of Colombo. That I would watch.

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2013

[quote]if someone decided to remake The Cosby show with an all white cast?!

They did. It's called Every Fucking Sitcom Ever Made.

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2013

I like that idea, R21. Couldn't care less about MSW.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2013

There would be more scope to do female Columbo. Jessica Flethcher wasn't very interesting, and I love Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2013

Reason why Peter Falk won Emmys for Columbo, while Angie was shut out 12 times for MSW

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2013

[quote]There would be more scope to do female Columbo.

LOVE IT! We just need to find an actress with a wonky eye. Is Shannon Doherty avaiable?

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2013

R19: That is completely irrelevant. They sued because their likeness was used, not because the role was used.

Angela Lansbury is going to have difficulty claiming a black woman is stealing her look.

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2013

[quote]This is like SJP being peeved at the Carrie Diaries.

or Mr. Ed being peeved at SLP.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2013

They missed the part where Landsbury said they should have called it 'Foxy Brown', instead.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2013

You would think the recent bombing of "Ironside" would make NBC at least go....hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2013

Is Landsbury actually a name? I wonder why people often add a d.

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2013

[quote] There would be more scope to do female Columbo.

Already tried that.

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2013

Tell me about it, R36.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2013

Well, they remade "Hawaii Five-O" and it's a success...

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2013

I know, R40. It's as if they just throw whatever shit at the wall, these days, to see what sticks. And if you're gonna remake a show like this, then at least find another old, white woman to star in it. Bruce Jenner could probably use the work.

by Anonymousreply 3611/11/2013

Using her logic, Lansbury never should have done the remake of Gypsy. Her disasterous return to Mame should have taught her that some things are over for the original.

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2013

Octavia could be fun as Mrs Lovett.

by Anonymousreply 3911/11/2013

People are so quick to call others "racist." Everyone likes to feel righteous, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 4011/11/2013

The whole project does seem wholly unnecessary. However, Octavia's casting is the only interesting thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 4111/11/2013

Is there some sort of Black Oscar Winners/Nominated Curse? It seems like as soon as they win an Oscar, the very next project is a total trainwreck (Halle Berry-Catwoman),lowbrow direct to dvd quality, (Cuba Gooding Jr - Boat Trip ) or a major step backwards to television ( Gabourey Sidibe -Coven ) and now Octavia to MSW on NBC???

I guess if I was an actor whom had starved and struggled for years and finally made it , I would still take just about any paying role, but why is so much more common with these very talented Black actors?

by Anonymousreply 4211/11/2013

"It's not even a remake. Its a reimagining. They're just using the title and her name but are going off in a new direction. Jessica Fletcher in the medical profession."

What? The medical profession?

And to the poster who thinks Lansbury shouldn't complain about a revised version of MURDER, SHE WROTE because she herself has played some stage roles that were created by others: Oh yes, because that's EXACTLY the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 4311/11/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 4411/11/2013

Since it's called Murder, She Wrote, shouldn't the lead character be a writer?

Is the hospital worker also a writer?

It could be good, with the right scripts an guest stars.

And Olivia knows how to sling a line, so that's something to look forward to.

by Anonymousreply 4511/11/2013

Since no black people live in Maine, I don't believe they should have it take place in Cabot Cove.

by Anonymousreply 4611/11/2013

She has to be a writer, that's why she can travel all over hell and creation. If you work in a hospital you aren't going out to LA one week and to London the next...that's crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4711/11/2013

r53 "Murder She...Diagnosed?"

by Anonymousreply 4811/11/2013

r56, there was already "Diagnosis: Murder" starring Dick Van Dyke.

by Anonymousreply 4911/11/2013

Calling it Murder She Wrote has gotten it a lot of attention, which I would guess is the intent.

by Anonymousreply 5011/11/2013

"Using her logic, Lansbury never should have done the remake of Gypsy."

Wow, it's starting to sound like Angela used to star in 'Martyr She Wrote'.

by Anonymousreply 5111/11/2013

[quote]Since it's called Murder, She Wrote, shouldn't the lead character be a writer?

The new series features Octavia Spencer as some kind of medical administrator in a hospital setting who has just published her first murder mystery.

by Anonymousreply 5211/11/2013

since Angela was upset with Patty Duke winning the Oscar n would not allow her to be on Murder she wrote, maybe. Octiva will allow Patty Duke to be on this version lol

by Anonymousreply 5411/11/2013

Of course there have been oodles of Miss Marples.

by Anonymousreply 5711/11/2013

You mean it shouldn't have 67 posts, R67.

by Anonymousreply 5911/11/2013

Or 69. Ooooooooo 69

by Anonymousreply 6011/11/2013

That's the best you can do Lansbury Loon R51? Lansbury's Gypsy was considered a desecration by Merman Morons. She took a pushy, obnoxious New York Jew and turned her into a patrician WASP with a British accent. To go even further, Jule Styne came in to try to coach her to sing like Merman. If Lansbury believes that shows, TV or otherwise, have to be true to their origins, then she was completely wrong for the part and shouldn't have done it.

She does sound very ungracious about her ownership of roles. Merman was asked if she would follow Lansbury into Broadway after her "Gypsy" and the Merm responded "I wouldn't follow Angela with anything but a shovel."

by Anonymousreply 6111/11/2013

Merman wasn't Jewish and Rose is from Seattle. And Lansbury was NOT a patrician WASP in GYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 6211/11/2013

She played it like a patrician WASP. Jule Styne said that she just couldn't get past being a lady and that was why she was ineffective in the part.

And Merman might not have been Jewish but the entire world thought she was. Her persona certainly suggested as much.

by Anonymousreply 6311/11/2013

[quote] she just couldn't get past being a lady and that was why she was ineffective in the part.

Her Tony says otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 6411/11/2013

Next up: Gabourey Sidibe in "Fatlock." This fall on the CW.

by Anonymousreply 6511/11/2013

Well, I thought Angela's remake of "Gaslight" was a mistake. The original was way better.

She needs to sit herself down.

by Anonymousreply 6611/11/2013

Who is the idiot telling all these LIES about Lansbury's GYPSY?

First, she didn't play it with a British accent, you dipshit. Lansbury has been doing American accents since she was 17, and perfected them. In fact, if you see her in interviews now, she speaks with an American accent. Her "Brit" has all but disappeared by this point. (Same thing with Liz Taylor).

The only cavils about Lansbury's Gypsy were that she wasn't the belter that Merman was - although she sounded great in the role, and won her third Tony for it. She didn't play it "patrician" at all.

Just like Merman didn't play it "Jewish." You're an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. NO ONE thought Merman was Jewish, because she made a point of telling people she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 6711/11/2013

So, basically they are rebooting a slightly tweaked "Diagnosis: Murder" and calling it "Murder, She Wrote"? Can a reboot of "Matlock" or "Quincy M.E." be that far behind?

Oh, wait, I shouldn't be giving them any ideas...

by Anonymousreply 6811/11/2013

I'd actually enjoy Octavia in a rebooted Columbo. She's a seasoned police detective who annoys everybody but whose crafty mind is picking up on the one thing the murderer forgot.

by Anonymousreply 6911/11/2013

Actually, she'd be great in the reboot of "She's The Sheriff".

by Anonymousreply 7011/11/2013

I'm hearing rumors about Blake Lively starring in a program where she's a working-class diner waitress from Philadelphia who marries a wealthy doctor from a prestigious family.

Let me just say, Blake: I will cut a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7211/12/2013

Let me guess, you didn't bother to actually read what she said, did you, r82?

by Anonymousreply 7311/12/2013

I think the remake premise is clever.

The heroine is a budding amateur author who self-publishes, a real trend today. She's fascinated by true crime -- check out cable TV, who isn't? She writes under a pseudonym, so she can snoop without being asked "Hey aren't you that lady who writes about murder?" And, she has a job at a hospital, a perfect venue to intersect with the aftermath of different suspicious crimes.

In the current TV development marketplace, remakes and other gimmicks break through the noise. It doesn't mean they have to be bad. This could turn out to be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7411/12/2013

I think it's clever, too. Just wish they would go all the way with the concept and make Octavia one of Jessica's nieces.

by Anonymousreply 7511/12/2013

Octavia is Seth's daughter!

by Anonymousreply 7611/12/2013

Thanks, R72. Thanks for nothing, idiot at R71.

by Anonymousreply 7711/12/2013

She called the remake of The Manchurian Candidate a mistake too.

She was right. I WASN'T EVEN NOMINATED!!! Can you believe it!

by Anonymousreply 7811/12/2013

oops forgot to sign^^^

by Anonymousreply 7911/12/2013

Does anyone remember "Get Christie Love!".

That one is ripe for a reimagining.

by Anonymousreply 8011/12/2013

The idea is fine. Making her Jessica Fletcher and calling it "Murder, She Wrote" Is not. Change the title, and make her a fan of JB Fletcher's who was inspired by her idol to write. Then bring in Angie for a two-part November sweeps special - and watch the ratings skyrocket. You could even make Diahann Carroll Octavia's glamorous aunt who is a friend of Jessica's, and that opens the door for Jessica's visit.

Them the aunt can show up and get involved in mysteries herself.

by Anonymousreply 8111/13/2013

Whitney Houston tried to do a Get Christie Love reboot. Kerry Washington could do a movie version.

by Anonymousreply 8211/13/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 8311/13/2013

R95, sorry, but I think this was purposelessly done.This is a role that calls for an older white lady who is a mystery writer ,and who lives in a sea side East Coast town. I think this was done purposely because the PC hipster patrol were probably saying, we need to be politically correct by making her younger, and black. We have to cater to this generation by having an African American woman play this role too. We can't have someone play the role who is from a generation WHO WE consider to be a racist generation!

by Anonymousreply 8511/13/2013

Angela Lansbury said the same thing about The Manchurian Candidate. She said: I don't understand how you can remake that movie, or even want to … And she was RIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 8611/13/2013

NBC is just trying to use THE NAME to sell another crime show, that's all. Same as they did with "Ironside," so-called reboot. Miserable failure. NBC has very bad management. They cancel their hit shows and put on lousy reboots.

by Anonymousreply 8711/13/2013

You don't fuck with the gimmick.

Replacing white people with black people.

You just don't. It doesn't work. That's proven.

Just don't.

by Anonymousreply 8911/13/2013

Just wait until the remake "The Help" with Nicole Kidman playing Minny.

by Anonymousreply 9011/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 9111/13/2013

[quote]They cancel their hit shows and put on lousy reboots.

Hahahahaha ... when has NBC has a "hit show" recently?

by Anonymousreply 9211/13/2013

Clever, R102.

Another idiot who hasn't the brain function to comprehend the difference.

by Anonymousreply 9311/13/2013

Love R92's suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 9411/14/2013

The thing that is odd is that Murder She Wrote was a CBS show. I guess NBC must have bought the rights to the show including the title. That must be why they are so all-fired intent on using the title. They probably paid a fortune for it. MSW was a very popular show for many years, but I agree with R92.

by Anonymousreply 9511/17/2013

r107, I think it's because "Murder, She Wrote" was made by Universal, and Universal merged with NBC about ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 9611/17/2013

They already remade Columbo.

It's called Law and Order Criminal Intent.

by Anonymousreply 9711/17/2013

Remember the black version of The Honeymooners? Awful.

I would have bought a black Flintstones with the right casting, though.

by Anonymousreply 9811/17/2013

People want at least one more "Murder She Wrote" tv movie. Jesus, Hallmark should be front the dough for that crap!

by Anonymousreply 9911/18/2013

Even Wendy hated the black version of the Honeymooners, and while she wants to see Octavia in a detective series where they use their brains instead of guns and car chases, she doesn't think Murder, She Wrote will work.

Steal the plot and call it something else. Simple.

by Anonymousreply 10011/18/2013

I heard they are setting the show in Detriot and Octavia's Jessica is a gossipy manicurist in a seedy salon. Gunshots are heard constantly outside the salon and Jessie Fletcher is always one upping the fuzz on who killed the drug dealers.

by Anonymousreply 10111/18/2013

Sure it's a mistake to remake Murder She Wrote. It's going to fail. So it really doesn't matter

by Anonymousreply 10211/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!