Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Downside Of Losing Lots Of Weight

[quote]"Everything starts sagging, and you've got stretch marks, and clothes fit differently, you're kind of panicking, and you're saying, 'Am I doing the right thing? Because this shirt doesn’t look right,'" she says. "I was very, very – I don't want to say depressed, but I would get really down on myself about, like, 'I'm not doing this correctly,' or, 'This isn't what it's supposed to look like.'"

Despite my bmi and level of fitness, I always see the excess skin and those fucking stretch marks. A Gemini Unitarian once grabbed the excess skin on my hips as I plowed his ass. I knew the relationship was over.

It's not dysmorphia. I wanted fitness and I paid for it.

by fucking geminisreply 6311/15/2013

You can get rid of at least the excess skin with a little cosmetic medical attention, OP.

But it's going to cost you.

by fucking geminisreply 111/11/2013

The older you get the better you age with a bit of weight packed on, especially your face. Superfit older men always have gaunt wrinkly faces.

by fucking geminisreply 211/11/2013

She lost 160lbs. Stretch marks and sagging are to be expected.

by fucking geminisreply 311/11/2013

I can't find the ugly pics in the links to her blog article.

by fucking geminisreply 411/11/2013

Let it load and then scroll sideways, R4.

by fucking geminisreply 511/11/2013

I'm sorry but I would rather be fat than look like those pics. Her body looks completely hideous. A friend of mine lost 100 pounds last year and looked exactly like that after also. She gained the weight back.

by fucking geminisreply 611/11/2013

That's pretty brave of her. I wonder who the hot naked guy is.

by fucking geminisreply 711/11/2013

The only thing I'm taking away from this thread is "Gemini Unitarian" splendidly specific!

by fucking geminisreply 811/11/2013

The sagging etc., would not be fun but your joints would thank you. Your heart would thank you as well. I work with a man who lost over 200 pounds, instead of insulin shots he now runs 8 miles a day and enjoys every minute of the run. He will get to see his sons grow up. We spend most of our day clothed after all. It would be sad to be fit but not like the way you look naked, however there is so much more to life than appearance. We age, our bodies change dramatically, is it important? No.

by fucking geminisreply 911/11/2013

What kind of fucking moron doesn't realize that losing that amount of weight is going to leave behind stretched out skin??

by fucking geminisreply 1011/11/2013

Her before > Her after

No, this needs to be fixed.

by fucking geminisreply 1111/11/2013

R9 you sound very profound and enlightened but I'm sorry--physical attractiveness does matter. Especially if you are single. Unless you are seeking someone blind.

by fucking geminisreply 1211/11/2013

Am I looking at the wrong link? She looks great.

by fucking geminisreply 1311/11/2013

My thoughts exactly R8! I may steal that as a pseudonym.

by fucking geminisreply 1411/11/2013

[quote] I wonder who the hot naked guy is.

I think that's her boyfriend or husband.

by fucking geminisreply 1511/11/2013

I'm having a vertical sleeve gastrectomy done on January 15. I have 100 pounds to lose at age 39. I'm prepared to have a fair amount of sagging, but I don't care. I've fought this and failed for 25 years, and I'm done.

Will keep you guys posted for anyone interested.

by fucking geminisreply 1611/11/2013

R12, you're right. I'm single but never looking for someone so it does not matter to me. With that said some average and some attractive people never think they look good enough and I think that's a waste of happiness.

by fucking geminisreply 1711/11/2013

Good for you r16. Good luck to you.

by fucking geminisreply 1811/11/2013

Why is she constantly in wedding dresses?

Anyway she looks great in clothes now. It was definitely the right decision.

by fucking geminisreply 1911/11/2013

She lost it too quickly. The same thing will happen with the vertical sleeve. It's completely unnecessary.

I'm working with a woman in her fifties (trainer). She went to a nutritionist, and works out regularly. In two years she's lost 100 pounds, and though there's a bit of an apron, and a little bit of sagging, she is mostly pretty fit and firm. She has a bit of stretch marks on her lower abdomen, but nothing like the woman in the picture.

If you take your time, your skin will mostly stretch back, particularly if you're younger. I had a 25 year old client who lost 150 pounds over 2 years, and you would never know he'd been that large. He has a little bit of stretch marks on the lower abdomen, but that's it.

Gastric is dangerous. And I have a client who did gastric and lost an enormous amount of weight really quickly. She has tons of skin hanging from her abdomen, and she keeps getting sores from the skin, and she's in a lot of discomfort. She will have to have the skin removed, and THAT is a very dangerous surgery, and she will have a significant scar going all the way across her lower abdomen.

The moral? Do it the RIGHT way. No one needs to lose 100 pounds in 6 months, that's bullshit. I know one guy who did this, and he had a heart attack from the quick weight loss (he's only 32).

by fucking geminisreply 2011/11/2013

The article says she started to lose weight just after her wedding in 2009 so I'm guessing husband R7. I think maybe the pics with wedding dresses is to show how far she'd come since then R19.

Wishing you success R16, I hope you find the body you want.

by fucking geminisreply 2111/11/2013

She is a young girl, only 29 I think.

I know I'll lose a lot of weight quickly with the sleeve. Probably 50 to 60 pounds in the first three or four months. It is going to be strange to not be able to control weight loss instead of the opposite.

However, I know getting the sleeve is the ONLY way I will finally stop regaining the 50 pounds I lose and gain, lose and gain EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

And I will never be able to overeat again without being sick or seriously injuring myself.

I am very active even at 100 pounds overweight; I plan to increase that even more along with weight training and take my chances with loose skin.

by fucking geminisreply 2211/11/2013

R22, Lose that fat whatever way works for you! The saggy skin is little price to pay for the health benefits.

The older you get the less your body can handle the fat. You seem determined enough. Just focus on how to eat correctly

Been there..

by fucking geminisreply 2311/11/2013

by fucking geminisreply 2411/11/2013

r22 why do you think this is the "ONLY" way? How are you losing 50 lbs every year without it? Why do you believe you will get sick or seriously injure yourself, if you overeat without this surgery?

It sounds like you are investing a lot in the idea that surgery will 'fix' you, or force you to alter bad habits. If you can find a way to face whatever is compelling you to overeat (which you recognize), and control it, you can reach your goals, without surgery.

r20, that's interesting that the saggy skin happens with rapid weight loss. Makes sense.

by fucking geminisreply 2511/11/2013

I've only lost 50 or 60 lbs over a few years and parts of my body look worse than before.

by fucking geminisreply 2611/12/2013

OMG why would she make that Web page??

Unfortunately, she desperately needs some restoration with cosmetic surgery.

by fucking geminisreply 2711/12/2013

R22 it'll be great. Sleeve will give you the chance to maintain the weight loss. Where are you having it done ?

by fucking geminisreply 2811/12/2013

There is no downside to losing a lot of weight.

by fucking geminisreply 2911/12/2013

R20 is right. If you lose the weight slowly, no more than 5 or 6 lbs per month, that won't happen to you. Particularly if you stay hydrated throughout.

I'm in my late 30rs and I've lost 75 lbs in the last 14 months through counting calories and going to the gym a few times a week. I probably could have lost it faster, but I didn't want the sagging. And in fact I have no sagging at all anywhere, not even an "apron" and that's where a lot of my weight was. I do have minor stretch marks on my thighs, but big deal.

Of course, if you're 200 lbs overweight, you may not have 4 years to take all that weight off. Sagging skin is preferable to diabetes and heart disease.

by fucking geminisreply 3011/12/2013

"What no one tells you about losing lots of weight"

Sorry, but this is common knowledge. Lots of experts and former fatties told the story of excessive weight loss and the sagging skin left behind.

by fucking geminisreply 3111/12/2013

You'll probably just gain the weight back after the sleeve because you haven't actually trained yourself about proper nutrition. Stop putting a time limit on your well being and just get fit for life. Commit to that instead of thinking it only matters if you accomplish it in a set period of time. You're a victim of the diet industry. They've convinced you that there's something wrong with you that everybody else does it right. It takes years to sort your body and well being out, especially if you're in or past your mid-30s. It's a journey. Commit to it and avoid fad diets and surgeries.

by fucking geminisreply 3211/12/2013

I heard that if you lose a lot of weight while lifting weights, doing cardio, and toning exercises, the extra skin will be minimal. Is that true? It seems like the people who have a lot of loose skin are the ones who just dieted themselves thin and didn't do much exercising.

by fucking geminisreply 3311/12/2013

Her body doesn't look much worse than Lena Dunham

by fucking geminisreply 3411/12/2013

I give her credit for the nude pictures, but I think it's a mistake to put them out there. YIKES

by fucking geminisreply 3511/12/2013

No bikini for the lady!

by fucking geminisreply 3611/12/2013

People think nothing of rehabbing a house when it needs work. Why is the body any different? These former fatties need to accept that they will have to have some surgery to get rid of the hanging skin. Her arms, legs and face look fine. It's really just her torso (breasts, belly, back) that needs rehab. So be it. Just do it.

by fucking geminisreply 3711/12/2013

I can't regain with the sleeve. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it wouldn't be possible without serious, even life threatening effects.

As it is now, I lose weight half of the year (about half what I need to lose), then my body gets "stuck" at that weight (about 220 is where it stops) and I plateau. After a month of that, I become so frustrated, I begin to go backwards and here comes the weight again. As it creeps up, so does my depression and then I slack off on exercise and eat more.

Judge me all you want, this is my hell, the same thing I've been dealing with since before puberty.

No, I literally cannot eat the same way I did before the sleeve. And the reason weight loss is SO incredibly rapid is that you lose about half the excess weight in the two weeks before surgery and for about three weeks after - because your stomach has a staple line vertically (and is 80% smaller than it used to be, now about the size of 3/4 of a banana instead of the size of a football).

Ingesting anything more than liquids, extremely mushy purees and other very soft foods (your stomach literally only being able to hold 1/4, then 1/2, then eventually 1 cup of anything at a time without vomiting and severe pain) keeps your calories extremely low, obviously. Therefore a ton of weight is lost. I don't necessarily prefer it to be so fast, but because I do not want to break that staple line and possibly DIE, I will follow my surgeon's orders EXACTLY.

After that weight loss will be at a more normal pace for the next year. The point is, it is highly, highly unlikely I would regain any of it, for once in my fucking life. I would have to eat things like ice cream ten times a day, and I hate sweets anyway, so quite unlikely.

I don't take this lightly, whatsoever.

by fucking geminisreply 3811/12/2013

Wanted to clarify, I meant to type: you lose the majority of the weight in the two weeks before and three MONTHS after surgery (not weeks). After being fully healed and stabilized, you are able to eat a normal amount of calories (for a woman) - about 1200 a day. Low enough to still lose at an average pace for the next year, and also maintain after.

by fucking geminisreply 3911/12/2013

One thing I would NOT do is have the skin removal surgery, or even a full lower body lift, if I get a whole of excess skin.

Now THAT is a dangerous surgery. The risks are quite high after (infection city and a LOT of drains that can cause problems) and you are still left with huge scars.

If you noticed, she titled some of the photos of the excess skin "ruins". That made me cry. Very apt.

by fucking geminisreply 4011/12/2013

R33, yes it's true. My 45 year old female friend lost about 120lbs, but she incorporated 5 days a week of weightlifting and only 30 minutes of cardio. She looks unfuckingbelievable. The lifting somehow keeps it all tight and when the fat came off she had this beautiful, sculpted body underneath. When she told me she was lifting I thought she was just going to get bigger, but she said (and proved) that's a misconception. She has her story and pics over on I'm on my my phone but will find it later when I get home.

It really is pretty amazing.

by fucking geminisreply 4111/12/2013

Wait R41, 30 minutes total per week or 30 minutes of cardio a day?

by fucking geminisreply 4211/12/2013

Hello. 30 minutes per day.

by fucking geminisreply 4311/12/2013

Weightlifting is probably the best thing anyone can do for their bodies. Fit, petite, large, "normal," -- whatever. LIFT WEIGHTS. Heavy weights, too.

by fucking geminisreply 4411/12/2013

Just took a look at her pictures. Hmm, is it normal to have THAT much lose skin? It looks like more fat just hanging off her body. She must have extremely low lean body mass. And she wasn't even that large before. I've seen pictures of larger folks that have lost weight and they don't look anywhere near what she does.

by fucking geminisreply 4511/12/2013

For her age, it seems odd to have SO much. Then again she lost close to 170 pounds in only a years time.

by fucking geminisreply 4611/12/2013

R42, 30 minutes a day.

I have another friend, same age who didn't lift weights, but dieted and spent about 2 hours a day 5 days a week doing cardio only. Treadmill, elliptical, and Zumba. She lost 60lbs but is super saggy. The difference in the two women is staggering. If I was an overweight woman, I'd get a trainer and start weight training ASAP.

by fucking geminisreply 4711/12/2013

R47 and anyone else - advice on finding the right trainer? I'm old. I don't want to end up with a know-it-all 21 year old nitwit that doesn't understand my needs

by fucking geminisreply 4911/12/2013

I had weight loss surgery 8 years ago at age 38 and lost 160 lbs in a year. My body isn't that dissimilar from hers; I'm 5'7", 145# now.

I haven't had plastic surgery yet due to the cost, though it remains a consideration. And there are plenty of times I'm frustrated with how I look. I hate having to wear long board shorts to the beach, I hate wearing body shaping undergarments (Spanx) with just about everything (especially in the summer), and the fact that my once glorious boobs now look like socks full of pennies just makes me sad.

But I'd take this over my 300# body any day of the week. And my partner of 17 years, who's been with me through thick and thin, is just fine with how I look.

by fucking geminisreply 5011/12/2013

I find the title of the article "What No One Tells You About Losing Lots of Weight" a little hard to stomach. It's misleading. I can't imagine that medical personnel didn't warn her about what to expect. She did no research on her own?

Yes, she lost the weight far too fast. I'm 49 and I lost 65 lbs over the course of a year and a half (from a high 213 to the 145 -150 range at 5'10"). The first 50 came of in the first year and the last 15 over the course of six months. I don't do any weights (beyond lifting grocery bags), but I became a compulsive walker (at least 5 miles a day). No sagging problems at all. Only a little bit of the "cottage cheese" look around the belly button and lower abdomen. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in, even when I was in my twenties when I was 135 lbs but had no muscle tone and some saddle bags that are now gone. The only difference is that my waist is a little thicker, but not much.

by fucking geminisreply 5111/12/2013

[quote]I can't regain with the sleeve. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it wouldn't be possible without serious, even life threatening effects.

Not true. Over 40% of people with the sleeve regain the weight.

[quote] Analyzing the results of the subgroup of 30 patients receiving only sleeve gastrectomy, we found a 3-year %EWL of 77.5% and 6+ year %EWL of 53.3%.

[quote]In this long-term report of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, it appears that after 6+ years the mean excess weight loss exceeds 50%. However, weight regain and de novo gastroesophageal reflux symptoms appear between the third and the sixth postoperative year.

Surgery works for some people because it gives them the kick in the butt they need to really change their life. It makes them think "I had to get fucking surgery. I better take this seriously now and stick to it." But they could have gotten the same results by just taking it seriously before and sticking to nutrition and exercise.

For others surgery works temporarily because the fear of bad things keeps them from overeating but eventually they realize their bodies have adjusted and can handle more food. Like the first group they need to just stick to nutrition and exercise.

Surgery for weight loss is like religion for good behavior. Sure the threat of punishment may get you to do the right thing but when you realize the loopholes, you'll sin again. You need to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

by fucking geminisreply 5211/13/2013

R41, please link it when you get the chance.

How much was she lifting?

by fucking geminisreply 5311/13/2013

I lost 43 or 44 pounds this year - changed my diet and commenced a workout regimen in January and by August I was at 140. I'm in my mid-40's, but even so, I didn't really see any stretchmarks, just maybe some very very faint areas of skin, mostly mid-abdomen, where you can see that the skin is not quite as taut against my physique.

I've gained back about 7 pounds where I'm stable, and I look better physically than since I was a teenager, when I lifted weights.

The downside, if you can call it that, is that I feel so out of place amongst my peers, almost ALL of whom are overweight or obese. When I go out, I'm in better shape than most people HALF my age, and it's weird to recognize how unhealthy people are now.

by fucking geminisreply 5411/13/2013

This thread is interesting as I've got 130 lbs ahead of me to lose. I've lost my first 10 lbs so that is my first victory. I was only doing cardio so far, but I plan now on adding some weight routines and walking. I'm going to try to avoid excessive sagging skin, but I'm doing this for my health as I'm soon to be 53 and my doctor told me if I don't start losing weight now, both diabetes and heart disease are likely to "get" me. I want to enjoy my 'elder-gay years' so am determined to take the weight off. I eat much healthier. BTW, my doctor recommended losing 5lbs a month but I tend to lose weight faster than that -- fast metabolism some people have said??

by fucking geminisreply 5511/13/2013

I lost 120 lbs over the course of about 2 1/2 years - no weight loss surgery involved. I didn't do weights, but tons of cardio (bike), pilates and yoga.

I had loose, somewhat flabby skin and stretch marks around my stomach, I'm stuck with the stretch marks (I kinda liked hearing them referred to as "tiger stripes"), tho the skin has tightened up over the last 2 years. It's still a little loose, but I don't think it'd even be considered surgical at this point, and I'm assuming if I stick with the exercise it will eventually fully tighten up again.

by fucking geminisreply 5611/13/2013

I also just started living healthily and am hoping to lose 60 lbs. Signed up to a website that lets me track every single thing I eat and also tells me how many calories I should eat. No exercise yet, might take out my trampoline again

by fucking geminisreply 5711/13/2013

[quote]5 days a week of weightlifting

But don't the muscles need to rest?

by fucking geminisreply 5811/13/2013

r55 The reason for recommending 5 pounds a month is if you loose more than that you have a greater chance of getting stretch marks and having loose skin.

If you loose 1 pound a week your skin has time to heal and it wont be tearing up drastically.

by fucking geminisreply 5911/13/2013

r57 Congratulations! That is amazing! I did the same shockingly when I started exercising I didn't loose as much weight as to when I was just tracking what I was eating. My bodyfat did go down more than before which is what you ultimately want. So don't be discouraged if you start exercising and you see that you don't loose weight as fast. Always eat and don't be afraid to eat your exercise calories.

I recommend you use "Cocoa Butter Formula® Massage Lotion" 3 times daily. Apply it to the areas where you have the excess weight. For me it was thighs, above the armpit area, stomach, buttocks, back.

If you have stretchmark's already it reduces the appearance, if you don't have any it will prevent them during your weight loss journey.

by fucking geminisreply 6011/13/2013

For Christ's sake, it's "lose" not "loose." LOSE! LOSE! LOSE!

by fucking geminisreply 6111/15/2013

Whenever you're debating loose vs. lose, just "lose an o."

by fucking geminisreply 6211/15/2013

I hooked up with a young (20s something) guy who had lost a lot of weight. He looked great, but the flabbiness of his skin even on his arms felt creepy.

by fucking geminisreply 6311/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!