Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sarah Palin wants the public to hold salespeople to task if they say 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas'

"There is a war on that traditional Judeo-Christian foundation of America, not just at Christmastime but those who are intolerant of the Christian faith, who want to take it away from the rest of us," she says.

She urges the like-minded to stand up at school board meetings to protest if religious carols such as O Little Town of Bethlehem are limited at holiday concerts in favor of secular songs such as Frosty the Snowman. She urges consumers to raise questions if store employees wish customers "happy holidays" or "seasons greetings" instead of "merry Christmas."

Palin's book, published Tuesday by Broadside Books, argues that liberals, the American Civil Liberties Union and non-believers are trying to undermine respect for the nation's religious underpinnings, with possible catastrophic repercussions.

The pundits like to pretend that anyone who belongs to the 'Christmas with Christ' version is picking a fight over a nonexistent problem," she writes. "They claim the whole conversation is the result of hypersensitivity, intolerance, or ... ignorance and fear of change. (See how I did that? I just summarized 90 percent of the book reviews for my critics, so they don't even have to read the rest. You betcha, I helped you out!)

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2013

Would she really shut the fuck up already.

by Anonymousreply 111/11/2013

So old. This is the kind of crap that bill o'reilly was bloviating about a literal decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 211/11/2013

And R2 - I guarantee he will bloviate about once again this year, and next year, and the year after that.

by Anonymousreply 311/11/2013

[quote]"There is a war on that traditional Judeo-Christian foundation of America, not just at Christmastime but those who are intolerant of the Christian faith, who want to take it away from the rest of us," she says

Does she mean during election season when proposals ask to vote "Yes" or "No" on "Merry Christmas" like they do for gay marriage?

by Anonymousreply 411/11/2013

She is irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 511/11/2013

I think clerks shouldn't say anything at all. Just keep saying have a good day and let it stay at that.

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2013

I love how she uses the term pundits so dismissively when that is all she is at this point.

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2013

Christmas is my favorite Judeo tradition.

by Anonymousreply 911/11/2013

That's because you're just not a nice person, r8. High end retailers do address their customers by name and are trained to do so. Research has shown that a store will get more repeat customers if a rapport is established. Most people appreciate the fact that there is name recognition. You're sincerely in the minority. And you can bet when I go back to my seasonal parttime work at a department store next week, I WILL be saying Happy Holidays when it gets closer to the time. You want someone to just say "good day" and pretend the holidays don't exist, all because of you?

What exactly do people like you get out of being so freakin' negative all the time? Why don't you just wear a shirt at all times that says "Don't you DARE think of speaking to me." But honestly, the look on your face when you're walking down the street probably says it all.

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2013

I love it when people like Sarah Palin make "pronouncements" and speak to the media. I don't think they should be silenced at all—the whole world needs to know just how crazy they really are.

Sarah, Sarah...tell me more!

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2013

During the x-mas season, people get in the holiday spirit by saying 'happy holidays' all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2013

Unfortunately, for BOTH sides, there has been a SECULAR tradition of Christmas since the 1840s. I believe there a just two references to the religious Christmas in "A Christmas Carol" and they are both indirect references. Unfortunately, it is secular Christmas that is getting screwed in this battle of wills.

And as much as the "Keep the Christ in Christmas" set annoy the hell out of me, Jews deserve a great deal of the blame because a lot of this is a reaction to the really silly and dishonest ruling to not offend the Jews or appear antisemitic. Case in point, the recent ruling that a Menorah is not a religious symbol. Of course it is. It is not just another candlestick any more than a communion wafer is just another cracker. It is second only to the star of David as a symbol of the Jewish religion.

The only reason for this is the condo/co-op wars each Christmastime. There is no secular representation of Hanukkah. OK, maybe a dreidel. If a Menorah is permitted, then a Creche should also be permitted. No Creche, no Menorah.

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2013

What is this Judeo-Christian foundation of which she speaks? The reason why we say Happy Holidays is the "Judeo" part of that tradition, plus of course, Muslims, Buddhists, Sikhs, Hindus, etc. It's not even a deal here in NYC. It seems awfully presumptious to assume that everybody is Christian.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2013

She is the reason why I am going to join a Muslim terrorist group.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2013

She really focus to the most important issues in a society.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2013

What about Jewish people who celebrate their holidays? Are they suppose to say Merry Christmas as well?

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2013

[quote]There is a war on that traditional Judeo-Christian foundation of America.

You mean Judeo, as in Judaica, the beliefs and the traditions of the Jewish people, such as Hanukkah, which is one of the "Holiday" we are wishing people would have a happy one of?

Why do the conservatives keep saying liberals want to "take away" things from them? By "taking away", they really mean "acknowledging or affirming things other than what we like."

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2013

[quote] "There is a war on that traditional Judeo-Christian foundation of America, not just at Christmastime but those who are intolerant of the Christian faith, who want to take it away from the rest of us," she says

The Jews people (the Judeo part of the Judeo-Christian foundation of America) don't celebrate Christmas. What's she's actually asking is for salesclerks to wish customers - Jewish people included - Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays. So sarah is asking sales clerks to ridicule Jewish people and their beliefs just to make her happy

sarah has some piece of shit book out about Christmas. That's why she's starting this nonsense

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2013

[quote] "There is a war on that traditional Judeo-Christian foundation of America"

Christmas is not a Judeo-Christian holiday.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2013

Gotta love these Christians with persecution complexes, very similar to white men with persecution complexes.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2013

You must be awfully proud of her latest "thoughts".

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2013

Here's sarah's shitty Christmas book, Good Tidings and Great Joy: Protecting the Heart of Christmas

When has she ever had good tidings for anyone?When has she EVER displayed any joy? All this cunt does is bitch and moan.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2013

she is truly loathsome.

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2013

Jews deserve a great deal of the blame because a lot of this is a reaction to the really silly and dishonest ruling to not offend the Jews or appear antisemitic.

Ah.... nooooo.

New Year is a holiday. Therefore, Christmas and New Year are holidays, even if you exclude Jews. Ergo, "Happy holidays." See? No Jews. Just Christmas and New Year.

Jews have nothing to do with it. My grandparents had a sign on their mirror every Christmas: Season's Greetings. My grandparents never heard of Hanukkah until about 1970, so their non-secular holiday greeting had nothing to do with Jews. "Season's Greetings" and the "Holiday Season" have been around long before America noticed the Jews, so your attempt to blame them for something that is utterly ridiculous in the first place shows what a bigoted tool you are.

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2013

I love how they fundies have taken it to be intolerant of Christians. They realize the gays have made such huge advances because of the intolerance of gays, so they bastardize it and say "you are intolerant of my religion."

My response would be "actually I am being very tolerant. I am a Buddhist and while I don't believe what you believe or celebrate your religious holiday, I am wishing you have a happy time during your religious celebration and not forcing you to believe in mine."

Retail places are not a place of worship, they are not a place to display the love of Christ, or Allah or Buddah or Satan for that matter. The fact Sarah Palin does not realize that other religions exist and have celebrations around the time of Christmas only speaks to her stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2013

Dear God, someone please put a gag on this lobotomized has-been cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2013

A. Christmas is actually a pagan holiday.

B. Get off that cross of martyrdom. Who is trying to take your religion away? Last I saw there were plenty of churches and no one was keeping people from attending.

As usual you display appalling ignorance and stupidity.

Funny, how so few biblethumpers take the time to study the history and roots of their own religion.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2013

I thought we had free speech in this country. why is sarah trying to corrupt this principal?

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2013

Crap, I forgot to enclose R13's quote in brackets. It should appear like this

[quote] Jews deserve a great deal of the blame because a lot of this is a reaction to the really silly and dishonest ruling to not offend the Jews or appear anti-Semitic

Then my response. Sorry. I don't want anyone to think the first sentence of my post is mine.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2013

So all you have to do to establish rapport with R10 is call him by his name.

When the manipulation is that obvious most people are annoyed rather than "feeling the rapport."

Unless you are someone like Sarah Palin who lives in a bubble of privilege that separates you from ordinary interaction with others.

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2013

[quote] Nineteenth-century Christmas cards rarely featured religious scenes. The early cards depicted flowers, trees, and birds. By the late 1800s, images grew more seasonal with greens such as ivy or holly; winter scenes such as a snow-covered church or ice skaters; or children sledding, playing with dolls, or engaged in similar activities.

[quote] World War I was a milestone for Christmas cards. Anti-German feeling in the country led many Americans to boycott German goods even before the U.S. entered the War and helped end the dominance of German cardmakers in the U.S. market. Religious scenes remained uncommon. Many cards simply wished the recipient "Season's Greetings" rather than mentioning Christmas. One observer complained that the cards "might have been designed by the President of the Moscow Society of the Godless, so far as any suggestion of the Nativity was concerned." During the 1920s, "Olde English" motifs associated the senders with the upper class and with a traditional Christmas. Also popular, however, were modern cards with sleek Art Deco graphics. During the Depression of the 1930s, cards typically were small and relatively simple in color and design.

[quote] World War II brought patriotic cards and special cards from military units. During the postwar period into the 1960s, cards depicted traditional images such as Santa Claus and snowmen. Personalization continued to be popular, with photographs adding another personal touch. The 1960s witnessed an explosion of cards sold to benefit good causes, such as UNICEF and other charities and museums.

[quote] The late 1900s also saw two other types of year-end cards. Hanukkah became more prominent as a Jewish holiday, and Hanukkah cards soon followed. In 1966, Maulanga Ron Karenga created Kwanzaa, a seven-day African American celebration highlighting principles such as unity and self-determination and sometimes people send Kwanzaa cards.

[quote] Christmas cards, meanwhile, have moved in both new directions and old. Religious cards now constitute more than 25% of sales. Humorous cards also claim a share of the market.

So you see? It was a non-religious holiday season in the 1800s. It's only recently that the holiday season has been taken up as a crusade by idiots

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2013

R10 it really burns my biscuits when someone twists my words around. I have no problem at all with people wishing me Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, etc... but then again I am Christian; I cannot speak for those of other faiths who might be offended if said to them.

When I started working in hospitals in the late 1980s, including some Catholic ones, the entire place was decked out with Christmas trees, huge nativities, etc. By 2005, it was considered politically incorrect to do so, and even the Catholic hospital was reduced to a few poinsetta plants and maybe some garland in the main lobby. I believe this type of scenario is what Palin is referring to.

Now I don't want anyone to think I am defending her... it is obvious she is using the hyper-political-correctness of late to scare and control her sheep. And THAT I completely disagree with and dislike. But there is a sliver of truth there whether one chooses to acknowledge it or not.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2013

It's a question of manners. The reason why Sarah Palin and her crusaders have taken to demanding that only Christians should be saluted in a friendly way is because she and her cohort are mannerless boobs. They're rude and selfish and have no manners.

by Anonymousreply 3411/11/2013

R18, actually, in many cases the conservatives are correct when they say "take away". It is one thing to have a Menorah lighting and a visit from Santa Claus. It is another when the 75 year old tradition of having a visit from Santa is forbidden because it might offend people. It is one thing to acknowledge that families come in all shapes and sizes, it is another to ban Mother's Day and Father's Day from the school because some children may have only one or two of the same parent. It is one thing to include all cultures. It is another to consistently use "Eurocentric" as a pejorative.

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!