Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

America is suppose to be a free country

Are gay Americans really free?

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2013

You've obviously never been on a date, OP.

by Anonymousreply 111/11/2013

I'm not free, but I'm reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 211/11/2013

Free of what? Free to do what?

by Anonymousreply 311/11/2013

But that begs the question, is it suppose to be dominate?

by Anonymousreply 411/11/2013

No. We lack the freedom to marry, which has been identified as one of the most central and defining freedoms an individual possesses. When the government denies it, a central aspect of someone's autonomy has been withheld. It takes a while to wrap your head around.

But yes in the sense you can live where you want, change your job if you want, etc but of course if you don't have money then these freedoms don't really exist for you either.

by Anonymousreply 511/11/2013

American gays have a lot more freedom, self-esteem, and social outlets than in many places. Conditions are not perfect but improving.

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2013

Free to be, you and me!

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2013

Simply pointing out that there are people worse off elsewhere doesn't really answer the question, r6. American blacks had a lot more freedom, self-esteem and social outlets in the 50s than, say, someone living in a communist gulag and you could also describe the situation as "not perfect but improving." It just seems kind of wrong-headed imho.

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2013

I'm not free, but I'm cheap.

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2013

No one said there were no other pressing issues in the world, r9.

Even during the civil rights movement there were 'more pressing' issues, like nuclear proliferation, the Cold War, and conflicts in Korea and Vietnam. During the fight for women's suffrage, there were other pressing issues. And so on.

Not sure why some people always feel the urgent need to downplay the shit that gets dumped on gays, but there it is.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2013

[quote]some people always feel the urgent need to downplay

Exactly, these people are the enemy, setting a 'so what' narrative.

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2013

Nope. Gay Americans can't marry in 34 states. They can be fired at will at their place of employment solely because they are gay. They can be refused service at establishments solely because they are gay. Depending on their states discrimination policies, but if they are not in place, gay people have no legal rights to sue regardless of the situation.

Gay people also get violently attacked for showing affection in public even places like New York City.

40% of homeless teens are LGBT youth.

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2013

[quote]Even as a gay person America has more pressing issues, like the crippling debt of an education and the problem with our healthcare system where having the audacity to get sick or injured can ruin you financially.

This statement is why gay people are still not free in America. And, might never be.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2013

I am free regardless of social mores.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2013

Nobody in America is free.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2013

North Korea publicly executed around 80 people earlier this month, many for watching smuggled South Korean TV shows, a South Korean newspaper reported Monday.

The conservative JoongAng Ilbo cited a single, unidentified source, but at least one North Korean defector group said it had heard rumours that lent credibility to the front-page report.

The source, said to be "familiar" with the North's internal affairs and recently returned from the country, said the executions were carried out in seven cities on November 3.

[bold]In the eastern port of Wonsan, the authorities gathered 10,000 people in a sports stadium to watch the execution of eight people by firing squad,[/bold] the source quoted one eyewitness as saying.

Most were charged with watching illicit South Korean TV dramas, and some with prostitution.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2013

We have more laws than any other country, and more people in prison per-capita than any other country.

How are we a "free" country?

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2013

r18, please provide an example of a truly "free" country on planet earth.

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2013

[OP}: "suppose to be"

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2013

Yall think its sucks for gays now?!? Its worlds away better than 35-40 years ago when the only gay characters you saw were Liberace and Miss Simmons!The advances in acceptance is astounding to people of my generation.Gay proms? Gay shows on regular tv? Gay politicians? All inconceivable! Quit bitching about what you dont have and celebrate how far youve come!And remember this...the "old" bitches you laugh at and put down and make fun of were YOU at one time,and because of them you have what you do.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2013

I find the fact that OP was denied his right to an education to be more troubling.

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2013

Oh, please, unless you are filthy rich, NONE of us are free. Join the club. Won't change for another two thousand years.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.