Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Movie producers

Does that mean they give money to the film? This girl from school now produces movies. I didn't know she was rich. I fell less guilty about owing her 10 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2013

Some do. The vast majority of movie producers are businessmen/women who secure financing for the picture (usually from a movie studio, or film financing company as of late) and are responsible for the business side of an individual picture (who is hired, how much money is spent, etc.) However some very wealthy producers i.e. Megan Ellison of Annapurna Pictures do indeed use their own money to finance films.

The general rule of thumb in Hollywood though is to always use someone else's money if you can. The late producer Laura Ziskin was unable to get financing for "The Butler" from the studios, and had to secure funding from wealthy individuals; the last week of her life, she even met with a lottery winner who was interested in "breaking in" Hollywood. Individuals who simply "write a check" tend not to get credited as producer; they are credited as "Executive Producer", "Co-Producer", or "Associate Producer". Click below to see the massive list of credited producers for "The Butler."

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2013

You know their own money? No, unless they're filthy rich, like that dyke who produced Zero Dark Thirty. No way anyone would take her seriously (and, apparently, Boal wanted her off the set and she had to leave) if it wasn't for her daddy's cash.

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2013

You *mean* they're own money?

R1 gave you a complete answer, OP.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2013

they're = their

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2013

Yeah R1 gave you a very good answer actually. It is always nice to see informed intelligent post on this board.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2013

Thank you r5.

I would add that "producer" is a very tricky definition and is often shared by the writer, director or actors in a project for a variety of reasons including creative control, originating the source material, etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!