Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING: Big Fish closing at the end of December!

The producers have announced that Big Fish will be closing December 29. Guess we all could have seen that coming, and surely no one is going to call it brilliant, but I'm sad to see Norbert rack up another flop on the resume.

Even with an early closing I still believe he could go on to win his third lead actor.

Guess Honeymoon in Vegas will be taking over at the Neil Simon in the spring...and it will shudder just as quickly.

by Anonymousreply 4211/15/2013

[quote]and it will shudder just as quickly.

Freudian slip, intentional typo or just bad spelling?

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2013

[quote] and it will shudder just as quickly.

Then buy it a fur coat you dumb cunt!

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2013

Does this mean Cheryl will be closing her legs soon?

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2013

He sweats like a pig on stage but I'm sure he is really sweating now that he will be out of work.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2013

Rumor is Spiderman is closing in January.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2013

Why is this even worthy of its own thread? The theater thread should be good enough since this wasn't a well-reviewed show.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2013

And the theatre thread needs all the gossip and help it can get. Even a closing would liven it up in some way.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2013

It's worthy of its own thread because Norbert is a star (as well as Stroman), and this news is probably a big source of conservation this evening with those on DL.

All of my friends texted or called as soon as the news broke.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2013

WRONG, OP/R8. The Theater thread is for shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2013

[quote]All of my friends texted or called as soon as the news broke.

R8 and friends:

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2013

R10, that was hilarious!! Gave me a good chuckle, so thank you.

R9, This is big news and will be discussed around water coolers tomorrow morning.

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2013

Sorry Norbert, Jefferson Mays has the Tony locked up for Gentlemen's Guide to Murder. Eight different and hilariously delineated characters. Nothing like it has ever been done before on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2013

Tell me about it R12!

(Jefferson won't be winning any Tony when his show closes by Christmas too.

Mr Braff has a better chance than anyone in these fall shows.)

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2013

Maybe Norbert can use the time off to hit the gym and get back in shap--bwahahaha I couldn't even finish that sentence

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2013

um… i don't think they like being called that.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2013

R8, we're conserving ourselves this evening and limiting this thread to 20 replies.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2013

Blind Date is closing too.

I haven't heard Spiderman is closing and think all of us theater queens would be clutching our pearls and digging out a clean caftan if this was the case!

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2013

Another flop for Stro AND Norbs!

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2013

He has the look of a serious alcoholic. Are there any rumors about him and the bottle?

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2013

R17 it's First Date. Are you one of those little old ladies at the theatre? Did you go to the Booth and ask if this is where Lincoln was shot?

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2013

I saw it a couple weeks ago. The music is really bad, so are the lyrics. Everything else about it was great though. When will the Bobby Steggart experience wither away? not a fan...

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2013

I agree. Please someone stop Andrew Lippa. There are better composers out there who cannot get produced.

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2013

I thought this was going to be about Big Fish Games. My brother would be devastated. All he does is play their games.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2013

Lippa = Stinky

by Anonymousreply 2411/12/2013

R17 here.

No R20, I don't go to the Booth. Instead I go the Duane Reed across the street and do this

by Anonymousreply 2511/12/2013

is there any gossip on Norbert?

by Anonymousreply 2611/12/2013

I remember a chapter in Ken Mandelbaum's book Not since Carrie about Broadway actors who were continually in big expensive flop musicals, like Carmen Matthews and George....oh, blanking on his last name, the one who was married to Maria Karnilova! Ken considered them a curse.

Anyway, add Norbert to the list.

by Anonymousreply 2711/12/2013

R27, his name is George S. Irving, and he is still with us. He did have a run of flops in the '60s, but he was in several hits before and after that.

by Anonymousreply 2811/12/2013

How was Brad Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 2911/12/2013

What ever were George S. Irving's hits r28?

by Anonymousreply 3011/12/2013

I am not R28 but Irving was in IRENE with both Debbie Reynolds and Jane Powell and ON YOUR TOES, the revival.

by Anonymousreply 3111/12/2013

I don't think DL fav Karen Morrow ever had a successful Broadway show either.

by Anonymousreply 3211/12/2013

[quote] and it will shudder just as quickly

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3311/12/2013

I shoulda shuddered when I read your post.

by Anonymousreply 3411/12/2013

George S Irving certainly knew his way around a flop, but don't forget he WON a Tony for the hit Irene, and was nominated for Me and My Girl. Plus, as was noted, he was in the On Your Toes revival.

Karen Morrow never had a hit.

At least Susan Johnson had The Most Happy Fella.

Carmen Matthews and Irra Petina were both flop queens. (Petina only had one hit, and she wasn't even allowed to make the cast recording because of record contract conflict.)

by Anonymousreply 3511/12/2013

But wasn't Irra Petina The Old Lady in the original Candide?

Even if that was a flop, it was a amagnificent one and Irra's performance has been immortalized on the OCR for Theatre Queens of all ages.

by Anonymousreply 3611/12/2013

Ahhhh, we'll miss that Cheryl, eh?

by Anonymousreply 3711/12/2013

[quote] saw it a couple weeks ago. The music is really bad, so are the lyrics.

How come no one ever tells these composers, go back and try it again? All I ever hear is this score sucks, that score sucks, are the producers deaf? I can't imagine having to sing a crappy song eight shows a week.

by Anonymousreply 3811/12/2013

Lippa Sucky Big Timey

by Anonymousreply 3911/15/2013

I'm sorry to read this. I loved Norbett in Catch Me If You Can a few seasons ago and his work is usually so very good. Is the music available anywhere to listen to?

by Anonymousreply 4011/15/2013

I thought CMIYC was a huge snoozefest too. Norbert is really great in whatever he's in (except movies/tv shows). He really gives 100%. There are a couple songs on youtube: "Fight the Dragons" and, probably the best song in the bunch, "Time Stops".

They probably shouldn't even bother with a cast recording. But, if Leap of Faith got a recording, then Big Fish probably will too.

One of the songs Kate Baldwin sang kept repeating some bullshit line like, "I love you both, him and you." Her voice was beautiful, but you don't get the magical feeling because the lyrics and melody are so bad.

by Anonymousreply 4111/15/2013

The biggest problem with Norbert is that he gives 115% all the fucking time. I'm afraid he's gonna meet his maker during one of his hyperactive performances. Good guy, but give it a rest once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 4211/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!