Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Posh British Actors: What's the attraction?

There's a slew of posh British actors who are snagging plum roles in lots of American and international TV and film productions. And they're grabbing a lot of publicity in the process. A couple like Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch have become media darlings with armies of fangirls/boys. What do you think; do they deserve the attention or will they fade away when the next crop of "It Boys" comes along?

by Curiousreply 60101/11/2014

Thanks, OP.

by Curiousreply 211/10/2013

Alexander Skarsgard is not British.

by Curiousreply 311/10/2013

I question your assertion that all these actors are "posh" (which means members of the upper class) or even British. Chris Hemsworth's Australian. Skarsgard is Swedish. Fassbender's father (a chef) is German and he was born in Germany and grew up in Ireland (which I guess you could call British, though the Irish would probably quibble with that.)

Acting is a notoriously competitive and unstable profession so it's hard to predict who'll be successful how long. Sometimes it depends more on how many friends you have in the business and how reliable you are rather than how talented you are, but talent definitely counts for more in the UK than it does in the US and it's easier to be a working actor in a country with well-subsidized theater and mass media (though the Tories are doing their best to defund the BBC and other state subsidized arts organizations.)

by Curiousreply 411/10/2013

OP (and r1), Michael Fassbender is not British, neither is Alexander Skarsgard.

by Curiousreply 511/10/2013

Where are Matthew Goode and Hugh Dancy?

And Skarsgard is from Sweden.

by Curiousreply 611/10/2013

I'm tired of this overload of British actors taking over American roles. EVERY industry seems to be giving jobs away to foreigners instead of Americans.

by Curiousreply 711/10/2013

Isn't Alex Swedish??

by Curiousreply 811/10/2013

OK, I know that Skarsgard and Hemsworth are not British; I said so in the other thread. I just included them for the hell of it because they are also getting a lot of acting roles and have a following. Fassbender is technically not British; he's Irish/German though he's lived in London for the last 10 years.

The poll only let me include 10 names, sorry.

by Curiousreply 911/10/2013

Because the Americans are crap, r7. Who are the decent youngish American actors of today?

R4, the Tories are posh. That's the common factor.

by Curiousreply 1011/10/2013

Exactly, R7. And Hollywood produces some of our most lucrative exports. American actors need to train themselves better and take a note from British actors. Study the classics and avoid lame Acting for the Camera classes taught in walk-ups.

by Curiousreply 1111/10/2013

I assume by 'posh' they mean more of an image thing. The only two up there who are both Brit and actually part of the UK upperclass are Redmayne and Hiddleston.

I always assumed it's a combination of better talent for less money. There was a whole article I read that went into UK actors being cheaper and more willing to do what they're told on set than US actors.

by Curiousreply 1211/10/2013

Isn't Tom Hardy from money? And Cumberbatch and Cavill were at least borderline upper middle class, I think

by Curiousreply 1311/10/2013

[quote]Because the Americans are crap, [R7]. Who are the decent youngish American actors of today?

Ah, yes - because British actors like Henry Cavill and Robert Pattinson are such great actors. Dumbass.

The days of Britain giving us trained Laurence Olivier-type actors ended decades ago honey. There's nothing special about them anymore.

by Curiousreply 1511/10/2013

@ R13

Not sure about Cavill at all but I didn't think Hardy was?

Cumberbatch was definitely middle class or upper middle class (not sure which, arts scholarships to Harrow are means-tested but I don't know what the income limit is), but not part of the UK's upper class.

by Curiousreply 1611/10/2013

[quote]I'm tired of this overload of British actors taking over American roles.

It's ironic, isn't it? There have to be as many average to downright odd looking American actors as British but they insist on importing average to odd looking British Actors (not Cavill et al, obviously) to fill the bill. My theory is it's because most of American entertainment comes cranking out like its made in a beauty factory so when they need a talented actor to choose from they don't think anybody exists in America. I honestly chalk it up to the consistent levels of crap and mediocrity in storytelling and the American obsession with beauty in the leads and secondary principal characters.

Downton Abbey is not good writing, although it's entertaining television. They couldn't get a greenlight on something like that here until somebody did it somewhere else and they decided to knock it off.

by Curiousreply 1711/10/2013

You know, I had to think about any current decent newish younger American actors. Is Oscar Isaacs from the US? Michael B. Jordan. Those are the only ones I could think of off the top.

Does Channing Tatum count lol? Or Taylor Kitsch.

by Curiousreply 1811/10/2013

All I could think of was Michael B. Jordan, r18. People have been talking about Dane DeHaan but he seems still relatively unknown.

by Curiousreply 1911/10/2013

Aaron Paul, Jesse Plemons, Jesse Eisenberg.

by Curiousreply 2011/10/2013

Who the f-ck is Jesse Plemons? Aaron Paul is a b-list TV actor from a big show, he needs to prove his chops in films now to be considered an up-and-comer.

Just read Oscar Isaac was raised in the US but born in Guatemala to Guatemalan-Cuban parents. Scratch him.

That leaves only Jordan and Eisenberg as the only two. Wow the list is really short, didn't realize there was such a lack of American talent.

by Curiousreply 2111/10/2013

Ezra Miller is a fantastic young U.S. actor.

by Curiousreply 2211/10/2013

I'd left out Eisenberg because he isn't really up and coming or new. He's been around for years and is an Oscar-nominated actor.

by Curiousreply 2311/10/2013

The movies now aren't very good either, though. Even the "praised" ones. It feels like the time period in the 1960's before "Easy Rider " hit. Not that I was alive then.

by Curiousreply 2411/10/2013

ok 22 will count him. Still very obscure but definitely talented. The list is still painfully short.

(Apologies to the OP and others for briefly hijacking the thread, supposed to be about posh brit actors. Carry on.)

by Curiousreply 2511/10/2013

most will go the way of Ben Chaplin, Jeremy Northam, Joseph Fiennes, Ioan Grufford, Paul Bettanny....

by Curiousreply 2611/10/2013

Taylor Kitsch is good and so is Chris Evans. A few years back Evans was in a TV film of Tennessee Williams "Loss of a Teardrop Diamond" which co-starred Bryce Dallas Howard. He was really good, I thought.

by Curiousreply 2711/10/2013

Taylor Kitsch was good on Friday Night Lights but he bombed spectacularly when given big budget movie opportunities. Who knows if he'll get another chance in Hollywood. He could very well fade into obscurity and he wasn't that known to begin with.

by Curiousreply 2811/10/2013

You may be right, r26. But in the case of actors like Hardy, Fassbender, and perhaps Cumberbatch, I think they might have more career longevity based on being critical and/or internet darlings and having a mix of blockbuster action/superhero movies on their resumes with more prestigious indie/art house fare. The landscape's changed a bit now that the era of the movie star is pretty much over.

by Curiousreply 2911/10/2013

Taylor Kitsch did a decent job as the lead in Peter Berg's Battleship. I was surprised when Alexander Skarsgard got killed off halfway through the movie.

It seems that except for a few very top A list actors, most leading men/women enjoy only a very short stay at the top before fading from view. Character actors, who aren't dependent solely on good looks generally have the best long term career prospects.

by Curiousreply 3011/10/2013

Like R30, i think most of those actors will be well employed as long as they like. British actors don't see success by American measures of celebrity.

by Curiousreply 3111/10/2013

[quote]British actors don't see success by American measures of celebrity.

maybe Dame Judi and Dame Maggie don't but the younger generation can't wait to get to LA

by Curiousreply 3211/10/2013

R31 I disagree a bit. I think Hiddleston is very thirsty for fame. He will attend the opening of an email if he thinks it will garner more attention and fans.

Dame Judi and Dame Maggie are icons. Love them!

by Curiousreply 3311/10/2013

Hiddleston attends every play opening night in London and always does the red carpet.

by Curiousreply 3411/10/2013

Yet another stealth Prancing Pony thread. Christ you fangirls are pathetic.

by Curiousreply 3511/10/2013

I love you too, R35.

by Curiousreply 3611/10/2013

what are prancing ponies?

by Curiousreply 3811/10/2013

Are Hiddleston and Fassbender the same person?

by Curiousreply 3911/10/2013

Fassbender's penis says, "No," r39.

by Curiousreply 4011/10/2013

For Younger American Actors, I think Chris Pine is talented, hot and hopefully having grown up with a dad in the business, is smart enough to stay away from the pitfalls.

As for Other Brits, Don't forget about Aaron Johnson. He is a good actor, very hot and of course has that rather odd marriage thing that people find intriguing.

by Curiousreply 4111/10/2013

Garfield is very talented, Hiddleston too, but he is overexposed and he seems smarmy.

Don't get the appeal of Fassbender at all. Very overrated.

Tom Hardy is an interesting actor as is Ben Wishaw (he stole the show in Skyfall)

by Curiousreply 4211/10/2013

[quote] rather odd marriage thing that people find intriguing.

by Curiousreply 4311/10/2013

Aaron Johnson married Sam Taylor Wood when he was 18 or 19 and she was either pregnant or had just given birth. She is well over 40 and directed him when he was 17 in Nowhere Boy, which is when their affair started.

Many people find that pairing odd, especially since she rivals Sarah Jessica Parker in the Horse Face contest.

But separating that, I think he is very good looking and on film and in pictures he is sexy as fuck. Seems a bit odd in interviews.

Still for 30 year old generation coming out of Hollywood right now, I like Chris Pine the best. He seems smart, is funny in interviews, and stays relatively private, and doesn't do the twitter thing. He seems to have questionable taste in women, but otherwise seems like a decent sort and talented too.

If you haven't seen People Like Us, it is worth watching. I thought he was terrific in that. The film is decent, not great, but he and Elizabeth Banks are just terrific as is Michelle Pfeiffer.

by Curiousreply 4411/10/2013

I voted for Andrew because I want to have sex with his hair.

by Curiousreply 4511/10/2013

Chris Hemsworth, neither British nor posh, is known to be bi if not completely gay. It's basically an open secret in Australia.

He was bearded by his castmate Isabel Lucas while in a gay relationship with his housemate, another castmate, during the run of Home and Away. His current marriage was arranged by the their management - they are both with the same company - and was all completed very quickly once his star started to rise and, with it, all the old ghosts from home.

by Curiousreply 4611/10/2013

Why have him get married? Wouldn't he be more appealing as a single star?

by Curiousreply 4711/10/2013

Michael Fassbender is not British. He was born in Germany and grew up in Ireland with his Irish mother and German mother.

by Curiousreply 4811/10/2013

To assuage those pesky gay rumours starting to drift in from the colonies, r47.

by Curiousreply 4911/10/2013

[quote]He was born in Germany and grew up in Ireland with his Irish mother and German mother.

Sort of Kate und UberAlle?

by Curiousreply 5011/10/2013

I dunno about that that, r40. Tom is also hung.

by Curiousreply 5111/10/2013

People like Cumberbatch and Hiddleston get TONS of media and internet attention, but barely anyone out in the real world really knows who they are. Same with Fassbender.

And Hemsworth is Australian. And Skarsgard is Swedish. He's not posh either, considering his dad was a theater actor and hardly raking in the big bucks when he was young.

by Curiousreply 5211/10/2013

Cavill is pretty, but a mediocre actor.

by Curiousreply 5311/10/2013

Twit at r15, I didn't say British actors are great, I said there's a dearth of good youngish American actors. That creates an opportunity for others to take the top spot.

Who are the good 20s/mid-30s American actors out there now?

by Curiousreply 5411/11/2013

[quote]People like Cumberbatch and Hiddleston get TONS of media and internet attention, but barely anyone out in the real world really knows who they are.

Young people and action fans know Hiddleston from the Thor movies.

by Curiousreply 5511/11/2013

@55 They know Loki. If you mention "Tom Hiddleston" you're gonna get a whole bunch of "Who?"

by Curiousreply 5611/11/2013

I've never seen Hiddleston's movies. I only know him because I saw some clip of him with cookie monster... not that I watch Sesame Street on a regular basis, but I was sent the clip.

He's very... charming, but in a calculating way.

by Curiousreply 5711/11/2013

true r56.

by Curiousreply 5811/11/2013

[quote]They know Loki. If you mention "Tom Hiddleston" you're gonna get a whole bunch of "Who?"

But isn't that true of nearly every young actor or actress these days, minus possibly Jen Lawrence? There are no more real "movie stars" being created anymore.

by Curiousreply 5911/11/2013

@r59 (arghhh how do you get the reply thing???) I completely agree. But the OP was saying that these actors are like huge and get tons of attention, when in fact it's all confined to fangirls on tumblr and random media people.

by Curiousreply 6011/11/2013

Americans are too obsessed with looks and ruining their faces with surgery.

Without British actors there would be no one to play older or character parts.

by Curiousreply 6111/11/2013

[quote]Without British actors there would be no one to play older or character parts.

you are making this to easy.

by Curiousreply 6211/11/2013

R60 exactly like you did minus the @

by Curiousreply 6311/11/2013

The movie star period is over, just like are Tom Cruise and Will Smith. People want to see good movies/stories or marvel movies, not actors.

Hollywood love the british because they're cheaper and hard working. From the new genertion only Hardy, Fassbender and perhaps Cumberbatch will stay, but as character actors not movie star.

And it's also true that young american actors are underestimated whereas some british actors are clearly overrated, but they have the good accent.

by Curiousreply 6411/11/2013

That many Brit actors in Hwood are posh is a product of the British system for producing actors. We have the treadmills too - these people go to stage schools (eg Conti) and move on to genre TV and soap roles.

Our film and theatre actors go to uni then RADA or similar. RADA is VERY expensive and quite elitist. Theatre pays peanuts. Thus a large proportion of these people are posh/come from money.

Never forget that there is much less of a tradition/willingness to bus tables for a living while trying to "make it" this side of the pond.

by Curiousreply 6611/11/2013

When I think of outstanding American character actors, all I come up with us Sam Rockwell.

That's kinda sad.

by Curiousreply 6911/11/2013

Benedict Cumberbatch is very talented and I quite like his 'couldn't give a fuck what people think of me' attitude. Fass is talented too but quite clearly has multiple issues and I have a weakness for broken men.

Redmayne is OK I guess. Kit Harrington intrigues me.

by Curiousreply 7011/11/2013

Good american character actor: Willem Dafoe, Steve Buscemi, Bryan Cranston, John Goodman, Jeff Bridges, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Pheonix, John Turturro, Benicio Del Toro etc.

They're all good or very good character actors. They're there but Hollywood promotes Channing Tatum and other bland untalented actors.

by Curiousreply 7111/11/2013

I've been kicked off ONTD 5 years ago. Back then they didn't like MF. Also don't ever critersize Matt smith being a lesser doctor than Tennat on tumblr- another ban.

by Curiousreply 7211/11/2013

Buzzfeed is going downhill a bit

by Curiousreply 7311/11/2013

Buzzfeed does that with a lot of actors, but they're usually funny not so much here.

by Curiousreply 7411/11/2013

Yes, Sam Rockwell. But also Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster (going to be playing Lance Armstrong!) and I'll also include Ryan Gosling.

by Curiousreply 7511/11/2013

R9 Actually Fassbender has lived in London for about 17 years already, but it still doesn't make him British. He is Irish/German.

R13 I don't know about Tom Hardy, I think Tom Hiddleston might come from money. Maybe Cumberbatch as well.

by Curiousreply 7711/11/2013

R69 Love Sam Rockwell, he's also an amazing dancer.

R72 MF - Martin Freeman?

by Curiousreply 7911/11/2013

MF: Michael Fassbender?

by Curiousreply 8011/11/2013

I have noticed a tide turn in the way people talk about Mr B. It seems a lot more snarky now, a lot less inclined to believe everythin he says. I do still like him but I wonder if it's a lack of tea driving people to start snarking. What tea do we have on Fass? Aside from the usual being a big ole shagger?

by Curiousreply 8111/11/2013

MF is Michael fassbender and I'm guessing Mr B is TH. the reason Mr B is Mr B is not lack of tea but the lack of truth and contradictions he spouts in his case.

by Curiousreply 8211/11/2013

R81 Nothing much on Fassbender other than the old rumors that he beat one of his GFs but she withdrew the charges. That and he recently decided to relieve himself outdoors while filming in New Zealand and someone snapped a photo but blotted out the best part, LOL!

Lately the Fass has taken to complaining that people are objectifying him by talking about his big cock. I'm calling BS. Beginning to reek of Hiddleston and his Eton crap.

Honestly, I find Fassbender to be an enormously talented actor with a hot temper, who behaves or misbehaves as it pleases him. Inherently nastier than Cumberbatch who just enjoys bringing the snark.

Sort of a Jonathan Rhys-Meyers "light" in that respect. Please NOTE: I am not referring to talent here. JRM is also talented but not in MF's league, IMO but much more troubled by drink/drugs.

by Curiousreply 8311/11/2013

I actually think Hiddleston is a good actor. His range seems limited, but he's done well so far.

by Curiousreply 8411/11/2013

R84 Agreed. Hiddleston is a good actor. He showed that in War Horse and Hollow Crown. Midnight in Paris wasn't a big acting stretch. He was part of an ensemble cast and did fine.

It will be interesting to see the reviews from Coriolanus. That's a very tough role and British theatre critics are not easily impressed. He's got to be exhausted after promoting Thor 2 nonstop for the past month.

His CV is light by comparison to his peers. Hopefully as he gains more experience, he will exhibit more range.

by Curiousreply 8511/11/2013

Nationality discrimination. Brits in Hollywood hire other Brits and disdain Americans. It's illegal, but they all do it.

by Curiousreply 8611/11/2013

r86 = the voice of reason.

by Curiousreply 8711/11/2013

Fassbender is talented and sexy as hell but I feel sorry his girlfriends. Hardy is very good. His family has money but he acts lower class. Cumberbatch is very talented. A good guy who can be a real bitch when he wants. Hiddleston may be good but acts as he shits rainbows and unicors. Hemsworth and Cavill are bland and should stop the steroids. Ben Winshaw is talented but too skinny, no leading man material. Garfield and Redmayne are just irrelevant.

by Curiousreply 8811/11/2013

It's interesting Mr B is going to play Coriolanus an exact opposite of what he's like in real life. I don't think he would be physically good in battle but we've already seen him give great politician answers in interviews

by Curiousreply 8911/11/2013

Rpatz, perhaps the most irrelevant.

Bad actor but seems to be a good guy. Twilight blowed his credibility as an actor but he has enough money and fangirls to work with Werner Herzog, David Croenenbreg and James Gray.

Seeing him acting with Cumberbatch will be hilarious. Poor Cumby doesn't deserve it.

by Curiousreply 9111/11/2013

BC is a good actor because he can slip into any role required of him. I also enjoy is interviews because he doesn't try to be something he isn't and generally doesn't give a shit what people think

by Curiousreply 9211/11/2013

[quote] It's interesting Mr B is going to play Coriolanus an exact opposite of what he's like in real life

Yes, R89, it's called being an actor.

by Curiousreply 9311/11/2013

R89 Mr. B or Sir Hiddles might be very good in battle not in terms of brawn but speed. He's lithe and fast on his feet and the fact that he's thin, means he's not as big a target. Though if someone did hit him with fists or weapons he'd be a goner!

On this last Thor 2 press tour an interviewer asked him if he was stranded on a desert island with his Avengers co-stars who would he eat? He said "I'd probably be the first one to die and they'd end up eating me!" I thought that was funny AND very true.

by Curiousreply 9411/11/2013

MrB could also play Titania the fairy queen, no need to bulk up.

by Curiousreply 9611/11/2013

I hate how this posts always end up turning into fans/haters of Hiddleston and Cumberbatch talking about shit no one else understands. Are we supposed to know who Mr. B is without explanation? Can't you keep that crap in all the other hundreds of threads about those annoying Brits?

by Curiousreply 9711/11/2013

Tom Hardy and Michael Fassbender are the ones to watch.

The rest? Meh.

by Curiousreply 9911/11/2013

Cumberbatch is really odd looking so I kind of wonder why he has so many female fans. He really does look like an Alien.

by Curiousreply 10011/11/2013

[quote]you are making this to[sic] easy.

So are you.

by Curiousreply 10111/11/2013

[Nationality discrimination. Brits in Hollywood hire other Brits and disdain Americans. It's illegal, but they all do it.]

You bring up an interesting point. A very few American actors who are serious about theatre have been known to turn the tables and invade the West End with varying degrees of success. Most notably: Richard Chamberlain, Kevin Spacey and even David Schwimmer. Spacey became artistic director of the Bristol Old Vic in 2003 and received an honorary CBE in 2010. Percentage-wise more Brits come Stateside to act compared to the number of Americans that cross the pond for jobs. I'm not counting American actors working in American-financed productions filming in the UK.

by Curiousreply 10211/11/2013

Fassbender is banging Gerard Butler ex-girlfriend. I call it a class act.

by Curiousreply 10511/11/2013

These Hiddleston fangirls are like a virus and this thread is yet another host cell to which they have attached themselves.

by Curiousreply 10611/11/2013

What about me?

by Curiousreply 10711/11/2013

I don't understand what the fangurls see in either Hiddleston or Cumberbatch. I understand the Twihards - they were obsessed with the source material and transferred that to the actors. The actors themselves are immaterial to their obsession, really.

TH and BC are average/ugly. So what is the appeal?

by Curiousreply 10811/11/2013

The Harry Potter Kid grew up short and not sexy. Could be a good actor with time.

by Curiousreply 11011/11/2013

We usually abbreviate an actors name to their initials but in some cases they can have the same .from my observations; TH - Tom hiddleston Mr B (mr bullshit) see above BC - Benedict Cumberbatch CH- Chris Hemsworth MF- Micheal Fassbender RDJ- Robert downing junior

We could use Tom H for Tom Hardy Charlie H for Charlie Hunman Martin F for Martin Freeman

by Curiousreply 11311/11/2013

Whether is is the decades old flood of Canadian comics or the decades old flood of British actors, what they both have in common is that creatives in both countries have government healthcare.

This means an actor, painter, singer could raise a family on a creative's income without fear that they are going to lose the company insurance or have to declare medical bankruptcy or have to go begging for their children's medical care.

The greatest American actors for the past 70 years have never been because the risk is too high.

by Curiousreply 11411/11/2013

r100 because fat and ugly young/middle aged women/gays think it gives them a better shot?

by Curiousreply 11511/11/2013

R100 I wonder what he's like in bed.

by Curiousreply 11611/11/2013

[quote][R100] I wonder what he's like in bed.

Ask and ye shall receive:

by Curiousreply 11711/11/2013

R117 LOOOL I cried laughing.

by Curiousreply 11811/11/2013

I kind of get Hardy, Fassbender, Cumberbatch et al because they're excellent actors.

But Cavill, Hiddleston and Redmayne have never really been impressive in anything I've seen.

All of them have some obnoxious fans, like most celebs.

by Curiousreply 11911/11/2013

Not all but most of these actors have an intelligence and sophistication their American counterparts lack.

All you need to do is see them onstage ... Just extraordinary. Redmayne, Garfield, Cumberbatch, on and on... Astonishing.

by Curiousreply 12011/11/2013

[quote]All you need to do is see them onstage ... Just extraordinary. Redmayne, Garfield, Cumberbatch, on and on... Astonishing.

Shall we get you smelling salts, Mary?

by Curiousreply 12111/11/2013

Do you even recognize the irony in what you wrote considering these "thespians" you're going on and on about are all making their bones in those superficial Hollywood blockbusters?

They've all sold out and are doing parts where they can easily be replaced.

by Curiousreply 12311/11/2013

Redmayne is playing Stephen hawking. Garfield did Salesman on Broadway. Cumberbatch was at the National last year. These actors balance art and commerce.

by Curiousreply 12411/11/2013

No mention of Richard Armitage? Isn't he 'posh'?

by Curiousreply 12511/11/2013

And TH did Pixie Hollow! Oh the sophistication! There is a great use of and education that probably put his parents back half a million!

by Curiousreply 12611/11/2013

Armitage never really gets mentioned. I don't know why he doesn't get more/better work. He's not particularly posh either. I don't think he's an amazing actor but he's delicious.

by Curiousreply 12711/11/2013

"most will go the way of Ben Chaplin, Jeremy Northam, Joseph Fiennes, Ioan Grufford, Paul Bettanny...."

WEHT those guys? Seriously. I used to love Ioan, Ben, and Jeremy. Then I just forgot about them.

For some reason British guys have trouble making it as big time leading men in Hollywood (although they have no trouble finding character parts and tv roles). Hollywood tried to make Clive Owen and Jude Law into leading men but their star vehicles bombed. Most of these guys are talented (except for Henry Cavill - seriously, who voted for him?) and will continue to work but I don't see anyone of them being the next Pitt or Clooney.

by Curiousreply 12811/11/2013

Yeah, I think Brits hit a threshold. Most will never attain the levels of a Pitt, Clooney, Smith, etc.

Brits can make a very good living in Hollywood, but most will never be A list.

by Curiousreply 12911/11/2013

No one is A list anymore. The days of the A list are over.

by Curiousreply 13011/11/2013

R126 as it will go straight to dvd like all the other pixie hollow films, it's safe to say we won't be seeing any heavy promoting with the singing and dancing

by Curiousreply 13111/11/2013

Yeah, but Brad and George are terrible actors.

by Curiousreply 13211/11/2013

Most British actors don't look at A list as a career goal. They're much more serious about the work.

by Curiousreply 13311/11/2013

I'll coincide that. Hardy, Fassbender, Cumberbatch, Whislaw and Garfield (don't know much about the rest) seem like they just want work and bounce all over project-wise.

The A-list is a thing of the past. Putting them in movies doesn't guarantee an audience anymore.

by Curiousreply 13711/11/2013

Hiddles and Cumberbatch have had to work harder because they couldn't get by just on their looks. I think this is also their appeal to the fangurls. Henry Cavill or Richard Armitage are so ridiculously hot that even if they were car mechanics or office clerks the average-looking woman would never have a shot at them. Hiddles and Cumberbatch are the kind of guys they would actually have a shot at in real life, looks-wise.

by Curiousreply 13811/11/2013

[quote]Most British actors don't look at A list as a career goal. They're much more serious about the work.

Give it a rest. They'd keep their asses in some 'royal' theater in London if they were serious about their work.

They all want to make it in Hollywood. And they're all playing superheroes and sci-fi characters.

by Curiousreply 13911/11/2013

[quote]Yeah, I think Brits hit a threshold. Most will never attain the levels of a Pitt, Clooney, Smith, etc.

Nobody will be attaining that status, whether brit or otherwise. See the earlier discussion upthread about the terrible lack of talented up-and-coming American young actors...the days of finding a new Pitt, Clooney etc are over.

by Curiousreply 14011/11/2013

[quote]Henry Cavill or Richard Armitage are so ridiculously hot that even if they were car mechanics or office clerks the average-looking woman would never have a shot at them.

They would if they had penises.

by Curiousreply 14111/11/2013

Only if they just wanted to do plays forever and nothing else.

Exposure in the US industry, no matter how it comes, can open up doors to other projects, such as good indie work. US film industry in general dwarfs the UK's by volume.

I'm not saying that all of them are serious about acting, not at all. Some definitely just want the fame. But it absolutely makes sense for even a serious actor to do a US blockbuster for the exposure.

by Curiousreply 14211/11/2013

[quote]US film industry in general dwarfs the UK's by volume.

I play a dwarf!

by Curiousreply 14311/11/2013

[quote]Rpatz, perhaps the most irrelevant.

He's the next Orlando Bloom.

by Curiousreply 14411/11/2013

Oh come on. Nobody needs to do a blockbuster to get exposure so that they can do indies. They do blockbuster superhero parts because they want the money. Period. They are all doing their best to sell out to Disney. It doesn't lead to serious work. It leads to more blockbusters and other large budget jobs and maybe some GQ interviews or shoots which lead to licensing contracts and yet more money.

Money is power. Not just the money you take home yourself, but the money you can claim your work made for the studios. There are people in the industry who do nothing but crunch these numbers, and these numbers determine who floats to the top. Nothing else.

Talent is very cheap and mostly not even used. British actors are cheap and have the rep for doing exactly what the studios tell them to do (and TH is the poster boy).

by Curiousreply 14511/11/2013

R145 You described TH's whole career plan nicely.

Anyone who thinks he does this for the love of his art is living on Asgard.

by Curiousreply 14611/11/2013

[r 145]

You don't have to, but it sure as hell helps get you out there to a whole lot of casting directors fast. Like I said, I can see why even a serious actor would move between industries.

I wasn't referring to Hiddleston, just some of the other actors up there on the poll. TH and a lot of the other Marvel-involved ones are the actors I was thinking of literally when I typed 'some are in it for the fame,' lol.

by Curiousreply 14711/11/2013

R145 Actually that's incorrect, for Hollywood anyway. The saying is "one for me, one for the studio" - a successful actor will need the exposure in a big-budget film so they can make the indie movies they want. As John Cusack has pointed out.

by Curiousreply 14811/11/2013

For God's sake, Hiddleston is currently rehearsing Coriolanus for the Donmar Warehouse. Anyone who just wants to be a big budget Hollywood movie star does not go devote 6 months of a year to obscure Shakespeare.

by Curiousreply 14911/11/2013

He failed with The Crow and had no other suggestions, he needed work.

by Curiousreply 15011/11/2013

He doesn't have much choice. He's not getting the roles he wants.

Hollywood is not giving him big juicy leading man roles. Doing Coriolanus is just a way of showing to casting directors/industry people he can do serious big-boy acting as well as dancing like a puppet for Disney.

He's hoping it will lead to some more interesting/more significant movie roles.

by Curiousreply 15211/11/2013

R151 The last Shakespeare work was the Hollow Crown in 2012, however the last stage run he did was in 2008, as far as I'm aware (except for 2 one-off theatre events). And he's probably taken the stage role as he wasn't being cast in any films (the director said that the negotiations for the play had been going on for nearly a year).

R153 Oh dear, Whishaw is probably the most talented of the lot.

And I'm intrigued as to what R46 posted; is it really an open secret in Oz that Hemsworth is gay/bi? Receipts, if there are any?

by Curiousreply 15411/11/2013

I'm going to say it and God help me, I really don't want to be one of those people, but still: I'm genuinely sick of all of the British actors; it's enough. I also don't want to hear the bullshit about there being no American actors who can do it because that's such bullshit. Let's stop pretending every actor coming out of the UK is a Shakespearean-trained one.

I mean someone like Cavill fit the damned suit, period. Most of the compliments he gets for Superman are based on his looks, not his acting.

by Curiousreply 15511/11/2013

"Talent is very cheap and mostly not even used. British actors are cheap and have the rep for doing exactly what the studios tell them to do (and TH is the poster boy)."

Except for that bratty Alex Pettyfer

by Curiousreply 15611/11/2013

Speaking of Whishaw, what does everyone think of him playing Freddie Mercury? Similarly, Tom Hardy playing Elton John?

by Curiousreply 15711/11/2013

Think they'll be brilliant. Really they had to be brit actors. Could you see Justin Timberlake playing Elton, as had been rumored? Eeek.

by Curiousreply 15911/11/2013

[quote]Speaking of Whishaw, what does everyone think of him playing Freddie Mercury?

I was born to love you, Ben.

by Curiousreply 16011/11/2013

R155 I agree with you, and I'm a Brit. I'm guessing it's because they're cheap, there's this whole concept of the Brit villain(see: Terence Stamp, Anthony Hopkins, Alan Rickman), there's a perception they're better trained (not necessarily true of course), and at the moment it's a trend.

I remember an interview Ed Norton did, and he said for every one of him, there were a dozen just as talented actors, if not more than him in NY, and he'd just been lucky. Success isn't necessarily to do with talent.

by Curiousreply 16111/11/2013

Could someone please inform me WHY THE FUCK people on here post @s if this place is Twitter?!

by Curiousreply 16311/11/2013

No, just sane.

by Curiousreply 16511/11/2013

Alex Pettyfer or Max Irons to name a few more British youngsters. I prefer Colin Firth or C. Bale over any of the listed actors. I know C. Bale gets a lot of flack but he does a decent job acting and yes yes he did get into the comic book world too. I think it is the accents and old world manners that make some of these men attractive, especially to American women who fantasize about the perfect man. Just give me Jeremy Irons or Alan Rickman.

by Curiousreply 16611/11/2013

"Alex Pettyfer or Max Irons to name a few more British youngsters."

Max Irons is hot but his acting is only okay to me.

by Curiousreply 16711/11/2013

I don't think the posh ones are all that sexy. Most look inbred, the less posh ones are better.

by Curiousreply 16811/11/2013

Isn't Australia the new Britain? Over the last twenty years it seems all of our imported actors-or 'talent'-if you will-hail from there. I've also noticed that the Brit actors get the more 'posh' roles while the Aussies bring the 'macho'factor.

And the film industry now is so different than in the old studio days. No more parts tailored to an 'actors' strengths-now it's every man for himself for the handful of good roles and the lesser talents fight for the meager scraps. In the old studio system,Hiddles would have been seen as a Leslie Howard type-probably would have made a great Ashley Wilkes...

It will be interesting to see which of the cream will rise to the top or who will be the next Hugh Dancy-or Charles Dancy for that matter!

by Curiousreply 16911/11/2013

I've never seen him in anything, but voted for Hemsworth because I felt bad he was at 0%.

by Curiousreply 17011/11/2013

Didn't we fight a war to get away from these people?

by Curiousreply 17111/12/2013

No actor, regardless of nationality, is above taking a role in big budget comic book/vampire/horror/fantasy movies.

Michael Sheen did Twilight and Underworld:Rise of the Lycans; Hugh Jackman besides X Men and Wolverine did Van Helsing (which flopped) and the list goes on.

Actors that get a few big paychecks and hits under their belt get visibility and the perks/respect that come with being a bankable commodity but they get some breathing room to pay the mortgage and be picky about their choices to take smaller roles in indie films or theatre to hone their skills and win critical acclaim.

The late great Lord Laurence Olivier disdained movies. But he took on many film roles late in his career solely for the big paycheck. He also happily "sold out" to shill for Polaroid in commercials which was a big deal back in the mid-70s. Of course, this was Olivier his reputation was cemented and it didn't matter.

R169 A bit of trivia about Leslie Howard: he was vehemently opposed to playing "such a weak and watery character as Ashley Wilkes" and only agreed to take the part after producer David O. Selznick told him he could star in and co-produce Intermezzo with Ingrid Bergman.

by Curiousreply 17211/12/2013

R163 I know, I've osted more than once to inform people who had a hard problem understanding how to back reference a reply that all they had to do was write "R" followed by a the number without spaces or brackets. Apparently not only they don't observe, they don't even bother to ask.

by Curiousreply 17311/12/2013

When Rupert Friend (as Peter Quinn) uttered, "Fuck me," in response to a surprising statement, well, he really made it sound like it being was being whispered to any one of us. He can be British and do that as much as he wants. Incidentally, that was last week; this week he took a shower. Those nipples can literally make you ache.

I know you read here, Rupert. Nice work indeed.

by Curiousreply 17411/12/2013

I can see how tough it must be for British actors - "hey buddy, here's a role in a shite film but we'll pay you a few mill and it's either that or Eastenders?" Hard choice.... I'm sure most people would put aside their pride for that.

Ben Whishaw is an absolutely stunning actor. He'll continue to do well. Cumberbatch will do well. I'm not sure who else.

by Curiousreply 17511/12/2013

R176 How does being on stage with talentless people make you look good exactly? If anything, playing against the best can only improve your skills. Besides, who the hell will ever go to see a play with unaccomplished actors?

by Curiousreply 17711/12/2013

Hey, the OP left off Luke Evans. He's gobbling up all the roles, but i do think he's more attractive than most of these British actors, even his side piece, Henry Cavill.

by Curiousreply 17811/12/2013

R177 I'm not saying he's talentless but the others are more experienced superior stage actors than he is. Also Coriolanus is not a Shakspeare play that makes you say wow. If Mr B only doing this to get noticed for lead roles it's going to fail. If he's doing this because he wants to concentrate on his stage career I agree it would help him become better.

by Curiousreply 17911/12/2013

Redmayne will get a best actor nom for playing hawking. He'll be around forever.

by Curiousreply 18011/12/2013

I think he's doing Coriolanus for the challenge and to keep his hand in theate. I imagine he was offered a few roles on the stage but went for the prestigious (role wise) meaty role that not that many have done before him. He doesn't need the money so he's doing it to pad out his CV. I hope he does it justice. I think it'll be a good play on the strength of Hadley and Gatiss alone to be honest.

Eddie Redmaynes mouth makes me have very naughty thoughts.

by Curiousreply 18111/12/2013

I think he's doing Coriolanus because he wasn't getting cast in any films and the RSC/West End didn't want him either. That's why it took so long to negotiate - he was holding out for better and better didn't happen.

It's going to bore the pants off those who are only going because of him. It's a slog of a play (second longest Shakespeare) and one of the least emotionally engaging. It's one for the serious theatregoer.

by Curiousreply 18211/12/2013

Cillian Murphy is gorgeous.

by Curiousreply 18311/12/2013

I don't agree with you about Coriolanus. It's a great play, one of my personal favorites. And very engaging. It might not be as popular as Macbeth, but it is a great role. Plus there is a partial naked scene. Give it a chance.

Donmar though. This means he was not offered West End.

I think his interest in Shakespeare is sincere but i do not see him as a major player, and I question is ability to carry this role. I think he is doing theatre now because if he doesn't, he might really lose his edge as an actor. The past three years have been too much Loki, and films such as that are really a directors art. Also I think he is still peeved about not getting a BAFTA for THC. This is the sort of role that says "look how serious I am."

by Curiousreply 18411/12/2013

What is all this nonsense about Donmar not being West End? Yes, it's a smaller theatre, but Donmar productions have won 20 Tonys, 21 Evening Standard Awards, and 35 Oliviers. So its productions transfer to the West End all the time.

Some actors love working in the intimate space. It is one of the most high profile theatres in London and certainly not a place people go to hide, or a "second tier" theatre.

It's fine to not like TH but it makes no sense to diminish the theatre he's working at, or act like it is some evidence of his lack of star power. Go look at the actors who have worked their last decade.

by Curiousreply 18511/12/2013

Ben Winshaw is probably the most talented of the bunch.

by Curiousreply 18611/12/2013

Other Brit actors who deserve mentions here: Daniel Craig and Paul Bettany.

by Curiousreply 18711/12/2013

R184 - I didn't say that *I* didn't like the play. In fact, it's one of my personal favourites, along with the also-relatively-underperformed-and-potentially-problematic Merchant of Venice. I said that it would likely be a problem for an audience that is only going to see TH get his top off. It's a good four hours long (unless they cut it to ribbons for the audience) and it lacks the personal themes of the more accessible Shakespeare plays - love, jealousy, murder, etc.

R185 - the Donmar is NOT a West End theatre. It has a good amount of kudos, yes, but it's still second tier. And, like I say, it has a long form of utilising actors with a teenybopper (that word dates me!) pull.

by Curiousreply 18911/12/2013

R86 Boo Hoo. And americans do the same with their fellow countrymen, so somebody needs to help brits

by Curiousreply 19011/12/2013

Clip clop clip clop... Tally ho, Ponies!

by Curiousreply 19111/12/2013

[quote]Hey, the OP left off Luke Evans. He's gobbling up all the roles, but i do think he's more attractive than most of these British actors, even his side piece, Henry Cavill.

Luke Evans is dramatically beautiful, soulful eyes & voice, killer smile, way talented than bland ken doll Cavill. OP was just being a typical DLer.

by Curiousreply 19211/12/2013

R189, the Donmar is eligible for West End awards like the Oliviers -- and wins. Whether or not it is "technically" West End is irrelevant. Is the Royal Court second tier? The National? Something is not "second tier" because it is not at a theatre like Phantom of the Opera is playing at.

As to your assertion that the Donmar utilizes "teenyboppers" -- Branagh, Dench, Derek Jacobi, Ian McKellan... they hire GOOD actors. God forbid a handful of them be young.

by Curiousreply 19311/12/2013

Disagree about Coriolanus. It does have those major themes (including a highly Oedipal mother relationship) and is a lot more accessible than people imagine. If they tie it in with current political events (which it seems like they are doing) people will get into it. This is an excellent role to take on, and the rest of the cast is strong, and the director will make the difference. I just have my doubts about TH's acting chops for this role. He has been way oversold in the media.

Yes, Donmar plays to the fangirl crowd in order to make sure they sell out in advance. This doesn't mean it is second rate. It just means it's a small theatre, not west end, and selling all tickets at a high price is the business plan. They have done some fine shows, but the fangirl factor is very important to them.

by Curiousreply 19411/12/2013

R193 - yes, but you need to look at what else those actors have done. Many actors like a small space or a hipster production. But if it's ALL you can get, it's a problem.

You can think what you like, but I think it's naive to believe that this production isn't something TH is doing because he couldn't get better. And by better, I don't mean higher quality; I mean better for his career ambitions.

by Curiousreply 19511/12/2013

R194, can you please explain the "fangirl factor" at the Donmar with actual facts? What are five productions in the last ten years designed to appeal to "fangirls"?

by Curiousreply 19611/12/2013

My, we are defensive today.

It's not just tumblr-type fan pandering. Although the Ewan Macgregor Othello springs to mind. That's when they started it. And he was AWFUL.

The Donmar likes to appeal to a non-theatre audience. For example, their other big production this season stars a girl from Call The Midwife, a hit UK TV show.

This is their USP. No amount of bigging up TH's casting will make this untrue.

by Curiousreply 19711/12/2013

[quote]Luke Evans is dramatically beautiful, soulful eyes & voice, killer smile, way talented than bland ken doll Cavill. OP was just being a typical DLer. [quote]

Actually DL only allows 10 choices in the poll which was not designed to be exclusively Brits. Plus, OP had a mental lapse -- forgot about Luke Evans. ITA, he's way more talented and handsome than Cavill.

by Curiousreply 19911/12/2013

Why does that list have to be so long? To many actors, to many films.

by Curiousreply 20011/12/2013

Oh surprise another anti British, Australian,anyone but American thread masquerading as a serious question. "Oh why oh why are we dominated by the colonies when we have so much talent in our own country?"

Well this is nothing new.People have been asking this since they hired Vivien Leigh for Scarlett and earlier.

Several reasons.Hollywood prides itself on being international.It isn't really but it's films are exported to the four corners of the world,so it's films dominate most markets.

American actors,tend to be stars rather than actors as such. I am grossly exagerating this point,as there are many fine American actors out there. But you read columns and it is all about being A list ,not dropping to B etc.

One of the reasons that there are fewer openly gay actors in Hollywood is this star thing. As your lowest common demoninater is 12 year old girl lusting over you in Iowa and you have been built up by a Studio who feeds your ego but not your talent. You have little to fall back on if you fail.

British ,and I use that term loosely as I mean anyone outside of the US who speaks English, as that is really what OP is talking about as several actors mentioned aren't British at all, can act and don't mind character acting and can go back to their countries and act in tv or theatre ,then go back to film.

A star will not go back and forth.How much you made in a film on an opening weekend shows how much talent you have.The higher you rise,the more people behind you are willing to take your place should you make a false move..The less likely you are to have a Gay star

by Curiousreply 20111/12/2013

"One of the reasons that there are fewer openly gay actors in Hollywood is this star thing. As your lowest common demoninater is 12 year old girl lusting over you in Iowa and you have been built up by a Studio who feeds your ego but not your talent. You have little to fall back on if you fail."

Unfortunately, many foreign actors are willing to play the game like Luke Evans who magically de-gayed himself when he started getting high profile roles in Hollywood. (God bless Ben Whishaw for not getting a "girlfriend" when he started to get roles)

by Curiousreply 20211/12/2013

2008 reviews for his Cassio in Othello Donmar were very good. let's see how it goes with Coriolanus

by Curiousreply 20311/13/2013

R201, if you want to be more specific, it's *white* guys with different (English-speaking) accents. There's nothing really "international" about Hollywood except as you point out, the 'exporting of films' part.

by Curiousreply 20411/13/2013

Hysterical Crave Online review of Thor 2 which perfectly encapsulates Hiddleston's current situation. He's gained celebrity and is getting pretty good reviews for playing a cartoon/comic book Marvel villain but playing Loki hasn't won him roles in critical mainstream films. The review is funny though.

[quote]I would also like someone to explain the appeal of Loki to me. Seriously, I encourage comments below. Loki has become something of a fan darling, and it can't just be because of the actor playing him. To be fair, Tom Hiddleston is a delicious actor who bites into the role with energy and enthusiasm. He's a pretty face and a talented man, and it's hard not to watch him when he's on screen. But Loki, as a character, is a constant turncoat, whose true plans can never be discerned not because he's tricky or calculating, but because he doesn't even seem to know what he's doing in any given situation. His only goal seems to be to keep characters on their toes for no reason, all by doing whatever occurs to him in the moment. This guy is one goofy cackle and three pop culture references away from being Mr. Mxyzptlk.[quote]

by Curiousreply 20511/13/2013

Primetime must be over. As soon as these stan threads get bumped to the top displacing all the gay threads you know that the cheap fraus can finally post again.

by Curiousreply 20611/13/2013

R4 Posh, to most people, just means someone "well-spoken" without a noticeable regional accent, making them appear to be from a well-to-do background. It doesn't mean they really have to be from an upper-middle-class or upper class background (few people are genuinely upper class because that really means aristocracy) Alan Rickman for example came from a working class background.

Although nowadays actors are encouraged to keep their natural accents so it's probably easier to detect how "posh" they are.

by Curiousreply 20711/13/2013

How did Alexander Skarsgaard get on the poll in the OP? Everyone knows who his dad is, and has he even played a Brit? I've only seen him play Americans.

by Curiousreply 20811/13/2013

Oh surprise another anti British, Australian,anyone but American thread masquerading as a serious question. "Oh why oh why are we dominated by the colonies when we have so much talent in our own country?"

The colonies??? That's America and Australia was to Britain.

by Curiousreply 20911/13/2013

R208 The poll was separate from the title of the thread. It includes some currently popular non-American actors. I was not just Brits. Unfortunately, DL only lets me include 10 choices. Apologies for the confusion. Next time I'm making a poll I'll know better.

by Curiousreply 21011/13/2013

R212 Yep, and after Loki, the red carpet appearances and endless interviews his Coriolanus had better be good or he's going to be devoured by the critics. And that will make it even more difficult for him to get roles in mainstream movies.

by Curiousreply 21311/13/2013

Has anyone else noticed that TH has been changing his very, very posh accent in recent interviews to sound a bit grittier? That on top of his now automatic rattling on about his father's working class roots indicates to me that "posh" is actually getting in the way of his being cast. So far almost everything he has done has been a variation on posh.

Regarding Cassio, it hasn't escaped my notice that TH to some extent IS Cassio, right down to having issues with the trollop girlfriend and his panic over how others perceive him. "Reputation, reputation, reputation! Oh, I have lost my reputation! I have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial." (Clearly Othello would have turned out differently if Cassio had employed Luke Windsor!)

Let's hope that he is not also have a poor and unhappy brain for drinking.

by Curiousreply 21411/13/2013

Also I found this interview funny.

by Curiousreply 21611/13/2013

Mother of God, when will this Hiddleston thing end?

by Curiousreply 21711/13/2013

I would not assume that his supporting role in Crimson Peak is minor. Supporting actors are very important. If this is going to be the Brontesque gothic romantic horror story that is being talked up, the ghostly presences could be pretty awesome.

It is a supporting role though. On the other hand, it is also Del Toro, and not a low budget indie. TH is very lucky to get BC's sloppy seconds.

by Curiousreply 21811/13/2013

R214 I don get the trollop girlfriend. According to him he is single and the only one in his relationships being 'loose' is him. As for his accent and background change its yet another example of him living up to being called Mr B aka Mr bullshit. He only ever says what he thinks you want to hear but not what he really thinks. If an interview would give him better prospects He will also change. The only way he would gain all respect is if he told the truth and be himself.

by Curiousreply 21911/13/2013

Forgot to mention that ive read an interview where TH is being the ultimate MR B. why the fuck is he now claiming that he suggested Loki's storyline in Thor 2! I know actors give a bit if input but he really does take the piss sometimes

by Curiousreply 22011/13/2013

I don't think is a bad guy, but he talks too much, he has to say a lot of bullshit to keep talking

by Curiousreply 22111/13/2013

This is just another fraucunt fangurl thread. Gee, what a surprise.

We hate you, we really really hate you.

by Curiousreply 22311/13/2013

We got it the first time Luke.

by Curiousreply 22411/13/2013

Before you go Luke, tell Mr B we can see straight through him and it won't be long before the stans do too

by Curiousreply 22511/13/2013

WTF is R174 talking about?

by Curiousreply 22911/14/2013

Obviously, there's no way of knowing who will last up there, but the fans are often a good indicator.

If fans mainly focus/talk about looks and personality (Hiddleston, Cavill, Helmsworth etc.), it's iffy and interest often doesn't hold.

Actors whose talent seems to be the primary initial draw going by fans (Hardy, Whislaw, Fassbender, Cumberbatch, etc.) stand a better chance.

by Curiousreply 23311/14/2013

[quote]If fans mainly focus/talk about looks and personality (Hiddleston, Cavill, Helmsworth etc.), it's iffy and interest often doesn't hold.

With Cavill and Hemsworth, most of the compliments they get -in regards to their movies- are usually about how they look. The "acting" part is only considered good by those who are clearly c-struck.

by Curiousreply 23411/14/2013

I don't think it's hatred but more of a pissed off at TH vibe. He's a frustrating sort of person because he's a good man but makes the stupidest descions when we all know he doesn't need to. He needs guidance and a ego deboost as well.

by Curiousreply 23511/15/2013

R229 I didn't get what R174 was on about either but it made me laugh

by Curiousreply 23611/15/2013

In the meantime another Loki'd happened.

by Curiousreply 23711/15/2013

And the promo for Coriolanus started.

by Curiousreply 23811/15/2013

R237 according to the fangurls it's not as good as the last one and it seems 'put on' and this is from the tumblr and twitter crowd. As predicted they are getting bored. R238 there must be 2 TH. one that likes to be one of the common people and talks in a less posh accent about his families working background and the other who fannies around at posh lovelie bashes and talks Shakespeare. Btw this is not hatred just an observation

by Curiousreply 23911/15/2013

R239 I found this Loki'd less funny too, it seems to me like something that should have happened only once. Hopefully nobody will start another "Project Wendy".

by Curiousreply 24011/15/2013

Looks like CH is winning the fangirls this time round. There seems to be more of them popping up everywhere .

by Curiousreply 24211/15/2013

R238 So, after four months of having Loki shoved down our throats on a daily basis- he's now gonna be all about Shakespeare again?

His grind is exhausting. Anything to stay relevant, I guess. Gotta have all the attention. Whatever will he do when his stans grow up and discover that real people exist, not just Tumblr blogs?

by Curiousreply 24411/15/2013

I'm amazed his stans have lasted so long. Hopefully the Loki thing is over and everyone will calm down. Someone new will come along, they always do.

by Curiousreply 24511/15/2013

R242 or CH little brother, given the crowd The Hunger Games premières are getting.

by Curiousreply 24611/15/2013

The Hiddleston hate is weird.

by Curiousreply 24711/15/2013

So is the obsessive delusional stanlove.

by Curiousreply 24811/15/2013

Weirdest of all are the losers who claim not to be stans obsessively following his every move.

by Curiousreply 24911/15/2013

R246 it's been suggested by marvel fans that CH's little brother could take over as Loki in Thor 3. It makes sense plus hunger games trilogy would be finished by then. I quite like the idea of CH v LH and LH is far less irritating than TH.

by Curiousreply 25011/15/2013

R250 Really? But how would that work? (consider I know nothing of the comic and haven't seen Thor2 yet, only read the spoilers)

by Curiousreply 25211/15/2013

R250 apart from the fact that the kid is not capable to act... He strikes me as the female version of mono-expressive Kristen Stewart

by Curiousreply 25311/15/2013

It's alive!

by Curiousreply 25512/28/2013

Mr BS is back!

by Curiousreply 25612/28/2013

People who live in big cities couldn't care less about British actors - they hear accents from all over the world all the time and it's no big deal. It's the fraus in middle America and small towns who have never really travelled that fall for the British accent shit and think it's so "charming". So Hollywood keeps putting these douchebags in movies for that.

by Curiousreply 25712/28/2013

Who/what is CB?

by Curiousreply 25812/29/2013

[quote]Nobody will be attaining that status, whether brit or otherwise. See the earlier discussion upthread about the terrible lack of talented up-and-coming American young actors...the days of finding a new Pitt, Clooney etc are over.

The A-list does exist. Pitt, Clooney, Cruise, Smith, DiCaprio ... these are undisputed A-listers despite their flops. And of these, only DiCaprio has some acting ability. But I agree the Brits can't become anything more than B-list. I still remember when they were trying to make the very mediocre Ewan McGregor happen. But they'll all go the way of Jude Law and Colin Farrell.

by Curiousreply 25912/29/2013

I can't see any of my fellow countrymen becoming star-type A list either. I think the best a Brit can hope for is Gary Oldman status.

As a Brit, I find the British pretty-boy, desperately-seeking A list status actors cringeworthy. They pretend to trade on their "classiness" but in reality, they'd do or be anything to get the big bucks.

by Curiousreply 26012/29/2013

Americans seem fascinated by the Brits - I'm not sure why. But British t.v. shows & movies are all over American television, and there are hundreds of Brits working in Hollywood.

by Curiousreply 26112/29/2013

I think it's the training. You guys only get our classically/traditionally trained actors.

In the UK, there are two types/levels of training - classical/traditional RADA, LAMDA to quality TV and theatre, or stage school to soaps and procedurals. You don't really see any of the latter and my guess would be that is because you have plenty of stage school trainees yourself, but less in the way of RADA type graduates. And of course, our poshies all go the former route. No posh Brit parent would send their kids to one of those nasty low rent stage schools.

Could that be it?

by Curiousreply 26212/29/2013

[quote]I think it's the training. You guys only get our classically/traditionally trained actors.

Bullshit. Robert Pattinson, Henry Cavill, and Gerard Butler are all piece of shit actors. That myth about all Brit actors being classically trained is so out-of-date. They're just like American actors - some are, some aren't.

by Curiousreply 26312/29/2013

I'm not saying ALL. I'm just saying that there are two routes into acting in the UK and the Brits that make it stateside generally come from only one of them. I can't disagree that Cavill couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, but truly, you don't see our actual dross. Presumably, you have enough of your own for ours to get anywhere near a look in.

by Curiousreply 26412/29/2013

Honestly I think part of it is some kind of inferiority complex on the part of the US industry. They automatically think British actors = talent because so much of success in British television/film/theatre isn't measured in the same blockbuster dollars terms. So somehow they assume British = class and credibility, too.

by Curiousreply 26512/29/2013

R266 if only there was gossip

by Curiousreply 26712/29/2013

A news could be that he's finally changed his clothes

by Curiousreply 26812/29/2013

I've been reading on other sites that one of the common practices is for young British t.v. actors to come to LA in the Spring during pilot season to look for work. Some of the ones who have dreams of stardom and are think they are too good for the UK try to make it in Hollywood rather than having to work away back home, but many of them find it hard to break in.

by Curiousreply 26912/29/2013

After watching Homeland, I started reading up on Damian Lewis. I think he's a wonderful actor and he mainly plays Americans so the British accent doesn't come into play. However, I read an article where he states how hard it is being away from his kids. Yet, based on his roles, he seems hungry to stay in the Hollywood mainstream, so I'm not buying the family first. His wife seems to be content with sticking with the UK industry.

Jim Sturgess is another one that was supposed to be the next big British movie star.

by Curiousreply 27012/29/2013

Perhaps it will reach a limit though or a saturation point where there are too many young British actors competing for the same roles in America. For example, British actor Bradley James who used to star on 'Merlin' has not been able to get any work over the past year despite spending several months in LA during pilot season.

by Curiousreply 27112/29/2013

Has anyone actually done stats on this? The majority of actors in Hollywood productions are still American, no?

by Curiousreply 27412/29/2013

R274, I'm pretty sure the majority of actors in American productions are still American, yes. It's not as if the Brits have completely taken over - there are just quite a few of them.

by Curiousreply 27512/29/2013

I cast my vote for Henry Cavill. But I really would have preferred to cast my vote for Tom Cullen. I fell in lust with him when I saw "Weekend". I'm looking forward to seeing him all dressed up for Downton Abbey.

by Curiousreply 27612/29/2013

R266 and R267, There is no TH thread and I hope there never will be again. In fact, I think some desperate stan who is not a paying member of the DL community bumped this thread in order to get a discussion of him started up here again. Paying members of DL do not want to start a thread on him again because all it does is bring over hordes of overinvested nutjobs. They have plenty of other places to obsess over him online. We don't want it here.

Now back on topic. I agree with R265. For some reason, there seems to be this perception in the US that everything and everyone British automatically confers a certain degree of class and respectability. I like to call it Downton Abbey Syndrome although it was bad prior to that too.

by Curiousreply 27812/29/2013

I wonder if people were bitching via letters to the 30s fan mags about David Niven and Errol Flynn stealing roles from American actors.

by Curiousreply 27912/29/2013

[quote]probably because Bradley James is a shit actor. Honestly I used to cringe at Merlin.

He was okay sometimes, but you're right that he was lucky to get the role on that show. He had virtually no experience beforehand, and hasn't received the awards and accolades that Colin Morgan has.

He hasn't done any work in a year.

by Curiousreply 28012/29/2013

Rob Kazinsky from True Blood. Everything I want in an actor.

by Curiousreply 28112/29/2013

Julian Morris has broken into the American acting world very successfully.

by Curiousreply 28212/29/2013

I too agree that part of the attraction is the accent. But aside from that, the British actors do seem more hardworking and some of them alluded to the fact that they are "cheaper" to hire than the Americans.

The sudden influx could be due to the lack of young American actors these days I'm afraid, and more talents coming from across the globe, i.e. in Europe.

I personally do like the British men, and admit that I'm a sucker for the posh accent. I love English literature, writing and words in general. So yes I am superficial for loving how English words sound when read in a British posh accent.

by Curiousreply 28312/29/2013

One of the truest moments in The Office was when Nellie Betram bumped Andy from his job. Brits just skate by on their accents in front of overly impressed Americans.

[italic]I grew up poor. I had little formal education, no real skills. I don’t work especially hard, and most of my ideas are either unoriginal or total crap. And yet, I walked right into a job for which I was ill-prepared, ill-suited and somebody else already had and I got it.If you ask me, that’s the American dream, right there.

Nellie Betram [/italic]

This is so true. You can add the annoying Piers Morgan and super-irritant Louis Theroux to those who get away with a lot because of their accent. Louis, especially, would have had his ass kicked by some of his interviewees by now.

I think the same applies to British actors. People are willing to look past so much including mediocrity just because of their accents. Jude Law, Ewan Macgregor, Russell Brand all got chance after chance as the machine tried to make them superstars.

by Curiousreply 28412/30/2013

R284, and ironically enough, Tate is actually a very talented actress/comedienne who deserves her success.

It seems it's more of the Brits males who can get away with mediocrity - more so than then the women.

However, I don't think I can agree with you when it comes to Jude Law in that he clearly got his break because of his looks.

Cavill is Jude Law 2.0

by Curiousreply 28512/30/2013

I'd never saw or heard of Damian Lewis before Homeland ( I totally missed Band of Brothers).

Wow! What a revelation he was in terms of his stellar acting. His American accent was so authentic that I was shocked to learn he was British. RIP Nicholas Brody; I know the character had to go; the Homeland showrunners had exhausted every option for his character except for his demise. Still, I'll miss Damian Lewis, Homeland won't be the same without him. And I'll be watching for DL's next project.

I've also noticed that British and Australian actors (e.g. Ryan Kwanten) generally do a much better job with American accents, than American actors do with British, Scottish and Australian accents and Irish brogues. Tom Cruise's Irish brogue in Far and Away was seriously pathetic.

by Curiousreply 28612/30/2013

R286, Check out the first season or two of LIFE, Damian Lewis' other US series. Lots of fun and very hot.

And his character in Band of Brothers was spectacular. Much more demanding viewing than LIFE, of course, but well worth your time.

by Curiousreply 28712/30/2013

R287 Thanks for the tip about DL in Life. I'll look it up and see when it might be on my cable schedule or maybe rent it on VOD or NetFlix.

It's interesting that Lewis is a late bloomer. He's just hitting his stride and getting a lot of recognition in the last few years as he hit 40.

It's also interesting that his next project is the Werner Herzog film "Queen of the Desert" with Nicole Kidman, James Franco and Robert Pattinson. Filming starts in Morocco in the next week or so. I wonder how Franco and Pattinson will be faring in their careers when they're 40.

by Curiousreply 28812/30/2013

I doubt Pattinson's career will be going anywhere by the time he is 40. Not sure about Franco.

by Curiousreply 28912/31/2013

[quote]Cavill is Jude Law 2.0

That's unfair. Jude Law actually has some talent.

by Curiousreply 29012/31/2013

r281 Kazinsky? Did you not see him push out a stinking pile of shit in Pacific Rim? Or be THE WORST on True Blood? Horrible HORRIBLE actor.

by Curiousreply 29101/02/2014

[quote]Jude Law actually has some talent.

Not to mention a couple of Oscar nominations - something Cavill is unlikely to receive.

by Curiousreply 29201/02/2014

And r286 American accents are FAR easier to imitate than English/Australian ones. It has to do with flattening and rounding vowels.

by Curiousreply 29301/02/2014

Also, Jude has turned into a really interesting character actor as his looks have faded. Something Cavill will never achieve.

by Curiousreply 29401/02/2014

[quote]It's also interesting that his next project is the Werner Herzog film "Queen of the Desert" with Nicole Kidman, James Franco and Robert Pattinson. Filming starts in Morocco in the next week or so. I wonder how Franco and Pattinson will be faring in their careers when they're 40.

Pattinson won't have a career at 40. In fact, I wonder if totally botching the role of T.E. Lawrence will put the final nail in the coffin?

by Curiousreply 29501/02/2014

Jonny Lee Miller has also been doing well for himself on stage, screen and TV. He's been working steadily in all three mediums in the UK and here in the US -- most recently in the US TV series "Elementary" as Sherlock Holmes with Lucy Liu as Watson.

One indication of his success is that hardly anyone mentions (or maybe they don't remember) that he was married to Angelina Jolie for a quick minute back in the mid-to-late 90s.

by Curiousreply 29601/02/2014

R297 The crazies could be lurking just waiting to pounce when a new Hiddleston thread appears. What's new about TH at this point?

He's doing Coriolanus, getting good reviews and the drama at the stage door appears to have calmed down. The only new thing coming up is the NTLive filming on January 30th and then he starts filming Crimson Peak in February.

No real gossip

by Curiousreply 29801/02/2014

R296, no one talks about Jonny Lee Miller at all - he has been forgotten.

by Curiousreply 30001/02/2014

Closed,damn! boring boring people

by Curiousreply 30601/05/2014

So who does everyone think will be the next big 20 or 30 something actor?

by Curiousreply 30701/05/2014

by Curiousreply 31101/05/2014

People hate these threads because they attract all kinds of fangirl batshittery, almost entirely from people who otherwise don't give a damn about DL or participate in the community in any meaningful way.

It's a community, people. A COMMUNITY. It is not Tumblr where you can block things you don't like or choose things you do like and everything is about you and your obsessions. A community offers something different.

I think a lot of DLers feel that Tumblr has created a kind of fan who really can't fathom how her actions affect others: infantile narcissists who feel entitled to do whatever they want no matter how much its shits upon others.

The message is clear: take your heterosexual privilege and your sexual obsessions elsewhere because the mods will always shut these disruptive threads down.

by Curiousreply 31301/05/2014

"spilling their annoyance" = "spilling the tea" = reflection of fangrrl love of Bravo reality programs

by Curiousreply 31601/05/2014

Whishaw Redmayne & Cumberbatch are magnetic on screen. I don't understand Fassbander. Clearly he's hot and he reminds me of Olivier a lot (looks-wise) but other than that I don't understand why he's such a big deal.

by Curiousreply 32201/05/2014

R322 Speaking only for myself, I think Fassbender is one of the best actors of his generation. He's got a lot of range, takes different types of roles: the robot David in Prometheus, Magneto in X-Men, Lord Rochford in Jane Eyre, the sex addict in Shameless and the sadistic plantation owner in 12 Years a Slave. He always gives very edgy and intense performances. I equate Fassbender to this generation's Daniel Day-Lewis. He's also hot. And I love the Irish brogue.

Cumberbatch's appeal escapes me. But I give BC big props for constantly working. I think he's been the busiest actor in his age group over the past two years. He seems to crop up in everything from stage, screen and television. So good for him.

by Curiousreply 32501/05/2014

Anyone else think BC looks like a chipmunk? What IS the attraction?

by Curiousreply 32701/05/2014

R370 public school in UK = private school in US

by Curiousreply 37201/06/2014

What we need is a lot more BOLD!

by Curiousreply 37901/06/2014

Oh Mison, what a babe

by Curiousreply 39601/09/2014

by Curiousreply 41701/10/2014

[R429] Sure, Kevin Feige was definitely going to let an actor out of filming his biggest Marvel production so far out in New Mexico so he could go pretend to answer Branagh's phone. Sure, let's just have RDJ and SLJ and all these hundreds of other people cool their jets on this $220 million production so TH can fly to Sweden for a few days. No, you would be the one who is naive and knows little. And your protestations about BBC-TV and THC are comical. You keep back-tracking. I see you've dropped your whine about needing to win a BAFTA in order to get work again. The BBC is the BBC and they did give him that part. BTW, Sam Mendes is not just "theater people". If your blather were to be believed, Dan Stevens would be the one facing a very bleak future, what with walking away from a major role in a huge production and your insistence that the BBC holds grudges for people walking away from bit parts. And if everyone who ever said they wanted to avoid being typecast as doing nothing but BBC period pieces was barred, well, there would be nobody left to do them.

by Curiousreply 43301/10/2014

Of all the British actors who could be described as posh, I am shocked that no one has mentioned this guy. His clothes and demeanor in this photo epitomize the posh lifestyle.

by Curiousreply 43601/10/2014

Could we PLEASE try to keep this thread from derailing and turning into yet another tiresome TH thread? Please?

Okay, moving on to the actual thread topic now. I have a question about exactly what it is that makes a British actor "posh". It is coming from a background of wealth in the family? Being educated at schools considered prestigious? A combination of the two?

And it seems like applying the word "posh" to someone creates a negative connotation now. It that accurate?

by Curiousreply 43901/10/2014

There are gradations of posh. The most obvious indicator in terms of acting would be the accent. There's nicely spoken and then there is plummy RP.

Another not mentioned so far is Rupert Penry-Jones.

by Curiousreply 44101/10/2014

I saw Max Irons in The White Queen and whether it was the adaptation or the writing, I found the performances by Irons and the female lead Rebecca Ferguson very underwhelming.

Max Irons is great eye candy though. I did enjoy his terrific ass and buttocks! He doesn't much resemble his Dad Jeremy. As far as looks go, Max reminds me of Friends and Episodes star Matt LeBlanc. Time will tell if he's inherited Jeremy's talent.

by Curiousreply 44201/10/2014

R436 As an American, I didn't immediately make the connection that Max Irons was the son of Jeremy Irons and Sinead Cusack. He doesn't look anything like his famous Dad. IMO, Max does resemble Matt LeBlanc of Friends and Episodes.

I saw The White Queen and found his acting and that of the female lead, Rebecca Ferguson to be so-so and I didn't see much chemistry between them. He was great eye candy though. Hopefully, Max can prove he has inherited some of his parents acting chops in future endeavors. The pose he struck in Town and Country -- a very posh magazine indeed -- looked like he was going for a young James Dean demeanor rather than pure posh.

by Curiousreply 44301/10/2014

Max Irons is very brattish and short on talent. Hated The White Queen.

by Curiousreply 44401/10/2014

R439 see R355's definitions for posh.

by Curiousreply 44501/10/2014

Speaking of TH, I was right about Luke pimping him out. Profile in the Telegraph mag tomorrow.

by Curiousreply 44601/10/2014

[quote]As an American, I didn't immediately make the connection that Max Irons was the son of Jeremy Irons and Sinead Cusack. He doesn't look anything like his famous Dad.

Max looks exactly like Sinead. I didn't think he was terrible in the White Queen and he certainly provided wonderful eye candy.

by Curiousreply 44801/10/2014

I watched the first episode of the White Queen and wasn't impressed. Boring, no chemistry between anyone. Haven't seen Max in anything else I don't think.

by Curiousreply 45201/10/2014

What makes a British actor "posh"? Wealth, possibly, but only if at least second-generation and used to put said actor through a top-tier Public School. (A grand, very expensive boarding school.)

Said school should ensure entrance to a similarly top-tier university and/or drama school.

The "posh" tag is hot now because of the recent privileged generation coming to prominence. (It ties in a bit with the fact that the PM, deputy PM, Chancellor and London Mayor are all rightly described as posh boys, and are as such seen as out of touch with the struggling masses.)

"Posh" in describing actors isn't I think negative, just a short-hand tag, a handy hook for hacks. Actors can either act or they can't - their schooling is irrelevant.

by Curiousreply 46801/10/2014

R473 Did you ever see Olivia? She's very blonde, bookstore girl is dark. Bookstore girl may be or may not be the one who can't be named, but she's certainly not Olivia.

by Curiousreply 47501/10/2014

Ok, TH stalkers as much as I like you, you've lost your mind here.

You really believe that Tom would be in a relationship with Cumberbatch's ex???? And you really believe they would make it official like that, TH following her on tweeter.

I can believe they're friends or whatever, but it's a bit too much.

by Curiousreply 47601/10/2014

Why not ask Andrew Scott, OP?

by Curiousreply 49201/10/2014

What do you think of Jack Huston, who can now be seen in American Hustle?

by Curiousreply 49301/10/2014

[R501], you sound jealous

by Curiousreply 50201/10/2014

You all are the weirdest bunch of stans ever. You're all obsessed with the guy but some of you hate him and some of you think he's the most perfect person ever. No wonder his fans have a bad rep.

by Curiousreply 50401/10/2014

R506, no. What's worse is your obsession with this guy.

by Curiousreply 51901/10/2014

I hope Mison will do some theatre too, he did at the beginning of his career

by Curiousreply 57301/11/2014

Accept that fact that more than a few DLers are crazy. These are not invasions from the "outside". There are plenty of other places to discuss these people (to death). No need to come to the DL to do so.

We've had soap mania, Pony mania, now it's TH mania. These are DLer fangurls (of both sexes) posting this stuff.

I agree that it would be considerate if such fans could start their own threads and not force (sane) posters to wade through otherwise interesting threads. Maybe then the webmaster would give you a break and not shut your tiresome musings down.

by Curiousreply 58701/11/2014

Say what you will about the people posting about Harry Styles et al several months ago, at least they left en masse when it was made obvious to them that the discussion wasn't welcome here.

by Curiousreply 58901/11/2014

I forgot to include Ken Watanabe, Djimon Hounsou, and Clint Eastwood in my poll! They're also among everyone's favorite posh British actors.

by Curiousreply 59001/11/2014

R579 apparently he was Potty Perowne in Parade's End. I didn't realise Potty was hot!

by Curiousreply 59101/11/2014

I'm a longtime DLer, not familiar with Hiddleston or his work, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something going on behind the scenes resulting in the threads being shut down. Something more than the webmaster finding the fangirls annoying, that is. I've noticed the same thing happens with David Tennant (hardly a widely discussed actor), anytime a thread starts discussing his private life and the rumours about him, it gets nuked. The 'actors you think will come out' thread ran for ages with lots of potentially libelous posts, but it was only when poster started speculating about Tennant's marriage that it was deleted.

by Curiousreply 59801/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!