Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cutting calories by cutting drinking

After many years of a 2-3 glasses of wine per night habit, I've decided to stop drinking. Mostly because now that I'm older I just don't handle the alcohol very well and I often feel achy and foggy in the morning. I also don't sleep very well, and suppose that could be from drinking too.

I am 43 years old and have 10 pounds I just can't lose (ok, make it 15). For those of you who have quit drinking, how long did it take for you to start noticing the positive effects? Better sleep, losing weight, etc?

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2013

I'd say in about a week to ten days, you'll look at least five pounds thinner just from the loss of booze bloat altogether.

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2013

Good for you, OP. Make sure you don't quit cold turkey if you really have been drinking 2-3 glasses daily for years. You don't want to have withdrawal symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2013

I'm now embarking on my first wine-free evening in many many years. Hoping for a good night's sleep, but know it might take a few days.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2013

2-3 glasses of red wine is not a problem.

Alcohol also has a lot of anti-aging benefits as a stress reliever.

Try cutting sugar, flour, and grains from your diet first.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2013

R4 = alcoholic

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2013

Really R4? Then I guess the acid reflux that wakes me up in the middle of the night, not being able to breathe because of the 3 glasses of wine per night for 3 years is "not a problem."

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2013

You're doing the right thing, OP. Please come back and update us on your progress.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2013

I'm sure you have other dietary problems causing your acid problems. Alcohol does not promote acid production or airway constriction. Wine is low in calories, sugar, and every medical study comparing wine drinkers to teetotalers shows a proven increase in longevity and health for for former.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2013

I do wonder how large are those glasses, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2013

R4, the main reason I am cutting the wine is because it's causing me to feel like crap every morning and disrupting my sleep which then makes me tired all day and I end up eating more to keep myself going. The reduction of calories in the actual wine is a secondary bonus. I realize wine has health benefits, but clearly the way I'm doing it isn't doing me any favors.

As for the size of the glasses, I'm definitely not drinking a bottle a night. Probably more like 1/2 a bottle or a little bit more than that on average.

I'm well past the hour when I would have poured my first glass. No issues so far.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2013

Op I agree with (R4) I have lived Paleo for a while now but still drink 2-3 glasses f wine a day. I have lost 30 lbs since Paleo (8 months) and look and feel amazing.

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2013

Wine makes me wake up in the middle of the night. Then you have to go to work and struggle to try to stay awake while you feel like you're dying. Then you buy coffee to keep you up. Then you're so wound up by the coffee you drink wine when you're at home to feel tired.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2013

[quote] Alcohol does not promote acid production

Are you kidding?

[quote] not being able to breathe because of the 3 glasses of wine per night for 3 years is "not a problem.

I wonder if this has to do with sulfites in wine. When I stopped drinking wine, it became much easier to breathe through my nose.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2013

[quote]the main reason I am cutting the wine is because it's causing me to feel like crap every morning and disrupting my sleep which then makes me tired all day and I end up eating more to keep myself going.

Then that is a good reason.

I would consider experimenting with reducing sugar in your diet and adding fat as well.

I'm a lifelong insomniac and two things that have helped me this year were: a Memoryfoam pillow with a U-shape for sidesleepers, and putting another pillow on top of my head to create a cozy, quiet feeling.

Make wine a treat and chat with people at a local wine store, there's a lot of joy in wine drinking.

Hope you feel better OP.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2013

To answer my own question:

[quote]Sulfites are counted among the top nine food allergens,[dubious – discuss] but a reaction to sulfite is not a true allergy.[9] Some people (but not many) have positive skin allergy tests to sulfites indicating true (IgE-mediated) allergy.[10] It may cause breathing difficulty within minutes after eating a food containing it,[11] asthmatics[12][13] and possibly people with salicylate sensitivity (or aspirin sensitivity)[14][15] are at an elevated risk for reaction to sulfites. Anaphalaxis and life threatening reactions are rare.[10] Other symptoms include sneezing, swelling of the throat, and hives.[15]

And my sneezing stopped, too. I didn't associate that with stopping the wine.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2013

I wake up in the middle of the night quite a bit too. I never really thought it could be due to 2 glasses of wine. I am pretty sure that isn't the reason, in fact this weekend I had a couple each night but slept through the night both nights.

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2013

Me too OP. I stopped altogether and lost those pesky 20 pounds in my midsection. I sleep better too. I still will have a social glass maybe at a dinner party once a month.

Best thing I ever did.l

by Anonymousreply 1711/10/2013

There are far too many alcohol/wine/food nazis in this thread.

OP, talk to your doctor about the problem. I doubt very much that you are an alcoholic or that a couple of glasses of wine are damaging you in any way. That amount isn't particularly fattening or bloating.

Exercise helps insomnia, interrupted sleep and groggy mornings. I don't know what sort of sports or gym routine you're into but you might want to take a look at it. Increasing exercise will help you lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2013

I can drink a 1.5l bottle of wine a night. I can't deal w/it in the morning though. Not like I used to. Needless to say, I'm obese. From the wine to the overload of carbs the next day to deal w/the hangover.

I'm going to go cold turkey starting tomorrow. Along w/a better diet and exercise, I hope to lose weight and I hope this thread remains alive during my dry time.

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2013

I recently stopped drinking because of sleep problems. It has helped a lot. The most I would drink anyhow was one beer but even that one beer would cause me disrupted sleep. It is a proven fact.

I say - replace all the alcohol with water and your body will thank you. Your skin will be brighter, you will lose a few pounds, and you will sleep better.

No one needs alcohol to relax. It is overrated. It causes more problems than it solves. I know more people who have ruined their livers and their lives with drink.

by Anonymousreply 2011/10/2013

I will support, you R19. I've been having too much wine and am very bloated looking.

by Anonymousreply 2111/10/2013

I quit drinking 3 weeks ago, after 8 months of drinking wine (and I was drinking a bottle or more) nightly. It turns out, I am an angry drunk and was living with an alcoholic.

We broke up and I have lost 195 #s (180= him, 15= me from no more wine). Feel much better, even if I miss him and have engaged in some comfort eating of carbs and grains.

by Anonymousreply 2211/10/2013

Who gives a fuck if op wants to quit. It's doubtful he's only drinking 2 or 3 glass per night. How's that work? You drinking it out of a box? Why do people get so fucking uptight if someone wants to quits booze? That shit is poison. The healthy amount of wine recommended is laughably small. Op, you look and feel better in a week or two.

by Anonymousreply 2311/10/2013

Best of luck, R19. Be sure to get support; you don't have to do it alone.

by Anonymousreply 2411/10/2013

r22 your ex dropped 180 lbs?

by Anonymousreply 2511/10/2013

Thanks R[21] and R[24]. I hope to do it this time. So much waste in so many ways. Imagine all that booze!!

I'm going it alone though. To ashamed to admit I drink that much! I don't even tell my doctor. It's so embarrassing.

OP good luck and please keep us updated!!

by Anonymousreply 2611/10/2013

I also drink two glasses of wine daily. I tried giving it up for about a month to see if it would help me lose weight or make me feel better and nothing changed. I guess it just really depends on your individual body chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2013

I decided to not drink for a month. Just as an experiment. I was drinking two beers a night, every night. I just really like it. But I wanted to see what would happen. After the first week, I no longer craved the beer. I'd reach for a glass of water when I felt like having a beer. After the month was over, I was sleeping better, eating better, and feeling great. This was really a surprise to me, cause beer is/was a hobby, and kind of part of my identity. I was a beer connoisseur (some say snob). Since I only stopped for a month, I knew I could go back to it if I felt like it. But I haven't. And yes, I lost weight.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2013

Liza?...Feel free to chime in here.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2013

OP here. Just woke up from sleeping alllll night long. Yeah!

Interesting reading this thread and how many people think I don't need to stop drinking because it's not "too much". I agree for many many people it's not too much, but it is obviously too much for me. This is a choice for me and I am in no way judging anyone else who drinks a similar amount of wine nightly. In fact, my partner does and he did last night too and that's a-ok with me. I'm doing this for me, no one else.

I do expect to enjoy a glass of wine now and again in the future, but for now I'm breaking the nightly habit and hoping to start feeling good every day.

As for my exercise routines - I do exercise, but I also have an insane job. So this wine quitting thing is also to make sure I have enough energy to work out in addition to working 60-70 hours a week. Off to spin class in a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2013

I too want to cut back. The way I drink I should be monstrously fat, but somehow I'm not. I think I will look and feel better and get more done if I drink a lot less.

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!