Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Christie: I’m ready to be president because I’d do ‘exactly what Ronald Reagan would have done’

Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Sunday argued that he had the right temperament to be president because he was like conservative hero Ronald Reagan.

Following his expected landslide re-election, the New Jersey governor spent his Sunday appearing on at least four news shows, fueling the speculation that he was gearing up for a presidential run in 2016.

But Fox News host Chris Wallace pointed out that Christie had demonstrated a “short temper” over the course of his career.

“Do you have the patience for — you call it the garbage — the parlor game of being picked apart by the other politicians, being picked apart by us in the media for two years if you decide to run for president?” the Fox News host wondered.

“Listen, I’m the governor of New Jersey,” Christie declared. “And if you don’t think that being governor of New Jersey tries your patience then you haven’t spent enough time in my state, Chris. I am absolutely confident in my own ability to lead, and obviously so are 62 percent of the people the state of New Jersey who re-elected me on Tuesday night.”

“At the end of the day, Chris, here are what people in Washington, D.C. don’t understand,” he continued. “If you want to win a vote by that kind of margin, if you want to attract a majority of the Hispanic vote, if you want to nearly triple your African-American vote, you need to show up, you need to go into those neighborhoods, you need to campaign in places.”

Christie recalled that he had done a town hall in Essex County in 2009 and more people showed up at the event than voted for him in that city that year.

“That’s the way the Republican Party will make itselves [sic] more relevant to a whole much broader group of folks,” he insisted. “And the fact is, that’s exactly what Ronald Reagan would have done and did do when he was campaigning for president. I did that campaigning for governor because I believed it’s what’s right to do as governor when you represent all the people.”

Watch the video below from Fox News’ Fox News Sunday, broadcast Nov. 10, 2013.

by Anonymousreply 6711/11/2013

Ronald Reagan wasn't morbidly obese. Do you know what a national campaign would do to fat boy's diet and waistline?

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2013

Well, for me, that is a ringing endorsement.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2013

He won by a landslide, not because people loved him but because his opponet was so much worse. His fat ass will never be President.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2013

His "popularity" isn't transferable at all beyond that specific race last Tuesday. He was running against a really bad Democratic incumbent the first time, and had zero local-level coat tails this time.

He's as bad a snob as Mittens "NASCAR" Romney, as voters in Yahoo-land will discover.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2013

Besides, his wife looks like a man.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2013

let him run, he'll never win....

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2013

HD is not his friend. I had no idea what bad skin he has until I watched him on the Sunday morning shows today. And his face takes up the whole screen.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2013

Ugh. He is repulsive. WHY WHY WHY are people in this state fooled by him?

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2013

Oh, so he's planning to allow a disease to rise to epidemic proportions?

He's planning to take credit for the fall of communism after it's already happened?

He'll endorse and fund another bullshit space weapons program based on a fictional evil empire?

He'll let his wife dictate his policies based on her occult hairdressers' advice?

And he'll start an illegal guerrilla terrorist group in South America, and then get Alzheimer's and forget he did any of this?

I "heart" the '80s!

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2013

How could he ever pass a physical exam to become president? I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2013

Ronald Reagan is the magic work in the Republican party. If you don't appear to worship him, forget getting on a national ticket.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2013

[quote]How could he ever pass a physical exam to become president? I'm serious.

He refused to hand over medical records to the Romney campaign when he was vetted for VP. You can't be that obese and not have health issues.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2013

[quote]How could he ever pass a physical exam to become president?

It's not in the Constitution that you have to pass a physical. We've had obese presidents. But not in the age of mass media.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2013

and r12, of course they only MENTION Reagan, they don't propose policies he would endorse. No way would he have gotten us in Iraq or passed the Patriot Act.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2013

He's not going to survive the Republican primary debates in 2016. It appears that most candidates will be to his right, because that's where the votes are now.

It may come down to a relatively resonable conservative Republican vs. Christie as the primaries wind down. Then it's difficult to see Christie winning primaries, not on the east and west coasts when he's one on one with a more conservative candidate. And that's only if he keeps his temper in check, which almost certainly will not happen.

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2013

[quote[Besides, his wife looks like a man.

Shocking!!! A would-be presidential candidate??

by Anonymousreply 1711/10/2013

Supposedly Romney's team found stuff on him that would have seriously hurt his re-election chances here in NJ (so thanks for sitting on it, guys!). His primary competitors aren't going to pass up on that sort of dirt.

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2013

We hate Christe in NJ, I don't get his huge win. Low turnout, and holding the Booker election a huge taxpayer cost btw.

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2013

You guys seriously underestimate the FAT vote in this country, let alone the bad skin and short temper vote.

Between all those he's a lock for president.

by Anonymousreply 2011/10/2013

He will have to choose his VP very carefully. Even stupid people know the presidency is crazy stressful and an unhealthy pres won't last long.

by Anonymousreply 2111/10/2013

The fat man is going to find himself in an impossible situation as far as the Rethuglican primary goes. He can bluster all he wants about reaching out to the black and Hispanic communities, but the platform he will have to run on in order to win the nomination will not help him with minorities. Tubby can try and run away from the Reich-wing crazies, but in large part they control the nominating process in the early states.

by Anonymousreply 2211/10/2013

I think Jeb Bush and Scott Walker have a better shot of winning the "moderate" vote in the primaries. Both of them appeal to a wider swath of the party than Christie does. Jeb will have Karl Rove behind him, and Walker has all that Koch money behind him.

New Hampshire is the only early primary that I can see Christie winning. He won't win Florida if Rubio or Bush runs. It's hard to build momentum if you lose 3 out of the first 4 primaries.

by Anonymousreply 2311/10/2013

Does he realize one must run, not waddle, for president?

by Anonymousreply 2411/10/2013

Are the retards in NJ happy that they elected this dumb fat fuck?

by Anonymousreply 2511/10/2013

Artur Davis-his VP

by Anonymousreply 2611/10/2013

R25, see r19.

by Anonymousreply 2711/10/2013

Well Reagan supported and signed immigration reform that granted millions of undocumented aliens citizenship, raised taxes, and illegally sold arms to Iran, is this his plan for his presidency? That really doesn't sound like a Republican platform.

by Anonymousreply 2811/10/2013

I saw a picture of her for the first time recently, and she was NOT what I thought his wife would look like. I thought she'd look a lot more nouveau riche.

by Anonymousreply 2911/10/2013

Democrats had better stop being stupid and falling for this fatass when he's no better than Ted Cruz when it comes to policy. Anyway, those teabaggers will destroy him in the primaries. He's too abrasive and a bully and his "I say what I want" macho bluster is going to backfire on him and he'll lose votes, it's inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 3011/10/2013

[quote]Ugh. He is repulsive. WHY WHY WHY are people in this state fooled by him?

They aren't. They just went through a devastating storm a year ago. Many still haven't got back into their homes. Businesses are still closed but Christie did the ultimate Republican sin. He asked Obama for help, and that's what NJ needs. They simply want him to finish what he started. Not one person I know would ever vote for him for President.

by Anonymousreply 3111/10/2013

He plans on getting dementia and checking out to let his wife and a cabal of insiders run the country while he does photo-ops?

by Anonymousreply 3211/10/2013

[quote]I’d do ‘exactly what Ronald Reagan would have done’

Really? Trade arms for hostages, spend a fortune on fantasy star wars weapons, ignore a national health crisis and develop Alzheimer's while in office?

Um... okay then.

The Republicans lost with McCain and again with Romney, neither of whom was considered acceptable to the tea baggers. I think they'll go full-cray-cray next time.

Christie won't make it through the primaries.

by Anonymousreply 3311/10/2013

Christie is in the news because of media hype. The truth is that he ran against two very weak Democratic candidates. He has too many skeletons in his closet and he will readily be discredited after the media love. Hillary could eat him for breakfast, figuratively speaking of course.

by Anonymousreply 3411/10/2013

His wife seems hateful.

WHen he was yelling at another teacher last week she stood next to him smiling widely as if it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen.

Something off about her.

by Anonymousreply 3611/10/2013

Oh, Goody! I missed the taste of government cheese.

by Anonymousreply 3711/10/2013

R36 Her off ness is likely due to lack of oxygen from Christie nearly suffocating her every time they have sex.

by Anonymousreply 3811/10/2013

Politically, Christie and Reagan are similar. Reagan was and Christie is a pragmatic conservative. Reagan was way to the right of the GOP center in 1976. The GOP center is well to the right of Christie.

by Anonymousreply 3911/10/2013

Teabillies are demanding that GOP leaders put more money and support behind their crazy candidates like Cuccinelli - they think they could win the general election if the GOP really backed those nutjobs. I hope they do because that would totally destroy the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 4011/10/2013

[quote] Reagan was and Christie is a pragmatic conservative.

List of examples.

by Anonymousreply 4111/10/2013

Someone said that Christie has crime connections. Anyone know about that?

by Anonymousreply 4211/10/2013

[quote]I'm fascinated by how supportive gays are of Hilary. What's the gay/PUMA connection?

Trollin', trollin', trollin'...

by Anonymousreply 4311/10/2013

R15, sure he would've. Don't worship Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 4411/10/2013

r36, Mary Pat was probably laughing at the screamed at teacher because that's what she does when Christie is screaming in her face when she gets outta line. She an abuse victim and that's how she copes.

by Anonymousreply 4511/10/2013

He wouldn't support a pathway to citizenship this morning:

STEPHANOPOULOS: A path to citizenship relief on in-state college tuition?

CHRISTIE: It has to be figured out by those in charge of the national government. My job is to fix what’s going on in New Jersey. I will tell you this, George, we won’t be able to fix everything in New Jersey until the national leaders set a national immigration policy….

STEPHANOPOULOS: Including a path to citizenship?

CHRISTIE: George, I don’t get to make those determinations. It’s 2013, i just got elected the governor of New Jersey again. I have already said what I believe. It’s a broken system and it needs to be fixed. Let’s get to work doing it.

by Anonymousreply 4611/10/2013

R41 - Both are ideological conservatives, but will work with Democrats to get the job done.

Reagan cut many deals with Tip O'Neil. He also worked out the 1986 tax bill with Dan Rostenkowski. Christie has worked with Dems in the NJ legislature. He also toured NJ with Obama after Sandy.

by Anonymousreply 4711/10/2013

How many times a day do you think he shits?

by Anonymousreply 4811/10/2013

[quote]What's the gay/PUMA connection?

Trollina, there is no such thing as a PUMA. It was a Republican meme put out there in an attempt to split the Democratic Party. It failed then, it will fail now.

Begone, before somebody drops a house on you.

by Anonymousreply 4911/10/2013

[quote]Besides, his wife looks like a man

What's wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 5011/10/2013

[quote] Christie: I’m ready to be president because I’d do ‘exactly what Ronald Reagan would have done’

Good, then do what reagan did and die

by Anonymousreply 5111/10/2013

[quote]Reagan cut many deals with Tip O'Neil. He also worked out the 1986 tax bill with Dan Rostenkowski. Christie has worked with Dems in the NJ legislature. He also toured NJ with Obama after Sandy.

Christie has no choice. It's a blue state.

by Anonymousreply 5211/10/2013

Doesn't matter. It shows that Christie is a pragmatic leader. I don't like him, but I recognize his talents.

by Anonymousreply 5311/10/2013

His talents for getting elected in a blue state are not going to help him in 2016. It is his own party that's going to rip him to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 5411/10/2013

R54 - Maybe. Christie will face a crowded field, with all of the others being true believers of one shade or another. He could win. Romney did.

by Anonymousreply 5511/10/2013

White straight guys will love him. He would easily carry the deep South states if he made it to the general, and some of the midwestern states as well. He'd run well in Ohio.

He would be a strong candidate against HRC. It's debatable whether or not the GOP will choose to go with him or someone less centrist. I'm sure HRC would rather run against Cruz or someone else on the far, far right. It's debatable.

He scares me more than any other GOP candidates. Of course, I felt that way about Rick Perry for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 5611/10/2013

Christie won half the Latino vote in NJ this time around. That scares me.

by Anonymousreply 5711/10/2013

Romney was a piece of driftwood. Christie is a ticking timebomb of no self-control.

by Anonymousreply 5811/10/2013

What IS his wife's deal?

by Anonymousreply 5911/11/2013

Nap and let Howard Baker fix all his fuck ups? Because that is all Reagan did.

I am pretty sure Howard is too old to consider the job at this point though.

by Anonymousreply 6011/11/2013

Ronald Reagan had a presidential fitness challenge for elementary kids.

I got a certificate.

CC will never be RR.

And who the hell would want another Raygun anyway???

Sad that he can't blaze his own trail.

by Anonymousreply 6111/11/2013

United States Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius won her Kansas gubernatorial election, in 2002, by over 7 points and re-elected, in 2006, by over 17 points. Sebelius was twice elected to govern a highly red state; and she did so, as a Democrat, by margins averaged out quite comparably to that of Republican Chris Christie, and his two gubernatorial victories (by nearly 4 points in 2009; by 22 points in 2013), in blue New Jersey.

What does this tell us?

by Anonymousreply 6211/11/2013

So basically he's saying he'll fall asleep at Cabinet meetings, lie, engage in illegal activity to fund his war against communism, ignore the suffering of the six, try to get rid of environmental protection, and fuck up the tax code so that the rich get richer.

Sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 6311/11/2013

Christie will go down in flames.

by Anonymousreply 6411/11/2013

More info on his crazy wife please.

by Anonymousreply 6511/11/2013

Christie's not very good at his jobs and he has no balls when it comes to talking about what he REALLY stands for.

by Anonymousreply 6611/11/2013

Christie may be a similar "pragmatic conservation" to Reagan but seems more Nixonian in temperament. Explosive rages (Nixon used Kissinger as a punching bag) and paranoia. And a lot of illegal activity. Romney's vetting team was shocked by his background.

[quote]The vetters were stunned by the garish controversies lurking in the shadows of his record. There was a 2010 Department of Justice inspector general’s investigation of Christie’s spending patterns in his job prior to the governorship, which criticized him for being “the U.S. attorney who most often exceeded the government [travel expense] rate without adequate justification” and for offering “insufficient, inaccurate, or no justification” for stays at swank hotels like the Four Seasons. There was the fact that Christie worked as a lobbyist on behalf of the Securities Industry Association at a time when Bernie Madoff was a senior SIA official—and sought an exemption from New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act. There was Christie’s decision to steer hefty government contracts to donors and political allies like former Attorney General John Ashcroft, which sparked a congressional hearing. There was a defamation lawsuit brought against Christie arising out of his successful 1994 run to oust an incumbent in a local Garden State race. Then there was Todd Christie, the Governor’s brother, who in 2008 agreed to a settlement of civil charges by the Securities and Exchange Commission in which he acknowledged making “hundreds of trades in which customers had been systematically overcharged.” (Todd also oversaw a family foundation whose activities and purpose raised eyebrows among the vetters.) And all that was on top of a litany of glaring matters that sparked concern on Myers’ team: Christie’s other lobbying clients, his investments overseas, the YouTube clips that helped make him a star but might call into doubt his presidential temperament, and the status of his health.

by Anonymousreply 6711/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!