Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Update: Tom Cruise did not compare movies to war

On Saturday, Tom Cruise's lawyer Bert Fields released the following statement:

"Tom Cruise has resisted suing the tabloids for years but has always drawn the line when it comes to lies about his family - which is solely what the current legal case is about. Headlines stating he equated his job with those in the military are demonstrably false. They are a distortion of what is provable and on the record. Certain websites have published only a part of the proceedings misleadingly selected by the defendant Bauer Publishing.

What the excerpts leave out is the part where Tom was asked the question point blank 'do you believe the situations (being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan) are the same? and his immediate response was 'oh come on!' Meaning - of course not. Tom is a staunch supporter of our troops and does not feel that making a movie is even remotely comparable to fighting in Afghanistan and said so in plain English."

This was in response to a story published by TMZ.com that Cruise, who sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed the actor abandoned daughter Suri, equated making movies to serving in Afghanistan. His statements were taken out of context.

When asked whether being separated from his daughter while shooting movies was comparable to a service-member serving in Afghanistan, Cruise said, in the written deposition: "Oh come on. You know, we're making a movie."

by Anonymousreply 2511/10/2013

"Update: Tom Cruise did not compare movies to war."

His movies however are becoming just like war: All the bad skirmishes have led to bombing.

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2013

[quote] What the excerpts leave out is the part where Tom was asked the question point blank 'do you believe the situations (being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan) are the same? and his immediate response was 'oh come on!' Meaning - of course not

That isn't true. Here is a transcript of the deposition. He talks about Afghanistan at the bottom of page 173. Tom didn't actually start this, his lawyer did, but Tom was happy to admit he thought it was felt like it (it, being Afghanistan)

attorney: now your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan. Are you aware of that?

Tom: I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2013

Well I'm sure he's had enough surgery for a war....

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2013

If that's accurate, R2, then the subject was concerning lengthy absences from family.

Even so, a year or two in Afganistan is still not comparable to 3 - 6 months or even a year filming on location when your family is free to join you if you want and you're being put up in the best accomodation available.

It's still a stupid question.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2013

Why oh why are we still discussing this [bold]FREAK[/bold]???

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2013

It makes you wonder how he perceives the criticism of his actions and beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2013

Is there a place to see the entire transcript of his deposition?

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2013

R6 - it does show how controlling of his image he is. As if THIS is what's going to make him look bad.

He's fucking insane and needs to take a long look at himself in the mirror instead of needing to be right all the time.

How many years does he have to go through these situations before he says - you know what? Maybe it IS me.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2013

If you say something in a legal deposition you can't just blow it off the way you might if it was some offhand comment you made during an interview. It may be unfair to expect gravitas from a guy who's just a dumb actor, but a significant portion of Tom's reputation is based on his roles as military men (Top Gun, A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July) so you would expect him to be able to at least FAKE a little sensitivity when it comes to the realities of war. It's just further evidence of how far his head is up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2013

Maybe he meant that watching his movies was like living through a war

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2013

Obviously auditing does NOT work! This queen is loaded with body thetans!

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2013

Well, at least when he was dumb enough to fire Pat Kingsley, he wasn't quite dumb enough to fire Fields too.

That guy is a cross between a bulldog and a hit man, and if the Scienos aren't scary enough to make you think twice about taking on Cruise, Fields will up the ante. He's loathsome, but evidently effective.

I guess that characterizes him as a good lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2013

The producers of his next film, that military exoskelton infomercial crap formerly known as "All You Need Is Kill" are probably freaking out right about now...

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2013

Fields is 84 years old. I was ready to retire at 50 but this old badger has a lot of fight left in him. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2013

Well, r14, you probably don't enjoy harassing others as much as Fields does.

I suspect it's his only joy in life, and he won't give it up until he's too demented to file a brief.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2013

R7, the transcripts are here. And he addresses the issue of Afghanistan on the bottom of page 173 (they are short pages)

And R4, it may be a stupid question, but TOM'S OWN LAWYERS are the people who told the world his job was like being in Afghanistan. So when you are in a lawsuit and the other side's lawyer says something stupid (like Tom's lawyers did), you would be very smart to ask questions about that

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2013

[quote]it was brutal. It was brutal

I've noticed that he will repeat his last words twice when speaking. "she's amazing, an amazing woman" and such. Is there some purpose to it or is he just an idiot?

by Anonymousreply 1711/10/2013

As usual this stuff gets misreported and misinterpreted. Cruise or his lawyers didn't say shooting a movie was like fighting in Afghanistan. They meant that when Cruise is shooting a movie, it's like being posted overseas -- you can't just come home any time you feel like it. And nobody accuses a soldier at war of "abandoning his family" because he hasn't seen them for a year.

It's funny to me that these tabloids can write a hundred stories about how crazy and evil Tom Cruise is, and then complain that he isn't spending enough time with his daughter. Didn't they want Kati and Suri to escape from Tom?

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2013

[quote][R7], the transcripts are here. And he addresses the issue of Afghanistan on the bottom of page 173 (they are short pages)[/quote] None of these transcripts are complete. The next page (i.e. page 174) after the "Afghanistan" comparison is not there.

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2013

If you are Tammy you can indeed come back from shooting a movie or have the kid flown out to you unless he's not allowed unsupervised visitation which is what I think is going on.

by Anonymousreply 2011/10/2013

It's not like he couldn't see her at all but it is probably not as easy to find the time as people think, especially when he has unamicably split from the girl's mother.

by Anonymousreply 2111/10/2013

I mean, it is obviously an ill-judged metaphor to use but people aren't able to really look at what he is saying, they just jump to conclusions.

by Anonymousreply 2211/10/2013

Clam alert!

by Anonymousreply 2411/10/2013

And yet, R18, Cruise could fly back to attend Scientology events but not take the time to see his kid.

Also, you're ignoring the parts of the transcript where Cruise compares himself to an Olympic athlete because of how physical he is and also how his job is as intense as a soldier's.

He's going to have a difficult time living this one down.

by Anonymousreply 2511/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.