Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Shaving

If you shave with blades and shaving cream, do you draw a pool water in the sink and use that, or do you turn the water on for a second or two each time you need to rinse the blade? I do the latter, but in most movies and tv, especially older movies, it seems like they always draw a pool of water. That just looks gross and kind of self-defeating.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2013

The pool of water rinses the blades better.

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2013

My sink always gets clogged from the cream/stubble combo. What can I do? I tried drain cleaner, bleach, etc.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2013

How so, r1?

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2013

Use a tumbler/cup then dump the mess down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2013

Shave in the shower...life is much easier that way.

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2013

Thanks R4!

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2013

Shave in the shower - you won't even need shaving cream, soap will get you just as close a shave.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2013

R6, in older movies before advances in sound recording and post production, running water would have interfered with dialog, and would have been plain annoying to viewers.

Remember, even as late as 1971/72, they had to redo the opening scene of The Godfather because Don Corleone's kitten was purring so loudly, you couldn't hear the actors.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2013

Try a big pot of boiling water. The trap's probably clogged by the wax component in some shaving creams, it builds up over time. I flush my bathroom sink monthly, and the drain runs smoothly and quickly.

I shave AFTER showering. My whiskers are soft, and my skin is hydrated, much less chance of razor burn that way. Try KISS MY FACE shaving cream, it's the best. I keep a sinkful of hot water to rinse my razor after every swipe. I used to shave IN the shower until my non-fogging shaving mirror broke. You say your bathroom mirror fogs up? Streak it with the edge of a bar of DRY soap, then buff the streaks until they disappear-fog be gone.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2013

r9, why on earth would you want to keep a sink full of water, when you can just turn the faucet on for a second or two each time?

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2013

r10 As r1 said, having the standing water to swish your razor in removes more of those damned little hairs that clog up the razor, especially the multi-bladed kinds.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2013

r12, running water does that in spades.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2013

What R7 says. I can't imagine shaving any other way. I don't even need a mirror.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2013

I tried the r7 method this morning for the first time. Like r14 said, I didn't even use a mirror - which only meant I had to do some fine tuning on the sideburns once I got out.

The shave turned out fine. However standing in the shower to shave is obviously the least efficient use of water out of all the methods mentioned here.

Another note - hair conditioner works pretty well as a creamy shaving cream. And when I have used conditioner for the shave, I've never needed to apply an aftershave for moisturizing.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2013

OP, I use the "pool of water" method (a small pool, that is - no need to fill the sink to the brim). I've tried cleaning a razor the other way, by placing it under running water, but it simply doesn't clean away the gunk like a swish in the water does. I use a four-blade razor, which might also be part of the problem. Finally, I don't find it "gross" to stick my blade into a bowl of water with some shaving gel and whiskers floating around; it's not like I'm "spreading germs" or anything by doing so, and it certainly does the trick of cleaning gel and whiskers off the razor.

Btw I don't shave in the shower for two reasons: I have sensitive skin, so I need a specific gel, not soap, and it wastes quite a bit more water than the pint or so I use when shaving in front of the sink. I do, however, always shave immediately after showering, while my whiskers are still soft and my pores are still open from the shower steam. (I really have no other choice unless I want a face full of knicks; shaving without showering first always does that to me.)

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2013

[quote]do you draw a pool water in the sink

If there is a more homosexual way of phrasing this, I don't know what it is.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2013

Unless you clean and disinfect the sink with bleach before you fill it I wouldn't advise the pool of water method. Sinks are loaded with bacteria.

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2013

[quote]Sinks are loaded with bacteria.

Honey, every surface in your house is "loaded with bacteria." Get over it. We're talking about shaving one's *face*, not doing dishes one will eat off of. Nobody has ever died of infection via sink-laden germs after shaving and getting said "germs" into a small razor nick.

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2013

Suit yourself R19. I just prefer not to not spread the bacteria I sloughed off my hands after taking a shit onto my face.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2013

[quote]Nobody has ever died of infection via sink-laden germs after shaving and getting said "germs" into a small razor nick.

Not from a sink but an ex-boss told me of a friend of hers who was on the floor doing yoga right after shaving and he contracted MERSA and died.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.