Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do Brits and Europeans listen to our country music?

The CMA awards thread got me curious about this. Do they listen to our mainstream country shit? I'd be surprised but also sort of interested as to why.

by Anonymousreply 8001/03/2015

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2013

Not really. It's mainly an American thing.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2013

They don't listen to today's country music, no. But there are country stars from the past that are immensely popular over there. Johnny Cash springs to mind.

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2013

A friend of mine in Germany sends me music sometimes that he thinks I'll like.

Just last week he sent me some Lady Antebellum and I was kind of surprised that he was even familiar with them because they are country. But they aren't traditional country music and have had big pop crossover success, so they might be an exception to the general rule.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2013

Do they listen to my stuff?

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2013

Old timey American music has its roots in Scotts-Irish folk, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2013

Bluegrass and Irish music is hard to tell apart. You hear a LOT of bluegrass artists in Irish pubs to this day.

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2013

I'm from South Asia, and believe it or not, some people even there listen to our country music--ahhhhh.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2013

I once knew a German guy years ago who was a big fan of Dolly Parton.

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2013

There are quite a few popular Irish country singers like Philomena Begley. There was a nice BBC special several years ago where British and American folk/country singers played and sang together, featuring people like Emmylou Harris.

Merle Haggard played Wembley in 1988, so somebody over there listens to American country. Here he and Tammy Wynette sing "Today I Started Loving You Again":

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2013

Country music just SOUNDS better in America, especially when driving. It's not quite the same when you're speeding down the two-lane Dutch motorways (you can't really call them "highways".)

I wonder if any of the major US country performers even bother touring in Europe?

"Alt country" artists like Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown, Wilco, and The Decembrists have a minor following here.

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2013

[quote]I wonder if any of the major US country performers even bother touring in Europe?

When they do tour Europe, they usually play little theatres, not arenas or stadiums. The only country artist I know of who was really successful in Europe and played arenas is Shania Twain, but that's probably because 1) Her music has a pop sound and 2) She lives in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2013

For fucks sake, Jim Reeves and Hank Williams were huge in the UK. Elvis Costello is sangin' country when he's not faping with the Kronos Kwartet.

Roots of country are Scots-Irish. Melanie Griffith lives in Ireland, and they love yhat fat fuck Steve Earle.

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2013

Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Garth Brooks (obviously not recently), Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum, The Band Perry, and plenty more of the biggest country names have all had European stints on some concert tours.

There is an audience for every genre of music in every country around the globe.

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2013

Do Lone Justice count? I used to like them but have never heard of Steve Earle or Jim Reeves.

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2013

"Before he cheats" did quite well over here in the UK. And that Lady Antebellum song's never off the radio. Country's not really our cup of tea beyond the odd crossover though

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2013

R14 Again, most of them play little theaters when they tour Europe and the ones who actually play arenas have more of a pop sound (Taylor Swift, Keith Urban).

Overall, it's not a very popular genre in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 1711/09/2013

The folkier country acts seems to do ok in Ireland. And the poppier ones -- Taylor Swift, Lady A, etc al -- do well everywhere because it takes very little modification of their sound to make them less country, and better-able to be played on the pop stations.

by Anonymousreply 1811/09/2013

R15 Ask your mum

by Anonymousreply 1911/09/2013

If only more country sounded like this:

by Anonymousreply 2011/09/2013

When I moved to Ireland, the first shop I walked into was playing Tammy Wynette. And I read this at a site I frequent:

"American country music is very popular in Ireland and Australia. They have their own brands but it is influenced by American country."

by Anonymousreply 2111/09/2013

R13, that's people are saying up thread, the classic country stuff is popular. Everybody has heard of the likes of Hank Williams. Johnny Cash is held in very high regard. However virtually nobody would have heard of Carrie Underwood or Keith Urban.

Generally speaking, the more classic country and folkier it is, the more Europeans will like it. The modern, commercial stuff has a very narrow market here (it's not considered proper country, it's probably in the pop market).

by Anonymousreply 2211/09/2013

There's a Country Music Festival in Tamworth, Australia:

Tamworth is located in North West NSW, at the junction of the New England and Oxley Highways, an easy five hour drive from Sydney and six from Brisbane.

by Anonymousreply 2311/09/2013

Several years ago when we went to Ireland we stayed in a hotel that had a banquet hall. They were having some sort of benefit and from the lobby you could hear the music ... country. I was really surprised to hear it there.

by Anonymousreply 2411/09/2013

Not really. We know very few country music artists over here. The only names that spring to mind are Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton, and perhaps Hank Williams, but I don't know if he's dead and I don't know what he sings. Then, there's Emmylou Harris and also Tammy Wynette, which I'm willing to bet most people don't know. Patsy Cline perhaps. Linda Rondstadt, if that's country music. Kris Kristofferson, only know him as an actor, don't know what he sings.

There's a Scottish band that is fairly successful in several European countries called Texas. Some of their songs have more than an echo of country music. I like them very much. It occurs to me that perhaps we like our European version of country music.

And, of course, Johnny Cash is very much admired. But he crosses beyond country.

by Anonymousreply 2511/09/2013

Ooooh and I looooove that song by I don't know who "Looking out my backyard" that the Dude plays in his car when he gets it back. Creedance revival? Super song.

by Anonymousreply 2611/09/2013

It cost 90 euro to see Willie Nelson in a prestigious (but not huge) venue in Paris a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2711/09/2013

It's a curiosity, like your cultural illiteracy, insane politicians, and obsession with guns. As a music subculture, it falls somewhere between Peruvian pan-flutes and Ukrainian balalaikas.

by Anonymousreply 2811/09/2013

Folk music, on the other hand, is becoming more and more popular here in Europe. Especially among the beard-wearing crowd (don't know if they're hipsters exactly. Probably)

Country music being more popular in countries like Ireland sounds about right. Their own music is indeed similar to country music.

And ABBA, which are still HUGE in Europe when you look at the time they last put out a record, played a kind of music that has very similar roots to country music.

Seems to me music that is very popular has country/folklore roots with a pop/dance beat.

by Anonymousreply 2911/09/2013

R26, that's funny. My very wealthy, Oxford educated London friend moved to NYC for a couple of years. He emailed recently to say he's gone crazy for CCR. How he discovered them while in NYC from London I have no idea, but he just thinks they are awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3011/09/2013

There was an actress I found very funny in a Liv Tyler movie called One Night at McCool's (terrible title). She plays the therapist. Turns out she's a country singer and her name is Reba McEntire.

by Anonymousreply 3111/09/2013

Charley Pride!

by Anonymousreply 3211/09/2013

When I was in Alice Springs NT 15 years ago, American country music was wailing out the doors of a popular watering hole.

Odd that I remember that as I have never been a fan.

by Anonymousreply 3311/09/2013

R28 Yeah, it's inconsequential. Nothing like European achievements: The Great War, Bolshevism, Fascism, the Final Solution, WWII...

by Anonymousreply 3411/09/2013

Besides Dolly Parton (because of her movie career) and Mindy McCready (because of Celebrity Rehab - may she rest in peace), I know none of the names that have been named in this thread. But I like country music in American road-trip movies, because it really brings out the local atmosphere of those southern and middle west states.

by Anonymousreply 3511/09/2013

Leann Rimes had a couple of hits, but they were essentially pop like this one "Can't Catch the Moonlight" from the movie "Coyote Ugly".

by Anonymousreply 3611/09/2013

Like R35, I think we enjoy country music - that scene in Thelma and Louise where they square dance! Very nice. Of course the director had to be British - but most of the time we don't know the names.

Most of the country music names I know I looked for at a time or another, and made an effort to remember because I liked a song or other. Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash are the only names most people know, at least in France, I'm pretty sure. Perhaps it's different in Britain where music and especially rock music is much more of an institution and even almost a religion.

by Anonymousreply 3711/09/2013

Dixie chicks were in the UK when they made the infamous statement about GWB

by Anonymousreply 3811/09/2013

I've seen line dancing contests in Germany

by Anonymousreply 3911/09/2013

Yes R20 Lucinda Williams is really good but don't ever watch her in concert, it takes a long time to get that image out of your mind. She has absolutely no body rhythm, she stands still with her elbows bent and glued to her waist then she just waves her forearms back and forth. It's so clumsy looking you just want someone to hand her a guitar and order her to play it. A friend warned me but I wouldn't listen. I have all of her music and she sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 4011/09/2013

Wasn't Jolene from The Archers a C&W singer?

by Anonymousreply 4111/09/2013

R38 And that was at Shepherd's Bush Empire theatre. As I've said several times now, most country acts that tour Europe have such a small following that they can only fill theatres, not arenas or stadiums.

by Anonymousreply 4211/09/2013

I'm French so I can confirm what R37 just said! Just off the top of my head, I would mention Dumb and Dumber (STFU!), Road-Trip (ditto!), Brokeback Mountain and Transamerica...

by Anonymousreply 4311/09/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4411/09/2013

Last week I was in Germany and they had billboards in the U-Bahn to say that The Big Lebowski was going to show on TV next Monday at 8pm.

I have no idea how popular the movie is in America, but here for a number of people it is what we call CULTE.

There are a number of Big Lebowksi Tests on ok cupid, the one at the link's my favourite.

And sorry for derailing the thread a tad.

by Anonymousreply 4511/09/2013

I've seen her many times, R20, and I thought every performance was amazing. She's not choreographed, if that's what you mean.

by Anonymousreply 4611/09/2013

Gillian Welch!

by Anonymousreply 4711/09/2013

In Germany, country bars exist in the larger cities where one can learn line dancing, etc. While I can't recall ever hearing "new country" anywhere, the classic artists (Johnny, Dolly, etc.) are well known and appreciated. There's also a huge rockabilly subculture and some alt-country-listening hipsters. But for the most part, Schlager is the music of the proles - Germany's equivalent of our rednecks and flyover folk.

by Anonymousreply 4811/09/2013

The late Billie Jo Spears ("Blanket on the Ground") had a big UK following and toured with Philomena Begley before she died.

by Anonymousreply 4911/09/2013

Ronan Keating (Irish) is always covering American country hits. Link is to one of them.

Gary Barlow and Cheryl Cole performed "that Lady Antebellum song" for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

by Anonymousreply 5011/09/2013

Country & Western is not mainstream in the UK. I struggle to think of a UK C&W artist although I guess there must be one. The odd crossover song hits our charts occasionally but I don't think it will ever really catch on here to any great degree.

by Anonymousreply 5111/09/2013

Daniel O'Donnell!

by Anonymousreply 5211/09/2013

The woman at R20 sounds similar to Courtney Love.

by Anonymousreply 5311/09/2013

I do.

R40, Lucinda Williams has spina bifida, that's why she doesn't move so well. See, some of us Brits and Europeans (I am British and a European, is that ok?) know even more about country music than you Americans.

I also had to explain to some PC feminist American friend of mine who Emmylou Harris is. I was very surprised she'd never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 5411/09/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5511/09/2013

Ach, Schlager. Basically, Schlager works everywhere, it just has different flavors varying on the country.

Actually, I've just remembered country music and line dance are popular among working/middle-class people over 50 in France. They go to clubs once a week, learn the dance, dress in checkered shirts, jeans, boots and cowboy hats.

Also, I meant line dancing, not square dancing, earlier.

by Anonymousreply 5611/09/2013

There are two Americas for Europeans I believe: the coast and the "road 66". Everything that is Grand Canyon, everything that still evokes the West. And only these two have a cultural identity here in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 5711/09/2013

R57, ironic you think we Europeans have simplistic views of the US when the post immediately below yours displays such an imbecilic American view of parts of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 5911/09/2013

R59, I am European. I was just offering a hypothesis, as a reply to R55 who said Europeans were only attracted to sophisticated Americans from either coast (although I wouldn't call the West coast sophisticated, just decadent and swimming in money).

My point was the Western is still a myth that has some power in Europe when it comes to America. And country music is part of that myth.

Depending on how well-travelled people are, they may or may not be interested in other parts of the United States, but for most people it's NY-LA and cowboys. Then you can add Las Vegas and I don't know what else, but these are the powerful images that come to mind at least among most people - not those who are well-travelled.

Have you had very different experiences? Perhaps from Europeans who have travelled to the US extensively?

I was talking about people who have not been to the US.

by Anonymousreply 6011/09/2013

R60 Only in the US red states have I ever been warned to keep my liberal political views to myself.

As I like to question and debate everything, especially politics, I find myself visiting only the places where I feel comfortable doing this. East Coast is my area of choice for US trips these days.

by Anonymousreply 6111/09/2013

There must be a market for classic country in Britain at least because the Time Life country music 6 cd sets are advertised on late night shopping channels at the arse end of the listings. It's hypnotic, Kenny Rogers with his current Halloween mask face introducing video of himself when he looked human. I know that Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Charlie Pride etc., all the old-time classic singers, are popular among older people. Not a huge segment of the market but enough that the names are known.

by Anonymousreply 6211/09/2013

[quote] (although I wouldn't call the West coast sophisticated, just decadent and swimming in money).

Seeing how you typified the west coast as, basically, Los Angeles, you don't even know your coasts very well.

by Anonymousreply 6311/09/2013

Why would I know the coasts very well? Besides I'm just talking about the images we have here. I'm not saying that's the way the country really is.

I thought this thread was about country music and how well-known and appreciated it is in Europe. No need to derail it and make it about knowledge of America, which is not a requirement when you live in Europe. Do you even speak a language that is not your own? Do you realise that most of the time, Europeans contributing to a thread are not writing in their primary language? Would you be able to make that same effort in their own language? Probably not. Do you even know Europe that well? Probably not that well either. Who cares?

This thread was originally about a pleasant subject, music, and you choose to derail it. Sad, really.

by Anonymousreply 6411/09/2013

Brit R54 and R59, the British usually have a much deeper knowledge of America (and music, especially rock music) than the rest of Europe. The extent to which (rock) music is idolized, scrutinized, looking for every trivia, in England I have never seen anywhere else. There are whole radio shows devoted to how this or that song was composed and who played the guitar and who produced it... Unless they are musicians themselves, I doubt anyone in France takes that sort of passionate interest in music (except perhaps classical music, but that's different and more of a class thing).

But then perhaps in Britain everyone is in a band at some moment or other. Not the case here.

by Anonymousreply 6511/09/2013

They listen especially to Nicole's Aussie husband.

by Anonymousreply 6611/09/2013

No. What are CMA's?

by Anonymousreply 6811/09/2013

R60, I was contrasting your reasonable statement with the idiot that came after you.

by Anonymousreply 6911/09/2013

r66 Isn't Nicole's Aussie husband a New Zealander?

by Anonymousreply 7011/09/2013

Apologies, R69.

by Anonymousreply 7111/09/2013

You attempted to claim knowledge that you do not have, R64. Simple as that.

[quote]Do you even speak a language that is not your own? Do you realise that most of the time, Europeans contributing to a thread are not writing in their primary language? Would you be able to make that same effort in their own language? Probably not. Do you even know Europe that well? Probably not that well either. Who cares?

No tuve ninguna puta idea que la gente Europea estan usando Ingles como su segundo (tercero, etc) idioma en DL. Como he podido llegar hasta mi edad sin saberlo? Explica como trabaja eso.

Y si, he viajado por Europa, como la mayoria de mi familia viven alli. Satisfecho?

A quien lo importa? Me parece que a ti, hablador de tantos idiomas!

by Anonymousreply 7211/09/2013

R72, do your European relatives listen to country music?

by Anonymousreply 7311/09/2013

No. I've never heard them mention it. And I haven't heard it played while there. Probably because I never really went anywhere it might be played.

by Anonymousreply 7411/09/2013

I like some of the more traditional country music. They have great musicians and songwriters. I also think in country music it is a must for singers to learn the craft of being an instrumentalist and a singer, that's not the case in todays pop music or rap music. I 100 times rather go to a Dolly Parton concert esp if she brings along Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris than go see JayZ or Rhianna. A lot of today's pop music is painfully inane

by Anonymousreply 7511/10/2013

This is from quite a while ago. Colin Farrell shimmying his ass as a line dancer in Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 7611/11/2013

I love Caitlin Rose and have seen her play in manchester UK with my (then) 16 year old daughter who happens to LOVE Country music and even writes it herself. I grew up listening to Glen Campbell, Jim Reeves, John Denver amongst others and my husband grew up to Tammy Wynette, Dolly Parton and many more Country artists, as his mother was a huge fan.

by Anonymousreply 7701/03/2015

They all say no, but somehow they've all heard this one.

by Anonymousreply 7801/03/2015

all my gay friends in Italy LOVE Dolly Parton

by Anonymousreply 7901/03/2015

Agree with R48. I recall watching a report (PBS?) about the country music fandom in Germany. It's something of a sub culture there.

by Anonymousreply 8001/03/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!