Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Daycare costs more than college

Can the government sign a bill that prohibits this so our daycare is more affordable? No one should have to spend this much on child care.

by Anonymousreply 2511/09/2013

In most parts of Canada it can cost double the tuition of private school, usually around $25,000 per year, per kid.

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2013

Sorry, that's for two kids, not one. Easily $1200 per month though for one child.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2013

Don't have kids if you can't afford daycare

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2013

[quote]Daycare costs more than college

If I ever have kids, they'll have to choose.

It's either daycare or college.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2013

Yet I'm always hearing about how we will not pay daycare workers a decent salary. How can it cost that much if daycare workers are so poorly paid?

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2013

I really don't care.

Perhaps parents should consider raising their own children instead of shifting that responsibility to child care facilities?

A revolutionary idea, I know.

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2013

Overhead R5.

R6 and R3 take turns licking Sarah Palin's clit.

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2013

They also pay for daycare once the child starts attending school.

If you start work at 8 and have to drop your kid by 7, there's an hour window before he/she is allowed into school and then a few hours between the end of the school day and when you can pick him/her up.

It's the same for senior daycare. It's a high priced low wage profit mill for business owners. When I looked into senior daycare, it was $36,000 per year for seniors with dementia. Any job I took had to meet that price plus transportation and taxes just to break even.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2013

I honestly don't know how people can afford children with the high cost of daycare. Someone at work has 3 kids under 5 and I believe they pay $2500 a month, which is cheap. And they have STRICT rules about pickup - you can't be late ever.

My cousin in Sweden just went back to work after his 9 month PATERNAL paid leave - this is after his wife was off for 6 months maternal paid leave.

I think they pay $200 a month for childcare. Here's an article. The Scandinavian countries really foster an environment for raising children - it's like nothing I've ever seen. Of course they pay around 55% of salary in taxes, but who cares?

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2013

Our mission is to be a storage unit that provides adult daycare.

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2013

R6 it takes a village. You've already met the idiot at R7.

Why should R1 be responsible for her/his children? We owe him/her. The government should set wages and prices. What could possobly go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2013

This is one of the reasons why so many parents want their kids labeled "learning disabled" or "autistism spectrum disorder." Free preschool. It's considered "therapeutic management."

I'm sure you have to pay a shitload of insurance to run a preschool or a day care for dementia patients. People will sue your ass off for a bump on the head or a bruise on the arm.

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2013

So now it's a cult to suggest parents take care of their kids?

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2013

R11 if you want to make a point, try not resorting to utter stupidity as "facts"

"Why should [R1] be responsible for her/his children? We owe him/her" is mouthbreathing freeper distortion.

Don't be so fucking dumb.

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2013

Have you considered a kibbutz, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2013

R9 here - below are the Swedish benefits. You do get a monthly amount from the gvt just for having a child - which could almost completely pay for childcare until they're 5.

Both parents entitled to combined total of 16 months paid leave per child

First 13 months paid at 80% of the parent-on-leave's most recent income, up to ceiling of approximately SEK 440,000 ($68,500, £45,900), rest is paid at flat rate of SEK 180 (SEK $28, £19) per day

Public childcare guaranteed to all parents with most facilities open between 0630 and 1830, with fees capped at 3% of parental income, up to SEK 1260 ($197, £132) a month for first child

Free pre-school for children between three and six, for up to 15 hours per week

All parents entitled to monthly benefit of SEK 1,050 ($163, £109) per child with supplements for large families

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2013

Reads R16..."DaMarcus! Lakeesha! Quvenzahahaneneenee! Steadman! Da'Ntreviou$! Eagle Eye! Neneh!Get your brothers and sisters and the gran'babies ready - we're movin' to IKEA"!

by Anonymousreply 1711/09/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1811/09/2013

Gee, r17--wouldn't DaMarcus' mother be on welfare, thus not needing daycare? Or would she just be stealing yo' tax dollars wif some lucrative daycare fraud?

by Anonymousreply 1911/09/2013

R17, why not Billy Bob, Jolene, Caitlyn and Lurleen? Welfare recipients come in all colors and you went straight for the stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 2011/09/2013

hence why its better to

a. leave in the projects

b. have a shitload of kids

c. work in burger king and get all the benefits

by Anonymousreply 2111/09/2013

a ton of asians get benefits too

so why now mae chung, hoi lynn, kekong and dachoy?

by Anonymousreply 2211/09/2013

Canada has taken a right-wing Libertarian approach to Daycare.

Canada believes that parents are best to decide what childcare options suits them.

So every child gets $100 monthly $100, until the child turns six. That monthly benefit goes directly to the parent.

Canada believes government has no place in the lives of daycare or childcare.

Every family is different, and a one-size-fits-all model of institutionalized daycare does not provide support to the majority of Canadian parents.

by Anonymousreply 2311/09/2013

"Cuatemoc!" "Guadalupe!" "Mei Ling!" "Pax!" "Zahara!" "Britnee!" "Mohammed!" "Mohammed!" "Mohammed!" "Devorah!" "!Xosi!" "Jawarhalal!" "Tawnee Skyfeather!" " Two Dogs Fucking!" "Simon!" "Tristan!" "Ødwallä!" " Bitch with Dragon Tattoo!" "Lena!" "Wilmer!" "Oksana!"

by Anonymousreply 2411/09/2013

Why would anyone expect full time daycare to charge less than a public university?

Public universities get money from the state up front to defray tuition and fees. As as result they charge less.

The model in daycare is to give aid to individuals to defray some or all of the cost. Funds are provided on a case by case basis - not to bring prices down for everyone.

It's a bogus comparison.

by Anonymousreply 2511/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.