Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did/do a lot of people here think they're going to be famous &/or have a genuine fantasy that they would/ will?

(Someone started a thread about this, but it was worded I hope that OP doesn't feel I'm treading on his toes).

To answer my own question...yes, absolutely I thought I would.

I thought I was a VERY entertaining person who'd make it as an actor or a writer or film maker or all three. I felt it was absolutely my destiny.

I wasn't very into the idea of fame, though this was before the 'celeb era'- when you could be a successful entertainer and lead a private-ish life. But I thought I'd be very successful and fame would be a part of it..and no, this absolutely DID NOT happen.

I'm wondering how many of us here also had this 'fantasy' or still do, even.

by Anonymousreply 4911/09/2013

I thought about it off and on as a flight of fancy, but I didn't genuinely think it would happen. And it hasn't ... yet.

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2013

I think I'll have my fifteen minutes on the pages of local a magazine when they find my mummified corpse stuck in this chair in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2013

haters gonna hate

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2013

Not seriously, no ..... but I always said my dream job would be 'talk show host' ....but it's nothing I pursued seriously in any way.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2013

when i was a young lonely gay boy at 18 (omg it's 5 years ago...shit) i was convinced that i will be a rock star.i went to S&S tour and i knew that this is what I'll do for a living

i feel awkward looking back...

i think i was just lonely and wanted ppl to love me

i don't listen to music anymore :P

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2013

Not for me.

At least you tried. How many of us don't, for whatever reasons.

I don't envy the famous. I know they have access to everything. Honestly, I find most of them, boring. I feel more at ease among the "small" people; esp. "small" people with a lot of education. And they come from every corner of the planet. (Well, not North Korea). And I'm happier than ever.

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2013

I would hate to be famous. It would suck to have people staring at you, following you and taking pictures. It would be a horrible life that no amount of money could compensate.

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2013

Agree totally w r7. I like to be left alone. But I wouldn't mind having influence.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2013

It'd be nice to easily get a table in a fancy restaurant, have people light up when you walk into a room, and travel in style all over the world. And have people be proud to know you...and cool people want to know you.

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2013

When you're famous, it's as if nothing you earned really belongs "to you." There are so many intermediaries that get in your way, the handlers, the stylists, etc. that all need some cash.

I just prefer being rich and really good-looking.

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2013

You are an extrovert R9? Sometimes I think it would be cool to be stimulated by the situations I dread.

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2013

Ah! I see Glenn has paid her $18!

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2013

Go to acting school and those fantasies go away pretty quick.

Usually it is the people who have never worked at being an actor, writer, or film-maker who have these fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2013

As a child, I thought I would be famous. As a teenager, I realized that fame was fleeting, and didn't seem to make one a happy person. As an adult, I'm quite relieved that I'm not famous. I think that some famous people handle it well; mostly, famous people don't. The first time I encountered real fame was in NYC when I went with a bunch of friends to see Broadway plays, and sat next to a very famous actor watching a hysterical comedy, and he didn't crack so much as a smile throughout the play. I didn't say anything to him out of respect for his privacy, but I thought it was sad that he didn't enjoy the production.

Once, I sat next to a fairly famous actor on a flight from NY to LA, and we chatted for most of the flight without realizing he was who he was. Towards the end of the flight, one of the attendants came up and asked for an autograph, and I kidded him that she thought he was who he was, and I was really quite surprised when he said it was him. Awkward! But then again, I think he enjoyed that I hadn't recognized him and acted weird. And to think, if that FA hadn't approached him, I was going to see if he wanted to hang out... and was hoping it would lead to something more, based on our conversation. But his fame got in the way, which was, I think, more on me than him. And who's to say if it would have gone anywhere, because his public persona is certainly not gay... but I sure got a vibe until the autograph moment, and in retrospect, I wonder if fame has more impact on our perceptions or the famous person's behavior. But I do feel it was a missed opportunity. He was a genuinely nice guy.

If anyone famous is posting here, I'd be curious to get their take on this.

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2013

Dreaming about being famous? Famous for what? There used to be a time when people dreamed about doing things extra-ordinary, now everyone wants to be famous. Who cares if you aren't famous? If you contribute in some way to make some difference be it small or big... that's what matters.

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2013

[quote]The first time I encountered real fame was in NYC when I went with a bunch of friends to see Broadway plays, and sat next to a very famous actor watching a hysterical comedy, and he didn't crack so much as a smile throughout the play. I didn't say anything to him out of respect for his privacy, but I thought it was sad that he didn't enjoy the production.

What a meaningless, pointless story.

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2013

Yes, R16, because it demonstrated nothing about the actor in question.

Honestly, some people are so dense, it surprises me they remember to breathe.

by Anonymousreply 1711/09/2013

R14, the flight story was intriguing--why can't you just say who it was? It's not like anything happened.

by Anonymousreply 1811/09/2013

It's a pointless story. Maybe the guy just didn't think it was funny.

by Anonymousreply 1911/09/2013

When I lived in LA, I had quite a few friends who were "semi-names" you might recognize the name or face from something, but they were not household names. C or D level fame, co-stars in series, soap stars etc. They lived comfortable lives in nice neighborhoods, but not the mega mansion fantasies that they dreamed of. They were also all extreme narcissists. Could not wait to get recognized or give an autograph. The worst part of going out with them was when they were being recognized, and watching the whole "aw shucks" act they put on and of course they would forget that they were actually with somebody else.

They live in a weird kind of bubble dictated by being recognized. Eventually the only positives to going anywhere with them, would be better or immediate seating at an event or restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 2011/09/2013

I am friends with an Oscar/Emmy nominated director/writer. You would know him- his films and the actors/actresses who have won awards for his film are favorites, or at least talked about here.

He still lives under the radar, mostly, when he lives away from NYC/LA. I have seen waiters, etc. act a little weird around him, but he is just my friend, and, though he spent a day with Barbara, he is still just a nice guy, and does not go out of his way to bray on about Hollywood and fame.

Me? I always knew I would be famous after I died. Visual art is a crapshoot, and I wasn't a big enough whore to fuck my way to art fame when I was 20-30.

by Anonymousreply 2111/09/2013

[quote]The worst part of going out with them was when they were being recognized, and watching the whole "aw shucks" act they put on and of course they would forget that they were actually with somebody else.

On more than one occasion when I've noticed famous people out with their not famous friends is the not famous friends being annoyingly and overly protective of their famous friend.

'Please leave him alone!...He's not on duty!' kind of vibe, when all anyone's done is glance at them.

by Anonymousreply 2211/09/2013

Do high school kids still plan to be famous? When I was in high school, it seemed like half the kids I knew planned on being a little bit famous. A few planned to be models, there was a ballet dancer and a future stand-up comedian, many wanted to be musicians, etc. Nobody actively planned to be a movie star, but a couple were trying to do local theater and wanted to study acting in LA.

Of course nobody actually made it in showbiz, but even at that age the desire to avoid soul-killing corporate jobs was strong.

by Anonymousreply 2311/09/2013

I have a friend from Prauge, and he came to Boston to visit me. He is abnormally pretty, and when we walked into the local gay restaurant for dinner, the entire place stopped, including staff, to stare at him. He has no clue this is unusual.

He's not famous, but I imagine that is what it is like to be famious, and I wouldn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 2411/09/2013

Between the ages of ten and forty-five I tried my best to make it as a professional writer. I was ambitious and gave it my best shot but I could never make a living at it or find a niche where my work really caught on in a significant way. Now I think it was probably just as well as I'm not the sort of person who thrives in a high-pressure, highly competitive, unpredictable situation. But I loved doing the work and pushing my creative limits, and I think that's what ultimately matters.

by Anonymousreply 2511/09/2013

Great story, R25. I wanted to be a writer too but never made enough of an effort. I wrote one screenplay when I was 18. Re-reading it recently, the good parts weren't where I thought they would be and the terrible ones occurred more often than I cared for. I wrote a few short stories and a terrible "novel" (which was really just rambling on my part) when I was in my very early twenties. Got rejected by publishers, obviously. One took the trouble to write back and tell me how terrible the writing was, beyond salvation in his opinion.

Then that was it, I met people who were much better writers than I was and who now work as freelance translators (translating YA fiction, for the most part). These are people who are truly talented, everything they write is fresh, striking etc. It's still very difficult and I know even when they are established, they never know if the rug is going to be pulled from under their feet and in a way, they still struggle.

Today when I look at people who have succeeded in an artistic career I see what I wouldn't even call hard work due to the level of committment, plus there is personality, drive, they need to be unique, and you need to be on the forefront of what's happening in your genre - not a follower. And all that, is very, very, very difficult to achieve.

I saw that with bands. In music you ave the very big names in a given genre. Then you will have smaller names who gravitate in the same type of music but who are just not as big -not as big in fame, but also not as talented, or not as original, or not as mouch in touch with what society is experiencing at the time. Then you'll have the bands who are really not that famous unless you are really into the music scene, they are usually semi-pros. They will tour with bands who are more famous than they are, they will be booked in small venues very locally, and have their loyal fans, but they will never go mainstream, even within their genre. Basically they make enough to continue doing music, but they will never break through. To be at this level you already need to be very, very good, and even brilliant if you look at it from a regular Jose perspective.

Then you will have the very good amateurs. They will never make it, the music they play is an imitation of their favourite bands. They have a day job, all of them. They are music fans and are also fans of the semi-pros, who they may consider their competition if they're delusional enough not to see that their own game isn't on par with the game of higher players. These are good musicians, sometimes even very good, but will be lacking in something: the lyrics are shit, the singer is off-key and doesn't seek to correct it, they have no stage presence and don't see that as a problem.

And finally you'll have the people who have started playing music as a hobby and go to open mics but just don't have enough talent. These people will go to concerts a lot, but they're more audience members than musicians.

And in these circles, those who are at the very center, the top artists, have made a committment we cannot even begin to imagine. So yeah, it looks like it could be nice, but in all honesty all I think most of us can ever hope to achieve is to be good amateurs if we are talented enough, and if we have the drive and work super hard and music/writing is our life, be semi-pros. But it really takes that extra drive, which certainly has a killer instinct to it, to be anything more.

by Anonymousreply 2611/09/2013

Alan Ball? Todd Haynes? R21.

by Anonymousreply 2711/09/2013

Horrible typos...

*much in touch (I wrote mouch because of touch, the mind is already thinking of what you're going to type next and you end up typing it in too early)

* regular Joe, of course.

by Anonymousreply 2811/09/2013

It's still going to happen for me, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2911/09/2013

OP, did you actually try to make it as an actor or writer? What do you do now?

R21, do you still think you will be famous after you die?

by Anonymousreply 3011/09/2013

Fame can happen at any age but, good lord, it is such a ZERO goal. As others have posted, everyone seems to want to be famous these days and so many of those idiots who are famous have no talent! It used to be you were famous, mostly, for some TALENT, something extraordinary about you that earned you the talent, even if it was only extreme Hollywood beauty. To make fame a goal is vapid, vacuous and fleeting. If you do what you love, everything else falls into place. But if someone gives up on a goal in midlife or sooner, that is their CHOICE. Perhaps other things become more important.

by Anonymousreply 3111/09/2013

Agreed with R31 and the other posters who have said that fame is a zero goal.

Sometimes I've been in positions that equated to "fame" (well, local fame - high school fame mostly) and I hated it. It's very difficult to deal with, quite extreme usually - people either love you or hate you, and don't worry, they'll let you know, because you're a commodity. Things you pay no attention to will be scrutinized and people will get back to you about whatever insignificant detail and asking you about it.

When I said I wanted to be a writer, I wanted to make my living as a writer. I wanted to be able to write and for it to be my primary activity. I didn't want to be famous. I certainly didn't want - and still don't want - to be recognised everywhere I go.

However, I would like for my work to achieve a certain level of success, and something I've often felt would be nice would be for something that I've written - a joke, a phrase, a nickname, a character - to enter collective consciousness, even if just among a niche group, and be quoted in casual conversation between people, even if people have forgotten where that came from originally. That I would really have liked.

So maybe that's something I'll work for.

by Anonymousreply 3211/09/2013

I'm gaymous. I get to go to gay events, red carpets, the like, and make a good chunk of change on the speaking circuit. Normal people have no fucking clue who I am. It's seriously the best of both worlds.

I'd never want to be, say, Britney Spears.

by Anonymousreply 3311/09/2013

Most famous people appear "free" but in reality have handlers directing their every move, especially young celebrities. Their image may be one of rebellion and economic and personal freedom, but it is a calculated fiction. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3411/09/2013

I too found I couldn't make my living as a writer. I was on the launching pad. This was years ago. My writing partner and mentor died of AIDS. I kind of stopped, lost my ambition, knew I'd never support myself as a writer. I'm lazy and Discipline is not my middle name.

One "Big in the 70s" writer I know knocked it out of the park with her first novel, which was actually a collection of vignettes she wrote for a freebie paper in SF. I started out a decade later the same way. But she had all the success. I was her male Eve Harrington. Her second book was nominated for the Pulitzer but didn't sell, except Cher optioned it for the movies but never made it. I remember picking her up after she got this check for a quarter million dollars. She's 75 now and still doing script doctoring out of her houseboat in Sausalito.

And I'm still plugging away at a semi-lucrative, totally unchallenging day job that pays the bills with a little left over for a couple of meals out.

A girl I grew up with became a big Broadway star. Patti LuPone. I'm a few years younger. I remember her sitting me down and telling me exactly how she was going to do it when I was in high school and she was heading off to Julliard. Everyone in our small town, where I still live, loves her because she put us on the map, along with Edie Falco whose mother still works at the diner. She has that perfect combination of talent and discipline. That's what you need.

by Anonymousreply 3511/09/2013

Very enlightening post, R35. When you talk about talent and discipline, I think that's exactly what it is. I heard this a lot when I was a teen and didn't really figure out what it meant. "Work hard", "sweat", sure, what? But now when I look back at what I did with my youth (= have fun, score with the ladies, make tons of mistakes and then pay for my mistakes) I see that I did not have discipline. I didn't work. I went to uni, half-assedly did what was expected of me, literally fucked like there was no tomorrow the year before I turned 30, and then settled down. But I certainly didn't make any substantial effort to earn a living as a writer.

And, if I look at my romantic life (which I worked a lot on, believe me), the reality was much more satisfying but also much worse, in its failures, than the fantasy. Reality is life, and you have to live with the choices you make. It's not just a dream. So I'm not sure I want to go down that road, chasing something I don't really know how it's going to work out, and furthermore in an area that is so competitive, even for those who are very talented. Plus, when I imagine I want to be writing, what I invariably see is the coast of Cornwall, so I probably don't want to be a writer, I just want to be retired.

by Anonymousreply 3611/09/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3711/09/2013

I had the fantasy of being a rock star when I was a teenager. I actually had some singing ability and who knows what would have happened if I had seriously developed it? Of course that didn't happen, but it was ok. After finding out what the life of someone trying to make it in the music business is like, I realized that there would be more disappointment and heartache involved than fulfillment and good times, not to mention the money factor. Unless you're one of the lucky few who become popular it's a hand to mouth existence.

I do sometime harbor the fantasy of becoming some kind of a celebrity sometimes. These days you can become rich and famous just by being obnoxious and outlandish; you don't even have to be good-looking or talented. It makes me think why not me? It's silly, I know.

by Anonymousreply 3811/09/2013

[quote]When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended for self-flagellation solely. - Truman Capote

In some cases, like Patti's, they just have so much talent that people recognize that and reinforce their self-image from a young age. Many famous actors will tell you they knew they would be famous when they were young. Patti and her brothers were in show biz. They had an act. Eventually, one brother became the voice of the disembodied director in A Chorus Line at the same time Patti was starring in Evita. That kind of summed up their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 3911/09/2013

It seems that people have to sell their soul for the privilege of fame. I'm too content to ever see that happening...I

by Anonymousreply 4011/09/2013

For me, it's all about the work

by Anonymousreply 4111/09/2013

I used to have a genuine fantasy that I'd be famous. Now I'm delighted it never happened. I value my privacy far too much.

by Anonymousreply 4211/09/2013

The thing with fame is that it can no longer be used as a measure of talent or intellect. There are far too many examples of famous people who are an example of "right place, right time, and a whole lot of luck". A lot of the "experts" you see on talk shows and news shows are not always the best in their field, but simply the ones who happen to have media connections.

by Anonymousreply 4311/09/2013

We always knew.

by Anonymousreply 4411/09/2013

Not as an adult but around the age of 10 I was convinced that I was royalty and I was sent to live with those people to build character. That someday the King and Queen would send for me to join them at court. Fifty years later, I'm still waiting.

by Anonymousreply 4511/09/2013

[quote]She has that perfect combination of talent and discipline. That's what you need.

Not to mention evil ruthlessness and infinite spite!

by Anonymousreply 4611/09/2013

One of my friends from college has spent his entire life trying to be famous. He could be insufferable about it when he was younger (and he still is unfortunately something of a starfucker); but he's a genuinely nice guy now, and he has really worked hard at his job over the years (he's a playwright), and so I was delighted when he finally had his first unqualified success recently (both critically and popularly).

by Anonymousreply 4711/09/2013

My father was a celebrity (athlete) on the local level, so I got a little taste of it. My father handled it well and people were generally nice. However, even at one of the last lunches I had with him, as he walked through the restaurant, he was stopped by some old guys who practically genuflected as they talked like fangirls to him while my mother and I waited at the table. My father was very extroverted but I'm introverted, so I don't see the appeal of having people you don't really know gush about how great you are.

That said, about ten years ago, this woman I vaguely knew who was into tarot and all that shit insisted on reading my cards. I finally agreed and during the reading she told me that I was going to be famous. I was appalled and she backed off and said it was my choice if I did or didn't want to be. (I also got the feeling that she was jealous.) I really don't think I'd be happy with that kind of life (and I don't want to be infamous either).

by Anonymousreply 4811/09/2013

i am slightly well known in one small sliver of the world, and it's nice, but the real advantage is the opportunities it gives me to live my life on my own terms. it's nice to be occasionally fangurled over, but i prefer being anonymous.

by Anonymousreply 4911/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!