Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's the perfect game, but I must say I am rather amateurish. I recently rediscovered it, and I want to get better.

Any expert players here? Any good stories? Any matches that led somewhere unexpected outside the realm of the game? Any tips?

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2013

Chess? Wrote a musical about it wanna hear it here it go

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2013

Train online, I do it all the time bc none of my friends likes to play.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2013

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster...

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2013

Holy fuck R2!! That AI player is insane!!

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2013

Big waste of time unless you're winning competitively. Many of the best hustlers learned the game in prison; it takes brains but o more than playing an instrument.

The game is all but "solved" now, so it's lost its allure of yesteryear, even though players still enjoy seeing who can do their homework bettre and memorize more existing theory, as opposed to when people had to figured out the best moves without being able to "proofread" them in a machine.

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2013

R4 Thanks, lots of other games on that page as well! Try the Mahjongg. There is also a link to lumosity on the page, but they want to be payed. I think there is a free 3 months trial for lumosity though. They have great games!

R5 Do you yourself understand what you are talking about?

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2013

I reckon R5 is one them libertarians.

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2013

'The Grass Arena' is a very good book (and later TV film) about a no-hoper (tramp and drunk) who discovered chess, and became one of England's top players.

Mark Rylance plays John Healy (who wrote the book, now a Penguin Classic) in the excellent film. Recommended.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2013

Payed is an obsolete way of saying paid, but not completely wrong, dear!

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2013

But the queens we use would not excite you

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2013

Trouble is, the girl is me The story is, the girl is me

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2013

My mom taught me to play when I was about 8 years old. I loved playing until all of the computer shit started. Then it became all about theory and beating the computer (that plays logically and not intuitively). It's no fun to play a stupid computer. They never "play" they just want to "win".

I like to play chess to play and understand my opponent. Not necessarily to win the game.

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!