Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

COMPANY with NPH on!!!!

Martha Plimpton looks like a pug.

Never saw such ugly costumes in my life.

by Dede Ryanreply 4811/10/2013

Does NPH know how to do role that doesn't require acting like an annoying asshole?

by Dede Ryanreply 111/08/2013

Thanks. I'll be watching the D.A Pennebaker doc instead.

by Dede Ryanreply 211/08/2013

are Floyd and Nola with them?

by Dede Ryanreply 311/08/2013

My TV listing site shows this as "new", but I know it's been on before. Is this some kind of different packaging? Part of a fundraising drive?

by Dede Ryanreply 411/08/2013

"Martha Plimpton looks like a pug."

by Dede Ryanreply 511/08/2013

It has not been shown on NY's PBS station, perhaps other PBS outlets have shown it. The Blu-ray/dvd has been out for a long time.

by Dede Ryanreply 611/08/2013

Sorry, OD'd on Company (saw the Raul Esparza "reinterpretation" version) and have had the original cast album a million years. I love NPH but am a bit sick of him right now. Too much of a good thing. PASS. Let Bobby figure it all out without me.

by Dede Ryanreply 711/08/2013

Each actor looks like they're in a different world. It makes me appreciate the John Doyle version all the more now.

by Dede Ryanreply 811/08/2013

So is Bobby almost always (Kert, Esparza, Chakiris, Harris) played by a gay actor? The original (Dean Jones) wasn't gay, but it seems like every other major production has had a gay lead.

by Dede Ryanreply 911/08/2013

And NPH cannot sing!

by Dede Ryanreply 1011/08/2013

I'm not gay.

I couldn't sing either

by Dede Ryanreply 1111/08/2013

Christina Hendricks and Anika Noni Rose were the only good parts of this version.

Neil Patrick Harris can't act.

by Dede Ryanreply 1211/08/2013

by Dede Ryanreply 1311/08/2013

Hmmmm....I see NPH removed his nipple post for the taping.

by Dede Ryanreply 1411/08/2013

I'm not saying NPH can't play straight but I did come away thinking 'wow, Bobby really IS gay.' It was a dreary production and Patti being Patti just isn't cutting it anymore. And how on earth did the actor playing her husband score the bow AFTER hers? Speaking of shtick, between this and Annie are we finally over Katie Finneran? Craig Bierko looked like Stephen Fry and that Jill Paice girl just never makes any kind of impression. How on earth did she end up getting cast as Scarlett in GWTW in London? I was hoping Aaron Lazar would be shirtless in the I'm not getting married scene...or at least a wifebeater.

by Dede Ryanreply 1511/08/2013

Bobby is gay. that's his dilemma. So is Pippin. Tevye is probably straight.

by Dede Ryanreply 1611/08/2013

[quote]Speaking of shtick, between this and Annie are we finally over Katie Finneran?

Shouldn't that be "between this, Annie, and The Michael J. Fox Show, are we finally over Katie Finneran"?

by Dede Ryanreply 1711/08/2013

Craig Bierko = Stephen Fry!!!!

OMG yes. I was trying to figure out who he reminded me of.

by Dede Ryanreply 1811/08/2013

R18, you mean Stephen Colbert?

I'm enjoying NPH. I flipped this on, intending to watch something else. But I just kept watching and now will probably finish it. I think he does a great job. He is so natural and makes it look effortless.

by Dede Ryanreply 1911/08/2013

I liked the gag where Finneran steals Germigani's conducting stick. That's about all that I liked, but it's something.

by Dede Ryanreply 2011/08/2013

Watched this last week on DVD. Why did Craig Bierko keep his eyes closed throughout the scene where they posed as a group at the end of one of the numbers as if for a photo? It's also the shot used on the cover of the DVD. He must have kept 'em shut for at least a minute!

by Dede Ryanreply 2111/09/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Dede Ryanreply 2211/09/2013

April, the flight attendant

by Dede Ryanreply 2311/09/2013

Gosh yes, r20, what would Paul Gemignani have done without his conducting stick.

Conducting stick.

by Dede Ryanreply 2411/09/2013

I adore Martha Plimpton. If was into women, I would be into her.

by Dede Ryanreply 2511/09/2013

Pippin is gay, R16? I've never heard that interpretation before.

by Dede Ryanreply 2611/09/2013

Hey [r24], get with the flow of the city and unclench.

by Dede Ryanreply 2711/09/2013

I actually thought that was Stephen Fry for a minute there. Once you think that, you can't not see it.

Wasn't he spoofing family pictures where one goof always has his eyes closed when the pic is taken?

During that "seduction" scene between Bierko and NPH, I kept thinking if Bierko was as hot as he has been in the past, NPH would be all over it.

by Dede Ryanreply 2811/09/2013

I really enjoy this production. Colbert and Plimpton are terrific as a couple who know how to push each others buttons, Hendricks is delightful as April - esp. because most people only think of her as Joan from Mad Men.

Patti is Patti - but when playing Joanne, that all she has to be.

NPH made some interesting decisions - his Bobby is aloof and removed, always looking in at people's lives, but never allowing himself to participate - which is what Joanne points out at the club. If you watch the entire production, You can see how Bobby moves from "Marry Me a Little" to the birthday wish of "Being Alive".

by Dede Ryanreply 2911/09/2013

NPH is delightful as Bobby. Love his "Being Alive." I'm not familiar with the play, just the songs as performed on Barbra's THE BROADWAY ALBUM, which, unfortunately, reminds me of the friends who died when that album was new.

Now I'm listening to Patti Lupone's "Ladies Who Lunch." I made it through "and one for Mahler" before switching to Elaine Stritch. She takes it away from Streisand easily. Wonderful.

by Dede Ryanreply 3011/09/2013

This was just terrible. Terribly miscast, terribly staged. The actors are all good, but not here. Nope. No way. The mugging, the "See what I can do?" looks at the audience...this Company was dipped in shit and sprinkled with confetti. And goddam Patti again swallows her lyrics. I bailed out after about half an hour, stopping back in every now and then. For all it's problems, the one with Esparza was light years better.

by Dede Ryanreply 3111/09/2013

by Dede Ryanreply 3211/09/2013

Are Bobby's friends, all those couples, are they supposed to be friends with each other? Because they sure didn't look it.

by Dede Ryanreply 3311/09/2013

The ignorance of some posts here are jaw-dropping.

The nastiness of some posts which I think are supposed to be read as clever or witty or Addison DeWitt-like say much more about the poster (and none of that is good) than the production or the performances.

DL really is a sad reflection on gay men who seem to live to be unpleasant.

And no, I'm not new here, I've seen all of this before, but it's always dismaying to read.

by Dede Ryanreply 3411/09/2013

R20 the last person who made that mistake was Julia Roberts when she won her Oscar and revealed herself to be the witless dullard we all knew she could be.

The word is baton.

by Dede Ryanreply 3511/09/2013

[quote]And NPH cannot sing! by: Raul

Neither can David Hyde Pierce and yet he won The Tony! Ha ha.

[quote]...this Company was dipped in shit and sprinkled with confetti.

You sound like such a delight, as if rainbows shoot out of your ass.

by Dede Ryanreply 3611/09/2013

Jesus Christ on a crutch. The fangurls here who take criticism of a musical as a personal attack. We get it. You liked it. Some of us didn't. Now run along, lover. The grown-ups want to talk.

by Dede Ryanreply 3711/09/2013

What makes this musical worthy of not one, but TWO TV adaptations? So many other musicals have *never* had the privilege.

by Dede Ryanreply 3811/09/2013

Martha Plimpton is my goddess!

by Dede Ryanreply 3911/09/2013

R17 there's a Michael J. Fox show? Oh jeez. how did I miss that? Now HE would make an interesting Bobby!

by Dede Ryanreply 4011/09/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Dede Ryanreply 4111/09/2013

You have to remember that this was a staged concert version and they probably didn't have 4-5 weeks of rehearsal. I enjoyed it despite it's flaws. Patti always finds laughs and knocked it out of the park with "Ladies"- you could really see that she was singing about herself. Bierko looked insane. Christina was very good and also found the comedy in her ditzy character. Didn't care for Anika. Side By Side was fun. NPH was OK but still looked a little too young for the part. Great to hear the original orchestrations with that great orchestra. B+.

by Dede Ryanreply 4211/09/2013

[quote]The actors are all good, but not here. Nope. No way. The mugging, the "See what I can do?" looks at the audience.

Isn't mugging with the "See what I can do?" looks basically what NPH does in everything?

by Dede Ryanreply 4311/09/2013

I watched it out of curiosity, because I'd been hearing the Sondheim fangurls talk it up for years.

Hate the play, what a bunch of annoying, self-absorbed, irritating people! No song can make up for their presence. And the actors were playing to the last row, which is very jarring on TV, couldn't the director have told them to take it back a notch?

by Dede Ryanreply 4411/09/2013

This show made me want to move to Radio City!

by Dede Ryanreply 4511/10/2013

R46: I think he left the show before many performances. Too bad.

by Dede Ryanreply 4611/10/2013

Dean was going through a painful divorce and the subject matter of Company hit very hard for him to the point he was almost at a breakdown.

by Dede Ryanreply 4711/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!