Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Former Michigan lawyer fired for harassing gay student sues state for 'wrongful termination'

US: Former Michigan lawyer fired for harassing gay student sues state for 'wrongful termination'

8th November 2013, 4:39 PM

A former Michigan lawyer who lost his job after harrassing a gay student has recently filed a "wrongful termination" suit against the state attorney general, asking for both compensation as well as his old job back.

Associated Press reports that in 2012, Shirvell was sued $4.5 million (£2.8 million) after he harassed Chris Armstrong, a student at the University of Michigan.

Shirvell had launched a website named "Chris Armstrong Watch," claiming the student used his position of power to promote a "radical homosexual agenda" while hosting gay orgies in his dorm room.

He featured a photo of Mr Armstrong with a swastika over his face, calling him "Satan's representative on the student assembly" and a "privileged pervert."

These allegations came in response to Mr Armstrong's campaign to curb rising tuition fees and expand gender-neutral housing to trans students at the University, which won him the election.

On thursday, Shirvell filed a federal lawsuit claiming he had been wrongly terminated from his job following the incident.

The defendants of the lawsuit are Mike Cox, the previous attorney general who fired him in 2010, Bill Schuette, who is the current Attorney General, as well as four others.

Shirvell has said he is seeking both monetary compensation as well as a reinstatement at his old job.

by Anonymousreply 2311/10/2013

Breeder? That's a twisted closet case if ever there was one.

by Anonymousreply 111/08/2013

Not this nutbag again!

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2013

The Buster Bluth of lawyers will NOT be ignored!

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2013

Further proof that Shirvell is a narcissist and a loon. He's one of these people who is so convinced of his utter "right-ness" that he cannot and will not admit he's done anything wrong, and will never abide anyone else saying as much.

The joke is that Mike Cox was a major right-winger as well, and only fired Shrivell when the latter's behavior became a public embarrassment for Cox. Shrivwell pulled a lot of crap on Armstrong before Cox was forced to do something.

If Armstrond hadn't fought back, Cox would have let Shrivell get away with his behavior.

by Anonymousreply 411/08/2013

Oh, lordy, what a closet case. You know he was fantasizing about those orgies.

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2013

Oh my God, he's a girleen!

by Anonymousreply 711/08/2013

"diamontrically oppossed" Is that what he says?

by Anonymousreply 811/08/2013

Shrivell is a very apt name.

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2013

There's something weird about his head. It's very small and oddly shaped.

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2013

Oh, look. The $4.5M figure matches what the jury ruled he has to pay for harassing Chris Sullivan.

[quote]Gordon said Shirvell was told that the lawsuit would have been dropped if he had retracted his statements. She said that because the jury that heard the case is unable to make Shirvell issue an apology, the $4.5 million in damages would take its place.

[quote]"When we filed the case, we sent him a letter asking for retractions," Gordon said. "We sent a letter before the case was heard. The record needed to be set straight."

[quote]Shirvell, who was fired by former Attorney General Mike Cox after criticism of Armstrong in 2010, said he is unemployed, and that he has no means to pay such a sizable settlement, The AP reported.

[quote]"There's no way I could possibly ever pay such a judgment," he said after the ruling.

by Anonymousreply 1111/08/2013

I bet $4.5 million that Andrew Shirvell posts on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2013

I couldn't find any reason for the harassment. Did I miss it? I mean out of an entire college he targeted one student and he was a FORMER alum. How did he find out about this kid? It almost sounds like a crush that turned into stalking.

by Anonymousreply 1311/08/2013

He was a high profile gay guy on campus. The stalking took off after he was elected student body president.

by Anonymousreply 1411/08/2013

Well, that explains how he came to this kook's attention but still doesn't explain why as a former student he cared so much.

by Anonymousreply 1511/08/2013

C.A. was very attractive R16.

by Anonymousreply 1611/08/2013

Thank you, R6. That Daily Show piece is brilliant. Even in a world full of idiotic right-wing bigots, this guy is UNBELIEVABLE.

by Anonymousreply 1711/08/2013

Think pigtails in inkwell, R16. I think he had a "forbidden" attraction to Armstrong that became obsessive.

by Anonymousreply 1811/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 1911/08/2013

Anyone else notice in the John Daily clip his eyes darting back and forth? That's got to be a sign of something. Lying?

by Anonymousreply 2011/08/2013

This case reminds of what's happening now with Martin and Icognito. It has that same kind of weird, stalking bully obsession.

by Anonymousreply 2111/08/2013

Agree, R22. Can you imagine what Shirvell would be like if he had Incognito's beef and brawn?

by Anonymousreply 2211/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!