Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay siblings?

How many of you have gay siblings (and are gay yourself)?

I, myself, am a gay male. I come from a family of six siblings (3 boys, 3 girls). All of the brothers are gay. All of the sisters are straight. I know . . . what are the chances? At least dear parents can't complain about no one continuing the family surname since oldest brother had 2 kids before coming out.

by Anonymousreply 8403/30/2014

3 out of 3. Two girls one boy. All gay.

by Anonymousreply 211/08/2013

my cousin is gay yet still in the closet WAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAA... the cowardice of it

by Anonymousreply 311/08/2013

What a ridiculous thing to say, r4. Not normal??

by Anonymousreply 511/08/2013

I have a friend who comes from a family of 4 boys and 2 girls. Three of the boys are gay, one is straight and the 2 girls are straight.

by Anonymousreply 611/08/2013

I never thought my straight siblings and parents were unduly influencing each other or copying, so why would it be the case for gay family members?

by Anonymousreply 811/08/2013

R7, all families are different and the fact that, in a few cases, several children might be gay is just a peculiarity like any other.

I am sorry to say this, but implying that just because some posters have mentioned that in their families/the families of people they know, there are several gay siblings, there was something sordid and unhealthy taking place, is repugnant at best. Who are you to say this? Most importantly, are you aware of the fact that this doesn't say anything good about YOU?

Obviously, you have some issues, mate, and other people are not to blame for your prejudices. The next time just try to be more respectful.

As for me, I have two brothers. Both are heterosexual and married with children. My oldest brother is an obnoxious asshole, so I don't mind, but I'd have liked my middle brother to be gay - mainly because he is a great guy and I'd have liked to have someone supportive and generous like him being able to understand what I was going through as a child and during my teen years. I wouldn't have felt so alone. Although my family has always accepted me, no one really could see what my emotional needs were, and I often felt lonely and sad. So yes, having a gay sibling would have been great.

by Anonymousreply 911/08/2013

Warm (((hugs))) to R9.

by Anonymousreply 1011/08/2013

I have a gay brother and I hate him with a passion.

He's a psychotic, bi-polar, manic depressive, abusive, recovering addict with anger management issues. I can't even stand the sight of him, and I've 100% cut him out of my life.

He has burned every personal and professional bridge he has ever had, and to be perfectly honest, my parents and other siblings simply tolerate him because they feel sorry for him.

It never ceases to amaze me how different we are - like 180 degrees. The guy is the meanest, nastiest, most miserable human being I have ever met.

Strange, how life works out.

by Anonymousreply 1211/08/2013

Not for me, my brother is straight. Have a friend though, who is one of 12 children, 6 and 6. Half of each are gay. After the 3rd child came out to the parents, it got to the " Oh really?" stage.

by Anonymousreply 1411/08/2013

R4/r7 = deeply homophobic and ignorant.

There is nothing wrong with being gay. Being gay is normal. There is nothing strange about being gay. Despite occurring in smaller numbers and being encountered less frequently in general, homosexuality is equivalent to heterosexuality in every way.

It's just different. Not better or worse. Just different.

Families where homosexuality occurs multiple times among close relatives are no more likely to be incestuous or "strange" than other families, nor is anyone necessarily "faking".

I have to stop for a moment, as a gay person who has lived on this earth for going on 5 decades now, and ask you where you get the idea that anyone would willingly "fake" being gay for any reason. There is little societal benefit and much shame and disdain heaped upon gay people still. It frankly boggles the mind that anyone could think that "faking gay" would ever be a choice someone would make for themselves. Your ignorance is nothing short of breathtaking.

Finally, I'd like to address your assumption that "gay influences" must play a part in families with multiple gay siblings. Once again: there is nothing wrong with being gay. It occurs naturally among people who exhibit traits like morality, reponsibility and personal accountability that society at large deems "normal". Given that, "gay influences" are also normal and natural and not evidence of anything "weird going on".

So let's see, now, Frau cow: you slurred homosexuality as weird and abnormal, and alluded that it spreads through recruitment, indoctrination, peer pressure and sexual abuse. You spout a line of thinking that is straight outta Westboro, Kansas.

Why the fuck are you commenting on a gay gossip website, you hateful, ignorant freak?

by Anonymousreply 1511/08/2013

What is with the trolls on this thread? Now we have R16/17 spewing garbage.

by Anonymousreply 1811/08/2013

I have three older sisters. I'm the youngest and only son. I'm gay, sisters are straight. However, my middle sis COULD be bi. Her relationship with her best friend is VERY intense and * thisclose* to being lesbian drama. Yes, she's married and has kids ( as do all of my sisters) but that doesn't mean anything...

by Anonymousreply 1911/08/2013

Gay first cousin.

by Anonymousreply 2011/08/2013

I am a bisexual female. I have one straight brother, one straight sister, and one bisexual brother,

I also have a bisexual male first cousin and two bisexual female cousins (out of a total of 17). My first cousin once removed is a lesbian.

But because you practiced bisexual erasure, I guess I couldn't answer your poll.

by Anonymousreply 2111/08/2013

I have 10 brothers. 8 gay. 6 bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 2211/08/2013

Clearly genetic. One of my closest friends has a family of 8 siblings. 4 are gay/bisexual and one was born with a penis and an ovary and has a sex change.

by Anonymousreply 2311/08/2013

R23, from what to what?

by Anonymousreply 2411/08/2013

R23, unless they were all adopted out at birth and raised completely separate, it's not clear whether genetics or environment play a greater role. Most recent studies indicate a combination of factors including genetics, in utero hormonal changes and environmental factors.

by Anonymousreply 2511/08/2013

[quote]environmental factors

Please explain how this affects one's sexual orientation please?

by Anonymousreply 2711/08/2013

I have two half sisters. One of them decided around 40 (after dating men and having two kids) that she liked women. They were together for about five years, now she's single. Not sure what that makes her, she's never really put a label to it.

My other half sister is sexually attracted to women and has affairs with women although she is married (husband is fine with it).

by Anonymousreply 2811/08/2013

I love your famil, R28. Which I could be that free-spirited.

by Anonymousreply 2911/08/2013

Heterosexuality isn't normal, it's just common.

by Anonymousreply 3011/08/2013

I'm gay, but I have a sister who is bisexual.

An ex was gay and he had a lesbian sister.

by Anonymousreply 3111/08/2013

R33 = Pat Robertson

by Anonymousreply 3411/08/2013

Why is R33 "Pat Robertson"???

by Anonymousreply 3511/08/2013

I suggest not responding to the trolls. They are only posting to provoke responses, and the more attention they get, the more they will troll.

by Anonymousreply 3611/08/2013

OP, I think this just provides more proof that the gay gene exists.

It obviously runs in your family. Nothing strange about it. I believe being gay is genetic. We're born gay so, you and your brothers were born gay.

by Anonymousreply 3711/08/2013

I'm the only gay sibling because I'm the only child.

My partner is one of four: oldest is MTF, partner is next, younger brother is also gay, youngest, a girl, is straight.

by Anonymousreply 3811/08/2013

I wonder if there's more of a biological component to male gayness vs. lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 4011/08/2013

I wonder if OP is gay at all. Since OP assumed posters were not necessarily gay. I wonder where OP is going with this.

by Anonymousreply 4111/08/2013

My partner & his brother - both gay.

I was an only child so who knows what may have been..

by Anonymousreply 4211/08/2013

There is some evidence that the more older brothers a male has, the more likely he is to be gay.

The theory is that there is something inherent in the womb environment causing this: because a male fetus is completely foreign to a woman's body (as opposed to a female fetus, where at least the XX chromosome is less alien), some currently-unknown biological components or processes are put in motion. And with each successive male child, these components / processes / whatever are more likely to produce a gay male child.

Fascinating stuff!

by Anonymousreply 4311/08/2013

There is one huge problem with the theory that the more older brothers a male has, the more likely he is to be gay. How do you explain lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 4411/08/2013

I was the only one of triplets to survive birth. I sometimes wonder if the other two might have been gay. That would have been cool. Plus it would have killed my parents. :-)

by Anonymousreply 4511/08/2013

[quote]There is one huge problem with the theory that the more older brothers a male has, the more likely he is to be gay. How do you explain lesbians?

I'm pretty sure no lesbian is anyone's brother, older or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 4611/08/2013

I know a family where all 3 sons are gay. There are no other siblings.

I believe that being gay is a relatively common genetic mutation. Therefor, gay people are 'born that way'. I do not believe environment can change sexual orientation.

I do however believe that an individual can demonstrate a change in sexual behavior (note: behavior, not orientation) when so motivated and has no inner conflict with same sex behavior, i.e. gay for pay, or just plain want to get off with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 4711/08/2013

Remember those gay brothers on Amazing Race that called each other 'bitch' all the time? I thought the shorter one with the nice blue eyes was a hottie.

by Anonymousreply 4811/08/2013

me and my twin both like girls. I guess it's not much of a shocker since we have the same DNA.

by Anonymousreply 4911/08/2013

I'm a gay man, the middle child, and my younger brother is gay.

I have a number of gay cousins as well, though I don't know where the lesbians in my family are.

by Anonymousreply 5011/08/2013

The level of ignorance on this thread is mind boggling.

I only have one sibling (sister) and she is straight. I do, however have two uncles (brothers) who are gay.

by Anonymousreply 5211/08/2013

2 are either gay/bi but I have a lot of siblings.

by Anonymousreply 5311/08/2013

[quote]We had a gay poodle growing up

Isn't that redundant?

by Anonymousreply 5411/08/2013

I am a gay guy who has a sister who is either bisexual or gay and and an aunt who is gay.

by Anonymousreply 5511/08/2013

Me and my brother are rather competitive with each other(mostly in a good way), so if he were gay, I could see us trying to get the same guy. Have any of you that have a gay sibling fought/competed over the same potential love interest? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 5611/08/2013

R47, apparently I have to explain this to you. The theory was

[quote] a male fetus is completely foreign to a woman's body (as opposed to a female fetus, where at least the XX chromosome is less alien), some currently-unknown biological components or processes are put in motion. And with each successive male child, these components / processes / whatever are more likely to produce a gay male child.

My point was "How do you explain lesbians?" Nothing about a lesbian should be foreign to the mothers body. Oh never mind, you probably won't understand this either.

by Anonymousreply 5711/09/2013

To be honest, R58, it seems as if though half or more of all "lesbians" choose to identify as lesbians. I've known about an equal amount of true-blue lesbians as lesbians who have declared themselves sapphic and then ended up with a man...

The biology of male homosexuality is much, much different and seems to be an inherent trait.

by Anonymousreply 5811/09/2013

R58,

If that were true, gay males would be the majority of the male population. 90% of the pop can't be Macduffs.

by Anonymousreply 5911/09/2013

R58, homosexuality is too common to explain it with just proximate mechanisms (hormones may very well be *how*; they do not tell us for *what purpose*); there has to be a functional selective advantage for homosexual behaviour as an adaptation. It's most likely bisexuality that has been selected for - one reproduces and also receives rexiprocal altruism (survival benefits for one's offspring) due to both homosexual and heterosexual frienship/lover alliances.

by Anonymousreply 6011/10/2013

My great grandfather 6 daughters. 4 to his first wife and 2 to his second wife. He has 5 lesbian great granddaughters. 2 are from his first lot of kids, 3 are from the younger half sisters. He is the only common denominator

by Anonymousreply 6111/10/2013

The Huvane brothers are both gay?

by Anonymousreply 6211/10/2013

I don't have any gay siblings. I know two gay brothers who come from a family of six kids. I met these two brothers because I used to do pro-bono legal work for a LGB non-profit and one of the brother is HIV pos.

by Anonymousreply 6311/10/2013

I find this topic endlessly fascinating.....

I am a lesbian. My only sibling -- a half-brother, nine years my senior -- is also gay. Same mother; different fathers (his died when he was 3). We lived in the same household together for 9 years, until he left for college. He has two other much older half-siblings (20 years), from his father's first marriage, both of whom are straight.

One of my lesbian friends is #6 of 7 kids. Her three sisters (5-12 years older) are all straight. Her younger brother is straight. Her middle brother, whom she is closest to in age, is also gay. The oldest brother, who is 14 years older than her....is a priest.

by Anonymousreply 6411/14/2013

Siblings straight, but much gay or highly suspect is sprinkled liberally through the generations, male side. Always made me think of a genetic predisposition, some linked trait .. which has led me to wonder. Since most hidden gay men reproduced in the past and do not have to do so now, will we die out eventually?

by Anonymousreply 6511/14/2013

I'm an only child so I can't have any gay siblings, but BOTH of my parents are gay. I have coined a term for myself: GAGA (gay adult of gay adults).

by Anonymousreply 6611/14/2013

Hey, OP....Like You, I come from a family of 6 siblings. 3 boys, 3 girls. Two of the sisters are clearly straight. One, though married, I'm not sure about. (I hope she is not gay. I don't want that bitch on our team.)

I, of course, am gay, gay, and even more gay. One brother, who is my best friend in the world, is straight.

The other is "ex-gay." He was out, and seemingly happy several years ago, but is now married, with two (adopted) children. He says that, through a lot of work and therapy, he was able to realize his true sexuality.

His wife knew him during the gay period, and now they seem happy and loving, so who the hell knows?

by Anonymousreply 6711/14/2013

r4 should be put out of it's misery.

by Anonymousreply 6811/14/2013

All I can say to that R67 is WOW! I knew a situation where a couple adopted two kids and went on each to same sex relationships, but biologically is even more unusual. Closest I've come to that in real life was knowing a fellow whose folks were a priest and nun who left the church to marry.

by Anonymousreply 6911/14/2013

r68, in other words, he wanted kids.

by Anonymousreply 7011/14/2013

R71 -- he was bi, but identified as gay so much that he repressed his interest in women.

by Anonymousreply 7111/14/2013

Two siblings + me: all gay. Paternal uncle: gay. Maternal 1st cousin: gay. Paternal 2nd cousins: most are gay.

by Anonymousreply 7212/28/2013

Only child, so I can't really participate. There is a suprisingly high coincidence of male homosexuality and transsexuality in the same families - last I heard, these things run in families because they both are determined by hormonal fluxuations in the womb. Those same studies found no increased chance of lesbianism though, so who knows what's up with that.

I have known a *lot* of gays and lesbians who had several or even all of their siblings come out of the closet, so many I just can't believe it's random chance. Genes, hormones...it's gotta be something hereditary.

by Anonymousreply 7312/28/2013

3 are queer (varying to degrees of bi...from mostly gay to hetero-married, 2 bros, 1 sis).

by Anonymousreply 7412/28/2013

5 siblings in my family. Two girls and three boys. I'm the middle child. My sisters are straight and married with kids. My older brother is straight as an arrow, man's man, sports nut, the whole bit. My younger brother and I are both gay. I've been out since I was 20 (34 now) and my little bro just came out last year although we all suspected. We were close growing up because we liked the same things -- Disney animated movies, musicals, play-acting. Our older bro often jokes that he has four sisters because my little bro and I never wanted to play or watch sports with him. My little brother is more effete than I, very expressive with the gesticulations and gay voice. I'm not as expressive or demonstrative but not exactly straight-acting, either. I guess I'm just on the lower spectrum of gay-acting.

by Anonymousreply 7512/28/2013

R27, the theory goes that the hormones fetuses are exposed to in utero strongly influence sexual orientation (also gender identity during a different developmental window). This is bolstered by things like male-female fraternal twins - the female twin is far more likely to turn out gay than her singleton sisters. The male twin, however, isn't any more likely to be gay. And while male homosexuality tends to run in families, statistically speaking, lesbianism doesn't nearly as much.

There's a lot of back and forth on this, but having looked at the data I think there's definitely more than one etiology at play here, and that makes it even more confusing to pin down.

by Anonymousreply 7612/28/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 7701/11/2014

My grandmother had 3 sisters and 3 brothers, all three brothers were gay. All the girls were married (straight as far as I know).

by Anonymousreply 7801/11/2014

OP sounds like my cousin.

by Anonymousreply 7901/11/2014

Shocked at some of the responses on here, clearly some individuals just like attention!

I have two half sisters and one half brother...all gay

by Anonymousreply 8003/30/2014

And too add to my previous message, I love them all and no one has the right to judge anyone by their sexuality! At laast....legal gay weddings! Oh,and my daughter is gay :-)

by Anonymousreply 8103/30/2014

I'm friends with identical twins, one is gay and the other isn't. Not sure how that works with the whole "100% shared DNA" thing....

by Anonymousreply 8203/30/2014

This thread just backs up the the pretty well accepted view amongst people with a brain that it's all about genetics.

Environmental factors play a role - of course! If you're gay and have no gay siblings/cousins/parents, yes you're probably more likely to stay in the closet. If you have gay siblings then you maybe have peer support right on your doorstep, and so are more likely to emerge from the closet.

Even more the case for bis. Many stay in the closet forever because it is just easier that way.

by Anonymousreply 8303/30/2014
Need more help? Click Here.