Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Student's breakfast trashed for 30-cent shortage

DICKINSON, TX (KTRK) -- A 12-year-old Dickinson student's breakfast was tossed in the trash, because his account was short by just 30 cents. His mother is upset, so we went to the school district to ask questions about their policy -- one they say they stand by.

Jennifer Castilleja had to make an extra trip to her son's middle school in Dickinson Wednesday morning.

She said, "My son called me and asked me if I could bring him some money because they took his breakfast from him and he needed money for breakfast."

Her son, a sixth grader at Barber Middle School in Dickinson ISD is on reduced meals. He pays for his meals from an account that his mother deposits money into, but it was empty.

"I said, 'Well, I'm on my way, I'll pay for it,'" Castilleja recalled. "And she said no, I would have to bring some money before he could have breakfast."

The reduced breakfast only cost 30 cents, but the cafeteria server went ahead and threw the boy's breakfast away and sent him to class.

Castilleja said, "There were kids all around him. I think he may have been a little embarrassed and upset and, of course, hungry."

We spoke with Dickinson ISD and they said it's a policy they stand by.

"Dickinson ISD's procedure is that we do not allow student charges for breakfast. Many school districts follow this same procedure. Students get verbal warnings to let parents know once the account starts getting low. Written warnings are sent home to parents before money runs out."

Castilleja admits either her son forgot to relay the verbal warning or she forgot to replenish his account. Either way, she feels the policy should allow for breakfast charges that can be repaid.

"Or telling the child, we are going to feed you, but go to the office and call your parent and let them know that you need money," Castilleja suggested. "Anything than sending them to class hungry."

There's no word if Dickinson ISD plans to amend the breakfast policy. Castilleja took breakfast to her son and money for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 16611/10/2013

That sums up the current state of Texas. Hateful, spiteful, sanctimonious assholes who attach morality to a human issue like hunger. They would rather see a child - a CHILD - go hungry for 30 fucking cents than let go of their belief that it is the child and mother's own fault for being poor. These cretins are revolted by the mere idea of helping the poor - adult or child.

by Anonymousreply 111/07/2013

It's what Jesus would have done.

Oh, wait, no it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 311/07/2013

Have you ever been 12, R4? I doubt it. I think you've always been a crotchety old bat.

by Anonymousreply 611/07/2013

If the kid is eating breakfast at school, isn't that a sign that he comes from a family with money problems? For all we know, school policy sets a minimum $$ reload on the account that the family didn't have. For some people, coming up with $5 is a juggling act.

Feed the child.

by Anonymousreply 711/07/2013

Why is this here? Was any of-age cock presented?

by Anonymousreply 811/07/2013

[quote]If the kid doesn't have the money for a meal and hasn't brought one from home, the cafeteria ladies fix him a cheese sandwich or something. He just can't have the government-approved meal.

But that's not what happened. Did you even read the article? They threw his breakfast in the garbage because he was 30 cents short. They were prepared to let him go without food until his mother came in with more money.

by Anonymousreply 911/07/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1011/07/2013

Again, he's 12! A child. I certainly didn't have my act fully together when I was 12 and I doubt this kid does either.

His mother should have been on the ball, yes, and ultimately it's her responsibility. But the lunch lady should have had a fucking heart and dealt with his account balance another time.

This is breakfast we're talking about. Food. Something essential to life and good health. It's not a luxury item.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

by Anonymousreply 1211/07/2013

I grew up poor in Scotland, so my lunch was free. If you forgot your card occasionally, they'd let you eat and punch it the next day. If you habitually forgot or lost it, they would turn you away to teach you a lesson. If that had happened to me and I'd told my mother, I'm sure her answer would have been "then don't forget it the next time".

12 is old enough to remember your lunch card or lunch money.

by Anonymousreply 1411/07/2013

r16, are you poor? This child comes from a poor family. Again, coming up with $$ may be a juggling act for them. Either way, a child shouldn't be punished.

And if you think the child SHOULD be punished, have you ever eaten one of those godawful school meals?

by Anonymousreply 1711/07/2013

R23 to domestic violence victim: "What did you do to make him hit you?"

by Anonymousreply 1811/07/2013

I think you're lost, R18

by Anonymousreply 1911/07/2013

Directed at r2.

by Anonymousreply 2011/07/2013

I think the point is that they'd rather throw it away than let him run a tab.

by Anonymousreply 2111/07/2013

That was so fucking evil, but it did happen in Texas...

by Anonymousreply 2211/07/2013

Shouldn't have happened -- either the trashing of the breakfast OR the hysterical overreaction.

What in holy fuck is Mommy doing rushing back to the school like Mighty Mouse with 30 cents in her fist? The kid's not going to turn into a Biafran orphan by missing one breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 2311/07/2013

Dickinson is a shithole for the most part. Blue collar or just downright poor. Most schools offer free breakfast down here for qualified children.

by Anonymousreply 2411/07/2013

I came from a middle-class background and, growing up,I never worried about where my next meal was coming from. When I moved out on my own, at age 19, I learned how easy it is to run out of money right before payday. I'd made dinner out of potatoes because a 5-pound bag was 99 cents.

In the 80's, just out of college, I went to work for the Southland Corporation, parent company of 7-Eleven. Part of my training was to go work in a store, including the graveyard shift. Every once in awhile, I'd get someone, old, young, who ran a little short. Rather than humiliate them, I'd tell them not to worry about it, and after they left, I'd dig into my pocket and make up the difference. Sometimes they'd come back and pay me, most times not. Every time, however, they would sincerely thank me.

I'm 56 now, making a decent living, and I still recall what it like not to have enough money to buy a decent dinner.

I've been to Dickinson, TX, and there's a church on every other corner. How sad that nobody stepped forward to help out that young man, and that the cafeteria worker was so cold-hearted not to let it slide.

by Anonymousreply 2511/07/2013

It seems pretty spiteful to throw a meal into the garbage rather than giving it to a hungry child, all over 30 cents.

by Anonymousreply 2611/07/2013

R25 - I used to work at a 7/11 too. On one graveyard shift a teenage brother and sister came in and tried to return some merchandise they said they bought. We didn't carry that product and I told them sorry, no go. The girl sighed and said, "OK, look, my brother and I haven't eaten all day. Our Mom left and we're alone and we're hungry. We don't want money, we just want food."

I was about to throw away a bunch of those burgers and hot dogs 7/11 used to sell so I told them to just help themselves. They took a couple of burgers each and I wrote them off.

I probably would have been fired for that if I had told my manager. But I didn't. It was the right thing to do so I just did it.

P.S. You'd be shocked how much food convenience stores throw away. Sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2711/07/2013

There are some vicious, selfish people on this thread. Fortunately there are thoughtful, generous people here as well.

Water seeks its own level.

by Anonymousreply 2911/07/2013

r28 = Ted Cruz sycophant

by Anonymousreply 3011/07/2013

I have never used the word "freeper" before, R28, but you, sir, are a freeper. May you choke on your sense of "personal responsibility" somewhere down the line.

by Anonymousreply 3111/07/2013

[quote] How do you know they hadn't been giving him breakfast for two weeks without his card bring replenished?

Don't you think the school would have mentioned that? You know, to try to defend their behavior.

by Anonymousreply 3411/07/2013

1. Obviously this kind of situation, the money shortage, will happen to most any kid into eternity.

2. Throwing the breakfast in the garbage and turning the kid away, WHATEVER CIRCUMSTANCE, is a ridiculous, stupid, cruel 'solution'.

3. The parent should be allowed to make up the difference afterward.

by Anonymousreply 3511/07/2013

In this situation, obviously, more guns are required.

by Anonymousreply 3611/07/2013

R28 let's examine the 'life lesson' thought for a second. Wouldn't they have learned the same lesson had the cafeteria worker given him his breakfast, and then notified the principal? The principal could then have sat down with the mother and the son privately to resolve the situation. I don't think public humiliation ever serves a good purpose, yet allowing both the mother and the son to retain their dignity does.

by Anonymousreply 3711/07/2013

R2 is a paranoid blame-the-victim loon.

by Anonymousreply 3811/07/2013

R36, that is true but I forgot to add it.

by Anonymousreply 3911/07/2013

I'm glad some of you won't be raising children.

by Anonymousreply 4011/07/2013

[quote]I don't think public humiliation ever serves a good purpose, yet allowing both the mother and the son to retain their dignity does.

I don't know how much dignity there is in rushing to bawl to a TV station when it's your own fault.

And, yes, I think they should've given the kid the food and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 4111/07/2013

I do have a question. If the mother was able to rush up to the school does that mean she is a stay at home mom or what? If so, couldn't she feed the kid at home even cheaper?

by Anonymousreply 4311/07/2013

They'd rather it rot. That shit is evil.

by Anonymousreply 4411/07/2013

It seems nonsensical to waste the food. Even when he paid up, another meal would need to be made, so the school would still be out the cost of one meal. May as well have given the kid the first one free and had him call his mum (as he did on that day) to say that he'd be without breakfast next day unless they paid up.

by Anonymousreply 4511/07/2013

This is what happens when schools "outsource" their cafeteria operations to private, for-profit companies.

by Anonymousreply 4611/07/2013

Throwing food away. Disgusting school, disgusting Administrators, disgusting f****** state.

by Anonymousreply 4711/07/2013

Going back to the 60s here….but my family didn't have a lot of money and paying for hot school lunches were out of the question, and we brought a bagged lunch from home.

If you had forgotten bagged lunch or money for school lunch, you were made to take an IOweYou> basically a voucher to pay for a school lunch that your family was responsible to pay back. I don't really know where they would have drawn the line and not given the IOU.

I also know I got my ass whopped when I forgot my bagged lunch because my parents hated the IOU, which kind of cast a "We are poor" light on us.

by Anonymousreply 4811/07/2013

The school cafeteria worker insisted the child's subsidized breakfast was thrown away with the kindest of intentions and wasn't meant to distress the child. Keep in mind, there's always food for the needy and as with all free food, everyone identifies as needy.

As it stands today, attendance at a public school should include free food for all students and the tax base should be taxed accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 4911/07/2013

Sure, pick on Texas, one loon acts as a loon and everyone, all 26 million in the state of Texas are "spit upon" worthy.

by Anonymousreply 5011/07/2013

Food in school(K-12)should be free, period. It also should be healthy and as fresh as possible and not from some multi-death corporation like Sodexo, who by the way also supply PRISONS with food. Get rid of vending machines as well. Wasting food is one of the worst things going on in this country. We throw out more than half of the food produced in this country. This includes some hole in the wall grocery store to Whole Foods. I worked at a convenience store/gas station and would save as much food as possible for people who appreciated it. I worked all parts of the store so the boss wouldn't even have to come in most of the time. This would allow me to bag up (sometimes individually) the shitload food we'd throw out. Couldn't give it away due to some laws about liability. The recipients were good at keeping everything on the down low, then came the fateful day with the boss coming in unannounced . I was in the dumpster area and passing out the goods when I heard the bosses truck pull up. Made eye contact and continued to pass out the food. He walked right by and kind of winked. Later, expecting to be fired or lectured, he called me in and told me that he didn't see anything. Warned me to be careful for higher ups coming around and he agreed that wasting food made him sick. He came from a poor family. This guy was a very conservative white guy who was in the Vietnam war and had some racial issues as well as the gays, yet he was still a fair guy. That day I had more respect for him than I do for most others. In short, that school is fucked for throwing out that crap food for a "punishment". For shame

by Anonymousreply 5111/07/2013

While I agree with the majority here, the bigger question is why are the schools serving breakfast ?...I understand lunch, but why arent the parents feeding their kids at home ? Whats next ? Dinner ? At some point parents need to take responsibility for their kids. Schools are learning institutions, not baby sitting services. The biggest problem with schools today is that parents expect them to raise their kids for them.

by Anonymousreply 5211/07/2013

r52, if you read the recent press about the unintended consequences of welfare reform, you'll see that the 1996 Act resulted in fulltime jobs that don't pay a living wage. So you have parents working yet not making enough to feed their kids three squares per day. My friends who are teachers have students who can't focus during morning classes because they're hungry. Sure, some parents are delinquent but many are trying as hard as they can. The kids shouldn't pay for their parents' or politicians' mistakes. During the summer months, some kids go hungry w/o school meals. It's heartbreaking. Organizations like NY's Food for Survival wind up lining the pockets of their administrators. So schools are the food source of last resort for children. Now w/ the food stamp cutbacks, it will only get worse for them.

by Anonymousreply 5411/07/2013

There are a lot of self-righteous fraus and bitter queens on this thread who are trying to justify letting a 12 year old child go hungry by reiterating some version of "fair is fair". I suspect they are mostly lower middle class / working class themselves, with little or no post secondary education. They remind me of the working class fools who vote (against their own interests) for Republican candidates. I could be all wrong here, but I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 5511/07/2013

Worked many years in an urban school district. almost all of my students were eligible for free meals, breakfast and lunch. What does it matter if the parents were salt of the earth hard working poor, single parents, drug affected, negligent, whatever?

We should not allow children to go hungry in order to punish adults or make political points. Hungry, disaffected children find it hard to focus in class.

One other point, have any of the hard liners on this thread been hungry? Not for a meal, but as a condition of daily life?

by Anonymousreply 5711/07/2013

R56 is EXACTLY the type of bitter queen/angry frau I was talking about in my post.

by Anonymousreply 5811/07/2013

Hold the mother and son 'accountable'? For 30 FUCKING cents? Some people have no humanity left. The issue here is that the breakfast was taken away from a probably hungry child over 30 damn cents. There was not one adult in that cafeteria on that day that could have coughed up that 30 cents so the kid could eat? Disgusting.

If you think this is OK, you haven't experienced real hunger that you can't do anything about.

by Anonymousreply 5911/07/2013

What kind of vile creep advocates throwing away a perfectly good meal, rather than feeding it to a hungry child who is standing right there waiting for it?

Seriously, who are you people and what are the terrible things that were done to you to make you this way?

by Anonymousreply 6011/07/2013

[quote] There was not one adult in that cafeteria on that day that could have coughed up that 30 cents so the kid could eat?

Unfortunately most school cafeterias no longer accept cash. Each student must have a prepaid account from which the daily amount of food they receive is deducted.

by Anonymousreply 6111/07/2013

Please explain the question, r62. Why wouldn't it be?

by Anonymousreply 6311/07/2013

You're free to pass right on by any thread that does not interest you, R62.

Perhaps it is here to show just how incredibly wrong and incompetent privatization of some industries, and ANYTHING having to do with public schools, can be.

by Anonymousreply 6411/07/2013

I think a better question, R62, is why are YOU here?

by Anonymousreply 6511/07/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6611/07/2013

It's hard to believe that the person serving the kid didn't throw in the thirty cents until the kid's mother showed up. Letting a kid go hungry AND humiliating him at the same time is unacceptable to me. Where's the heart?

by Anonymousreply 6811/07/2013

[quote] Society has responsibilities, but so do you!

Thie discussion on this thread pertains to a CHILD who was deprived of his breakfast over thirty cents. At school.

You sound like a real asshole, R69.

by Anonymousreply 7011/07/2013

[quote}This kid has probably been pulling this a number of times, and the cafeteria finally got fed up. They can't tell you they've been illegally waving him thru the line before.

Really? So that makes it OK to let a kid go without breakfast, I guess. Because the kid has been pulling one over on a cafeteria worker to get a free shitty breakfast.

[quote] He is not dirt poor - he couldn't be bothered making sure mama filled up the account (or mama couldn't be bothered). Why is no-one blaming mama for not paying attention???

How do you know he's not "dirt poor"? Is he only "dirt poor" if he comes to school stark naked? If he's starving to death? What? Why do you need to "blame" his mother? Is is possible she didn't know, because schools aren't always all that great at notifying parents? Does it matter?

And what's with the "mama" thing? Is this racism or classism at work?

Qualifying for a 30 cent meal = "dirt poor" by any non-lunatic Freeper standard. School lunches were five or six times that for us unsubsidized kids back in the 70s. And they were a lot more generous with the free ones back then. Because now, everyone's obsessed with making sure "mama" is "taking personal responsibility" for being dirt poor, so not that many kids get totally free food anymore.

[quote] If you let it slip all the time everyone will do it.

You mean like all those welfare whores like Exxon, BP, western cattle ranchers, the corn industry, the rest of U.S. agribusiness, the banks, the airline industry, the cable industry.... need I go on?

[quote] I'm a liberal, a liberal who thinks society should help out,

Sure you are, honey.

[quote] but those in need are required to help out; watch the level on the lunch money account, dammit. Society has responsibilities, but so do you!

And they really drove their point home by throwing that kid's breakfast away in front of him. That'll larn 'im! He won't make the mistake of being a poor 12 year old again!

Go fuck yourself, you sad, pustular Freeper cretin.

by Anonymousreply 7111/07/2013

So lacking in compassion and basic human decency; and these people are in the Education sector...

by Anonymousreply 7211/07/2013

R73 Do you not understand or care that a CHILD, even an 'irresponsible' one, deserves to EAT?

What a narcissist you are.

by Anonymousreply 7511/07/2013

[quote]Wasting food is one of the worst things going on in this country.

More food is wasted in elementary and high schools than anywhere else in the country. Since nutrition rules were changed before the last school year, kids are forced to take "healthy" foods whether they want them or not. Many kids go straight from the cashier station to the trash bins, throwing out vast amounts of fruits and vegetables before they even sit down for the bulk of their meal. Then they complain that they're hungry the rest of the day.

by Anonymousreply 7611/07/2013

r69/r74, you are creating facts not in evidence. The article says his account was short by thirty cents, and that the breakfast cost 30 cents. If accurate - and these are the facts we are using - then it means he wasn't getting a "free ride" for 20 meals or so, as you imagine. Are you unable to read facts and draw conclusions based upon those facts without creating an entirely fictional narrative of resentment toward a 12 year old kid who missed breakfast because he was short 30 cents?

Since you have already invented facts in the story to fit this idea you have, I don't believe your poverty sob story, either. But even if true, it apparently taught you nothing other than to be resentful and angry at other poor people. You exhibit the same mean, small minded, selfish mindset that is destroying the U.S.

Because it's obvious to anyone without an agenda like yours that there are clearly other ways of handling the financial issue presented here than throwing away the kid's food.

by Anonymousreply 7711/07/2013

You can go to the school's FB page and let them know they're going to burn in hell for not feeding this kid.

Shameful. Just shameful.

by Anonymousreply 7911/07/2013

This sounds like a lot of work on the school's part for a $0.30 meal. Staff to give verbal notices of account balances; staff to generate and distribute written account balances; asking the principal to get involved to talk to the mother and son about more effectively managing their account balances. The kid was hungry - feed him and let him bring the $0.30 tomorrow along with replenishing his account balance. I cannot tell you how much we let "go" because it costs more in effort to collect than we ever could gain. We'd much rather put our resources in collecting the real money.

by Anonymousreply 8011/07/2013

R81 You don't have an ounce of compassion.

by Anonymousreply 8211/07/2013

If he is getting a school breakfast for 30 cents he's a damn sight closer to "dirt poor" than most of you bitches are. That's practically a free meal. I don't know how far below the poverty line his family has to be to get a free lunch, but I'm certain none of us would care to try to get by on such a paltry amount.

by Anonymousreply 8311/07/2013

[quote]You can see their point;

No, actually, I can't.

by Anonymousreply 8411/07/2013

R85 Wal-Mart greeter with big dreams.

by Anonymousreply 8611/07/2013

r52, schools have been serving breakfast for 30+ years, where you been?

Poor wages, rabid anti-family planning Christo-fascist government representatives, and a poor labor market contribute to hungry children.

Both my parents were public middle school teachers, and observed that attendance and performance metrics were raised by supplying breakfast (and lunch) free to students who qualified, who otherwise would probably go without.

Boy, these dim-witted, and heartless responders are sickening.

by Anonymousreply 8711/07/2013

r85, you really don't see anything wrong in throwing the food in the trash instead of letting the kid eat it?

by Anonymousreply 8811/07/2013

can't anyone responsible with the smallest bit of authority (such as the cafeteria worker) realize the are employed to provide helpful service and not to punish the people they are there to serve?

embarass the child... waste a tray of food... find fault with parenting skills... OVER A MEAL ALREADY PAID FOR (...minus 30 cents...) BY THE DISTRICT?

This is a situation where help can be provided first and the problem solved afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 8911/07/2013

R90 It takes a big man to deprive a 12 year old of breakfast.

Stay strong.

by Anonymousreply 9111/07/2013

Yes, he should have had the 30 cents. But, he didn't. So instead of feeding him, they tossed good food into the trash. What sense does that possibly make?

by Anonymousreply 9211/07/2013

We hate children! They are frau crotch droppings! They are hell spawn! I never want kids! They are spoiled brats! "Won't somebody think of the children?" (said with an eye roll).

Some kid gets his breakfast taken away and suddenly all DLers rip off their clothes to expose the superhero outfit underneath and they fly to the rescue of the poor helpless child! How dare people do this to a poor child!

by Anonymousreply 9411/07/2013

R93 Stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9511/07/2013

R93, get a pair of chopsticks and poke your eyes out with them.

by Anonymousreply 9611/07/2013

Texas HATES poor children.

by Anonymousreply 9711/07/2013

[quote] This is a situation where help can be provided first and the problem solved afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 9911/07/2013

R100 = Barbara Bush

by Anonymousreply 10111/07/2013

Fucking evil cunts in TX.

by Anonymousreply 10211/07/2013

R93, if you're angry at the mother - fine. Be angry at her, it's irrelevant to the discussion.

The food was there, the kid was there. No one with an IQ above 20 throws out the food to spite the kid and his mom.

by Anonymousreply 10411/07/2013

Yes r103, to the extent that they run the country's largest hate group - the GOP. And this certainly is in lockstep with the Republican Party ethos.

by Anonymousreply 10611/07/2013

R105 = Gov. Rick Perry

by Anonymousreply 10711/07/2013

You're a moderate liberal, R105 and yet your first assumption is that the mother is some entitled, lazy, welfare queen, taking free breakfast from the government so she can spend it on her nails. When we've heard nothing of the sort. Suffice to say if the kid is getting breakfast for 30 cents, I'm assuming the family is very poor and not living high on the hog.

Mistakes happen. So the mother and kid forgot to keep the account current. So the mother would have owed back 30 cents which would have been easily paid back the next day. Without humiliating the kid, the mother and wasting food.

by Anonymousreply 10811/07/2013

R107 Rick wishes he were me

by Anonymousreply 10911/07/2013

Well that will certainly teach that kid not to reincarnate as a poor, hungry shit head.

by Anonymousreply 11011/07/2013

[quote] Parents are running up huge debts to [bold] outside private for-profit companies that school districts are outsourcing the work to [/bold] by not sending their kids to school with lunch or the money to buy lunch.

There, fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 11311/07/2013

I think the big story here is that the cafeteria worker chucked the food tray into the trash in front of the kid. Right??

by Anonymousreply 11411/07/2013

[quote]Parents are running up huge debts to public schools by not sending their kids to school with lunch or the money to buy lunch. If you follow this subject you can see some schools are having to resort to hiring collection agencies to get the money from parents.

What's a "huge debt"?

30 cents?

5 dollars?

10 dollars?

Is it some number comparable to the amounts given to the banksters? To GM? To the airlines, each time they can restructure through bankruptcy?

Because at 30 cents a day, if the kid ate every weekday for 40 weeks a year - not counting holidays - and didn't pay up, that's 60 bucks for a whole school year.

Is that a "huge debt"? Do you think it costs less than 60 bucks to collect it? How about to administer the program? Wouldn't it ultimately probably be cheaper just to have the kids pay nothing instead of some idiotic amount like 30 cents a day? Even if they're not, as claimed upthread, "dirt poor"?

I don't even want to think about the shitty breakfast "food" being provided to these kids.

r93: Typical Republican Freeper crank, always bitching about pennies that go to poor people, but can't wait to hand over hundred dollar bills to corporations to use as toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 11511/07/2013

There are times when it is necessary to make a point.

by Anonymousreply 11811/07/2013

This lazy kid needs to get a paper route.

by Anonymousreply 11911/07/2013

Reminds me of the horrible Catholic Jr. High I went to in the late 80s. They would take your lunch from you and throw it out if they saw you walking in the halls with your lunch, even if you were on your way to the cafeteria. Stupid cow nuns...yes I feel 13 again.

by Anonymousreply 12011/07/2013

Maybe the cafeteria worker noticed the Pop-tart crumbs around the chubby child's mouth.

by Anonymousreply 12111/07/2013

30-40 years ago, this would have been solved by an adult at the school giving the kid 30 cents.

by Anonymousreply 12211/07/2013

Yeah, but what adult working at a school has 30 cents to toss in these days?

by Anonymousreply 12311/07/2013

These dirty little Mexican kids need to get back into the fields. Education would just be wasted on them.

by Anonymousreply 12411/07/2013

Mighty Christian of them to toss food into the trash rather than feed the hungry. Mighty Cristian of them to publicly humiliate a child and then send him to class hngry.

THAT's why this is news. We live in a country that wears its MORALITY on its sleeve -- we must protect the sanctity of marriage or adoption from the gays, we must proclaim certain sexual acts against nature, we must not allow abortion -- but hold the mirror up to show their self-righteous hypocrisy about following the true Judeo-Christian ethic of helping others as you would have them help you, and suddenly morality is a non-issue.

You can't have it both ways, fundie freepers.

by Anonymousreply 12511/07/2013

Republican logic, toss the lunch!

by Anonymousreply 12611/07/2013

I do understand the policy but throwing away food. That's out of line.

by Anonymousreply 12711/08/2013

[quote]Yeah, but what adult working at a school has 30 cents to toss in these days?

Exactly. The most common job available at schools in my area are those for lunch room monitors - 2 hrs per day at $10 per hour.

by Anonymousreply 12811/08/2013

[quote]I am a moderate liberal who is tired of parents not being responsible and making excuses for their children

You are not a moderate anything and certainly not a liberal if you resent a basic safety net for the working poor and women with small children. We're talking about a 30¢ meal that wound up in the trash to the public shame of a young, hungry child. Not billions in government waste and fraud.

[quote]NOWHERE did it say that the food was thrown away in front of the kid. It said that the food was taken from him.

What is the distinction here? He was humiliated in front of his peers. We're you never a small child?

This thread is rampant with trolls.

by Anonymousreply 12911/08/2013

As a kid who qualified for the free lunch program (family on food stamps, mother ailing from diabetes & bed-ridden, alcoholic father, etc.) I feel for this kid. We had these huge red coupons that were punched every day. If we lost the coupons or forgot it, we didn't eat. Everyone who paid for their lunches/breakfasts made fun of us red coupon kids.

by Anonymousreply 13011/08/2013

"All you bleeding hearts"

"Wake up people!!!"

This is Freeper talk^

by Anonymousreply 13111/08/2013

"Whatsoever ye do to the least of my brethren, you do unto me." Somewhere, Jesus is weeping.

by Anonymousreply 13211/08/2013

[quote]He was humiliated in front of his peers.

Another day at school.

by Anonymousreply 13411/08/2013

So we have come to this. The poor turn on the poor, the weak upon the weaker. Helped by the institution, policy, administration, state, whatever.

I am stunned by the lack of empathy in so many of the posts here. Irrespective of justification, rationalization, or perspective.

by Anonymousreply 13511/09/2013

And meanwhile, we subsidize the most profitable companies in the history of the planet to the tune of $4 billion a year, but we can't give a hungry child a 30-cent breakfast to teach him "personal responsibility." And when they create an ecological disaster like the BP Horizon oil spill, teatards think the government should pay for the cleanup, not the company that caused it.

Oh, if we could only apply freepanomics to the corporate world...

by Anonymousreply 13711/09/2013

We got it the first time R11/R14/R69/R74/R81/R11/R137. Now, go back to R57 and reread until you understand. Oh, and if you're a liberal, I'll eat my T-shirt. Someone suggested that the boy be given breakfast and then sent to the office to call his mother and let her know that he'd need money on the account for his breakfast and for lunch that day.

We have no idea what he had for dinner the night before, if much of anything. Maybe his mother works 2 or more jobs trying to get by. And children who are hungry can't pay attention in class. I worked in education for a decade and the time I was sent to evaluate a child who had been sent to school hungry, I made the principal go to the lunchroom and get the kid a banana and a carton of milk before I'd test him.

There is never an excuse for a child to go hungry. And in Texas, no one understands this better than Wendy Davis, who was raised by a single mom with a sixth grade education and was a widow herself at age 19 with a child. With any luck, she'll be the next governor.

by Anonymousreply 13811/09/2013

if his mom can afford a car she can afford $.30 for his breakfast.

they should have let him eat it versus tossing it in the trash.

wasted of food.

by Anonymousreply 13911/09/2013

r4, what if her bank account was overdrawn, and she COULDN'T have added funds to his card even if she wanted to? she will have to wait until payday, so sending notices home would have served no purpose if she had no way to refill the card. have you ever been poor?

by Anonymousreply 14011/09/2013

Get off your horse, R137, my partner and I are heavily involved in feeding the homeless, hungry, etc in our county

by Anonymousreply 14311/09/2013

What do we do?

The kid is there. The food is there. Feed the kid.

If we can afford 24 billion to shut down the government for a Republican tantrum, we can afford to feed kids a cheap lunch.

by Anonymousreply 14411/09/2013

Seriously evil cunts all over this thread.

Moderate liberal, my ass.

by Anonymousreply 14511/09/2013

What is reduced meals? I don't like the sound of that. I am picturing a child being told he can't have this, can't have that, to items he sees on his friends' trays. How cruel.

by Anonymousreply 14811/09/2013

Congratulations to all the posters who are responsible and law-abiding parents.

Now, imagine if YOUR child, the one YOU raised, was magically dropped into a family that didn't balance its household budgets or pay bills on time.

Would it be ok for YOUR child to go hungry a few times a month, when money was short and accounts went into deficit?

by Anonymousreply 15011/09/2013

R151, they liked your audition tape. You're going to be a cuntestant on the new reality show, Cuntiest Cunts of the Cuntisphere.

by Anonymousreply 15111/09/2013

School lunches?

My children could simply NEVER. We would all die of embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 15211/09/2013

This thread is filled with freeper troll assholes pretending they're "concerned parents" with their bullshit.

This is a simple matter. The food was there. The kid was there. Feed the kid. Any other choice is the wrong choice. The End.

by Anonymousreply 15411/09/2013

Oh, my. R151 R156, my most sincere apologies. I read you completely wrong. I thought you were making the case in R151 that kids whose parents didn't pay the .30 shouldn't eat, whereas you meant the reverse.

I completely take it back and fall on my knees in utter and abject shame.

Mea maxima culpa.

I hereby announce that R151 R156 is NOT a cunt. And he will not be appearing on any reality show.

by Anonymousreply 15611/09/2013

Thanks for that, R157. I saw you telling one of the bigots upthread to poke out her eyes with a pair of chopsticks (bravo!), so I was a bit confused by your response to me.

I just find the pettiness on this thread pretty unbelievable, and I don't even have kids.

by Anonymousreply 15711/09/2013

Something like this would NEVER happen in a Catholic school. I personally would have made sure that boy got a hearty mouthful that morning whether he had the 30 cents or not!

by Anonymousreply 15811/09/2013

To the moron who said the family had money if it was reduced lunch: a family of 5 only qualifies for reduced lunch at a household income of 34K. To get FREE lunch, you have to have more kids or less income. Chew on that, smartass.

by Anonymousreply 15911/09/2013

Why are we even discussing people who can't afford to feed themselves or their children?

That wasn't at issue here. The mother had the thirty cents. She just couldn't be bothered to keep track of whether or not she needed to send it with he son.

Do I think all kids should have enough to eat.

Sure do.

Do I think it should come out of the money set aside to educate children. Nope.

But apparently some of you think that all the kids who parents managed to send their kids to school with thirty cents should be penalized.

by Anonymousreply 16011/10/2013

Did the trash can had the 30 cents? Because it got the breakfast anyway. Which means that the school would rather waste 30 cents worth of food than give it to a hungry child.

And since this is Texas: what would Jesus do? Oh wait...

by Anonymousreply 16111/10/2013

R161 You are absolutely right, R161. Allowing that child to eat his breakfast would have punished all those other parents who paid the thirty cents!!!

Thank goodness justice was served by dumping that boy's meal in the garbage!!

Never punish the innocent, am I right?

by Anonymousreply 16211/10/2013

It was one 30-cent mistake, not evidence of systemic irresponsibility on the mother's part. Anyone who thinks wasting food to punish a poor kid because of his mom's forgetfulness is just not thinking this through.

by Anonymousreply 16311/10/2013

[quote]Anyone who thinks wasting food to punish a poor kid because of his mom's forgetfulness is just not thinking this through.

Thinking what through?

by Anonymousreply 16411/10/2013

[quote] It was one 30-cent mistake, not evidence of systemic irresponsibility on the mother's part. Anyone who thinks wasting food to punish a poor kid because of his mom's forgetfulness is just not thinking this through.

As has been posted in this very thread - it is a systemic problem. Large amounts of money are owed to school districts across the country - because parents send their kids to school without food or the money to purchase food. The school allows them to charge the mean, even the district in question allows kids to charge lunch. Parents aren't paying.

Where do you think that money comes from? The Free and Reduced Price Lunch Fairy? The Federal government? No it comes out of the local school districts budget.

So yes the parents who send their kids off to school without the money to buy breakfast/lunch expecting it to be charged - are penalizing the other kids.

How you think you can run any cafeteria with the policy that once the food is on the kid's tray - the kid gets to keep it whether or no he/she can pay is beyond me.

Let's not forget - the school allowed the kid to phone home to get money/food. The mother caused the problem and the school gave her a timely opportunity to fix it. That's reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 16511/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!