Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Whole Foods moved into my hood

God Forgive me, but I liked it! I just went in for some bread and walked out hours later in a fog with 2 bags of groceries. I'm not sure what happened.

And I liked it Mama, yes it felt good!

by How do they do that?reply 5611/09/2013

I hope it was really, really good for you because they emptied your wallet while you weren't looking.

by How do they do that?reply 111/06/2013

And it probably cost at least 50% more than your regular supermarket.

by How do they do that?reply 211/06/2013

One moved into mine as well, making it the 4th gourmet grocery store in a smallish town.

I try not to shop there, because I'd rather spend my money at the locally based stores. But I keep getting drawn back in for takeout food and the damn cookie bar...

by How do they do that?reply 311/06/2013

I typically walk to Trader Joe's for most of my food then go to Whole Foods and Fred Meyer for produce.

by How do they do that?reply 411/06/2013

Whole Foods is expensive even when compared to Central Market.

by How do they do that?reply 511/07/2013

Congratulations, OP!

You will live 37-½ months longer because you now shop at Whole Foods.

Eat More WHOLE FOODS and you will live EVEN LONGER.

by How do they do that?reply 611/07/2013

R6. We'll all live longer but we'll be fucking poorer.

by How do they do that?reply 711/07/2013

Thank you Jesus for life insurance!

by How do they do that?reply 811/07/2013

I go there for some specialty items I can't find elsewhere. Although infrequently because I'm not keen on supporting any Republican businesses.

On the bright side, lots of hot guys working the registers.

by How do they do that?reply 911/07/2013

I'm a sucker for their pizza bar.

by How do they do that?reply 1011/07/2013

Is Datalounge deleting replies now?

by How do they do that?reply 1111/08/2013

My post seems to have disappeared, too, R11. It was about cheese.

by How do they do that?reply 1211/08/2013

I heard Whole Foods is opening a store in DOWNTOWN DETROIT. How can that possibly be true? I thought they only open stores in affluent/well educated areas?

by How do they do that?reply 1311/08/2013

I love WF OP, don't worry about the any Marys here. Their milk prices are actually lower than supermarket prices.

by How do they do that?reply 1411/08/2013

Cookie bar?

Pizza bar?

Good god man. I wish I was unaware of these two exciting developments....

by How do they do that?reply 1511/08/2013

I shop at Whole Foods, but ONLY sale items.

Then I shop at either Trader Joe's and my local supermarket to supplement what's NOT on sale at WF.

by How do they do that?reply 1611/08/2013

Love how the TJ's people think they're "getting a deal". While some things at TJ's are a deal, a lot aren't.

And the secretive German family that owns TJ's also owns Aldi's and Lidl's.

Their foods are much more crappy than low end WF stuff.

by How do they do that?reply 1711/08/2013

It's not the prices I have an issue with. It's the Republican running the company. You might as well be ordering from Papa Johns or going to Chik Fil-A.

by How do they do that?reply 1811/08/2013

I like their olive bar.

by How do they do that?reply 1911/08/2013

R19. Which, late in the week, becomes a raisin bar. Get it? Raisin' the bar?

by How do they do that?reply 2011/08/2013

Time to move OP, next there will be a Baby Gap and Pottery Barn Kids....the neighborhood is turning....

by How do they do that?reply 2111/08/2013

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm love all the free samples at the salad bar

by How do they do that?reply 2211/08/2013

"2 bags of groceries" from Whole Paycheck = about $250.

by How do they do that?reply 2311/08/2013

I have to say, as a midwesterner, the produce there is better than anywhere else I've been— outside of local organic market in California.

Apples taste sweet and unique to their variety. Red peppers are tasty.

by How do they do that?reply 2411/08/2013

[quote]"2 bags of groceries" from Whole Paycheck = about $250.

This is bullshit. you can watch your budget here just like anywhere else. It only matters on WHAT you buy.

For one, buy from the bulk bins. here you can save money unlike other places that only have bags or boxes of crappy stuff.

Buy the cheapest cans of beans if you like. At .99¢ it can be cheaper- and better- than some brands in other stores.

I also recently discovered that if you don't need a whole 2lb cauliflower, ask a produce clerk and they will cut it down to 1/2 or 1/4 size for you.

etc. etc. Shop SMART.

by How do they do that?reply 2511/08/2013

[quote]Buy the cheapest cans of beans if you like. At .99¢ it can be cheaper- and better- than some brands in other stores.

Bullshit. I get a can of beans for 59¢ at a regular supermarket.

You must be insane to attempt to bargain shop at Whole Foods.

by How do they do that?reply 2611/08/2013

Love their Sour Patch Kids bar.

by How do they do that?reply 2711/08/2013

I prefer the Snack Chips bar at Walmart since it's free.

Put snack bag of choice in cart. Open said bag. Continue shopping while eating said snacks. Leave empty bag on random aisle shelf. Wallah!

by How do they do that?reply 2811/08/2013

How about their Fuck-Me Bar?

by How do they do that?reply 2911/08/2013

I only shop at Whole Foods. I find it disturbing to shop among the unwashed, poor masses at any other grocery store.

by How do they do that?reply 3011/08/2013

The difference R26 is that the shitty $0.59 can of beans that you buy at a regular supermarket is loaded with additives, preservatives and all sorts of shady shit. You pay more at Whole foods 'cause your getting a better quality of food.

by How do they do that?reply 3111/08/2013

Oh brother. Now I've heard it all. Some Mary is actually attempting to be snooty about her dollar can of beans.

If I could roll my eyes any farther, I'd need an exorcism.

by How do they do that?reply 3211/08/2013

I don't *hate* Whole Foods, but I don't think they're the be-all and end-all of healthy eating, etc. I like their challah a LOT. I don't like the attitude of many of their employees, though -- a weird mash-up of lackadaisical and smug. I can do without that and the super-high prices. Plenty of other options, now. Central Market. Trader Joe's. Sprouts.

by How do they do that?reply 3311/08/2013

Wallah?

(eye rolling here)

by How do they do that?reply 3411/08/2013

[quote]Bullshit. I get a can of beans for 59¢ at a regular supermarket.

I buy mine (America's Choice) for 69 cents.

You win!

by How do they do that?reply 3511/08/2013

UPDATE!!!!

I'm the OP and I did not mention that there is a Safeway of the Damned directly across the street. Literally a 3 minute stroll from door to door.

Today I had to go back to the market to stock up on a few items, so I went into the Safeway in order to avoid another scenario where I'm walking out of the Whole Foods in a daze.

I've been shopping at this hideous Safeway for years as it's really the only game in town in this part of the city. Today they had dozens of TASTING kiosks for all of their crappy foods! OMG! Their formerly brain dead employees were all smiles begging you to try their fabulous pumpkin cake! (dry and tasteless) Cheese and Turkey! (Processed and tasteless) Whoo boy Safeway is feeling the heat bitches!

Next week I'm going to fill up on those free tasteless pita and hummus chips and march my ass across the street to the Whole Foods

by How do they do that?reply 3611/08/2013

If you go to the Safeway at Broadway and 74th Street, give my greetings to the rats.

by How do they do that?reply 3811/08/2013

Whole Foods, at least in NYC, has amazing pastries that they bake right in the store.

My two favorites are the Almond Horns and a kind of Brownie with walnuts that is shaped like a large turd.

I also love their muffins, especially the Banana Nuts.

by How do they do that?reply 3911/08/2013

Do they have a cracker bar?

by How do they do that?reply 4011/08/2013

They do have some very nice baked goods, but I was surprised that they did not bake their own bread. The dreaded Safeway bakes their Bread on the premises and it's pretty good.

by How do they do that?reply 4111/08/2013

Whole Foods 365 store brand products are inexpensive and better quality than what you'll find at almost any other store. I don't know where this "Whole Paycheck" idée fixe comes from.

by How do they do that?reply 4211/08/2013

Beware the "seeds" on the Safeway bread...

by How do they do that?reply 4311/08/2013

There's nothing wrong with buying high-end foods that you can afford. If I want to buy fresh-baked bread, hormone-free meats, and organic vegetables, why the hell shouldn't I? They're better for me than processed crap from Wal-Mart, and much cheaper than the designer clothes and expensive cars that some people spend their disposable income on.

I just don't buy my high-quality foods at Whole Foods, the local Co-Op is better.

by How do they do that?reply 4411/08/2013

[quote]Whole Foods 365 store brand products are inexpensive and better quality than what you'll find at almost any other store.

Not according to Consumer Reports.

by How do they do that?reply 4511/08/2013

[quote]Bullshit. I get a can of beans for 59¢ at a regular supermarket.

Now [italic]this[/italic] is bs r26

Nowhere in California can I get this, nowhere. Does not exist, not even on sale at Safeway/Lucky's.

by How do they do that?reply 4611/09/2013

Food is overrated.

by How do they do that?reply 4711/09/2013

Yeah, I agree - the notion that Whole Foods is so overpriced is really outmoded and stupid. They opened a store in inner Detroit and it is thriving. They have great products at fair prices considering the quality. If you want cheaper food, you can certainly find it. If you care about quality and environmental stewardship, no one does it better than Whole Foods.

by How do they do that?reply 4811/09/2013

It ain't called Whole Paycheck for nothin. The regular supermarkets here who carry organic charge even more than WF because such products are "specialty" items. So if you wanna eat organic, you're going to pay through the nose someplace. If you eat GM foods, you're going to pay in other ways down the line...

by How do they do that?reply 4911/09/2013

So many complaints here, sounds like a poor people's problem.

by How do they do that?reply 5011/09/2013

Who's R47's A.O.?

by How do they do that?reply 5111/09/2013

R46, I recently saw 15 oz. cans of Van Camps beans (BBQ or original baked, both meatless) at Grocery Outlet stores in the San Francisco Bay area for 2/$1 -- expiration dates in 2014. I could have bought a single can for just 50cents, but I decided to splurge & got one of each flavor.

by How do they do that?reply 5211/09/2013

Wow this hits home! Now that I have resumed my normal breathing from giggling so much, after I've wiped away the giggle tears from my eyes, I have to say reading this particular thread has been the most fun I've encountered in the Datalounge in ages, especially the "Safeway of the Damned" comment!

by How do they do that?reply 5311/09/2013

Fly over state here. Canned veggies are frequently on sale for 39cents a can. This week end they are 3 for a dollar. "Best Choice" brand but still good quality.

by How do they do that?reply 5411/09/2013

That store at 74th and Broadway is Fairway, not Safeway, which doesn't exist in NY.

Fairway now has branches in NJ, Westchester and LI, so the B & T crowd should be gone.

by How do they do that?reply 5511/09/2013

op lives near the Castro. beautiful store, huh?

by How do they do that?reply 5611/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.