Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Virginia

Any long time residents of Virginia? Never lived anywhere close to VA, I can't figure why so many people voted for Cuccinelli. Especially woman.

Can someone shed some light on the make-up of the population of VA?

by Anonymousreply 6611/15/2013

Virginia is very much Southern hick country outside of the Northern Virginia/DC Surburb area.

That area has exploded recently to turn the state purple/leans blue but before that it was a reliably red state.

Not to mention the democratic candidate wasn't particularly likeable, a republican could have won if they weren't so tea-party extreme like Cuccinelli.

by Anonymousreply 111/06/2013

I understand it is swarming with the coloreds.

by Anonymousreply 211/06/2013

Lot's of them snake handling Christians

by Anonymousreply 311/06/2013

One-third military industrial complex fascist; one-third old timey racist redneck; and one-third immigrant from homophobic shithole country. And somehow Democrats almost win. It's a miracle, practically speaking.

by Anonymousreply 411/06/2013

I'm from McLean (Colin Powell and Dick Cheney live close by). I've lived there since I was born (though I've lived elsewhere for college, etc., and live elsewhere now). Arlington's pretty densely populated and liberal (they have excellent land use policies). Fairfax Co., which including McLean, has grown more diverse and liberal at least in the last 15 or so years. Not many African-Americans live in Northern Virginia, but plenty of almost every other heritage/nationality/ethnicity live in Northern Virginia. Loudon County, further out, is full of small businesses dealing with tech and/or security, and it's a sprawling mess in terms of land use. The schools are generally very good (though I went to school in DC). The rest of the state kind of lives on taxes collected from Northern Virginia. There's a lot of commerce there (Tysons Corner is a crazy retail agglomeration with two malls (one of which has the first Apple Store) and other shopping complexes, and just about every luxury brand has a store there except, I think, Louis Vuitton (I think they just have a store-within-a-store at Bloomingdales) and Prada (one of the malls, and a separate shopping area has Hermes, Cartier, Gucci, Ferragamo, etc.). But there are also plenty of normal stores like Macy's. There's no Target, but I believe -- and this is surprising -- they're building a high-density Walmart there (really weird for the area). Actually, that part of Fairfax Co. is trying to transform itself to be more like Arlington Co.'s main urban areas (which surround Metro stations) so that they're more walkable and dense. I don't understand how this is so, but Fairfax Co., Loudon Co., and (much more enlightened) Montgomery Co. in Maryland are often ranked among the 5 wealthiest counties in the nation. So overall, Northern Virginia is diverse (probably more diverse than even Los Angeles, where I live) and pretty wealthy compared to the rest of Virginia (except maybe the horse-riding areas further south).

by Anonymousreply 511/06/2013

Here's the main luxury mall.

by Anonymousreply 611/06/2013

This is the mainstream mall.

by Anonymousreply 711/06/2013

Here's a smaller retail place with Equinox and Hermes (Gucci's gone, it seems.).

by Anonymousreply 811/06/2013

Whoops - here's the place w/ Equinox.

by Anonymousreply 911/06/2013

2012's wealthiest counties.

by Anonymousreply 1011/06/2013

[quote]And somehow Democrats almost win. It's a miracle, practically speaking.

Or perhaps your uninsightful breakdown of the state is mistaken?

by Anonymousreply 1111/06/2013

R11=Charlottesville sneer. Actually, your powers of condescension don't work here at the 'Lounge. Yankees don't feel diminished by that sort of thing.

Large black population votes liberal. Tobacco Road working class hasn't voted liberal in a long time but Richmond, despite being an industrial corporate city, usually does. In Northern VA the liberalism is a fragile fairy flower. It's there because intelligent people can be found who vote against the various military-intelligence budgets that directly or indirectly provide their income, but it is hard to rely on it. That's why sometimes Virginia votes for literal clowns even when you would expect them not to based on past voting habits and demographics.

Oh, and then there is the Shenandoah Valley, which is more liberal than you might expect, owing to the many universities.

by Anonymousreply 1211/06/2013

In the SE Hampton Roads area, there is a strong liberal sensibility that often goes left in local elections but just as often right in national elections.

by Anonymousreply 1311/06/2013

Ugh. Woman vote for Cuccinelli. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 1411/06/2013

[quote]Not many African-Americans live in Northern Virginia

There are LOTS of A-As in NoVa. And it's LOUDOUN County, not LOUDON (as in Dorothy.)

by Anonymousreply 1511/06/2013

Of course, smart people from the military wouldn't always vote Republican, since GOP has proved very willing to cut their budget as exigencies demand (and it was probably to win Virginia that Romney promised bigger military budgets).

by Anonymousreply 1611/06/2013

It's infested with KKK-ers, OP.

This should explain it.

by Anonymousreply 1811/06/2013

Virginia in the year 2011

by Anonymousreply 1911/06/2013

I'm sure a good portion of the people who voted for Cuccinelli did so not because of his views but despite them, to send a message or to support the party. Ditto for McAuliffe. You can't assume people agree with candidates' views. A lot of people don't even know who's running until they see the names on the ballot.

by Anonymousreply 2011/06/2013

VA has a large number of Confederate sympathizing, ignoramuses who still talk about Yankees. Also, like R21 said they saw an "R" by his name. That's all they need.

by Anonymousreply 2111/06/2013

Outside the DC area, Virginia is nothing but inbred rednecks.

by Anonymousreply 2211/06/2013

I'm a former (northern) Virginian. As many have pointed out, once you leave No Va, you're in Jefferson Davis' "Deliverance" country.

But it's not all that simple. There are plenty of people in the backwoods who are not in-bred, but who are normal people seeking a quiet life.

And in the civilized parts of the state, there are plenty of Repubs, who imagine that once their party succeeds in eliminating the middle class, they will be billionaires, and not dumpster-divers.

by Anonymousreply 2311/06/2013

R25 has a good point that extends beyond Virginia. Republicans appeal to the ignorant with the lottery argument. They say you don't want an egalitarian society, because then you can't win the lottery (figuratively speaking, not literally - well, could be literal) and join the rich and famous. What they don't point out is that you have a better chance to get struck by lightning. Republicans appeal to an ugly undercurrent of human nature, the devil on your shoulder that tells you that you need to have more than someone else or that you should have better than everyone else - that the way to feel good about yourself is to be able to put down others.

by Anonymousreply 2411/06/2013

I really hope more liberals move to Virginia. It's purple now...

by Anonymousreply 2511/09/2013

Obama won Va 51.2 to 47.3, remarkably close to the nationwide popular vote. It's not just Northern Virginia that goes blue, so do Norfolk and parts of Richmond.

by Anonymousreply 2611/09/2013

[quote]Outside the DC area, Virginia is nothing but inbred rednecks.

Inside the DC area, Virginia is nothing but MIC fascists.

by Anonymousreply 2711/09/2013

I live in Arlington which is probably the most progressive city/county in Virginia. All I have to do is drive 20 miles and I'm in Hicksville. An ex-boyfriend lived in Harrisonburg and even that seemed pretty conservative despite being a college town.

by Anonymousreply 2811/09/2013

Lynchburg is of course home to Liberty University, ground zero for the "education" of evil little fundies.

by Anonymousreply 2911/09/2013

While Dems made some very public gains/wins in Virginia, it should be noted that the Virginia House gained GOP seats and now has a super-majority (2/3rds) Republicans there.

Again, basically mirroring the Federal Government at this point. I can only assume anything good will die in the VA House.

by Anonymousreply 3011/09/2013

NOVA is weird. It used to be super liberal, but now it seems like tons of Michigan are moving here. Michigan people pretend to be, on the surface, very socially liberal but almost always vote Republican. Literally everyone I meet here now is from Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 3111/09/2013

I lived in Richmond for several years in the early 2000's. They all wanted to go back to the days of hoop skirts, slaves, and "gentlemen callers". It was nothing for me to hear highly educated men and women use the "N" word in conversation. I hated it.

by Anonymousreply 3211/09/2013

Oh for Christ fucking sake, Virginia is not red or blue, it's somewhere in the middle. The urban areas, Northern Virginia and the Richmond area are blue. Everything west of Richmond is conservative with pockets of blue in Charlottesville, and the Roanoke/Blacksburg areas.

Republicans picked up one seat in the Virginia House, but the Democrats took one Republican seat so the numbers in the House are virtually unchanged. And they will remain that way because of gerrymandering.

Some of you people have absolutely no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Are their racists in Virginia? Yes there are. But there are plenty of racists in bright blue states as well. Virginia doesn't corner the market on racism.

Virginia has a wealthy, educated population that is far from perfect, but point to another state that is.

by Anonymousreply 3311/09/2013

East Virginia is a purple state because of its proximity to DC. West Virginia is still red and will likely stay that way.

by Anonymousreply 3411/09/2013

R36 - East Virginia is places like Norfolk and Virginia Beach. They are generally more liberal than he rest of the state (thanks to universities and a high proportion of black people). That's not near DC.

The area near DC is called northern Virginia or NoVA.

by Anonymousreply 3511/09/2013

R37, I'm talking about the whole state.

by Anonymousreply 3611/09/2013

Thank you, r35, for talking some sense.

Someone asks a political question on DL, and certain posters will always give the most facile, predictable, tiresome answers, as if they're being insightful/funny/breaking new ground. Again and again.

by Anonymousreply 3711/09/2013

R38 By east Virginia, you mean the state of Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 3811/09/2013

As every closeted Repug Cooch is a total bottoms and loves big dicks!

by Anonymousreply 3911/09/2013

"Virginia has a wealthy, educated population that is far from perfect, but point to another state that is."

Almost electing a psychotic is not simply a matter of being less than perfect. But if being defensive is more important to you than figuring out what's actually going on in your home state then by all means, defend away. You're the one that has to live with your wealthy, educated neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 4011/09/2013

What's your opinion of the folks in New Jersey R42.

by Anonymousreply 4111/09/2013

my partner was born in manassas went to school in farmville and has grandparents in Staunton.

Once you leave No Va, or Charlottesville or VA Beach and venture into the boonies it's seriously Country/Redneck.

They have Hollows, pretty wack.

by Anonymousreply 4211/09/2013

i know a virginia. she's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4311/10/2013

R1, do you understand America. Throughout much of America, women vote for conservatives because, well, many women are conservative. That is why Republicans rule half the nation.

by Anonymousreply 4411/10/2013

It is also important to remember that McAuliffe came with a lot of baggage. A lot of McAuliffe voters were just voting against Cooch, not because of some great love for McAuliffe. And the same thing can be said about the other side who were voting against McAuliffe because they didn't trust him and he's an outsider, and Cooch was the devil they knew. A lot of people just stayed at home.

And also let's not forget, Cooch hammered down on the anti Obamacare stuff in the closing weeks of the race, that is probably what made the race closer than the projected 6-7 point victory.

Most Virginians are moderates. Bob McDonnell is just as crazy as Cooch, but he won because he ran as a moderate and the dems had a weak candidate.

I held my nose and voted for McAuliffe, a lot of other Virginians did too.

by Anonymousreply 4511/10/2013

McDonnell wasn't a moderate, his first order was to remove protections for gay people!

by Anonymousreply 4611/10/2013

Actually, once he was in office (and auditioning for VP, McDonnell governed as a moderate.

And r47 is right. This year a lot of people were either voting against Cuccinelli or against McAuliffe.

by Anonymousreply 4711/10/2013

Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, not surprisingly, has had a hard time recruiting/retaining students since the shooting. Therefore, if you want an easy doctorate, go there. They'll pay you a premium just to stick with it. They'll edit your work. And you are guaranteed a degree.

And, yes, we no longer hire VT PhDs because of this.

by Anonymousreply 4811/10/2013

"What's your opinion of the folks in New Jersey [R42]."

They elected an asshole because they are mostly assholes. Does that in some way make your home a better place or your neighbors better people? Or does it just allow you to continue engaging in the age-old Southern tradition of "See! The Yankees are bad too! So let's just wallow in our shittiness and get shittier by the day!"

Don't you ever just want to get better? To actually improve?

by Anonymousreply 4911/10/2013

R49, so you say offically declaring gay people second class citizens is "moderate"?

by Anonymousreply 5011/10/2013

Progressive Virginia = NoVA, Richmond, Charlottesville, and Roanoke. Having lived in the Pacific Northwest and Richmond, I can tell you the Richmond hipster population is on its way to rivaling Portland.

by Anonymousreply 5111/10/2013

I'm from the Northeast - but I graduated from The University of Virginia.

I always thought the differences between the DC Metro area and the rest of the state that th DC Metro area residents tried to draw were exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 5211/10/2013

Don't try to reason with morons like R51. He has his little mind made up and nothing is going to change it.

I'm not r49, but McDonnell ran as a moderate, and when he wanted to to be VP governed as a moderate, but he kept some conservative cred like removing the protections for gays and signing that tranvaginal bill into law. Let's just say that he wasn't as bad as he could have been, given his true feelings on gays and women.

by Anonymousreply 5311/10/2013

What's it like living in Charlottesburg?

by Anonymousreply 5411/10/2013

According to the best work of American history ever, "Main Currents in American Thought" by Vernon Parrington, the reason the South became a cesspool of ignorance and failure was a Virginia agrarian dirtbag by the name of John Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 5511/10/2013

You do realize, r51, that many people outside the US looked at the entire nation through that same facile lens through the Bush years and would have directed those same questions at you?

Think long and hard about it before you respond because I know it will take you a LONG time to get it, if you ever will.

by Anonymousreply 5611/10/2013

America is SO 133 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5711/10/2013

Yes, Virginia, there is a Virginia!

by Anonymousreply 5811/10/2013

"I lived in Richmond for several years in the early 2000's. They all wanted to go back to the days of hoop skirts, slaves, and "gentlemen callers". It was nothing for me to hear highly educated men and women use the "N" word in conversation. I hated it."

That is utter bullshit. I've lived in Richmond since the early 80s and I have never met anyone who "wanted to go back to the days of hoop skirts, slaves and gentlemen callers." And I've never heard any "highly educated men and women", and I've known lots of them, use the "N" word in conversation.

by Anonymousreply 5911/10/2013

Agree with R61. R34, that's a load of crap, unless you're talking about the surrounding counties/suburbs--Chesterfield, Hanover. There are, however, plenty of "old money" folks in Richmond proper who obstruct any effort to bring the city further into the 21st century. But they're a tiny percentage of the city's population.

by Anonymousreply 6011/10/2013

Cooch's mussy smells like vinegar

by Anonymousreply 6111/10/2013

Virginia is very southern

by Anonymousreply 6211/15/2013

I'd love to retire to Staunton

by Anonymousreply 6311/15/2013

R65 must be a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 6411/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.