Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will New Yorkers still be cheering Bill De Blasio 24 months from now? Likely not

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 13211/13/2013

Calm down, Cassandra.

by Anonymousreply 111/06/2013

Wow. OP is a freeper, an idiot, a loser, and a and prognosticator. It's a quadruple play!

by Anonymousreply 211/06/2013

[quote]De Blasio is... pro taxation.

Yes, he is pro tax on the wealthy who for ages now have managed to not pay their fair share. So unless you are one of the 1% living in a penthouse and smearing caviar all over yourself, you have nothing to fear.

by Anonymousreply 311/06/2013

Here you are...right on time...the morning after the election.

I imagine you racing around the internet the day after every major transition, proclaiming that we're all doomed.

Someone's got to do it, I guess.

(Or wait...maybe they don't).

by Anonymousreply 411/06/2013

[quote]We've elected an idealogue instead of someone who's both an administrator and brings social compassion

OMG! A politician who cares about poor people!

Anyway, why complain OP? You say yourself in your follow up statement that it's gotten progressively harder over the last 20 years-- two decades of Republican and "independent" mayors. By your premise, you're clearly screwed no matter who is in office and you'll have to downgrade your lifestyle or move out.

by Anonymousreply 611/06/2013

OP--If you're not a 1%er then your taxes will not go up. A city like New York is impossible without relatively high taxes. If you don't like it, there's always Houston or Albequerque.

by Anonymousreply 711/06/2013

What people say about themselves is different from what they could in reality be. So either she is a gold digger (so she just fucks around for money/power) or she's just bisexual who chose a more convenient hetero life.

by Anonymousreply 911/06/2013

He is not an idealogue. He is a liberal. And not even all that liberal. He does compromise and has a long history of it on City Council.

OP, not everyone who is liberal or a Democrat is an idealogue. The only real idealogue in politics right now are the Tea Party. Certainly not Obama- he is just a tad left of Richard Nixon and about the same as Nelson Rockefeller and the first Romney (Mitt's Dad).

by Anonymousreply 1111/06/2013

I never understood why she kept calling herself a lesbian. Just don't use a label that specific and call yourself queer or say you're bisexual. Anything else makes it seem like she's saying he "cured" her or something.

I doubt that much will change under DiBlasio. But if he's another Dinkins, he won't last more than one term.

by Anonymousreply 1211/06/2013

R5, if things have gotten so bad in the last 20 years for you, how is that de Blasio's fault?

by Anonymousreply 1411/06/2013

[quote]The top 1% in NYC pay 40% of all city taxes. NYC/NYS combined taxes are already the highest in the country.

That's a tricky statistic. What percentage of their income goes to taxes? As compared to more working class people, that is.

Billionaires like Bloomberg have tax shelters out the wazoo and the REALLY rich maintain residences in other places. (See the recent article in the New Yorker about one businessman who keeps, or rather has his assistant keep, a diary that records to the second how much time he spends in the city so we won't be counted as a resident).

by Anonymousreply 1611/06/2013

A recent report said in 2012 there were 19,000 millionaires living in the City of New York.

by Anonymousreply 1811/06/2013

Sorry, OP, but no heads on pikes likely under the new regime.

by Anonymousreply 1911/06/2013

[quote]The top 1% in NYC pay 40% of all city taxes

That's because they are vampiric leeches sucking an obscene amount of wealth out of the body politic for doing nothing that betters society.

This statistic shows only that they suck up and devour an obscene amount of wealth disproportionate to what they contribute.

"Yes I make $2 billion dollars but I give $1 billion of it to the taxman! That is half!! Woe is me! I'm a victim!!"

by Anonymousreply 2011/06/2013

Fuck off, wingnut idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2111/06/2013

I want NYC to annex Fairfeild County, Connecticut and Westchester County NY to broaden its tax base.

by Anonymousreply 2211/06/2013

[quote]Oh, to be able to march in lockstep, never question the status quo and tune everything out like so many others, life would be so much easier.

If we NYers who elected de Blasio were all marching in lockstep and not questioning the status quo, Christine Quinn would be our new mayor, you butthurt idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2311/06/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2411/06/2013

Lot more than 19,000. Hell, virtually every property owner in the city is a paper millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 2511/06/2013

No one is going to move their offices to Conn when the market is in NYC. The rich will continue earning more money then they have use for. The city will die without the middle class and working class.

by Anonymousreply 2711/06/2013

The rich destabilized the city and drove out innovators, artists, poets and kooks alike. Vampire tax.

by Anonymousreply 2811/06/2013

He hasn't even been sworn in and you are talking apocalypse. I hope he picks Bratton as Police Commisioner so the crime rate goes DOWN even more. He and Jack Maple were the originators of Comstat, after all. I never had a problem with Kelly until he went all Big Brother on us and wanted a surveillance camera on every lamp post. I admit I like to smoke a joint on my way home from the subway sometimes. I live in a quiet Brownstone neighborhood in Brooklyn and it was never a problem to find a dark street and smoke in peace. Now, I can never be sure if I am being watched. Or if I will be stopped. Yes, stop and frisk happens to white people too.I rent my apartment in a two-family and EVERY smell permeates the whole house so I can't really smoke in my home. Considering DeBlasio's hippie activist past he knows that smoking a little weed is not the end of civilization. And Bratton does too. Building affordable housing is also something important to me. I'm not talking about putting aside ten apartments for the "middle class" in rich bitch luxury housing and calling that progressive. And paying 1800 a month for a one bedroom in a sketchy neighborhood is not affordable in my opinion. This city also needs more independent Senior housing. Let's give the guy a chance. Clearly, New Yorkers of all types and incomes want a change from The Nanny and his bullying bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 3111/06/2013

People like R26 keep going on about the jobs these millionaires and billionaires create, yet where the hell are these jobs?

How the hell can the working class, and working poor, pay more taxes when they need their minimum wage jobs for their now outrageous rents, especially as many formerly working class areas are gentrified, Bushwick and LIC come to mind.

Even the local mom & pop shops have to raise prices due to their rents going up and also because they figure the new yuppie/hipster residents can afford higher prices. The only people doing well in gentrified neighborhoods are the real estate moguls and the newbies.

There won't be one area left for working class people to live. Working class people keep the city running, they work in service industries, in restaurants, hotels, they clean the wealthy residents 30+ million dollar condos and brownstones. Need I go on?

The rich politicians, and of course, the GOP, keep going on about "job creators" needing their tax rebates, so they can "create jobs", yet even more jobs have been offshored or totally eliminated over the past 10-15 years.

What happened to the company I used to work for is a perfect example of NYC losing their jobs as the already very wealthy CEOs still continue to make massive salaries and huge bonuses.

People like you need to hear others anecdotes before proclaiming that the 1% are truly creating jobs, they are not. Or if they do create jobs, they are creating low wage McJobs. What sort of jobs do you think Mitt Romney would have created? Romney's "millions of jobs" would have been low wage jobs in the service industry, most likely jobs at the companies of his other wealthy CEO friends. What a surprise!

I worked for a very old established company in the home sewing industry, the company has last close to 50-70 employees since the mid 1990s. They have slowly let workers go, even some workers who were only 3-4 years close to retirement. Department heads lying to these employees, telling these long term workers they were "making mistakes" and they were being let go. A few sued, they were paid out of court settlements.

Of course, this company kept every highly paid department VP, while now requiring the skelton crews in each department to absorb massive amounts of work.

The Art Department for example, which had 18 people at one point, doesn't really exist any longer, the remaining Art Directors, Assistant Art Directors and Photoshop experts are now required to work three weekends a month so they can meet deadlines. There is not one layout artist left, the ADs and others have absorbed that work. They had absorbed those jobs as well as the work of a photo editor, production managers and art department manager. One person had a heart attack in his 40s!

These remaining workers know how difficult it is to find a job in middle age, most have chosen to remain. They can no longer bill their weekend work as freelance.

Scenarios like this have become the norm in today's economy, but you just keep telling yourself these uber wealthy company CEOs are keeping jobs in NYC and that they 'need' to pay lower taxes.

Verizon made billions, yet have not paid any taxes. It's the same scenario which occurred a few years ago when GE paid their accountants 40 million so they could avoid paying their taxes!

You must be very young or just plain naive.

by Anonymousreply 3211/06/2013

He's married to ... a BLACK woman!

by Anonymousreply 3311/06/2013

[quote]I thought the garment industry was off-shored decades ago.

I guess you didn't actually read what industry I'd worked in, the home sewing industry, the pattern industry. There are two American based companies left which make patterns for clothing, home goods and crafts.

One of the top home sewing companies was absorbed by another one about 17 years ago, basically most of that company's staff were let go. All these pattern companies also had offices in Europe and Canada.

R36, that's A LOT of double talk and you know it.

Who in their right mind would put up affordable housing? When two bedrooms in LIC and Astoria can now fetch $3,500 a month, what real estate moguls actually want to build affordable housing unless they get massive tax breaks?

I was reading in last week's Times Real Estate section about some former downtown factory buildings becoming single family households for a few uber wealthy families, these buildings will be their second residences. IIRC, one family was froom Rexas. We hear more about these scenarios than affordable housing!

Most of the new housing going up in Brooklyn and Queens are luxury co-ops, condos and luxury rentals, all of these apartments are going up in once working class areas. They are being built in Bushwick, LIC, basically in any area where the residents can have a Manhattan skyline view.

When I was growing up, we knew where the wealthy lived, in the city they lived on Park and Fifth Avenue, in Brooklyn it was Brooklyn Heights and in Queens, it was Forest Hills. Most other urban areas, in any borough, were still affordable with a large stock of housing for people to choose from. There was also Mitchell-Lama housing. Stuyvesant Town was once Mitchell-Lama, we all know what happened there.

No one seems to be able to explain why NYC residents are experiencing this extreme change in finding an affordable place to live. It seems not one area will be left for working class people to live. As the gap widens, there will be more people struggling to remain here.

NYCHA is a shambles (it's currently run by a former Wall Street exec, a man with NO background in even managing an apartment building! Bloombucks strikes again!) and there are 10 year waiting lists, forget working class people ever getting into those places anytime soon.

Thankfully, many years ago I paid cash for my low priced co-op. I've been able to find steady freelance work in my field, many native New Yorkers aren't so lucky. For many people having to leave the state they grew up in and love, that is just plain disgusting.

Apparently many here aren't able to give anyone straight answers as to why there's now such a wide gap between working people and the very wealthy. I think I know, it's called greed. The handful of wealthy people I know have become even bigger misers, they are in a panic, they think they will become poor. These people can't ever imagine downsizing their lives, yet expect everyone else to do so!

by Anonymousreply 3611/07/2013

Let's all guess what kind of job r36 has and how much he earns!

by Anonymousreply 3711/07/2013

[quote]and if higher taxes chase rich people out of the city then who's left the shoulder the burden?

And where the fuck will they go? Set up shop in bumfuck? Live in a McMansion?

Fine. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 3811/07/2013

Aren't the obscenely wealthy usually obscenely selfish? Just going on a few hundred years of behavior as a reference. They are also shockingly narrow and boring.

NYC is being disemboweled of whatever made it interesting in the first place - it's diversity, creativity, spontaneity, grit...

by Anonymousreply 3911/07/2013

[quote]The rich will continue earning more money then they have use for.

you can never have too many hats, scarves, and gloves

by Anonymousreply 4011/07/2013

[quote]And where the fuck will they go? Set up shop in bumfuck? Live in a McMansion?

most went to Pennsylvania, the Poconos in particular

by Anonymousreply 4111/07/2013

"while things like the subway system become worse."

What specifically are you talking about?

It has become much safer.

It has become much cleaner.

The subway cars all have air-conditioning.

The lights no longer go on and off frequently as the rain moves through each station.

The subway trains themselves really work quite well. Yes of course there are breakdowns, but the system itself is over 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 4211/07/2013

OP is the Barney's salesbottom who called the cops on Trayon Christian.

by Anonymousreply 4311/07/2013

Surely we can all agree that NYC is past it, sterile and boring as hell, can't we?

by Anonymousreply 4511/07/2013

[quote]Where will they go? How about Greenwich, Scarsdale, Short Hills or Oyster Bay, where they can continue to commute to NYC yet avoid NYC income and property taxes. Again, who's left to shoulder the burden?

Sweetheart, NYC has ALWAYS had very wealthy residents. Always. They're not going anywhere. Yes, I'm sure all of those UES Townhouses and UWS Co-ops will all end up empty as if we're talking about a city like Detroit or a skyscraper in Dubai.

Get real.

by Anonymousreply 4611/07/2013

You're a concern troll, is what you are.

by Anonymousreply 4911/07/2013

"Freepity freepity freep!

Freepity freepity freep!

Freepity freepity freep!

Freepity freepity freep!

Freep! Freep!

Freep freep!

by Anonymousreply 5011/07/2013

[quote]one of the upsides or downsides (depending on your point of view) of the Giuliani/Bloomberg years is that far more wealthy people are interested in living in Manhattan

You're noting, then, that economic equality in NYC decreased at that same time that 'far more wealthy people' arrived?

Oh the shock.

by Anonymousreply 5111/07/2013

Joe Heller

True story, Word of Honor: Joseph Heller, an important and funny writer now dead, and I were at a party given by a billionaire on Shelter Island.

I said, "Joe, how does it make you feel to know that our host only yesterday may have made more money than your novel 'Catch-22' has earned in its entire history?" And Joe said, "I've got something he can never have." And I said, "What on earth could that be, Joe?" And Joe said, "The knowledge that I've got enough." Not bad! Rest in peace!"

--Kurt Vonnegut

The New Yorker, May 16th, 2005

by Anonymousreply 5211/07/2013

[quote]Wasn't this a question about whether we should have "soak the rich" taxes? Not sure how this became sidetracked into a housing cost problem. Is it your plan that if we just tax the rich out of NYC then the poor people will be able to live in the nice Manhattan coops? Occupy Park Avenue? In any event, not sure anyone is entitled to live in NYC, and stories of people not living as well as they grew up are not limited to NYC.

It's ALL tied in, though you seem to conveniently have side-stepped that fact! Higher taxes on the middle and working classes, lack of affordable housing, prices going up on every item you can think of...it's all tied in, dear.

Do you have reading comprehension problems? Nowhere did I state that the working poor should be living in Park Avenue co-ops, I DID say that in the past, the areas where the wealthy lived were clearly defined, now, not at all. Expensive housing is now being built everywhere and that's NOT such a good idea.

For example, the people who work in the service industry, need to be near their jobs in Manhattan, which means they need to remain in Brooklyn and Queens, so they will have a normal commute, mostly because they are on their feet all day and they do work hard. Getting to work shouldn't be a job!

Would you suggest these low wage workers find affordable housing upstate NY?! Or travel 2-3 hours, one way, to work everyday?

When I hear there are now $600,000 condos on Knickerbocker Avenue in Bushwick, where I lived until I was five, I have mixed feelings, I want laugh and cry.

You also don't appear to be a native New Yorker, which means you haven't experienced most of what I'm describing. You haven't lived through all the changes.

by Anonymousreply 5311/07/2013

They've said that he's not against the stop and frisk crap which is a downer.

by Anonymousreply 5411/07/2013

New Yorkers' favorite activity is tearing down other people, so he won't be immune.

by Anonymousreply 5511/07/2013

NYC's sharp Left turn.

by Anonymousreply 5611/07/2013

Bye, Felicia. No one will miss you.

by Anonymousreply 5711/07/2013

When was the last time your taxes went down, OP? If you live in NY, I seriously doubt if they ever have in your entire working lifetime. Yet you are suddenly "concerned" about taxes because the Giuliani/Bloomberg era is over? Why? Your taxes are going in the same directions they've been going; if you you make less than a million dollars a year in income, probably at a lower rate. Why don't facts ever matter to your ilk?

by Anonymousreply 5811/07/2013

...who did OP vote for then?

by Anonymousreply 5911/07/2013

Serious question: What happened to the rich in Manhattan during the bad years of the seventies? Did they leave, or did they just live in their own little bubble?

by Anonymousreply 6011/07/2013

[quote]This city's about to get impossibly more difficult to live in unless you're relying totally on welfare.

Suck shit out of a dead rat's ass, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6111/07/2013

They had a good time as usual, R61

by Anonymousreply 6211/07/2013

European observer here, so I'm not familiar with the issues of NY residents, but surely the answer to will New Yorkers still be cheering Bill de Blasio in 24 months depends on what he does in that time.

If he tries to do much of what he says he will in his manifesto, then probably not, because some of those ideas are very simplistic (e.g. taxing "the rich" to create pre-school or whatever places sounds nice as a soundbite but as a reality creating successful schools is a lot more than just about funding).

Apparently under 25% of the electorate voted in the NY mayoral election and de Blasio got 73% of their votes. So, it sounds like a big win, but he barely has the support of a fifth of the electorate.

If he tries to ram certain policies through, he will have problems. If he is balanced and listens and tries to listen to various points of view, then he might do ok. If he starts being too polemical against "the rich" he will create problems for himself.

by Anonymousreply 6311/07/2013

Only 24% of the electorate voted in 2009, so de Blasio actually increased voter interest and participation, R64!

by Anonymousreply 6411/07/2013

If the wealthy leave in droves, I'm calling dibs on Bunny Mellon's townhouse!

by Anonymousreply 6511/07/2013

Guiliani and Bloomberg worked hard to increase inequality and desperation for two decades, and the federal government, corporate world and Wall Street did it for three decades - de Blasio isn't going to be able to fix all of that destruction in 4 years, even if he wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 6711/07/2013

I'm starting to doubt that the r27,r36 even lives in NYC.

Anyone who thinks that the "rich" will just up and leave if their taxes go up - and we're not talking a "soak" here but an increase - is a complete fucking idiot.

Oyster Bay? Really? Mein gott, you are simple.

Sadly this is a city *only* for the wealthy right now and it's poised to stay that way. That's a fact. Everyone with money is desperate to live here if they don't already.

I work closely with the real estate industry and from my POV, the sheer volume of rich people buying here in the area is on an almost permanent upswing. Bidding wars erupt daily in new buildings throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn and now Queens, with anxious monied buyers paying cash - 900k, 2 million, etc. so they can own a part of the brand.

This. Will. Not. Change.

Which is beyond depressing. By any other standard my partner and I make great money. Our combined income is 300k. And *we* can't even buy in most areas convenient to Manhattan. Fuck, we just got outbid for a little 400k one bedroom in downtown Brooklyn because some bitch bought it for cash for her daughter.

So if they want it all for themselves, then let them pay more taxes. At least that money will be going in to something community based (schools).

by Anonymousreply 6811/07/2013

OP is some sort of naive suburban person. People want to be in NY, not the sticks, and they will pay for that privilege.

by Anonymousreply 7011/07/2013

WHET OP?

by Anonymousreply 7111/07/2013

[quote]He needs to create a supportive environment for businesses that provide job opportunities, and he needs to make sure the city is a clean, decent, safe place to live.

THAT is how I know you're a Republican. Yeah business under Bloomberg has boomed... if you're a giant corporation that can afford $300k/mo. rents. Small businesses are shuttering daily NOT because business is slow or bad, but because they cannot afford to pay the rents that are being arbitrarily jacked up to lure in more Starbucks, Subways, McDonalds, Walgreens, Citibanks, luxury condo development, etc. And that is 100% a 1% (Republican) ideal. They crow about being "for business" but the only business they mean is the already wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 7211/07/2013

C'mon back and defend yourself, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7311/07/2013

If we could only tax churches in NYC. Now that is progressive thinking. The real estate alone...not to mention corporations...why don't they pay their fair share?

by Anonymousreply 7411/07/2013

His biggest problem to solve is the effects of global warming on the city of New York, which Bloomberg has largely ignored...like the middle class.

by Anonymousreply 7611/07/2013

If you don't want him send him to London. I'm truly fed up of international investors turning my home town into little more than a nest egg. I empathise with you R70, I really do. London, like Manhattan, is now exclusively for rich investors. All this anxiety about the rich upping and leaving is fine by me. They don't live or pay tax here anyway.

by Anonymousreply 7811/07/2013

Somehow I think the city will survive this mayor, as it has all the others.

by Anonymousreply 8111/07/2013

Can we trade? Please?

by Anonymousreply 8211/07/2013

Why do you think this city is going to get impossibly more difficult to live with unless one is relying on welfare?

by Anonymousreply 8411/07/2013

R82, the rich did not become rich by spending money. As a rule you will not find a more tightfisted group of people. They avoid paying sales taxes through all sorts of shenanigans. They will refuse to pay bills so they can eventually make the trades person settle for a lesser amount. I could go on and on.

They give to the arts only to the extent that it is a tax benefit.

Also, they tend to travel more and to be more international. Unlike most people who shop locally, they are apt to make purchases when on business trips or on vacation, which does not help the local economy.

The middle class is really what drives the economy, not the rich.

by Anonymousreply 8511/07/2013

[quote]have great buildings designed

HAHAHAhahaahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 8711/08/2013

[quote]He was a Sandalista

Damn hippie footwear!

by Anonymousreply 8811/08/2013

"Sandalista", what Nicaraguans called the Revolutionary tourists, from Berkeley to Berlin, who came for Sandinista Spring Break.

by Anonymousreply 8911/08/2013

[quote]"The rich" create jobs not simply through their own businesses but in using and consuming the businesses and services of others.

Right!

by Anonymousreply 9011/08/2013

OP?

by Anonymousreply 9111/08/2013

Since every dollar spent by the hungry poor in food stamps gives a return to the economy of almost $1.80 de Blasio should borrow one of the things Weiner wanted to do. Give those on FS an extra 50 bucks a month that can only be used to by produce.

by Anonymousreply 9211/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 9411/08/2013

You need to stop denying that you're a Republican r96. Nobody believes it, and every five minutes you post another Republican screed and try to call it liberal. We're not morons, and you're very poor at gaslighting.

by Anonymousreply 9511/08/2013

Great article in the NYTimes last month about how London real estate has become a "global reserve currency" for the global elite. The same thing is happening in NYC. Urban real estate is becoming nothing more than an unburstable bubble for the rich to park their money (see: the art market). The city, and all of its citizens, suffer the consequences of this kowtowing to the Bloombergian oligarchs.

[quote]The moves are not examples of the life cycle of the striving middle classes. Nor are they examples of middle-class folks being thrown on hard times by the sluggish British economy. The families moving out had good incomes.

[quote]Matt, who had been looking for a house for more than three years, summed up the reason for leaving best: “I don’t want to be a slave to a mortgage for the next 25 years.” Given the astronomic rise in house prices here, he wasn’t speaking metaphorically.

[quote]This is what happens when property in your city becomes a global reserve currency. For that is what property in London has become, first and foremost.

[quote]The property market is no longer about people making a long-term investment in owning their shelter, but a place for the world’s richest people to park their money at an annualized rate of return of around 10 percent. It has made my adopted hometown a no-go area for increasing numbers of the middle class.

by Anonymousreply 9611/08/2013

I guarantee you that happy days are here again for the middle-class and the poor. Things will change for the better.

by Anonymousreply 9811/08/2013

Stop blathering on about London real estate. For christ's sake. This is supposed to be about NYC.

by Anonymousreply 9911/08/2013

Thank god we will have a decent mayor of NYC again. It's been so many years, I forget what it's like.

Any serious player in NYC who wants to live in the suburbs already does. If more go to the 'burbs - so be it. There are plenty more millionaires in the sea, just lining up to take that empty penthouse.

by Anonymousreply 10211/09/2013

r104, you know you live in Idaho in a one-room shack.

by Anonymousreply 10311/09/2013

It is time that the rich get the hell out of NYC. They contribute little to the people or the city and all they do is jack up the price for poor people like us.

We can live happily without them.

De Blasio said that he will freeze the rent for stablized renters. I am so looking forward to that. 2014 can't come fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 10411/09/2013

R20 This is how people lie with statistics. The top 1% in NYC probably also earn 80% of all city income. See how they come out on top?

by Anonymousreply 10611/09/2013

Welcome to the Datalounge, R108.

We cordially invite you to die in a grease fire.

Kisses.

by Anonymousreply 10711/09/2013

R110-

Please offer any rebuttal of my post. Any single untruth.

What? Crickets?

Oh, it's the sound of you being unable to actually engage in intelligent discussion.

When we reach 1/1/2014 and the total number of Obamacare enrollment is less than 2M people, you can play again. I wish you were smart enough to see what is happening today.

by Anonymousreply 10811/09/2013

So, r109, if the rich leave do they take their 80% of city income with them? Is it possible that they help to create that city income, and that, aside from their spending they also provide goods and services that creates that 80% of city income? How do they get this 80% of city income?

What would happen if the 1% and their 80% of city income left?

R105, you don't know if he's a good mayor as he hasn't even taken up his position of mayor yet. Let's see how things are in 24 months.

by Anonymousreply 10911/10/2013

Ha Ha R106 not quite.

Criminals will be vitalized under this mayor - can you say "Detroit"? I hope I am wrong...

However - I agree with some of the posters that NYC (Manhatten primarily) - especially under Bloomberg - has catered to the rich and is not a city for the "people" anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11011/10/2013

NYC seems to be becoming like Paris in the sense that the center of town (Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn) will be the homogenous area of rich whites/foreign money while the outer boroughs will be "everywhere else with everybody else". Not a good way to keep a city functioning.

by Anonymousreply 11111/10/2013

[quote]It's a reasonable question: if you own a small business would you be happy to have rich customers?

Not really. The rich are a pain in the ass. The do far more returns than the average person. They take up far too much time for a sale. They are always looking for a donation for their children's school, a charity, or whatever. I don't need the exposure, I get no benefit from it, and there is no tax benefit for me.

Sorry, give me middle class customers any day.

I think the problem is that there is this binary thinking that it is either the "rich" or "the middle class and the poor". It is not the rich, the middle class, and the poor as three separate groups. What tends to happen is that the rich and the poor get all of the attention and the middle class gets screwed.

by Anonymousreply 11211/10/2013

My rich customers pay on time, don't try to haggle me down, give me good, regular custom and respect me as a professional who knows what I'm doing. My middle-class customers always try to push the price down and delay on paying, while the type of work they want me to do is generally of a shittier standard and they are more likely to make nonsense comments about things they know nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 11311/10/2013

R109, the top 1% use 99.9% of their ill-gotten 80% only to enrich themselves. They contribute nothing to society other than perhaps some rich art charities like shows at a museum and such. Screw them. They are like the red states that want to secede. All those states do is take and give nothing back so let ‘em all go. We won’t do any worse without them than we’re doing now. The Federal government needs to stop feeding the top 1% including the war machines and give that money to the people. Then everyone will do just fine

by Anonymousreply 11411/10/2013

When was the last time a serious cultural player came out of NYC? Lena Dunham does not count. This is directly caused by the metastasizing of rich pricks in a once great city.

by Anonymousreply 11511/10/2013

"When was the last time a serious cultural player came out of NYC?"

Lots are coming out of NYC...literally. As other DLers have stated they all seem to be going west to LA or to other smaller US cities or overseas.

by Anonymousreply 11611/10/2013

Thanks, R119. This is a grievous error that these morons will only figure out too late. And it's basically irreversible.

by Anonymousreply 11711/10/2013

I know plenty of filmmakers of all age groups who left NYC and moved to LA in the past five to ten years. There is very little money circulating in the film industry in NYC (I don't count TV productions, since most of them just shoot here and then go back to LA). You can't make a decent living making films anymore. I will follow my colleagues soon. And the door does not need to hit me, I will gladly close it myself.

by Anonymousreply 11811/10/2013

If they aren't applauding him, it will merely be that he's been balked by the myriad plutocrats and sycophants in both parties who won't even sanction a restoring of the commuter tax (1% payroll tax on suburbanites who take our subways) to help by for MTA costs and who prefer to raise fares, thus hurting the poorest and most vulnerable--in essence a poor tax. If they won't stand for even the most modest of taxes, how can de Blasio finesse meaningful reform?

by Anonymousreply 11911/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 12011/10/2013

Agreed, R23. Even someone like Lady Gaga comes from money and went elite schools, all the while delivering a straight-faced spiel about how she "struggled" for her "art". Ditto poor little rich girl Lana Del Ray.

by Anonymousreply 12111/10/2013

I can't stand Lena Dunham and the trustafarians anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 12211/10/2013

The market is a religion. Don't ever expect any logic from the believers. If the last 30 years haven't clued them in, nothing will.

by Anonymousreply 12311/10/2013

I find it interesting and amusing that all of these so-called economic experts on DL actually think that .01% of the market can drive the economy. That is just not reality. We need a large middle class to drive the economy. This means that we need to curb our spending on the poor, and stop giving tax breaks to the rich. It also means that we need to create well paying jobs for Americans, by force if necessary, e.g. considers services such as call centers that are sent overseas imports and charge an import duty on each call.

by Anonymousreply 12411/11/2013

It depends on what you define as "rich", r127. It's not .01% of the market, whatever that means.

Oh, and the middle-class are also consumers - they may not appreciate having to pay distortedly high prices in order to use a call centre, which is what will happen if your idea comes to fruition.

By the way, is working in a call centre considered a well-paying, middle-class job in America? Surely good, middle-class jobs are more things like engineers, doctors, designers, architects, people who do highly-specialised production work (e.g. precision tool operators, aircraft assembly).

Those aren't the kinds of jobs you can create by charging import duties. In fact, they're the kinds of jobs you destroy by imposing import duties because the countries you export to will also add duties on to American products, with the result that they become less competitive and sales decline.

They're the kinds of jobs you create by making trade deals with foreign countries and focusing on specialised education and training.

by Anonymousreply 12511/11/2013

OK R128, you have illustrated the problem very clearly.

First, doctors, lawyers, etc. are not middle class. At best they are upper, upper, middle class. Middle class workers should be the average working person. This is part of the problem. There is this attitude that blue collar workers do not deserve a good life. Just to be clear, I don't mean that the average person should be able to afford a new car every year, an in ground pool, and a house in which every child has his or her own bedroom AND bath, but they should not have to work two jobs just to make ends meet.

The middle class will have to pay more for some items. I went through a Miles Kimble catalog from the 1950s. What struck me is that some items were the same price as today. Not the same price adjusted for inflation, the same price. This race to the bottom we call discounting has to end.

At the same time companies are going to have to learn to live with smaller profit margins. The profits that companies make today are obscene, and they are not based on making a better product or supply and demand. They are made by cutting salaries and benefits of the workers. It is the equivalent of losing weight by cutting off body parts.

The whole protectionism argument doesn't hold water as far as I am concerned. The protectionism policies during the 1930s actually helped many US industries that had previously been nearly exclusively imports. Quite frankly, I am not talking about flannel or door knobs made in Portugal, or toys and cars made in Germany, or leather goods from Italy. The problem is China. We should have pulled out the moment they started selling goods at below cost.

by Anonymousreply 12611/11/2013

R108 assumes he is going to be the beneficiary of creative destruction. Wait till it eats you alive too.

by Anonymousreply 12711/11/2013

[quote]engineers, doctors, designers, architects

Yes, yes, middle-class Americans can TOTALLY afford medical school.

Thanks for the laugh!

by Anonymousreply 12811/11/2013

Sorry r131, I come from Europe where in most places you don't even have to pay for medical school and then you get a job in a national health system, which gives you a reasonable income for your skills, not something extortionate. Doctors aren't categorised as the "1%" over here.

by Anonymousreply 12911/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.