Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Prepare for the annual insulting infantizing of gay adults by straight people who ask "are you going home for the holidays?"

IM 52 YEARS OLD, ASS HOLE. My home is where my things are.

Just because I chose not to breed and focus my life on spawn, doesnt mean I dont have a home - and just because my family may look different than yours, dont patronize me.

It is an insult to assume that a single gay person is lonely or somehow still a child who has to go to mommie and daddy over the holidays or be sad and lonely.

We do just fine. So, instead of asking "are you going home?" just ask if we have plans... or what our plans are - if you have no boundaries and/ or are just too fucking nosy.

Or better yet, fuck off entirely and go to Toys R Us. We will likely be at the Met or a great dinner party with interesting people with interesting careers who travel and see interesting things.

by Anonymousreply 12311/27/2013

Or we might be home alone, posting on DL, watching old movies. Just waiting out the holiday.

by Anonymousreply 411/05/2013

What did you wear for Halloween, OP?

by Anonymousreply 811/05/2013

Xanax and martini time, OP.

by Anonymousreply 911/05/2013

Oh, honey -- you don't get out much, do you?

When I lived in a big city, EVERYONE was from somewhere else -- subsequently, that question was asked of everyone who wasn't born there.

Home is often the place you're from, no matter how long you've been away.

by Anonymousreply 1011/05/2013

What R10 said.

by Anonymousreply 1111/05/2013

"... straight people who ask "are you going home for the holidays?"

OP, I think your workplace ruby red slippers and the stuffed Cairn Terrier are confusing them.

by Anonymousreply 1211/05/2013

OP/R13, you sound mentally ill.

R10 is correct.

You need therapy to deal with your severe mommy/women issues, old man.

by Anonymousreply 1511/05/2013

OP posts this irrational and unfounded screed annually. Guess his life has not improved since last holiday season, and once again, his family has not invited him home.

And, no, OP, you don't have a be a frau to notice that in big cities full of transplants, everyone asks everyone about going home for the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 1611/05/2013

OP is right and the rest of you are self-loathers. Gay people can be 50 years old and are still asked if they are going to their parents' for Christmas, which is never asked of hets.

by Anonymousreply 1711/05/2013

R17 Reason why the term "self-loathers" has become completely meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 1811/05/2013

I liked what OP had to say. When I was in ACOA (gay & lesbian), people started whining at meetings in September about how "Ohhhhh...I HAVE TO SHARE ABOUT THE HOLIDAYS. Even though I'm an adult, I HAVE TO GO AND VISIT MY FAMILY FOR THE HOLIDAYS."

I was always, like, "No, you don't. You're CHOOSING to go." But the whining continued through Christmas.

Eventually, I gave up on ACOA.

by Anonymousreply 1911/05/2013

[quote]which is never asked of hets.

What planet are you from? Everyone gets asked what their plans are. This is usually phrased in a variation of "are you seeing your family?", which, straight or gay implies extended family. As another person upthread stated, "are you going home?" simply means "are you going to your hometown where your extended family presumably still resides".

All of this gets asked of everyone at this time of year and it's not meant to belittle or deny the existance of anyone's spouse or partner or sexuality. These questions are only insensitive in the sense that many people don't have a family to go home to. I feel far worse for only children with two dead parents or (often gay) people who have been disowned who awkwardly smile and stutter out some vague euphemism just to be polite than some stupid, silly queen who presumes his gayness is being dismissed and has a big hissy fit over nothing.

The level of over-reaction is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 2011/05/2013

OP obviously has anger issues. Creating a problem when there isn't one. But don't worry OP, nobody cares where you're going and nobody is going to ask you about it.

by Anonymousreply 2211/05/2013

Weird, I thought I typed OP you are a weirdo.

Sorry, r1. You are right, not a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 2311/05/2013

OF COURSE it's asked of "the hets"!!

It's a simple way of asking if you are traveling back to where your parents live for the holidays, not implying that you don't have a HOME where you live...

Good GOD, OP. Talk about, wait for it,

........ MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 2411/05/2013

I think your anger is way extreme, OP. The world is filled with clueless (but often well-meaning)people.

I don't even worry about that kind of shit. As both a non-religious Jew and an atheist, I always just say, "I don't celebrate the holidays." Which is true.

by Anonymousreply 2511/05/2013

oh wow. "off his meds" comes to mind....

by Anonymousreply 2711/05/2013

Whats crazy is OP considers where he lives "home" and thats also where he spends his holidays. So if someone asks if he is going home for the holidays he can give an honest answer, say yes and shut the whole conversation down right there. Problem solved. But no. He would rather pitch a fit, whine and bitch and moan and create a problem where none exists. I will never understand people who prefer to stew in their own misery.

by Anonymousreply 2811/05/2013

oh dear. thanks to troll-dar i now know that this op has a weird fixation with "casting" different ethnic groups in classic films.

what an odd bird.

by Anonymousreply 2911/05/2013

I agree with a lot of what the OP is saying, however I'm not quite that unhinged about it. I probably used to be, though.

I used to get annoyed at intrusive questions about the holidays. I don't celebrate Christmas but love Thanksgiving.

People do ask rude questions about the holidays. They also assume that everybody celebrates the holidays. They assume that for everybody the holiday season is a happy time. Most people are clueless that there are people who aren't like themselves out in the world. After a while, it does get really tedious.

When I was younger when asked why I didn't celebrate I'd answer very truthfully about being physically abused as a child over the holidays or that I was an atheist and people asking the question obviously weren't prepared to hear an answer like I'd give.

Now I just ignore the questions. It's just easier and I no longer feel the need to be a dick about it, mostly because it does nothing to change the thinking process of those who buy into the bullshit we're fed about the holidays being joyous time for everybody.

by Anonymousreply 3011/05/2013

OP reminds me of the poster who got in a snit when people in his office would say "God bless you" when someone sneezed.

Doesn't it seem very similar?

(Also similar, at least in easy indignation, to the guy who didn't want to push the elevator buttons.)

by Anonymousreply 3111/05/2013

My married hetero sister and my single hetero sister (40, 38 respectively) both "go home" for Christmas. As do I, a partnered gay guy (34). How weird to be so pissed off over such a benign question.

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2013

I wonder if Janet Jackson feels infantilized when people ask her if she's going home for the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 3311/05/2013

Excellent post at R30.

And I agree with the OP and R30, even though I would not state it the way the OP states it and without the extreme anger.

Both the OP and R30 make accurate, pertinent points.

by Anonymousreply 3411/05/2013

r35 is right. OP is insane. EVERYONE is asked if they are 'going home for the holidays'. EVERY ONE.

Straight, gay, fat, thin, young and old.

It is a simple, common question asked around this time every year.

by Anonymousreply 3611/05/2013

The frequent question is NOT 'Are you going HOME for the holidays?' at all.

That's only the question if you are a college student, or in your 20's in age, or perhaps in your early 30's.

The common frequent question is 'What are you doing for the holidays?'

Very few people ask anyone over the age of 35 'Are you going HOME for the holidays?'

And then after Thanksgiving and Christmas, people at work drive you crazy by impinging on your privacy, being annoying, intruding on your personal life by never passing up a chance to ask 'How was your holiday?' 'How was your Thanksgiving?' 'How was your Christmas?'

by Anonymousreply 3711/05/2013

[quote]I wonder if Janet Jackson feels infantilized when people ask her if she's going home for the holidays.

Nope. She loves the question. Her only decision is which one of her palatial estates she will be visiting.

by Anonymousreply 3811/05/2013

OP is clearly angry and hurt that he either doesn't have a "home" to go to or he is not welcome there. It's a classic case of protesting too much.

by Anonymousreply 3911/05/2013

[quote]Very few people ask anyone over the age of 35 'Are you going HOME for the holidays?'

People of all ages get this question—or, at least, Are you traveling over the holidays— if they live somewhere other than where they grew up.

[quote]people at work drive you crazy by impinging on your privacy, being annoying, intruding on your personal life by never passing up a chance to ask 'How was your holiday?' 'How was your Thanksgiving?' 'How was your Christmas?'

Yes, it is such a huge violation of one's privacy to have to say, "Good, thanks; how was yours?"

by Anonymousreply 4011/05/2013

R40, 'Are you going HOME for the holidays?' is radically different from 'Are you TRAVELING over the holidays?'

The fact that you do not know the difference shows you are rather out to lunch.

by Anonymousreply 4211/05/2013

Home in this context means where your parents live. The insensitivity is to orphans, not homosexualists.

by Anonymousreply 4311/05/2013

People travel a lot during Thanksgiving and Christmas, but a lot of people are not traveling HOME during those times - they're taking vacations to the Caribbean, to ski resorts, to warm weather locations, to NYC, to Europe.

by Anonymousreply 4411/05/2013

First of all, 'Are you traveling home?' is not a frequent question and secondly, many people have dead parents.

by Anonymousreply 4511/05/2013

Going home for the holidays is just odd. My home is here where I have made my home.

by Anonymousreply 4811/05/2013

I want to spend the holidays with r33.

by Anonymousreply 4911/05/2013

R1, he already has.

by Anonymousreply 5011/05/2013

I ask everyone that but I`m 31.

by Anonymousreply 5111/05/2013

So OP, are you going home for the holidays?

by Anonymousreply 5211/05/2013

I want to go to the OP's house for the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 5311/05/2013

I don't mind people asking that, but what I DO mind is my 92-year-old mother still treating me like I'm in high school. (I'm 61 and retired.) I think it's because I've never had a family (spouse/kids) so our relationship hasn't really evolved.

by Anonymousreply 5411/05/2013

R54 yea, I can see how that would be annoying. But you know, there are a lot of 61 year olds who wish their mother was still around to treat them like a high school student.

by Anonymousreply 5511/05/2013

I never ask anyone what they're doing for the holidays. I don't care. Why would anyone care? I've never asked, "Have you got all your shopping done?" "Have you put your tree up?" or anything like that. I don't find it intrusive, it's just boring. I don't give a fuck if half the lights are out on your Christmas tree or if your car knocked down ornaments or if you baked cookies. If I had my way I'd spend November through April in Fiji.

by Anonymousreply 5611/05/2013

Cat, not car.

by Anonymousreply 5811/05/2013

[quote][R40], 'Are you going HOME for the holidays?' is radically different from 'Are you TRAVELING over the holidays?'

Sorry to get you all in a lather, r42; yeah, sure they are different questions—though unless you are going for the Mary of the Year award, I'm not sure the word "radically" belongs anywhere in a conversation about pro forma holiday chitchat—but the former is in fact asked quite frequently of people of all ages, orientations etc, if they happen to live somewhere other than their hometown, and especially if the asker knows they've got extended family, childhood friends, etc. whom they occasionally travel "home" to visit. Not really a big deal to those of us who can handle simple, ordinary social interactions (Is it really that hard to say, "Actually, no, I'm staying in town/heading for the beach/vacationing in Europe/sitting in front of my computer with just a bag of cheetos and my cum rag for companionship"? ) without seeking out all possible opportunities to take offense.

by Anonymousreply 5911/06/2013

Angry OP, do you live away from where you grew up? If so it is a perfectly reasonable question. I no many straight people here in LA and I ask them if they are going home for the holidays all the time. Home for the holidays is pretty much a cliche OP. Hell it's even the title of a movie. Calm the fcuk down and we'll see you on your next thread complaining about baby stroller blocking the aisle. Freak.

by Anonymousreply 6011/06/2013

Question for those who find it intrusive to be asked if you had a nice holiday: Are you closeted? Is that the real issue here? Do you suspect that everyone who asks about your holiday is secretly trying to ferret out information about your sexual orientation?

by Anonymousreply 6111/06/2013

For me it all comes down to the assumption that we all celebrate Christmas and some of rudeness I have had directed at me when I've made the mistake of answering the question What are you doing for Christmas?

When I've told people I don't celebrate Christmas, the majority of people won't leave it at that. I've been subjected to all kinds of rude comments over the years and for a while was just as rude back to people, but that got old.

I used to get a lot of "I didn't know you were Jewish."

One of my favorites is "What are you some kind of Grinch?" or "What's wrong with you, everybody loves Christmas?"

I've had friends who refuse to accept the fact that I don't celebrate and have been told "You can't spend Christmas by yourself" and will hound me to no ends for me to agree to come and spend Christmas with them and their families which to me is a special kind of hell. Everybody is always uncomfortable.

It just gets really old that people can't respect my wishes and beliefs and insist on my participating in something I don't believe in or want any part of. I don't begrudge anybody who does celebrate from enjoying the day. When I worked in places that were open 24/7, 365 days a year, I always made a point of volunteering to change shifts with single mothers who were stuck working. But even that would turn into a bunch of BS when somebody would complain about it because I wouldn't trade with them.

It's next to impossible to escape the holiday stuff even if you want to opt out of it.

by Anonymousreply 6311/06/2013

OP is really overthinking this innocuous question, which is also asked of straight singles.

You have issues.

by Anonymousreply 6411/06/2013

Just what do you call this, closet-case moron at r62:

[quote]And then after Thanksgiving and Christmas, people at work drive you crazy by impinging on your privacy, being annoying, intruding on your personal life by never passing up a chance to ask 'How was your holiday?' '

Or, do you believe that poster was also trying to "higjack" this otherwise-scintillating thread?

by Anonymousreply 6511/06/2013

R63, I worked with an older woman years ago who would spend every Christmas in Florida with her husband. She went there to get away from all the holiday hoopla because it got her depressed. Their teenage son had committed suicide right before Christmas years earlier. Everyone knew the story and left her the fuck alone.

Maybe you should make up a reason like that to tell people when they harass you. Tell them your twin brother committed suicide on Christmas eve years ago and you just can't be around all that holiday cheer. Bonus---it'll make those intrusive assholes feel bad for even asking you.

by Anonymousreply 6611/06/2013

SOMEone needs some Sanka decaffeinated coffee!

by Anonymousreply 6711/06/2013

This thread is filled with elderly gays who clearly need to change their tampons.

by Anonymousreply 6811/06/2013

My god there are some angry, touchy people on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6911/06/2013

OP, people wish me merry Xmas and I'm Jewish. Used to bother me that the assumption was everyone was Xtian but I've mellowed and no longer give a damn. I suggest you do the same.

by Anonymousreply 7011/06/2013

Hey, OP... I'm on your lawn.

by Anonymousreply 7111/06/2013

Home is where I live.

My mother us still alive, but she lives in FL and I wouldn't be caught dead there. Aside from being a crime-ridden red state, she moved to the middle of nowhere, so there's no ocean and she has no pool. She sits around watching Fox News all day long and praying the rosary. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 7211/06/2013

No emotionally secure 52 year old is concerned about being "infantized," no matter what horrid expressions of holiday cheer are thoughtlessly hurled his way.

by Anonymousreply 7411/06/2013

The sheer volume and intensity of personality disorders on display in this thread is breathtaking.

Seek help or find some perspective.

by Anonymousreply 7611/06/2013

Happy Holidays, R75!

by Anonymousreply 7711/06/2013

[quote] [R74]= defensive// aggressive mean-spirited frauen. Has to dig and attack because she feels exposed and fears the marginalization she desperately wants to apply to someone else before someone applies it to her.

All that from a simple, factual observation? MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 7811/06/2013

Wow, r75. Who are you on the Datalounge Facebook page, please, so I can go and make fun of your profile picture?

by Anonymousreply 7911/06/2013

OP has more issues than a doctors office waiting room...

by Anonymousreply 8011/06/2013

Other person: How was your holiday?

Me: Boring. Yours?

They proceed to talk about their holiday. I don't really listen.

When they finish talking

Me: Nice.

by Anonymousreply 8111/06/2013

What is home? And what is Thanksgiving? Is it a day to give thanks that you're not being raped and beaten?

by Anonymousreply 8211/06/2013

If the people in your office feel like they can come be chatty with you about their boring ass families then you're doing something wrong. Work harder on scaring them off completely.

by Anonymousreply 8311/06/2013

Exactly, r81. The vast majority of people who inquire about your holiday don't really want or expect many details. They are just trying to be polite. If you don't care to discuss the subject, a vague, one-sentence answer ("Just planning to relax—how about you?" "Had a nice time, thanks; you?") will suffice. The worst thing that might happen is that you'll be subjected to the boring details of the other person's holiday.

And if you don't celebrate at all, nobody will bat an eye at "Oh, I don't celebrate the holiday, but I hope you did/do enjoy it." Most people really are NOT trying to force you to feel the same way about holidays that they do; they just want to be pleasant, make polite small talk and, ironically, avoid the possibility that they'll offend you if they don't display a little bit of interest in your life. You have to have a shitload of issues, including a serious victim complex, to view such mundane and largely meaningless exchanges as minefields of hostility, offense, and homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 8411/06/2013

SO, how is your bowel movement coming along now that you are pregnant?

Gee, can I rub your belly and feel it?

So, what kind of diet and fitness program are you planning to go on to loose all the weight gain?

You must be horny as hell, since I bet your husband quit wanting sex with you months ago?

[quote]The vast majority of people who inquire about your pregnancy don't really want or expect many details. They are just trying to be polite. If you don't care to discuss the subject, a vague, one-sentence answer ("Just routine —how about you?" "Having a nice time, thanks; you?") will suffice. The worst thing that might happen is that you'll be subjected to the boring details of the other person's pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 8511/06/2013

It is ridiculous for a grown adult who has made their own home to call their parents' place "home". When you were kids, did your parents refer to your grandparents' place as "home"? Of course not. Your home is the home you live in and have made for yourself, just like theirs is. I do not go to my parents' place for the holidays because we are not close. I stay home. Sometimes I'll celebrate with people who are also in the city, and sometimes I'll just hang by myself. So yes, it does feel intrusive when people ask about my holidays because if you don't give them the expected answer, they pity you, and it is an awkward feeling.

by Anonymousreply 8611/06/2013

Then learn to get along better, R86. We can't all tiptoe around basic conversation because people like you aren't stewing at home alone 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 8711/06/2013

Heaven forfend you should ever feel awkward, R86.

And yes, when we went to visit her parents, my mom did say, "We're going home to see the folks."

by Anonymousreply 8811/06/2013

But OP, you could never create the kind of home a non-penised human can. A woman's touch is inimitable.

by Anonymousreply 8911/06/2013

>>So, what kind of diet and fitness program are you planning to go on to loose all the weight gain?

It's ridiculous for a grown man to say loose when he should say lose, r85.

by Anonymousreply 9011/06/2013

So, OP, how's the umbrage twenty-four hours on?

by Anonymousreply 9111/06/2013

R85, what pray tell is your point?

[quote]It is ridiculous for a grown adult who has made their own home to call their parents' place "home". When you were kids, did your parents refer to your grandparents' place as "home"

Of course not, but if they'd moved away permanently from their hometown (which unfortunately they did not), I could see them referring to the town in general as "home." It's a very common convention, as in the saying "You can't go home again," the expression "homecoming," or the book title "Look Homeward, Angel," to cite just three of a zillion examples.

[quote] So yes, it does feel intrusive when people ask about my holidays because if you don't give them the expected answer, they pity you, and it is an awkward feeling.

Are you sure you're not projecting? I's kind of hard to believe you can't say "I'm going to stay in town and relax and see friends" or whatever, without creating an awkward situation.

BTW, weirdos, you're allowed to LIE a little about your holidays if you feel the truth will incite pity or provoke questions you don't want to answer; for instance, it's really okay to say, "The holiday was great, thanks," even if it sucked donkey balls.

I swear this place is the world headquarters for autism spectrum disorders and general social dysfunction. Only among DLers could a simple question about holiday plans or request to push an elevator button leave people quaking with rage. Friday afternoons and Monday mornings must be weekly social nightmares for you freaks, what with all those evil, malicious bastards inquiring about your weekend plans!

by Anonymousreply 9211/06/2013

R92, I never said it wasn't common. I said it was ridiculous. I realize it's extremely common, as I live in the world.

by Anonymousreply 9311/06/2013

I'm 40 years old, and my mother still makes me sit at the kids' table at holidays because I don't have a family. My younger brother and sister get to sit at the adult table since they are both married and have kids. It makes me feel marginalized because I'm gay and not considered a serious adult. Do you think I'm being too sensitive?

I confronted my mother over it last year and she said that there isn't enough room and it wouldn't be right to ask my in-laws to at another table.

by Anonymousreply 9411/06/2013

[quote] [R92], I never said it wasn't common. I said it was ridiculous. I realize it's extremely common, as I live in the world.

You said it was "ridiculous for a grown adult to refer to his parents' place as home." Since no one actually does THAT, it's not common at all—which apparently even you recognize, since your next two sentences were

[quote]When you were kids, did your parents refer to your grandparents' place as "home"? Of course not.

If you want to make the point that "home" as in "hometown" is ridiculous, you need to communicate that more clearly. But, really, can't you think of something better to complain about?

by Anonymousreply 9511/06/2013

Wow, it never occurred to me to be insulted by that question.

Although those years wasted - when I could have had something else to dread about the holiday season.

by Anonymousreply 9711/06/2013

Wow, r94. Grow. A. Spine.

by Anonymousreply 9811/07/2013

Boundaryless people tend not to have boundaries, R97

by Anonymousreply 9911/07/2013

idea for a new thread - other nebulous non-offensive questions that make DL go ballistic.

Any $18 enabler feel free to leap in...

by Anonymousreply 10011/07/2013

[quote]Are you closeted? Is that the real issue here?

I think you are on to something.

by Anonymousreply 10111/09/2013

Are you really this concrete, OP, 52 year old, asshole?

by Anonymousreply 10211/09/2013

R94, I'd stay home. Your real home. Where your stuff is. Where your dog and/or cat live.

by Anonymousreply 10311/09/2013

OP, these comments are called small talk. No one cares what the answer is.

by Anonymousreply 10411/09/2013

Infantizing is not a word.

by Anonymousreply 10511/10/2013

neither is O.

by Anonymousreply 10611/10/2013

OP has a big pink chip on his shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 10711/10/2013

Wow: a mite tetchy, aren't you OP?

by Anonymousreply 10811/10/2013

Have any of you nitwits thought that maybe people ask you about your holiday plans because they realize you're estranged from your parents/siblings and would like to offer you a meal and a place to park your ass outside of your own home for a couple of hours? With no judgement and no ulterior motive.

The drama llama does not have to be called all the time.

by Anonymousreply 10911/10/2013

Well, let's see, R16 = R35 = R40 = R59 = R61 = R65 = R78 = R84 = R92 = R95 = R96 = R110...

Looks like OP hit a nerve on you, sister. You must be one of the ff who does just what he noted. (troll dar is our friend.)

by Anonymousreply 11111/11/2013

Op's an idiot.

Next?

by Anonymousreply 11211/11/2013

If you arent living a miserable life of man and wife, babies, and dreary suburban monotony, you are nothing.

by Anonymousreply 11411/11/2013

R115 has reading comprehension issues.

by Anonymousreply 11611/11/2013

r114 explain your comment then.

It appears you are saying that anyone who is happy with a partner and a child is an idiot, and bored.

It appears you are saying that gay people are not (1) single and (2) defiantly UNLIKE straight people in surface ways are more authentic.

I would guess you have used the word "heteronormative" in your life, non-ironically.

by Anonymousreply 11711/11/2013

^^ gay people WHO are not single ^^

by Anonymousreply 11811/11/2013

My guess would be that r11 was trying to make some loony-tunes point along the lines of "If you think it's no big deal to ask people about their holiday plans, you must be a right-wing 'family values' advocate!"

by Anonymousreply 11911/11/2013

Which is just as stupid as my possibly wrong interpretation, r119.

It IS NO BIG DEAL when people ask people about their holiday plans, and has nothing to do with being a creepy 'family values' person.

by Anonymousreply 12011/11/2013

[quote]Which is just as stupid as my possibly wrong interpretation, [R119].

Agreed; that's why I called it "loony tunes."

by Anonymousreply 12111/11/2013

holy crap.

by Anonymousreply 12211/27/2013

OP, touchy much?

Looks like you are still trying to make peace with yourself on this subject.

by Anonymousreply 12311/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.