Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

November is Neely O'Hara Month on TCM!

I'm dying to see the first re-airing of "Boxing Helen" in years!

Despite what Helen Lawson thought, it had nothing to do with her. O'Hara as a female pugilist was a Hollywood first and Hillary Swank's (supposed) remake, as "Million Dollar Baby", was a far cry from the grunts and battering that O'Hara provided.

I'm also looking forward to O'Hara's film, "It's Impossible!", to air later this month. Neely really hit her stride with this story of a fat woman who becomes not only thin, but a (cryptic) lesbian and a voodoo queen, to boot. One of her scariest and most complex films.

God, so many others to talk about.

What are your favorite Neely O'Hara films?

Trivia question: What was the last O'Hara film in which Tony Polar sang, only as a favor to Jennifer North? Post your response here on DL and check for prizes on TCM!

So much to talk about. Let's go!

by Robert Osbournereply 7208/24/2014

Do any of you Hollywood insiders know if the missing footage from "Love and Let Love" can ever be found?

by Robert Osbournereply 211/04/2013

by Robert Osbournereply 411/04/2013

I adored her in 'The Gin Runeth Over' where she played a battered wife who wages her own personal war against the bottle.

Her tear-inducing rendition of "I Found My Heart (At The Bottom Of The Bottle)" left a lasting impression of pathos and sheer talent.

I also liked her jazzy tune, "Skid Row Dames."

by Robert Osbournereply 511/04/2013

Well I guess that shows who's got the chops, R6.

by Robert Osbournereply 711/04/2013

[quote]I'm also looking forward to O'Hara's film, "It's Impossible!", to air later this month. Neely really hit her stride with this story of a fat woman who becomes not only thin, but a (cryptic) lesbian and a voodoo queen, to boot. One of her scariest and most complex films.

OMG, I'd forgotten that one!

While the plot is murky, I clearly remember her asking her cursed dickies ex-husband who left her because of the s'mores voodoo rituals if he can keep up with her.

Then she goes running while sticking pins in a Miss Beasley doll!

by Robert Osbournereply 811/04/2013

by Robert Osbournereply 911/04/2013

Her later work is more regrettable.

When she played the former daughter of a Nazi on the run in the fields of Wisconsin in "Call Me Hannah," well, it was just awful.

by Robert Osbournereply 1011/04/2013

Twentieth century Fox wanted to remake "The Dolly Sisters" with Neely in a dual role {"twice as exciting!") but the title triggered a relapse for Neely. Ditto for the planned remake of "Oh, You Beautiful Doll!" and plans for Neely to play Minnie Fay in "Hello. Dolly!".

by Robert Osbournereply 1111/04/2013

Her performance in "That's About Enough!" as the harried but saintly housewife who goes undercover to find out who blackmailed her husband (played by the wretched Peter Sellers in role he was completely miscast for) was rumored to be the time she started doing the hard stuff. In the scene at the shopping center (a real retro-trip!) you can almost see track marks.

by Robert Osbournereply 1211/04/2013

Don't forget her turn in "The Earth is Good." She plays a missionary in pre-Revolutionary China who becomes the concubine of a wealthy landowner and then a "pleasure girl" for the invading Japanese. Harrowing performance.

by Robert Osbournereply 1311/04/2013

My absolute favorite is "Shegun" in which English Ship's Captain Neely sails to Japan to establish trade and becomes a Japanese Knight.

Early in the movie, Neely gets peed on by a shogun after yellow-faced Shirley Booth translates a slur for the Japanese government. Much to everyone's amazement, this uncircumcised shogun is her future husband!

Then, Shirley tells the government to kill an old man for choking his chicken and Neely has to deal with the Shogun that treats old people peasants as garbage.

The movie wraps with a rousing dance number as Shirley sings, "Getting to Know You".

by Robert Osbournereply 1411/04/2013

As incredible an actress and star as she is, I can't help still being disappointed that she got the lead role in the film version of NO GREATER GLORY. Everyone knows the only one who deserved it was the luminescent Lora Meredith. She still could've made it work had they used the same cinematographer and makeup man Lucy used for MAME.

by Robert Osbournereply 1611/04/2013

Tony and Neely's double feature extravaganza "Bi-Polar" was eerily prescient . . .

by Robert Osbournereply 1711/04/2013

A favorite of mine was the industrial film "The Miracle-Gro Worker" in which a blind, deaf, club-footed Neely manages to create a healthy turf using a combination of Scott seeds, DDT, and Miracle-Gro.

The end scene always brings a tear to my eye - Neely repeatedly yelling "Wah-uh" as she hoses down the sod.

They say she took five Librium to achieve the thatching scene. How actors do suffer for their art.

by Robert Osbournereply 1811/04/2013

157 is not hundreds R6.

by Robert Osbournereply 1911/04/2013

There was a rumor going around that Neely was going to appear in Schindlers List. Thank god, it wasn't true. Like that crazy rumor that Judy was going to appear in Judgement in Nuremberg. That would have been nutty.

by Robert Osbournereply 2011/04/2013

Did anyone see Neely when she replaced Nell Carter in the last revival of ANNIE? I heard she'd been "working" as a greeter at a church in Jersey before she got the gig.

by Robert Osbournereply 2111/04/2013

She's billed after Yma Sumac, Judy Canova, and Eddie Bracken in "Carnival in Omaha," which was supposedly her big comeback attempt after the "Tell Me Darling" debacle. She's onscreen for about five minutes wearing a dirndl and singing "Mairzy Doats" while riding on a ferris wheel. Her performance is beyond camp she's so awful. Pauline Kael said that her singing was the aural equivalent of a Nembutal.

by Robert Osbournereply 2211/04/2013

I remember her turn as Joyce de Watt, the seductive neighbor, in that HBO movie "Red Panties on Wednesday."

They still talk about the scene with the electric cattle prod and ping pong balls on IMDB.

by Robert Osbournereply 2311/04/2013

I was a mere child when I first witnessed the legend that is Neely O'Hara. It was a Sunday night in the mid '80s. I turned on the TV and there was Neely, playing herself (as well as her mother in the early years) in the two-part ABC made-for-TV movie, "Inside the Dollhouse: The Neely O'Hara Story." I was moved to tears in that one scene where, fresh off a marathon concert performance at Madison Square Garden in the pouring rain, Neely headed straight to the bedside of a teen prostitute she took under her wing at rehab, and sang "I Come to Thee, Dear Lord" just before the girl succumbed to an undisclosed illness. That scene alone should've netted Neely the Emmy. Why it went to Marlo Thomas that year is beyond me.

When you think about it, it was very brave of Neely to relive those painful moments she endured in life: the abusive, alcoholic mother who squandered Neely's savings on lavish shopping sprees; the ineffectual, traveling salesman father who showed his love by acquiescing to Neely's childish whims; the child molesting youth pastor whose actions caused her to lose faith; the bisexual ex-husband who she caught in bed with her trusted male publicist/drug pusher/procurer; the Saudi prince who tried to keep her as a sex slave; and, of course, her addictions to booze, pills, gambling, and dangerous men, and her inspiring recovery, relapse, and re-recovery. Again, Emmy worthy performance. Ms. Thomas should've been prosecuted for theft.

by Robert Osbournereply 2511/04/2013

And to think at her lowest point there was that brawl Neely got into with little Missy when she had to audition(oh, the humiliation!)for a part in BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN. Poor, drugged out Neely thought she was up for Missy's role when it was actually the role that ultimately went to Joan Crawford for which she was auditioning! But our girl bounced back! Who said Hollywood had no heart?

by Robert Osbournereply 2611/04/2013

[quote] when it was actually the role that ultimately went to Joan Crawford for which she was auditioning!

It was actually the role of the mother.

by Robert Osbournereply 2711/04/2013

Too bad TCM won't be airing her infamous appearance on THE RED SHOE DIARIES from 1993 where she played Trelawney, the dominatrix/brothel madame. The memory of her spanking David Duchovny's bare buttocks while shrieking, "Bark, you insolent pup, bark!" makes me giggle even now.

by Robert Osbournereply 2811/04/2013

Don't forget her misbegotten attempt to conquer Broadway in the Jerry Herman-penned musical "Helen!" In retrospect, it was the miscasting of Tina Louise as Annie Sullivan that really ruined the show.

by Robert Osbournereply 2911/04/2013

They showed "Shadow of the Vampire Clone" (1981) on late-night MeTV last month, every Neely fan should catch that one. It's her "Strait Jacket", it's that bad!

If she seems to have her back to the camera half the time, it's because of the arrest and forced trip to rehab (you know, the Wilshire Blvd incident). The production reportedly had no insurance on her, and they just kept shooting with Troy McClure and a stand-in. Neely did most of her close-ups months later.

by Robert Osbournereply 3011/05/2013

Ok, that made me snort my cocktail out my nose.

by Robert Osbournereply 3111/05/2013

Did anyone on DL around 1979 catch NEEL TAKE MANHATTAN, her cabaret act at Les Mouche? She was doing a lot of coke then and trying for more of a pop/rock kind of sound, covering "Psycho Killer" and "Heart of Glass." And some new ones by Dory Previn, of course.

I don't think she played there for long, but people are still talking about it.

by Robert Osbournereply 3211/05/2013

[quote]Generations of younger fans know Neely O'Hara from her syndicated sitcom, TOUCHY NEELY (1983-1987). More so than from her legendary stage and movie musical turns. Neely's wacky New Age massage therapist made TV Guide's list of Top Komic Klowns in 1997. And then there's her recurring bit on SMALL WONDER.

by Robert Osbournereply 3311/05/2013

Her final film, the musical "Rhinestone Cowgirl" (completed by a body double) is a personal fave. Her pairing with Glen Campbell really set off brushfires. Some were whispering "Oscar", at the time.

The title song was later re-worked and became a huge comeback hit for Glen (Also starring Chill Wills and Thelma Ritter. Directed by Vincente Minnelli).

by Robert Osbournereply 3511/06/2013

What about her 1962 musical "Song of the Yucatan" where she peforms a creatively obscene version of the Mexcian Hat Dance? You will never look at a mariachi band the same way.

by Robert Osbournereply 3611/06/2013

Not many people know this - but Neely auditioned to play the role of Fred MacMurray's wife on MY THREE SONS. When Beverly Garland got the role, Neely was crushed.

The good news is that that the test was shown a lot around Hollywood and landed Neely the part of Boxcar Betty in WHOSE THE CABOOSE.... I love to watch her singing "Kiss My Aspidistra" on top of the movie train!

Sure it was Allied Artists and sure it was directed by George Blair - but it was in COLOR!

by Robert Osbournereply 3711/06/2013

It's so unfair. We all know that Janie Lord blew the Head--no pun intended--to derail Neely's career, just at the time when the studio was tired of her vulnerabilities.

When Century Pictures lost Neely, they lost their last great star.

by Robert Osbournereply 3811/06/2013

Oh, R27, just STOP IT! I realize you Neely stans are hurt that she was reduced to auditioning for roles in Crawford's range. At least she had the pride to turn down that offer for TROG because she would've been unrecognizable in the missing link makeup. And look how her career bounced back! And all it took was 2 years as the spokeswoman for FDS.

by Robert Osbournereply 3911/06/2013

{quote] And all it took was 2 years as the spokeswoman for FDS.

I loved when she was on screen and the camera would pan to her camel toe, and then the word "SPARKLE" would emerge from her snatch.

No wonder FDS saw such a spike in sales!

by Robert Osbournereply 4011/06/2013

"I'm Neely O'Hara, and even I have days when I feel... not so fresh."

"I mean, not so fresh... down there."

"I mean, in my lady parts."

"Really, not at all fresh. The opposite, in fact."

by Robert Osbournereply 4111/06/2013

Remember Neely's unlikely flirtation with lesbian chic in the early 90s?

It was right after BASIC INSTINCT had come out and made Sharon Stone a star. The always boyish (now middle-aged) Neely thought her new do would bring the sexy scripts her way. She was palling around with Sandra Bernhard all over LA and claimed to have dated Jenny Shimuzu.

But all she got was that lousy RED SHOES DIARIES guest spot.

by Robert Osbournereply 4311/07/2013

Can anyone tell me what REALLY happened with the "Dynasty" audition?

by Robert Osbournereply 4411/07/2013

Here's Neely starting another day with a heaping cup of optimism!

by Robert Osbournereply 4511/07/2013

One last one from the NOH scrapbooks: Neely and her Glam Squad were working overtime to make that GILLIAN GIRL endorsement contract happen. J'adore les ringlets! And she's taking a note from besty Anne Wells with that "Baby Doll Blush" lip gloss and rouge.

by Robert Osbournereply 4611/07/2013

Old studio clip trying to upstage Helen Lawson below.

by Robert Osbournereply 4711/07/2013

A rare still from Neely's DYNASTY audition tape.

Neely was deep into character as Claudia Blaisdel. Whether it was the artificial stimulants, an excess of Stanislavsky technique, or some misconception that this was a story of demonic possession, she frightened the Shapiros (the creators and headwriters) and sent Esther S screaming from the room. Later, Aaron Spelling said her face looked like 5 miles of the Pacific Coast Highway and Nolan Miller concurred: "Girl, there's nothin' I could do to dress up that old bar rag!"

The part went instead to the younger and less complicated Miss Pamela Bellwood.

by Robert Osbournereply 4811/07/2013

Personally I'm partial to Neely's 1976 semi-biographical Musical-Drama "Glitz!" Miss O'Hara plays Merle Lawrence, a once dazzling star of stage & screen turned washed-up single mother living in Yonkers, NY. She deliciously chews scenery as we watch her claw her way back from ghetto squalor, to soap operas, the game show circuit & ultimately a triumphant return to Broadway! Who could forget the marvelous Top 10 hits 'It's Sweeter The 2nd Time Around' & 'It's My Show (Baby, I Wanna Star!)'? Pure magic!

by Robert Osbournereply 4911/07/2013

My pussy stinks

by Robert Osbournereply 5111/07/2013

By 1970, Neely’s reputation in the business had gotten so bad that her agent, Sue Mengers, could only line her up for commercial gigs, "independent films," and private parties. One particular week, Sue sent her on back to back auditions, including a callback for a Serta Perfect Sleeper mattress commercial. Neely, arrived on set completely zonked out of her mind. Present were the casting director and his crew, Madison Avenue admen, the Serta CEO and his wife, a big Neely fan. When the director instructed Neely to get on the mattress and "wow us," Neely, clearly not remembering which audition this was for, promptly got on all fours and aimed her pantyless ass toward the ceiling. "What the hell are you doing??" demanded the astonished director.

"Honey," Neely sassed, "if you need me to show you how we play 'Nailing Neely,' that'll cost you extra!" She didn't get the gig.

by Robert Osbournereply 5311/08/2013

Neely had that awful sitcom about being the first woman president. It only lasted for 3 or 4 episodes.

Rumor has it the head of ABC walked in on Henry Winkler and Robin Williams having a swordfight in her mouth. All Neely could say was, "Mmmphrrhmpph."

by Robert Osbournereply 5411/08/2013

R55, you left out that the autistic boy was dyslexic as well so every time he would type something on the computer, it would be something like "He tcouhed me on my sipen" or "I told him on! ON!"

by Robert Osbournereply 5511/08/2013

Recently saw her on a rerun of "Emergency!" where she played a nymphomaniac / pyromaniac. It was worth it just for the scene where she sets a bookstore on fire and then throws her head back in orgasmic ecstasy.

by Robert Osbournereply 5611/08/2013

I want to hear about that one too, R58 .

by Robert Osbournereply 5711/08/2013

And r60 that's the real reason!

by Robert Osbournereply 5811/08/2013

by Robert Osbournereply 5911/08/2013

by Robert Osbournereply 6011/09/2013

Anne's commercial is on tonight!

by Robert Osbournereply 6111/10/2013

by Robert Osbournereply 6211/16/2013

nothing nothing at all

by Robert Osbournereply 6311/17/2013

I don't know how I missed all this.

Are they going to show ALL of those movies you mentioned?

by Robert Osbournereply 6411/17/2013

R68 yup

by Robert Osbournereply 6511/17/2013

None of today's stars will ever come close to achieving Miss O'Hara's glowing contribution to the music and moving picture industry.

by Robert Osbournereply 6602/27/2014

Does anyone have details on the time Linda Evans pushed Neely down a flight on stairs? I heard that incident made her fall off the wagon.

by Robert Osbournereply 6708/24/2014

Her Peter Pan was worse than Mia Farrow's. Although I have to admit, Elaine Stritch made a captivating Captain Hook. Still, whoever heard of setting Never Never Land in Nazi Germany? Fucking directors!

by Robert Osbournereply 6808/24/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!