Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Johnny Weir commentator NBC sports Ice skating

Johnny weir is working in his new role as a NBC Sports commentator at a grand prix event. Today on NBC I was half watching while I worked at the computer. I finally paid some attention because I was impressed by the comments being made.

Damned if it isn't Johnny, you don't see much of him but his commentary is good, very good, maybe even better than that. It is not about Johnny, it is about skating, the skating world and it's minutia. He really knows his shit. Skaters would be well served by paying attention to his commentary. He is also, soft, generous and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 3504/07/2014

Somebody hired Johnny some p.r. to do damage control after his Russian remarks. Well, I suppose he does have to make a living, and Pariah Status doesn't get it done. But he'll have to do more before we accept him as our brother.

by Anonymousreply 111/03/2013

He's actually pretty good. Once he removes his tongue from the asshole of Mother Russia, he can speak very well.

by Anonymousreply 211/03/2013

[R2] Johnny is respected in Russia, has friends there. He was interested in Russian culture long before the regime starting spreading the hate against homos. It's not like they don't know he is queer. He will change more people minds there by staying out of that fray and doing his job which is about skating not politics.

There is more than one way to deal with this kind of hate. He would not be very convincing mincing an outrage at Russia.

by Anonymousreply 311/03/2013

Agree.. Johnny is a death of fresh airr. I too was half watching and listening but his comments caught my attention. Very impressive. All about the skatng and the skater. Very deep, very thoughtful, and very multidimensional.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2013

Johnny is most definitely a breath of fresh air with very meaningful comments. I was very taken by the way he delivered his critique of the skating and skater. He is very soft-spoken and sweet but at the same time absolutely on point with his commentary. Best commentary I've heard in years. Bar none.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2013

He's an idiot and you're all stans.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2013

I watched the skating program again today. No doubt that he will be a real asset in Russia.

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2013

I was looking forward to hearing and seeing Johnny today on NBC's coverage of the US Nationals, after enjoying a couple of those Grand Prix events NBC chose to air, and yet...

No Johnny, but instead the tired and boring Scotty Hamilton, who has nothing bad to say, ever, and rarely anything interesting.

I hope NBC takes Weir to Sochi, even if it is only as a color commentary/sidelines/ feature reporter. Scott H is a suckup

by Anonymousreply 901/11/2014

[quote]Johnny is a death of fresh air

With one typo, a catch phrase is born.

by Anonymousreply 1001/11/2014

Well he can't be any worse than Dick Button.

by Anonymousreply 1101/11/2014

But Dick Button was fabulous, r11, exactly because he was always himself and not under the control of the national team or the network looking to promote whomever.

That's why Hamilton and so many of the hand-picked NBC analysts suck (even including, possibly, Apollo Ohno in spped skating, who seems to have drunk the rah-rah potion).

Button would speak his mind, live, when he felt like it. "Well, that's just unacceptable" about an American princess missing a jump. "That spin could be a lot tighter" about a US favorite.

"He's a tall drink of water, isn't he?" (My favorite) Randomly, about some guy skating. Or, something about wanting to fire the costumer when someone looked objectively hideous.

And when he was excited about a good performance-- "Marvelous!" "Exquisite." "Simply beautiful." And you knew he meant it.

But for all of that, no one was more knowledgeable about the scoring system, the international biases, and the histories of the competing skaters than Button was in his prime. Smart, funny and good.

Johnny Weir could take up that bitchy/honest mantle. Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 1201/11/2014

If only Tai and Randy were here.

by Anonymousreply 1301/11/2014

Like Button, when Weir and (to my surprise) Tara Lipinski do the commentary we actually learn about figure skating and also why they think the judges score the way they do, whether they agree with it or not. Screamy Scott Hamilton and Sandra "speech impediment" Bezic need to go. Pronto.

My favorite Dick Button quote " Well, that's a rather unattractive position"- and it was about Nancy Kerrigan!

by Anonymousreply 1401/11/2014

Johnny looks like he has inherited Trump's comb over.

by Anonymousreply 1501/11/2014

[quote] It is not about Johnny, it is about skating, the skating world and it's minutia. He really knows his shit.

He was a skater... so shouldn't he know his shit?

by Anonymousreply 1601/11/2014

I understand Johnny is now straight

by Anonymousreply 1701/11/2014

[quote] He was a skater... so shouldn't he know his shit?

Yes and he does. He is a perfect example of "those who can't do, teach."

Weir was never a top level skater.

by Anonymousreply 1801/11/2014

Is Dick no longer a commentator? He was the best

by Anonymousreply 1901/11/2014

Johnny is rocking the clothes, and the air-waves at the Sochi Olympics:

by Anonymousreply 2002/09/2014

"Its," OP. Please.

by Anonymousreply 2102/09/2014

[quote]It is not about Johnny, it is about skating, the skating world and it's minutia. He really knows his shit.

by Anonymousreply 2202/09/2014

R5 and R6 are the same poster. Fuck off you Qweirs!

by Anonymousreply 2302/09/2014

I understand having Dick Button and Scott Hamilton and Peggy Fleming and Tra Lipinski as Olympic commentators--they were all Olympic gold medalists. And Nancy Kerrigan at least won a silver.

Johnny Weir never medalled at all, did he? He never even brought home a bronze. Why not ask in his place Brian Boitano, or Paul Wylie (silver), or even Timothy Goebel (bronze)?

by Anonymousreply 2402/09/2014

Johnny Weir looked fabulous in his Tarzan loincloth.

by Anonymousreply 2502/09/2014

Transparent nonsense. Nobody worthwhile would watch his drivel.

by Anonymousreply 2602/09/2014

Is his chest ever going to develop? He is still so creepily slender--he has a body like a woman's.

by Anonymousreply 2702/09/2014

He's rocking the Pee Wee Herman look on Gawker. What up PW?

by Anonymousreply 2802/09/2014

Johnny is more intelligent and articulate, R24.

by Anonymousreply 2902/09/2014

[R26] No one worthwhile would comment on it either. Who do you think you are kidding?

by Anonymousreply 3002/09/2014

I have been watching him an Tara and I think he generates a lot of interest in comparison to the snooze-worthy old guard. He also knows Russia and is way open which so many of the other men are not. Would Boitano ever have come out for the Korea games?

by Anonymousreply 3102/17/2014

I liked Johnny and Tara's commentary....but he looked like a fucking clown.

I liked LISTENING to it - but not watching him.

And if he loves Russia so much, why doesn't he marry it?

by Anonymousreply 3202/17/2014

He did marry it. He is married to a Russian-American.

He was also a top 5 skater at one point? I am sure he has finished in the top 5 at Worlds.

by Anonymousreply 3302/17/2014

His best finish was 3rd at the 2008 Worlds.

by Anonymousreply 3402/17/2014

NBC paid Olympic figure skating commentator Johnny Weir $25,000 for his announcing work in Sochi.

The network also gave him $40K for a total of eight personal appearances after the Olympics. Weir has turned out to be far less marketable than first expected.

by Anonymousreply 3504/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!